'Memries' The day we win promotion at Northampton, happy memories

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
April 8th 2017, one of the happiest days supporting the Blades. Even I joined in the pitch invasion at the end (but only after an old couple hobbled on with their walking sticks and I was the only one left in the away end!). Screenshot_20200408_074504_com.android.chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200408_074425_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Does someone midway through that yell “let it go Bill!” as he’s comparing to the previous season?

I thought it was 'let it go Bill' as in don't hold back your emotions - he was getting a bit teary at that point

I thought it was 'let it go Bill' as in don't hold back your emotions - he was getting a bit teary at that point

That probably makes more sense. In my head when watching that, Martyn Woolford had snuck into the car park to congratulate his ex-teammates and was taking personal offence at the slight against the previous season’s squad.

Spot the Blades fans amongst the Northampton fans. One is fairly obvious
IMG_1738 (2).JPG

Spot the Blades fans amongst the Northampton fans. One is fairly obvious
View attachment 76389

For anyone who doesn’t know the story...this guy started his day in France, decided on the morning he wanted to try and get to the game, managed to make it there but could only get a ticket in the home end. When United’s first goal went in he ran the full length of the pitch and managed to get in with the Blades fans. When United’s second goal went in he managed to get onto the United bench (you can see him on the highlights dodging around Hanson who tries to celebrate with him) where he stayed for the rest of the game, taking selfies with the players. The stewards obviously tried to remove him but I believe Wilder himself said he could stay.

Watching the replay, hitting the bar in the first 10 mins was basically the last thing of any note Carruthers has done in his footballing career.

He scored against Fulham in that crazy 4-5 match in the Championship.

I stand corrected – I’d completely forgotten he’d scored at all that season.

I’d also forgotten how sloppy we looked that first half after the first 10 or so mins. We had only just played the Wednesday before, but we look disjointed with the changes made.

Before the game I was outside that big eating pub where most blades seemed to be, I offered Northampton fans upto £80 for a ticket but they wouldn’t take it. Ended up watching from the hill. I remember being very gutted (and drunk and sunburnt) at halftime 1-0 down. After fleck scored it was a case of having to get on the pitch by hook or crook so desperately tried to get in the away end to be met by loads of coppers, tried the home end where the dugout was and my mate got through but I couldn’t, blagged my way into their kop putting on a shitty southern accent saying I’m a cobbler and lost my son (or something like that can’t remember) right on queue as I got to the front of the stand the whistle went. The scene of thousands of blades fans running towards me with a roar was unbelievable.

I think it’s still a shame that we weren’t able to get a few more there to enjoy it, though given the scenes after each goal and the behaviour of a minority that clearly didn’t know how to not draw attention to themselves in the home end, it’s perhaps in retrospect understandable.

It was a great day though. Leicester away was before my time, and I guess the other two promotions in between didn’t quite have that mathematically-secured aspect (even though the Ipswich game was as good as). Equally though, the experience for those at the Lane afterwards must have been arguably as good if not better than being at the game.

F2F5D84D-3548-4292-B05C-F19B8C75772B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom