Too Expensive

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Factor in the loss of income until March 2021 (possibly) and SUFC like many clubs across the leagues,
won't be looking at multi-million pound deals, so why be surprised if there's little movement on incomings?

Liverpool fans seem to really rate Brewster and some don't even want to loan him out this season and would like to see him involved with the first team, doesn't mean he's worth what is being touted but it's an interesting slant on the debate
I remember Liverpool fans commenting on the fact that our “ Dinosaur” manager wasn’t playing their previous wonder kid, on loan with us.

I've forgot the wonder kid’s name, but pretty sure he’s somewhere like Oxford at the moment.

Let's sign a positive score accomplisher to add to our roster before the trade semester expires.

Go Steel Swordsmen.

I remember Liverpool fans commenting on the fact that our “ Dinosaur” manager wasn’t playing their previous wonder kid, on loan with us.

I've forgot the wonder kid’s name, but pretty sure he’s somewhere like Oxford at the moment.
Woodburn, quite right they did but doesn't mean they are wrong re Brewster, we all thought Diego was a wonder kid as well, not easy I suppose

Woodburn, quite right they did but doesn't mean they are wrong re Brewster, we all thought Diego was a wonder kid as well, not easy I suppose
No, agreed. But in itself it’s not a great way of justifying a huge price tag. 😀

Factor in the loss of income until March 2021 (possibly) and SUFC like many clubs across the leagues,
won't be looking at multi-million pound deals, so why be surprised if there's little movement on incomings?

I get that we will have a smaller budget due to loses due to COVID

But how much will we lose if we get relegated ??

Far far far far more than if were refusing to pay the extra £5 Million on a striker that we need to make sure were not in relegation scrap

You're moving the goalposts now. The point being made is he isn't worth £25M and he's unproven.
I want Brewster, Balogun and one of the Norwich lads on loan, but I wouldn't pay over £18M upfront on Rhian because we don't have the funds to take the risk.
Funnily enough, CWAK and Bettis don't give too much of a fuck as to what I want.

Risk ? Every signing we have ever made is a risk

Its a lot more of a risk to start the season with the same strike force as last year which we know isnt good enough for the premier league

We'll lose a lot more money if we get relegated

Risk ? Every signing we have ever made is a risk

Its a lot more of a risk to start the season with the same strike force as last year which we know isnt good enough for the premier league

We'll lose a lot more money if we get relegated
Brewster isn't going to save us from relegation if that is where we're heading (I also think that assumption is nonsense too, and again not based on anything but blind panic).
If you are wanting to spend £25M to improve our chances of staying up this season, then you would definitely spend it elsewhere.

I get that we will have a smaller budget due to loses due to COVID

But how much will we lose if we get relegated ??

Far far far far more than if were refusing to pay the extra £5 Million on a striker that we need to make sure were not in relegation scrap

Relegation will be sweetened by Parachute Payments, though there may be a bitter taste left when many players leave.

The outlook from here looks like Wilder's buying players to do well in the Championship, which is fine if that's the ambition of the club. Norwich City acted that way last season, now where are they?

Unfortunately, being in ''The Best League In The World'' comes with a price. Either clubs find the funds to buy and pay the wages or they don't and maybe hope that there's three other clubs worse at the season's finale.

Brewster isn't going to save us from relegation if that is where we're heading (I also think that assumption is nonsense too, and again not based on anything but blind panic).

It's based on our post lockdown form. 12 games played, 11 points. 8 goals scored.

It's based on our post lockdown form. 12 games played, 11 points. 8 goals scored.
Too many things were changed for project restart for that to be a sensible guide to current form. Number of games, the fact we had the hardest schedule against the highest placed teams with the smallest squad, from which they could use more subs. Then throw in the the fact it's generally taken us 3-4 games to get upto speed and required fitness for our style, plus we had nothing to play for post Leicester and it's a complete nonsense to use it as a judge of where we are for this season.
But if you need to weigh things in your favor to prove an argument that we're all doomed, then yes, it's has a relevance.
If you've watched our first two games, and are putting us as relegation certainties that only an unproven kid with 20 professional appearances can save us from, then it's blind panic.

Too many things were changed for project restart for that to be a sensible guide to form. Number of games, the fact we had the hardest schedule against the highest placed teams, coupled with the fact it's generally taken us 3-4 games to get upto speed and required fitness for our style, plus we had nothing to play for post Leicester.
But if you need to weight things in your favor to prove your argument then yes, it's has a relevance.
If you've watched our first two games, and are putting us as relegation certainties that only an unproven kid with 20 professional appearances can save us from, then it's blind panic.

I think 12 games is a very decent sample size. It's almost a third of a season.
The lack of goals is the most worrying aspect & things don't look like improving on that front.

I think 12 games is a very decent sample size. It's almost a third of a season.
The lack of goals is the most worrying aspect & things don't look like improving on that front.
A sample size which has 3/4 of it played under completely different circumstances and challenges all of which negatively impacted us and would have an impact on the results.
As I said if you want to use a clearly questionable dataset to prove a point then it's perfect for you. For anyone using logic and reason, it clearly can't be reliably used as an indication of where we are currently.

A sample size which has 3/4 of it played under completely different circumstances and challenges all of which negatively impacted us and would have an impact on the results.
As I said if you want to use a clearly questionable dataset to prove a point then it's perfect for you. For anyone using logic and reason, it clearly can't be reliably used as an indication of where we are currently.

3/4 of it played under completely different playing circumstances?

Every club in the EPL since Project Restart has played under the same restrictions.
I think to say to declare that this is the main reason for SUFC's form is stretching that a little too far.
A number of conditions, which unfortunately are still ongoing.

3/4 of it played under completely different playing circumstances?
Yes, having to play with the shortest recovery time in the league, with one of the smallest squads, against a disproportionately number of the higher placed teams all of whom have significantly stronger and deeper squads from which a rule change allowed them to pick deeper benches and use/rest more players.
Basically if you wanted to setup a series of games and load the table against us, you'd struggle to do it better than the rule changes to favour the bigger teams and our schedule for restart.

Those advantages have now been leveled out again for the new season but you are using 12 games because it suits your argument while willfully ignoring all of the above and pretending it hasn't had any impact.

Every club in the EPL since Project Restart has played under the same restrictions.
I think to say to declare that this is the main reason for SUFC's form is stretching that a little too far.
A number of conditions, which unfortunately are still ongoing.
Simply not true. The rule changes benefited the bigger teams. We had the toughest schedule with the least amount of rest between games and one of the weaker squads as we hadn't planned for that type of schedule. Those are facts. Unless you're arguing that rest, downtime, and squad depth do not give an advantage to a side or impact their chances of winning football matches.

Thing is Bob some of those negative impacts look likely to continue all season with these new restrictions in pace for 6 months at least.

I really think the lack of a crowd is affecting us more than virtually any other team both home and away.

I'm pretty sure we will be fine but we don't want to get too far behind early on and we definitely need a couple of additions to not only make a difference but boost morale.

Last edited:
Thing is Bob those negative impacts look likely to continue all season with these new restrictions in pace for 6 months at least.

I really think the lack of a crowd is affecting us more than virtually any other team both home and away.

I'm pretty sure we will be fine but we don't want to get too far behind early on and we definitely need a couple of additions to not only make a difference but boost morale.
The lack of crowd atmosphere is a disadvantage but it's not something I was including as it's difficult to quantify but purely from a gut feel I think you're right.
All my other points are matters of fact ie the schedule, and teams we played, their relative squad depths and the increase of bench numbers and subs could only negatively impact us.
Folks getting over excited about 2 games, one of which we played well in, is just frustrating.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom