The Sue Smith Hall of Footballing Ignorance

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blade in Cordoba

Infinita pasion por mis colores...
Reaction score
Is now open and accepting nominations for the season ahead. As the media spotlight on SUFC intensifies expect the platitudes, nonsense and general fuckwittery to rise exponentially.
Pundits, oppo managers and tired hack journalists alike who can turn a cliche like 'Sheffield', 'honest triers', 'hard to beat', 'gritty', 'workmanlike' etc. all are welcome here.
Name and shame.

If Garth Crooks isn't here by the end of August I will be amazed.

Anyone who refers to "Brexit football" and/or insinuates that Wilder is a racist.

I don’t mind us being referred to as a Brexit football team, people thought it couldn’t be done and it makes us unique.
Also it has nothing to do with racism, although I agree some will see it as an insult.

Is now open and accepting nominations for the season ahead. As the media spotlight on SUFC intensifies expect the platitudes, nonsense and general fuckwittery to rise exponentially.
Pundits, oppo managers and tired hack journalists alike who can turn a cliche like 'Sheffield', 'honest triers', 'hard to beat', 'gritty', 'workmanlike' etc. all are welcome here.
Name and shame.

Garth Crooks has to be the worse if the lot hands down!

I don’t mind us being referred to as a Brexit football team, people thought it couldn’t be done and it makes us unique.
Also it has nothing to do with racism, although I agree some will see it as an insult.

Brexit is just a lazy term though and is pretty much synonymous with failure now and it's not meant as a description, it's meant to be an insult, homegrown is better, still got two syllables and doesn't have the "car crash" connotation.

That's assuming we're still all British Isles next season mind.

What the fuck is this prick on.

Starts ok then just deteriorates.

End up like Portsmouth!?

Is that what he said? I didn’t get that far, he started well then said something along the lines of us being like Huddersfield because we play an English style but Norwich will be ok because they play a German style, so I switched it off

Is that what he said? I didn’t get that far, he started well then said something along the lines of us being like Huddersfield because we play an English style but Norwich will be ok because they play a German style, so I switched it off

Yeah went downhill, only two players that are good enough (no mention of our superb defence), need to spend but our model wont allow us, if we do we could end up like Portsmouth in Division 2 lol

Brexit is just a lazy term though and is pretty much synonymous with failure now and it's not meant as a description, it's meant to be an insult, homegrown is better, still got two syllables and doesn't have the "car crash" connotation.

That's assuming we're still all British Isles next season mind.

John Egan,Enda Stevens, David McGoldrick and Scott Hogan play for the Republic of Ireland. Ireland is, and will remain, in the European Union.

Ireland is not, and never has been, a part of Britain. In the same way that the English channel isn't English and the Irish sea isn't Irish these Atlantic islands aren't British. Naming something doesn't give you ownership.

John Egan,Enda Stevens, David McGoldrick and Scott Hogan play for the Republic of Ireland. Ireland is, and will remain, in the European Union.

Ireland is not, and never has been, a part of Britain. In the same way that the English channel isn't English and the Irish sea isn't Irish these Atlantic islands aren't British. Naming something doesn't give you ownership.

No offense meant

*Atlantic Archipelago

Garth Crooks has to be the worse if the lot hands down!

Garth Crooks was a very decent footballer and gave us a fair amount of grief as a player .

As a football commentator however , he is and has been for a considerable period of time , quite comfortably the most obnoxious , self opinionated and smug practitioner in this field I've ever had the misfortune to have to listen to .

British Isles.png

Oh, it's all so complicated. Ireland isn't part of Great Britain but is part of The British Isles. Not sure it helps, but jolly interesting ........

Never understood why Venn Diagrams never took off

Brexit football - A bold step against an established, stale old system. Started by a pub team in Sheffield. Rolled out across Europe by 2020.

No, you need a flag

I'm not quite sure this is your point, but it's possible John, Enda, David and Scott could be, or become, British.

According to the UK passport website, Republic of Ireland citizens can apply for a British subject passport under certain conditions.

The website states: “You’re a British subject if you were a citizen of the Republic of Ireland on 31 December 1948 and made a claim to remain a British subject.

“If you didn’t make a claim to remain a British subject you can apply to the Home Secretary to become a British subject if either:

• you’ve been in Crown service for the UK government
  • you’re associated with the UK or a British overseas territory by descent, residence or another way.”
For those born in the UK before 1 January 1983, UK citizenship was granted from this date if you were a citizen of the UK and colonies, or if you had the “right to abode” in the UK.

If born after 1 January 1983, you don’t automatically receive citizenship but can receive it by proving that a parent was a citizen or settled in the UK when you were born.

In many cases, British citizenship can also be acquired “by descent” if one of your parents was a citizen at the time of your birth, even if you were born overseas.

[Embolden added]

it was part of Great Britain and Ireland until 1922 i believe.. i know you like splitting hairs so i figured i’d bite for you ;)

This nobhead

As an analysis goes, it is incomplete, focusing only on formation and attacking. Other than the mention of Hendo's clean sheet record and only 41 conceded there was no talk on defensive ability, which I think will be Norwich's main problem. If they concede for fun now I can't see how it'll all of a sudden be fine in the Prem.

I think we are in good shape at the back, but clearly we will need more up front, whether we can afford that first up is debatable.

May as well get used to this kind of analysis, we will be forever typecast as a workmanlike and strong long ball unit from the Bassett and Warnock days. Always amazes me how few "football fans" take any interest in the game lower than the Prem.

Name and shame.

garth crooks is the david lammy of football.. shame as i used to like him

Garth Crooks was a very decent footballer and gave us a fair amount of grief as a player .

As a football commentator however , he is and has been for a considerable period of time , quite comfortably the most obnoxious , self opinionated and smug practitioner in this field I've ever had the misfortune to have to listen to .
If we can force feed him enough fizzy pop,I'm determined that one day his eyes will actually eject from that extremely deformed coconut of his.

Sue Smith is annoying as hell, but I like to listen to Alex Scott, I think she comes across very well.

A few classic 'Crooksies';
Michael Owen will get double figures this season - or at least 10, maybe more.
Mistakes will be made, make no mistake.
Football's football, if that weren't the case it wouldn't be the game that it is.
That goal surprised most people, least of all myself.
Of course, you can't win matches if you don't score goals - but the real trick is not to concede when you do score.
35% of black players are non white.
Having watched a replay, there’s absolutely no doubt; it’s inconclusive

As an analysis goes, it is incomplete, focusing only on formation and attacking. Other than the mention of Hendo's clean sheet record and only 41 conceded there was no talk on defensive ability, which I think will be Norwich's main problem. If they concede for fun now I can't see how it'll all of a sudden be fine in the Prem.

I think we are in good shape at the back, but clearly we will need more up front, whether we can afford that first up is debatable.

May as well get used to this kind of analysis, we will be forever typecast as a workmanlike and strong long ball unit from the Bassett and Warnock days. Always amazes me how few "football fans" take any interest in the game lower than the Prem.
Because most of them are at an age, where they were born and brought up, to believe sky invented football.

Back
Top Bottom