The Team to keep us up

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We would be surrendering even more of the middle of the park with this.
I respect your opinion, but I really don't think the answer is losing another midfielder for an attacker.

People are desperate for the "return of the Duffy role." At this level, we're nowhere near good enough to play with that system.
We rarely even use our midfield these days tbh it's always lumped long from the back or wings.

It would give us a triangle up front for pressing. The role wouldn't be particularly duffy esque it would be a link up player who can hold up the ball with a big physical presence getting into the box for headers and providing assists and providing headed flick ons etc. but also scoring goals like a shadowstriker..

Our main flaw atm is scoring goals and the defense wouldnt really be worse in midfield as one or two of our cms are usually high up on the wings anyway you'd play a holding mid and a slightly more adventurous holding mid like we did in the lower league..

I wonder if Bogle would be ok in that "Loan Signing" position?? Like the idea anyway of getting more in that midfield, even if that means switching to a back 4. Play 4-5-1 if need be.

I think he'd probably be perfect in the 4141 formation as he looks good going forward and his defensive duties wouldn't be needed as much.

In the 4231 I think it's probably a bit too far forward for him.

I get those saying we'd get smashed if we went to a back 4 but what the hell have we got to lose???

I think he'd probably be perfect in the 4141 formation as he looks good going forward and his defensive duties wouldn't be needed as much.

In the 4231 I think it's probably a bit too far forward for him.

I get those saying we'd get smashed if we went to a back 4 but what the hell have we got to lose???
I'm not so sure we would (get smashed) as we'd have more protection from midfield. I've absolutely no idea why we're not looking at it, seeing as we currently can't seem to get 5 decent defenders on the pitch, and we're getting creamed in the middle of the park.

Bogle skill level atm is that of an average championship player basically the same as Lowe but he's younger so if he gets game time he should end up being better than Lowe and probably Baldock when he is lowe's age

He is quite a highly rated player for the future potential anyway

Bogle skill level atm is that of an average championship player basically the same as Lowe but he's younger so if he gets game time he should end up being better than Lowe and probably Baldock when he is lowe's age

He is quite a highly rated player for the future potential anyway

No offence mate but he's far better than Lowe which is why he commanded the lions share of the joint transfer fee.

Nah he isn't he's just 4 years younger and already as good as Lowe hence why you'd pay more as he has a much better chance to develop into a better player than Lowe at this point.
This is why he hasn't had a start yet he's not at Baldock or even endas level as a wingback

I personally don't think any combination of players in our squad can keep us up now.

But I'd like to see us do the following;

.........................Ramsdale
..........Basham.....Egan......Ampadu
Baldock......Berge.......Norwood.........Stevens
..............Lundstram........Fleck....
..........................McBurnie

Pack the midfield & at least try to get a foothold in games. At the moment we're being battered through the middle.
quite like that formation captain but wouldnt have lundstrum or mcburnie in mousset or brewster for the lone striker and burke for lundstrum who shouldnt be anywhere near our first team its been obvious from day one of this season hes not interested strange decision by chris to keep playing him

quite like that formation captain but wouldnt have lundstrum or mcburnie in mousset or brewster for the lone striker and burke for lundstrum who shouldnt be anywhere near our first team its been obvious from day one of this season hes not interested strange decision by chris to keep playing him

Sadly I don't think Brewster is an option on his own. His link up play hasn't impressed me.
Mousset just can't stay fit. He's an impact player at best.

Our options for a lone striker are McBurnie & Burke really.

Take your point on Lundstram.

Take Basham out he’s done bod all all season.

Lundstram hasn't played any worse than Norwood and fleck tbh he's looked willing to try and take players on and has gotten into goalscoring positions it hasn't come off yet for him like but that's football, we aren't paying one of our best midfielders a year of wages to sit on the bench or reserves and playing worse options just because he wants to move on next season, he also seems to be our best crosser atm (sadly)

As it stands right now:

Rammers
Baldock—Basham—Egan—Stevens
Ampadu
Berge————Fleck
Brewster——————Burke
McBurnie

Subs: Verrips, Lundstram, McGoldrick, Osborn, Norwood, Bryan, Sharp​

When all fit:

Rammers
Baldock—Egan—O’Connell—Stevens
Ampadu
Berge————Fleck
Brewster——————Burke
Mousset

Subs: Verrips, Basham, Lundstram, McGoldrick, Osborn, Norwood, McBurnie​

I feel like we need to change the system. We keep persisting with the same system while missing some of its key components. It’s time to look at your best players and fit the formation accordingly. There’s nobody good enough to play the O’Connell role so don’t stick a square peg in a round hole, just go four at the back.

He was our best players yesterday
I commented on how well he played yesterday. I just don’t think the ‘long ball to McBurnie with no one picking up the 2nd ball’ will get us very far in our quest to get the required 1+ point per game we need. It’s yielded 1 point from 11 games so far.

The funny thing with McBurnie, if you asked him how he'd like to be used, it wouldn't be someone heading long balls all game.
I know, same with Leon Clarke, the problem is that we seem to be gearing our game around him doing this and are becoming one of the most one-dimensional teams I’ve seen for a long while. It’s not working and it’s not suddenly going to start working, so either play through midfield with McBurnie in the team or swap him for someone else to remove the temptation to hoof.

As it stands right now:

Rammers
Baldock—Basham—Egan—Stevens
Ampadu
Berge————Fleck
Brewster——————Burke
McBurnie

Subs: Verrips, Lundstram, McGoldrick, Osborn, Norwood, Bryan, Sharp​

When all fit:

Rammers
Baldock—Egan—O’Connell—Stevens
Ampadu
Berge————Fleck
Brewster——————Burke
Mousset

Subs: Verrips, Basham, Lundstram, McGoldrick, Osborn, Norwood, McBurnie​

I feel like we need to change the system. We keep persisting with the same system while missing some of its key components. It’s time to look at your best players and fit the formation accordingly. There’s nobody good enough to play the O’Connell role so don’t stick a square peg in a round hole, just go four at the back.

Opinions a bit like arseholes we have all got one.Having said that I can not understand why Osborn and Bryan are over looked by most fans ,both of them seem to make a difference when they are brought on and can be relied upon to do their job with out any fuss .Yet we continue to play guys who are well below par week in and week out like Norwood and Fleck.Why do we play Lowe when every time Osborn has played in that position he has done a fine job?Lowe shows every time he plays he is not up to the job yet he seems to get the nod over Osborn.Norwood and Fleck have both been poor this year but they walk in to the team every week.

I really think Ampadu is far to good to be sat on the bench or at LCB for that matter. I would really like to see him back in midfield again and I don’t really care who he replaces.

Let's assume that Chris isn't changing the formation.

It's easy for him to back his argument. The inability to clear a corner was nothing to do with formation vs WBA. We created 22 shots. The inability to control a ball in the 90th minute was nothing to do with formation. We were injury time away from a handy point. That's going to be enough for Chris to stick, whether you agree or not.

Something like this until January:

Ramsdale
Basham Egan Bryan
Baldock Lundstram* Ampadu Fleck* Stevens
McBurnie Brewster

* Depending on form you can probably toss a coin on Berge/Lundstram and Fleck/Osborn. But I think having Ampadu there gives insurance to Bryan more than Norwood or Berge does and Bryan did show some signs of getting the overlap going again.

Likewise, Mousset may shove Brewster out if fit and McGoldrick remains an option for certain games though I'm never convinced of his direct partnership with McBurnie.

Burke flatters to deceive. The thing with him is that he is less than the sum of his parts.

He's quick, strong, direct, but there is never any end product. I'd just have him as an option to either replace Baldock when 'going for it' or if we switch to 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 as a proper wide option.

I'd probably have Sharp over Jagielka on the bench. If you really lose a CB for part of the game Ampadu slots in there. I'm struggling for a spot for Norwood, which is some fall from grace.

There’s been I good few posts on here about the worst players Burke is not a footballer and never will be awful
He can run though:)

Ramsdale
Baldock - Egan - Ampadu - Osborn
Mousset - Lundstram - Berge - Fleck - Burke
Brewster​

.Ramsdale

Baldock-Basham-Egan-Amapdu-Stevens

Fleck ——-Norwood

BERGE

Brewster —- Mcburnie

Somethings got to change tactically we need our best player on the ball the most and that’s Berge who would be a monster in the duffy role

99% of all our problems come from down the left we’re basically playing with a league one LCB and an average championship LB we need enda back massively and ampadu who can keep the ball. If we keep with Lowe/Bryan we may aswell be playing with one leg

If we can keep that line up that played against Liverpool injury free we still have a good chance of getting 6 more points than Burnley/West Brom & fulham

UTB
Berge as a cam... Definitely not.

In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The A-Team.

3000.jpg

.Ramsdale

Baldock-Basham-Egan-Amapdu-Stevens

Fleck ——-Norwood

BERGE

Brewster —- Mcburnie

Somethings got to change tactically we need our best player on the ball the most and that’s Berge who would be a monster in the duffy role

99% of all our problems come from down the left we’re basically playing with a league one LCB and an average championship LB we need enda back massively and ampadu who can keep the ball. If we keep with Lowe/Bryan we may aswell be playing with one leg

If we can keep that line up that played against Liverpool injury free we still have a good chance of getting 6 more points than Burnley/West Brom & fulham

UTB
I've not seen anything from Berge to suggest he could play the Duffy role - he's basically a more athletic version of Norwood without the ping.

You’re missing JOC.

McBurnie shouldn’t be near a team that will keep us up. He epitomises the ‘tries hard but not quite good enough’ that will see us relegated. He played well yesterday, but he makes us play long. It’s like Rob Hulse, we all knew he was a decent target man but was never going to keep us up on that alone.

Another one knocking McBergkamp.......

On a serious note, Norwood and Fleck? In a two? Surely a joke?

I do wonder if berge could play lcb.. He can definitely get forward and is 6ft5 and strong af and quite pacey then play fleck ampadu lundstram in midfield maybe
Have you ever seen Berge head the ball clear ?

What the hell has happened to Norwood tho , comes off the bench , a big build up to take a free kick from the commentator , and pings ( or should I say pongs it ) straight into the keepers hands , he must be having some kind of breakdown or summert ??

The depressing thing about this thread is that I look at the suggested line ups and think , yes , some of them might be an improvement on the ones we’ve had recently .

But then I think , even with those changes , which sides would I fancy that team beating and the answer is very few . Possibly West Brom , Burnley or Fulham if we caught them on a bad day but nothing beyond that . What a contrast to last year when after 6 matches I and many others fancied our chances against almost anyone in the PL , and all this after spending god knows how many millions on ‘improving the squad.’

Call me old fashioned , but there’s something about that that doesn’t seem right .

Back
Top Bottom