The view from Spain

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blade for Sale

Reaction score
In the recent 'manager of the year' thread I posted a link to Marca's take on the news. They have now followed this up with a more in depth article on Wilder in their international section. The link is below and my translation follows. There isn't much there that hasn't been said and they haven't nailed all the details but it's great to see this level of exposure. Marca is Spain's biggest selling newspaper of any type, its website is arguably Spain's most popular and they are one of world football's most significant media outlets. Most of the comments mock (Madrid-centric) Marca's ability to knock Guardiola at any opportunity but there are one or two who sing Wilder's praises and look forward to seeing how we get on next season.

https://www.marca.com/futbol/premier-league/2019/05/17/5cde90a4e5fdea41378b45ec.html

The Tactical Revolution of the coach who beat Guardiola to 'Manager of the Year'

Pep Guardiola has been named Premier League manager of the year for the 2nd consecutive season. He has however, missed out on the title of Best Manager in England for 2018-19. This award, chosen by the League Manager’s Association, goes to Chris Wilder who has masterminded Sheffield United’s return to the Premier League after a 12 year absence, and is one that Wilder hopes will raise the profile of homegrown managers, stating, “foreign managers get a lot of exposure but hopefully this offers a chink of light for English coaches. There are plenty who are capable of winning this award”.

His managerial journey has been unorthodox to say the least. Wilder has managed to achieve promotion from 4 of the 5 top divisions of English football. In 09-10 he led Oxford United from the National League to League 2, in 15-16 he guided Northampton from League 2 to League 1, in 16-17, Sheffield United from League 1 to the Championship, culminating in this season’s return to the Premier League. This achievement seemed unthinkable when he took the reins at Bramall Lane in May 2016 following their lowest league finish in 30 years, 11th place in League 1. “To put us back on the map in this way is incredible, and I am proud to have played a part in this success” Wilder was quoted as saying following promotion.

What really catches the attention however is the impressive tactical revolution implemented by Wilder with the Blades, acclaimed as follows by Marcelo Bielsa himself. “Sheffield United are the side from which I have learnt most this season. Their manager has new ideas the likes of which I have seen from very few other coaches. They are worth of study and I must admit that there are things I have tried, and failed, to imitate” admitted the Leeds manager.

The approach came about when, after gaining 1 point form his first 4 games with Sheffield United, Wilder abandoned a 4-4-2 formation in favour of a flexible 3-4-2-1 which can switch during matches to 3-5-2 or 5-3-2. “We are a proactive team. We don’t set up waiting to see what the opposition does” assures Wilder. The results bear out the system. The ended the season with the highest goal difference in the Championship (+37).

“There’s no defence like a good attack” is Wilder’s mantra. His revolution begins from the back and the recipe is clear. Once possession has been gained, the left and right sided centre-backs (O’Connell & Basham) are free to move to a wing-back position, whilst the genuine wingbacks (Baldock & Stephens) shift inside. The idea is to gain numerical supremacy in key areas. The result? 2 promotions in 3 years. From League 1 to the Premier, emulating Eddie Howe’s Bournemouth between 2012-15.

[They don’t say who this quote is from] “When he arrived the boss cited Bournemouth as an example and asked why we couldn’t emulate them”. And emulate them they did. 6 of the side who have achieved promotion to the Premier League were mainstays of the side which reached the Championship.

Blade for Sale Wilder was clearly very smart about emulating Bournemouth, given the chequered past that they've had up to the position they sit in now.

In the recent 'manager of the year' thread I posted a link to Marca's take on the news. They have now followed this up with a more in depth article on Wilder in their international section. The link is below and my translation follows. There isn't much there that hasn't been said and they haven't nailed all the details but it's great to see this level of exposure. Marca is Spain's biggest selling newspaper of any type, its website is arguably Spain's most popular and they are one of world football's most significant media outlets. Most of the comments mock (Madrid-centric) Marca's ability to knock Guardiola at any opportunity but there are one or two who sing Wilder's praises and look forward to seeing how we get on next season.

https://www.marca.com/futbol/premier-league/2019/05/17/5cde90a4e5fdea41378b45ec.html

The Tactical Revolution of the coach who beat Guardiola to 'Manager of the Year'

Pep Guardiola has been named Premier League manager of the year for the 2nd consecutive season. He has however, missed out on the title of Best Manager in England for 2018-19. This award, chosen by the League Manager’s Association, goes to Chris Wilder who has masterminded Sheffield United’s return to the Premier League after a 12 year absence, and is one that Wilder hopes will raise the profile of homegrown managers, stating, “foreign managers get a lot of exposure but hopefully this offers a chink of light for English coaches. There are plenty who are capable of winning this award”.

His managerial journey has been unorthodox to say the least. Wilder has managed to achieve promotion from 4 of the 5 top divisions of English football. In 09-10 he led Oxford United from the National League to League 2, in 15-16 he guided Northampton from League 2 to League 1, in 16-17, Sheffield United from League 1 to the Championship, culminating in this season’s return to the Premier League. This achievement seemed unthinkable when he took the reins at Bramall Lane in May 2016 following their lowest league finish in 30 years, 11th place in League 1. “To put us back on the map in this way is incredible, and I am proud to have played a part in this success” Wilder was quoted as saying following promotion.

What really catches the attention however is the impressive tactical revolution implemented by Wilder with the Blades, acclaimed as follows by Marcelo Bielsa himself. “Sheffield United are the side from which I have learnt most this season. Their manager has new ideas the likes of which I have seen from very few other coaches. They are worth of study and I must admit that there are things I have tried, and failed, to imitate” admitted the Leeds manager.

The approach came about when, after gaining 1 point form his first 4 games with Sheffield United, Wilder abandoned a 4-4-2 formation in favour of a flexible 3-4-2-1 which can switch during matches to 3-5-2 or 5-3-2. “We are a proactive team. We don’t set up waiting to see what the opposition does” assures Wilder. The results bear out the system. The ended the season with the highest goal difference in the Championship (+37).

“There’s no defence like a good attack” is Wilder’s mantra. His revolution begins from the back and the recipe is clear. Once possession has been gained, the left and right sided centre-backs (O’Connell & Basham) are free to move to a wing-back position, whilst the genuine wingbacks (Baldock & Stephens) shift inside. The idea is to gain numerical supremacy in key areas. The result? 2 promotions in 3 years. From League 1 to the Premier, emulating Eddie Howe’s Bournemouth between 2012-15.

[They don’t say who this quote is from] “When he arrived the boss cited Bournemouth as an example and asked why we couldn’t emulate them”. And emulate them they did. 6 of the side who have achieved promotion to the Premier League were mainstays of the side which reached the Championship.

A poor article in my opinion. Not a single mention of Bradway, Meadowhall league or a quote from Wit. ;)

They didnt mention Prescot cables ;)

A very fine translation, if I may say. Though Roberto would have spiced it up a little...

Think the quite is from Baldock, I'm sure he said similar on a video posted to our website.

The quote from Bielsa is excellent, it shows that he is a highly intelligent coach who isn't that arrogant that he dismisses other coaches tactics simply because he didn't come up with them, and as they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The fact that a highly rated foreign coach recognises talent when he sees it is interesting and shows that maybe the media and club chairmen might look a bit more carefully at local talent before heading offshore signing up more ' fashionable ' coaches.

Hope Bielsa continues in this country and has success, only not with the club he currently works for. ;)

Back
Top Bottom