Thoughts on the game today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ldn_Rd_Blades

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
firstly Barnsley are shit and I expect them to be relegated. I'm sure Roy's view from will be them blaming the ref but we were far better before and after the sending off.

Clarke isn't quick enough in movement and thought, at least at the moment, he may grow into the league but I'm not sure.

Fucking stupid sending off as well. Cheds not match fit so it leaves us with a problem, I guess lavery will come in.

Duffy was outstanding motm.

Brooks looks exciting but not the finished article by any means.

Fucking lines men are shit in this league, more incorrect offsides.

Coutts and fleck played well and no complaints from the defence, Stevens slightly iffy in possession but that's nit picking.

Should have finished them off and we dropped deep at the end again despite wilders protestations

Really important game to win and I'm going the enjoy watching the results coming in.

UTB

firstly Barnsley are shit and I expect them to be relegated. I'm sure Roy's view from will be them blaming the ref but we were far better before and after the sending off.

Clarke isn't quick enough in movement and thought, at least at the moment, he may grow into the league but I'm not sure.

Fucking stupid sending off as well. Cheds not match fit so it leaves us with a problem, I guess lavery will come in.

Coutts and fleck played well and no complaints from the defence, Stevens slightly iffy in possession but that's nit picking.

Should have finished them off and we dropped deep at the end again despite wilders protestations

Really important game to win and I'm going the enjoy watching the results coming in.

UTB
^^^^^^^^^^^^

UTB

Good point about off sides, we seem to be getting caught a lot with this are the linesmen bad or is it the speed of this league our forwards our struggling with?
Clarke has given both Evans and Lavery a chance with his foolishness.
Barnsley were poor a lot of badly off target shots and passes that went out of play, as I think we all suspected they will struggle, we need to start knocking a few goals past this sort though.

I thought Clarke was having a decent game until his act of stupidity, totally changed the flow of the game for both sides and led to the scrappy second half.

Brooks looks a talent, hold your nerve Mr. McCabe,

Billy Sharp will score goals if you provide the service which all sensible people realise.

Duffy is a much better option than Carruthers which I have been trying to point out for weeks.

Evans looked way off the pace.

Just on a train back to Liverpool. I thought the dingles were really poor!. Clarke was stupid in getting sent off but did have a hold of the lads throat so no complaints!. I M O. Brilliant finish from billy for the goal!. Brooks was excellent when he came on. Ched is not yet match fit but he's getting there and will be useful in the coming weeks!. Sat back a little at the end but knew we could see it out for the win!. Anyway another 3 points so onwards and upwards!. Utb.

We started off on fire and deservedly took the lead. The sending offs ruined the game IMO. Clarke was stupid for doing what he did, and with his experience should know better. Thought we were the better team throughout the game without playing anywhere near our best, and should've scored a few more. Bit frustrating how we sat back and invited pressure on in the last ten min though.
Thought Duffy played well, aswell as brooks when he came on. Was hard for sharp after the sending off as he's not the sort of player who can play as a lone striker.
Only downside was thought freeman had a poor game and the quicker baldock is fit the better. And also we need to be taking our chances as against the better teams we will get punished

UTB

Agree on the sending off - We are certainly putting more pressure on our recruitment with stupid decisions and injury.

Moore injury means Blackman is the only senior keeper

If brayford goes with baldock not yet fit freeman is our only right back.

As above on bray - We are currently down to our final 3 defenders with stearman out.

With ched not yet fully fit and Clarke suspended and Hanson injured our only fit strikers are sharp and Lavery.

Really good performance that. Came out of the blocks firing - the 15/20 minutes we were excellent. Same goes for a 15 minute spell or so in the second half (after a sluggish start to the half).

Fleck back to his best, Duffy wriggling about and constantly finding space, Jake Wright marshalling things at the back, Stevens having his best game so far, Brooksy a superb showing off the bench.

Disappointing about Clarke, but when you're assaulted it's hard not to react. Ref might have used a bit of common sense in just booking the both of them and keeping it as 11 v 11.

But Barnsley, eh? Did they have a single decent effort on target?

Whilst we were much better today and the ref tried to play the advantage, the ref was on our side well

I think it was difficult for Evans to look good since he was left so isolated up front. Admittedly when he did have the ball he wasn't at his best, but I think he'd have been a lot more effective if he'd had a partner with him. In the absence of Clarke I'd rather Evans start ahead of Lavery.

Dont necessarily agree on Clarke, he was an idiot but before that I thought held the ball up really well, his final ball was a bit lacking though, also a great dummey for Sharps goal from him

Their keeper was the only reason it wasn't 3/4-0
Agreed. He held the ball up much better than Evans, who was woeful when he came on.

Sounds a daft thing to say but it was good to score after dominating the play for the first 17 minutes. Before the goal we'd had a few decent chances and it was important to capitalise psychologically. Funnily enough I thought the sendings offs actually helped us more than them. They lost a big player for them and had to re-organise from a goal behind, whereas we didn't have to really as we weren't chasing the game.

Duffy was excellent and assume he came off because he hasn't had much game time, his link play and ability to make space for others is superb. I thought both Fleck and Freeman had much better games. We just needed that 2nd goal again to kill the game off. Full marks to the defenders though, can anyone really say that Stearman is better than Wright? Jake just did his usual effective thing.

Blackman looked unsure in his gathering of the ball. He's not yet been at fault for any goal, but there were a couple of moments where my heart was in my mouth. He completely missed what looked like an easy take on a cross (unless he deliberately let it go) and his timing was a bit scary when the ball was at his feet from back passes

It was a 1-0 massacre with basically the same team that won promotion? Billy could/should have had an hat trick? Thought Barnsley were far worse than crap, I'd call them absolute shit on that showing. That Pearson at right back made Tony Moore look like fuckin Cafu! Clarke was having his best game for us until he acted like a little girl. Why didn't he just laugh in the kids face and then it's 11 v 10 and 1-0 up? It's not like he's inexperienced? And now he's out for three games as well. Plus the sending offs disrupted us more than them, imo, because they only lost a CB, whereas we lost our main focal attacker, who was bullying the bejesus out of them. Once Clarke went, the ball just wouldn't stick up front and kept coming back? Not that it mattered cos they were proper shit. Thought Fleck was our worst player today, kept getting caught in possession, especially near the edge of our box more than enough for my liking. Not up to speed yet, but then again he started slowly last season? All in all, good display and probably the easiest 3 points we'll gain all season.

Blackman looked unsure in his gathering of the ball. He's not yet been at fault for any goal, but there were a couple of moments where my heart was in my mouth. He completely missed what looked like an easy take on a cross (unless he deliberately let it go) and his timing was a bit scary when the ball was at his feet from back passes
I think he pulled out of gathering that cross......I think

Was a 1-0 battering and we should have had at least 3. Against better teams we need to be more clinical, but after those 2 tough away games just shows that we are fine at this level.

Brooks definitely has something about him. I thought Evans offered little and looks distinctly off the pace.

Defence was solid, the whole back 3 played well and Wright still looks fine at this level. Coutts absolutely fantastic, his control and passing ran the game for us and he just beat Duffy for Motm for me.

One of the most one-sided 1-0s you'll ever see, but at 1-0 there's always a danger of letting all that good work come undone. Not sure if Barnsley were that shit/crap or whether we made them look that bad. Our tracking back, hustling etc. forced them into many errors. Thought CW waited a bit too long to introduce more threat in attack as Billy couldn't be expected to provide the only outlet. Sharp is beginning to remind me of Keith Edwards - doesn't seem to do much. Apart from score! Numerous strong performances from our team and difficult to single anybody out.
Finally, the ref. Totally fucking inconsistent. He booked Billy early on to make him walk a thin line, but let one or two far worse challenges by t'Tykes go.
Finally, Leon being out for 3 games opens the door for Ched.
Finally, finally Brooks. What a fucking prospect. Don't even think of letting him go for the usual £1m.

Sounds a daft thing to say but it was good to score after dominating the play for the first 17 minutes. Before the goal we'd had a few decent chances and it was important to capitalise psychologically. Funnily enough I thought the sendings offs actually helped us more than them. They lost a big player for them and had to re-organise from a goal behind, whereas we didn't have to really as we weren't chasing the game.

n to kill the game off. Full marks to the defenders though, can anyone really say that Stearman is better than Wright? Jake just did his usual effective thing.

Agreed - it did help us more. We just played 3-4-1-1, they went to 3 at the back and were obviously not used to it. Was really disappointed that we didn't exploit the bucket loads of space down either flank. They were very open playing the 3. But hey, a win is a win and we move on.

UTB

Great performance and good to see 2 of last seasons performer's in Wright and Duffy get there chance and took it very well ,
Thought we saw again what we miss when Duffy went off as felt we looked a little lost in the final 3rd without him . also Fleck had this best game of the season
, Duffy just makes everything tick between midfield and the front 2

You can see an hear Wright at the back just constantly marshalling the defence and GK , great professional and still not lost a game that he has started !

Sorry to sound awful but don't get the whole Evans worshipping who showed today he is far from ready to start a match , especially when so many seem ready to jump on Billys back at anytime ( great finish again from him today and put in a good shift )

Barnsley were very poor and look like a League One side, so it was important that we got the win.

We've looked decent at home so far, it'll be a good test for us against Derby, that match will be a good indication of how we will do this season.

A win today and thats the most important thing. But it was like a league 1 game. Barnsley will be relegated if they keep that up.

No idea what has happened to United over the summer, last season we would have passed round a side like that and scored 2 or 3 and left laughing, no idea what has happened to our confidence and swagger. The red cards didn't help which didnt help goals seeing no one was in the box in the second half. But that doesn't excuse being far too deep and inviting sides onto us.

We are still lacking pace upfront, counter attacks are a big thing in this league. Duffy was immense but against a stronger side my have not had such a game. Ched is nowhere near fit. Fleck has been hit and miss for me some stuff his usual self and other times too slow and hesitant. Wrighty mr dependable as always.

I'm still hoping we are just adjusting to the league and its early days, but it might be a bit more of a struggle than we thought if we don't find that form, swagger, va va voom again.

Great performance and good to see 2 of last seasons performer's in Wright and Duffy get there chance and took it very well ,
Thought we saw again what we miss when Duffy went off as felt we looked a little lost in the final 3rd without him . also Fleck had this best game of the season
, Duffy just makes everything tick between midfield and the front 2

You can see an hear Wright at the back just constantly marshalling the defence and GK , great professional and still not lost a game that he has started !

Sorry to sound awful but don't get the whole Evans worshipping who showed today he is far from ready to start a match , especially when so many seem ready to jump on Billys back at anytime ( great finish again from him today and put in a good shift )
Great performance? Really?

Barnsley were piss poor and will go down, today was not a championship quality affair it was like a league one game.

Don't let this result fool you, we seriously lack pace and directness and are going to come unstuck again against the better sides playing like we did today.

Our play is far far too slow and predictable for this level, it worked today but won't against the better sides. Need major reinforcements bringing in.

Barnsley were piss poor and will go down, today was not a championship quality affair it was like a league one game.

Don't let this result fool you, we seriously lack pace and directness and are going to come unstuck again against the better sides playing like we did today.

Our play is far far too slow and predictable for this level, it worked today but won't against the better sides. Need major reinforcements bringing in.
how many better sides are there? we just played three of them

People do see things differently, I felt after loosing 2 games on the bounce ( for a team used to winning ) we came back and put in a very promising performance, some lovely passing and build up play and solid at the back

I think loosing a CF in our formation and no real CF who can play on there own up top will and did hinder us ,

This division is very up and down , this ' league one ' bound Barnsley team beat forest the other day who have just beaten Middlesbrough !

Back
Top Bottom