The last time we finished above...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Revolution

Reaction score
So, with one game to go, we are guaranteed an excellent top half finish. We could also finish anywhere between 8th and 10th

8th would be our highest league position since 1975.

10th will be our highest finish since 1992, and 9th would equal our finish that year.

Another little incentive to finish 8th is that this will ensure we finish above Arsenal for the first time since 1975.

The breakdown of the last time we finished above this years PL teams is as follows:

teams we can’t finish above this season:

Liverpool - last finished above them in 1962
Man Utd - 1975
Man City - 1999
Tottenham - 1992
Chelsea -1993
Wolves - 2007
Leicester 2009

teams we might finish above this season:

Arsenal - last finished above them in 1975
Burnley - 2009

teams we can’t finish below:

Everton - last finished above them in 1992
Southampton 2011
Newcastle 1993
Crystal Palace 2010
Brighton 2011
West Ham 1993
Aston Villa 2019
Watford 2010
Bournemouth 2012
Norwich 2018

It’s satisfying to finish above Everton, Newcastle and West Ham for the first time in ages. Let’s hope we can add Arsenal to the list.

Also just consider how much, those teams we finish above, have spent on players fees, wages and agents fees, not just in this season but previous years just to tread water in th PL.

Highest position since 1975 and we have pigs mocking us for saying it's the best season ever.

Sorry - we don't all talk about stuff that happened before we were born

Also just consider how much, those teams we finish above, have spent on players fees, wages and agents fees, not just in this season but previous years just to tread water in th PL.
After 4 years of progress , we have to adapt our psychology to believe that treading water in the PL equates to success.

Excellent summary! I'm surprised that it's so long since we've finished above West Ham. Looking at their record, they've only spent three seasons outside the top flight in that time. I could have sworn they'd had quite a few more ups and downs than that.

1975 was a bang average First Division, we just got lucky that all the big teams were having transition years. We soon got found out after that, that’s why it hasn’t happened since.

I know this because a Wednesdayite told me.

funnily enough, it was a bit of a transition season for some big or recently successful clubs:

• Arsenal finished 16th, their lowest finish since the 1920s
  • Man U were in Division 2 for the only time since the war
  • Leeds finished 9th in the Damned United season
  • Spurs escaped relegation on the last day

Derby, Liverpool, Ipswich, Everton and Stoke finished above us.

All we can ask of United's owners Team, and Boss, is that we finish higher each season.

That'll do me, ...... ;)

Fact. Only once in Chis Wilder's managerial career has he finished in a lower position than the previous season (one of his seasons at Halifax).

So guys sometime in the next decade we should be Premier League champions. 😛

My biggest disappointment is not finishing above Wolves. We've been leapfrogging l season and my Wolves fan mate is going to love that. Bastard

Wilder out.

The 1974-75 team werent as good as the 1971 team. We had sold Salmons in Summer 1974 and, apart from Jim Brown who was a good keeper, the signings Furphy made (Garbett, Bradford and Field) werent really inspiring. Our defence were good with Badger and Colquhoun playing 37 and 38 league games respectively, Hemsley missed the last 10 games due to injury. TC controlled the midfield, skipper Eddy was a good leader, Speight worked like a trojan but still had his critics, Woody still scoring great goals and assists. Dearden missed some games due to injury. Field scored a great goal against Ipswich but I felt that in many games the ball fell right for him to score vital goals.

I would say that as a team, this season was better than 1971 or 1974-75.

League Appearances;

Jim Brown 42
Len Badger 37
Ted Hemsley 32
Keith Eddy 39
Eddie Colquhoun 38
Colin Franks 22 + 3 sub
Alan Woodward 42
Mick Speight 33
Bill Dearden 31 + 3
Tony Currie 42
Tony Field 42

David Bradford 22 + 4
John Flynn 18
Steve Cammack 7 + 6
Terry Garbett 5 + 4
Garry Jones 3
Steve Faulkner 3
Terry Nicholl 2 + 3
Steve Goulding 2
Ian MacKenzie 0 + 1
Gary France 0 + 1

League goals

Woodward 12
Field 10
Eddy 9 (6 pens)
Dearden 8
Currie 7
Cammack 3
Speight 2
Badger 1
Bradford 1
Flynn 1
Jones 1
2 own goals
1974-75.jpg

The 1974-75 team werent as good as the 1971 team. We had sold Salmons in Summer 1974 and, apart from Jim Brown who was a good keeper, the signings Furphy made (Garbett, Bradford and Field) werent really inspiring. Our defence were good with Badger and Colquhoun playing 37 and 38 league games respectively, Hemsley missed the last 10 games due to injury. TC controlled the midfield, skipper Eddy was a good leader, Speight worked like a trojan but still had his critics, Woody still scoring great goals and assists. Dearden missed some games due to injury. Field scored a great goal against Ipswich but I felt that in many games the ball fell right for him to score vital goals.

I would say that as a team, this season was better than 1971 or 1974-75.

League Appearances;

Jim Brown 42
Len Badger 37
Ted Hemsley 32
Keith Eddy 39
Eddie Colquhoun 38
Colin Franks 22 + 3 sub
Alan Woodward 42
Mick Speight 33
Bill Dearden 31 + 3
Tony Currie 42
Tony Field 42

David Bradford 22 + 4
John Flynn 18
Steve Cammack 7 + 6
Terry Garbett 5 + 4
Garry Jones 3
Steve Faulkner 3
Terry Nicholl 2 + 3
Steve Goulding 2
Ian MacKenzie 0 + 1
Gary France 0 + 1

League goals

Woodward 12
Field 10
Eddy 9 (6 pens)
Dearden 8
Currie 7
Cammack 3
Speight 2
Badger 1
Bradford 1
Flynn 1
Jones 1
2 own goals
View attachment 86272
Bloody hell with that attack we wouldve been top 4 this season. :oops: 😂

After 4 years of progress , we have to adapt our psychology to believe that treading water in the PL equates to success.

This. ^^^

A couple of seasons of wise investment in the potential of the squad and the infrastructure whilst finishing anywhere above 18th would be real success.

Highest position since 1975 and we have pigs mocking us for saying it's the best season ever.

Sorry - we don't all talk about stuff that happened before we were born
I remember 1975 well.

We got relegated the following season.

Just saying like 😉

I have to disagree the1971team is far better than the current team. however, they have been brilliant this season.
you can,t compare.Dearden/Sharp..etc..

9th or 10th I reckon as I think Ings and co will beat us on Sunday.

Still a heck of an achievement

If you look at the team of 75 Garbett, Field and Bradford were 3rd div standard players who might improve (too many in one team) Mick Speight was only a young kid too. Apart from John Flynn the reserves were nowhere near the standards of the first team. The 71 team was probably better I'd say but today's team is better again even if we don't have a Woodward or a Currie in the side.

So, with one game to go, we are guaranteed an excellent top half finish. We could also finish anywhere between 8th and 10th

8th would be our highest league position since 1975.

10th will be our highest finish since 1992, and 9th would equal our finish that year.

Another little incentive to finish 8th is that this will ensure we finish above Arsenal for the first time since 1975.

The breakdown of the last time we finished above this years PL teams is as follows:

teams we can’t finish above this season:

Liverpool - last finished above them in 1962
Man Utd - 1975
Man City - 1999
Tottenham - 1992
Chelsea -1993
Wolves - 2007
Leicester 2009

teams we might finish above this season:

Arsenal - last finished above them in 1975
Burnley - 2009

teams we can’t finish below:

Everton - last finished above them in 1992
Southampton 2011
Newcastle 1993
Crystal Palace 2010
Brighton 2011
West Ham 1993
Aston Villa 2019
Watford 2010
Bournemouth 2012
Norwich 2018

It’s satisfying to finish above Everton, Newcastle and West Ham for the first time in ages. Let’s hope we can add Arsenal to the list.

John Harris's team of 1962 are the benchmark. In their first season back in Division 1, now the EPL, they finished 5th after being promoted the previous season with Alf Ramseys Ipswich who went on to win the title. We even managed to lose three of our last five games but still good enough to finish one point in front of the Pigs who were riding high after being runners up the previous season. We did the double over them and put them back in their boxes after they'd played in the Inter City Fairs Cup for the first and only time. Unfortunately its going to be a few more years before we finish above Liverpool again but we have put the first pieces in place this season.

Back
Top Bottom