Timetable and targets for Wilder not to get sacked

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FMBlade1

Reaction score
Have absolutely nothing personal against him and would love him to succeed but as we all know its a results based business and we can't let sentimentality get in the way if removing him from his position is the right thing to do of course. On the plus side he seems a man of integrity so may well fall on his sword and not take compensation should things fail.

Obviously he needs time and support which is ironic considering the title of this thread but I think we should break this season into small chunks to see where we are. Others might disagree but I'd go with something like this:

Whatever happens he should get at least six more league games but if after then, either at that point or any other point beyond that, we are in the relegation zone he should go. If we are in the lower bottom half by Christmas and we have an adequate replacement and January plan he should go.

I would hope that there are some contingency plans in place for a new manager as club protocol. Personally I would go for a manager who has recent league 1 success and experience such as Chris Powell or Steve Cotterill.

But as I said, I REALLY hope it doesn't come to this but having been today we are a side that has too many poor league one players, and when you have poor league one players coupled with poor tactics you finish in a poor position in league one which is not acceptable considering the budget and pre-season expectation. Despite the problems (both on and off the pitch, for another thread) we can't allow a Micky Adams 2 and this squad should not be relegation material, but sadly this feels very like history repeating itself.

Let's hope he and the playing staff can turn things around, and fast. In the meantime as challenging as it is let's try to do as much as we can to support them.

UTB

Last edited:

We should review the managers position on a three monthly basis and if he can't put a promotion winning side together by cutting the wage bill and selling our best players then we should definitely just keep sacking them.

In fact, if possible we should give managers less time than we're currently giving them.

Maybe pay them
Hourly?

After 4 games? Seriously?

The only time this should even be mentioned is if we get to Christmas and we're in serious danger of going down. The only thing we need less than sacking yet another manager is going down to the Fourth.

We should review the managers position on a three monthly basis and if he can't put a promotion winning side together by cutting the wage bill and selling our best players then we should definitely just keep sacking them.

In fact, if possible we should give managers less time than we're currently giving them.

Maybe pay them
Hourly?

Half Time Manager Swap, it's the future...

Come on I'm not asking for promotion, as I clearly stated we should be higher than 13th by Christmas which is not unreasonable. Despite the wage bill being cut it is still higher than most other clubs and he's been able to bring players in for decent money like O'Connell and Fleck who have been anonymous at best. Relegation zone after 10 games in the league season is not only unacceptable, its just too dangerous as we go into David Weir territory. Its never too early to do the right thing. But as I also said, a sacking is only as good as the replacement you bring in.

Maybe pay them
Hourly?

Agreed, it's a results based business.

Probably the managers position should be reviewed after every adverse result. I can only see this as highly motivating for everyone concerned

Whatever happens he should get at least six more league games but if after then, either at that point or any other point beyond that, we are in the relegation zone he should go.

UTB

So we should stop giving our managers a full season, and just give them the first two months?

Wilder's a very decent manager, he hasn't turned into a shit one overnight. Give him time

I seem to remember us sticking with Basset through our time in the PL despite dire starts to the seasons.

He will get sacked so people shouldn't worry. We won't go up, we will sack him, appoint someone else, tell him to trim the wage bill, sell his better players, sack him, then appoint someone else, tell him to trim the wage bill,.......

I'm not sure which manager it will be who will be the one who will take us to the bottom tier but I do know that overall they will get far more criticism then they will deserve for it

Dear oh dear this really is Micky Adams all over again! I can't believe how much mediocrity some fans are willing to accept from 'certain' managers. He deserves time, he is a good manager (didn't B. Clough once say 'all good managers get sacked') but if its not working out after a certain time he has to go. At least with Basset there was at least some positivitity to point at and he had been successful with us beforehand.

If there is a risk of getting relegated with Wilder, we cannot afford to stick with him end of.

(edit: not saying he should be sacked for not taking us up. The problems are deep rooted and for another thread but nevertheless that should not excuse us being in a relegation battle. Which we aren't for the time being. And just because sackings haven't worked in the past doesn't mean that they are necessarily the wrong course of action in the future, a position we hopefully will never reach! :) )

Maybe pay them
Hourly?

Zero hours contract?

Eventually it will get through to people that sacking managers constantly isn't working...

.. At least I hope, no proof yet of people grasping it though.

I'm confident that Wilder will get us going, but he needs support from the board and the fans. We have to be patient. The team is bereft of confidence, but that can quickly come back with a couple of wins.

Dear oh dear this really is Micky Adams all over again! I can't believe how much mediocrity some fans are willing to accept from 'certain' managers. He deserves time, he is a good manager (didn't B. Clough once say 'all good managers get sacked') but if its not working out after a certain time he has to go. At least with Basset there was at least some positivitity to point at and he had been successful with us beforehand.

If there is a risk of getting relegated with Wilder, we cannot afford to stick with him end of.

(edit: not saying he should be sacked for not taking us up. The problems are deep rooted and for another thread but nevertheless that should not excuse us being in a relegation battle. Which we aren't for the time being. And just because sackings haven't worked in the past doesn't mean that they are necessarily the wrong course of action in the future, a position we hopefully will never reach! :) )

I personally think it's ridiculous to talk about changing another manager. We do it every year. Not all the managers we've had are crap. We can change the manager and bring someone else in but we will only be talking about changing the new guy a few months down the line

It's quite clearly not the managers that are the problem at United. The only one you could possibly blame with any seriousness is Clough as he was backed to a healthy level. The rest have recouped much more money than they have spent yet have still been expected to take us up

Just because sackings haven't worked in the past doesn't mean that they are necessarily the wrong course of action in the future. Was sacking David Weir a mistake? And of course as I said for the time being we must give unconditional support (a juxtaposition I know) and do what we can to help. The problems with this football club are far deeper, but that is not what this thread is about.

Sacking Wilder isn't what anybody wants, but you can't rule it out just because of the idiotic "you can't keep sacking managers" mentality. Adkins should have been sacked by February at the latest, we could probably have still made the play-offs and couldn't have finished much worse than 11th if we tried.

Instead we stuck with a crap boss til the summer, brought in Wilder who seemed to know what he wanted and how he wanted to play. Except then we played a game, had one good half of high energy and pressing against Bolton, then switched to some aimless long-ball dross, using Clarke as a target man even though he's nothing of the sort.

Lose badly at home to Oxford and Wilder should be considering his own position, he seems completely out of his depth with no clue how to fix it right now.

Hopefully he can get the players to do what he originally intended and turn it around, but if we sit bottom all the way to Christmas he shouldn't keep his job just because we ideally wouldn't want to sack him.

As far as targets go, win a bloody game for starters, give the fans something to feed off and those players who can't hack it might revel in the support they get in return rather than feeling a bit of pressure because they've never had to play in a big ground before. The longer we go winless the worse it's going to get for the gutless players.

Unless he leaves in the next week, there's no real benefit to an early sacking as the transfer window will shut, and with no loans, we'd only be able to bring in unattached players until January and anybody who is unattached will probably be a bit crap. The only way he should be sacked before Christmas is if we're well adrift at the bottom by November, in which case bring somebody in so they have time to see what they need to add when the window does re-open.

Hopefully he gets sacked in about 6 years when we're in the Premier League and he gets the England manager's job.

As a few have said pointless to sack him as we are going to be no better off with a replacement unless it is Warnock or Rumplestiltskin who can spin straw into gold.

Not Wilders fault, he should never have been appointed to start with for a team in League one, a division he had never managed in and then to be hamstrung by a pathetic board.

I have already resigned myself that we are going down this season, Wilder at least knows League two from which we absolutely must bounce back at the first attempt.

I have already resigned myself that we are going down this season, Wilder at least knows League two from which we absolutely must bounce back at the first attempt.

Thats the spirit lad. If we were in the trenches i would definately want to be by your side! How in earth can you or any other Blades fan have resigned themselves to relegation after 4 games of a new season when we are trying to bed in 3 quarters of a new team and CW still has time to bring in more potential signings. It must be a record for a club to be resigned to relegation before we have even got to the end of August. Dear me.

Truth is we have had a very difficult start, players are playing without confidence as they try to get to grips with each others game and team tactics, and our manager is also having to learn about his new team seeing what works and who can do what. Even then while today was a kick in the bollox again, it was a million times better than Tuesday. We were 5 mins away from getting a very welcome point away at a potential league winner and would have had one if O'Connell hadnt have panicked. He did though as he is a young lad and we paid the price again. Just give it a little time. It just seems to me that a lot of fans have a hangover from the last couple of seasons and irrational panic sets in way too quickly. We will win soon and when we do we will be off and running. If Wilder can make just a couple of key signings before the deadline (centre half and centre midfield) i think we will come good and be a very decent side this season. Weve just got to settle down and we will be fine. And no ive not been on the lash!

Just hope CW has a copy of the Kipling classic poem 'IF'.

'If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing theirs and blaming it on you...'

Last edited:
Interesting times. I don't think the OP is actually saying 'Wilder must go.' as 4 games is ridiculously early. However, it is important to set deadlines re. progress as happens with the players and a lot of non-footballing professions. If we don't and things are allowed to drift - before you know it - relegation becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. Oxford next week will know our current malaise and probably set up for a win. They will probably be disappointed with a draw. We have not had a difficult start to the season:

upload_2016-8-21_7-2-29.png

Rochdale have just one point, and guess where that was gained? In 16th place, Southend have four points and no prizes for guessing where three of those were gained (after we managed to end their worst-ever losing streak). Next up, another relegation-fodder team in Oxford. Going back to the end of last season, it's now seven games without a win (plus going out of the EFL Cup). After Oxford, it's Gillingham (A), Wimbledon (A), Peterborough (H), Scunthorpe - gulp! - (A) and Bristol Rovers (H). Anybody confident that - by game 10 - our fortunes will have improved? Me neither.

But it's not just the cold, hard statistics that count, it's the manner of our defeats. Two goals in four League games, barely a shot on target, our leading scorer's body language suggesting he won't be around for too long, the Che money (see his goal v. Wolves yesterday?) being diluted and largely squandered on half-a-dozen distinctly average players.

Let's see where we are after ten games (which is where the season begins to settle down and we can assess). If we're still in the relegation places when New Year comes, it's clear that the CW experiment hasn't worked and all the talk in the world about 'Look at Barnsley/Wigan last season' is just wishful thinking. As is 'McCabe must go.' He's now in a Philip Green (BHS) territory where he's so determined to go out 'ahead' financially (or at least evens), that the whole empire could crumble.

What did we do to deserve this?

I don't care if we go down this season "WE CANNOT AND MUST NOT SACK OR CHANGE THE MANGER"
There I've said it and will stick by that statement. Changing manager DOES NOT WORK. If this club has a problem IT IS NOT THE MANAGER.
Can you all just back Wilder for at least three years and let's see where we are. It's the only hope we have.

So we should stop giving our managers a full season, and just give them the first two months?

Wilder's a very decent manager, he hasn't turned into a shit one overnight. Give him time

I seem to remember us sticking with Basset through our time in the PL despite dire starts to the seasons.
I've done some analysis of Wilder's career, and any success he's had was down to luck. Just like with Adkins.

No really.....

UTB

You can't lose every game and say don't sack the manager. Pointless debate in that respect anyway. If we continue to be absolutely awful and lose nearly every game he wont last 12 games.

he managed a team that got 99 points last season,let's see what the transfer window brings...we're all pissed off and hurting,but cmon,give the guy a break....

Oh dear! for some fans the penny still hasn't dropped .................................................................. THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE MANAGERS

So are you trying to say it's the fans fault?

It's the manager that analyse the squad and improve weak arrears.
The managers keep buying supposedly great players who end up being poor.
We're the biggest spenders every year. Wilder has never had suck a big budget.
It'd the manager who motivates the team and chooses tactics.

I know it's really the players fault but the bottom line falls with the manager
And then ultimately the board but I think the boards actions regards sackings has been reasonable.
Each manager has been supported and given a reasonable length of time then when it looks like they
Can't turn the team around they've correctly been sacked.

Some fans have said even if Wilder is failing we shouldn't sack him
But a good board has to make tricky decisions and take action.
They have to be seen to be trying to improve the club otherwise gates and season ticket sales go down.

The AFC Wimbledon game looks crucial.

I think we will lose to Oxford, they bear Wilder a grudge and will delight in increasing his misery.

But if we also lose to Wimbledon then that could be curtains for him already, and can I say it won't make blind of difference. If the last few seasons prove owt it's the fault in this club does not lie with the manager.

So are you trying to say it's the fans fault?

It's the manager that analyse the squad and improve weak arrears.
The managers keep buying supposedly great players who end up being poor.
We're the biggest spenders every year. Wilder has never had suck a big budget.
It'd the manager who motivates the team and chooses tactics.

I know it's really the players fault but the bottom line falls with the manager
And then ultimately the board but I think the boards actions regards sackings has been reasonable.
Each manager has been supported and given a reasonable length of time then when it looks like they
Can't turn the team around they've correctly been sacked.

Some fans have said even if Wilder is failing we shouldn't sack him
But a good board has to make tricky decisions and take action.
They have to be seen to be trying to improve the club otherwise gates and season ticket sales go down.

Just where have I said or even hinted that it is the fans fault ??? ARE YOU FOR REAL?

You are obviously another one for whom the penny still hasn't dropped. I won't count David Weir but are you seriously saying it is down to the managers Wilson, Clough, Adkins and now Wilder? (they can't all be bad managers) Only Clough has had any real backing out of that lot and all have had to sell our best players and all bar Clough have had to cut the wage bill.

Have a think about it then come back and tell us why we are where we are, there are a few clues above but if that ain't enough one problem has a place in Belgium the other has a place in Saudi Arabia

Back
Top Bottom