The Case for Eddie Howe

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Dont forget Eddie Howe had a horrendous injury list last season and had difficulty in finding 11 players to turn out

Howe relegated Bournemouth with a comparable transfer spend to United, and a wage bill more than twice our 18/19 wage bill.

That’s one of my concerns about him. I don’t believe in coincidence, he’s either very adept at signing injury prone players or there’s something not right in the training. My other concern is that he signed Ibe despite apparently most of Liverpool knowing he’s a wrong ‘un.

That said, I think it’s very difficult to take a club like Bournemouth to the “next level”. Particularly with the constraints around developing the stadium. Even putting that aside, you look at Brighton, spent big (relatively), brought in a proven DoF (after wasting quite a lot of money in poor foreign signings under Hughton and the previous DoF/HoR) and try to play attractive front foot football but are still in a relegation battle. It makes me wonder where Rodgers would be now if he hadn’t been offered the Liverpool job and had stayed at Swansea.

That would be another concern for me. Bournemouth have prioritised funding a bat shit crazy wage bill allied to a healthy transfer spend under Howe, rather than investing in desperately needed infrastructure. It doesn't say much for Howe's character that this strategy happened on his watch; and possibly at his behest. We've had two years of prem money and have already invested in the academy, and would've already developed the Kop if it wasn't for Covid (plans were in place to do it last summer). What I would say in defence of Howe, is that despite the large wage bill and transfer budget at least they targeted young players that were bought to develop and be sold on. It wasn't complete boom and bust. It's paid dividends for them post relegation, and they've still got some good assets to move on if they aren't promoted this season.

Last edited:
That would be another concern for me. Bournemouth have prioritised funding a bat shit crazy wage bill allied to a healthy transfer spend under Howe, rather than investing in desperately needed infrastructure. It doesn't say much for Howe's character that this strategy happened on his watch; and possibly at his behest. We've had two years of prem money and have already invested in the academy, and would've already developed the Kop if it wasn't for Covid (plans were in place to do it last summer). What I would say in defence of Howe, is that despite the large wage bill and transfer budget at least they targeted young players that were bought to develop and be sold on. It wasn't complete boom and bust. It's paid dividends for them post relegation, and they've still got some good assets to move on if they aren't promoted this season.
It’s taken them quite some time to find an appropriate site and get consent as sites are difficult to find down there. I’m not sure if they’re still going ahead with this

It’s taken them quite some time to find an appropriate site and get consent as sites are difficult to find down there. I’m not sure if they’re still going ahead with this

If they are you'd think it was Denim money rather than paid for with Prem cash. They weren't saving for a rainy day at Bournemouth. In many ways they've changed my outlook on the Prem: it seems you need an annual transfer spend of 50-60 million and a wage bill of 90-120 million to be competitive. A club like United need an owner who's prepared to burn in the region of 20-50 million of his/herown money per season to be competitive. Burnley are the exception that have sustained prem football, with a wage bill of around 90 million due to an extremely low transfer expenditure. It really is madness.

Last edited:
If they are you'd think it was Denim money rather than paid for with Prem cash. They weren't saving for a rainy day at Bournemouth. In many ways they've changed my outlook on the Prem: it seems you need an annual transfer spend of 50-60 million and a wage bill of 90-120 million to be competitive. A club like United need an owner who's prepared to burn in the region of 20-50 million of their own money per season to be competitive. Burnley are the exception that have sustained prem football, with a wage bill of around 90 million due to an extremely low transfer expenditure. It really is madness.
I think in an ideal world an owner has to do two things. Invest when a club is promoted to the PL, their own money, not just PL income. Then be prepared to invest again, when things don’t go to plan, which will inevitably happen at some point in time, as that’s the nature of football. Most of the time an established PL club can sustain itself if it has good scouting, a good academy and a good manager but it’s a real “people business” a club is only as good as its staff and players. The high turnover means there will be times when recruitment fails and that’s when an owner has to put his hand in his pocket again. Or get lucky and get it wrong when three other clubs get it more wrong.
Newcastle are a good example. Ashley won’t put his own money in so, to an extent, they’re hostages to fortune. That’s why they’ve been relegated twice whilst he’s been the owner.

And? Are you really struggling to grasp what I’ve said?
No the £130m we have allegedly spent in 3 x transfer windows will be dwarfed by what Bournemouth have spent in fees and wages. We are not paying any of our squad anywhere near what the main actors at Bournemouth were on. They managed to spend their way out of the Championship which is something we didnt do and have spent big money in the PL, they have had 5years of PL money as well as their rich owners chipping in
So to imply Wilder has had a similar budget to Howe is nonsensical

i know sometimes in person i can be too blunt & ive got in trouble for not sugarcoating things before. but normally because i cant phrase any better

you know when we laughed at Wednesday for being massively optimistic that he would even entertain the thought of Sheffield Wednesday. well we are in the same boat. he is brightest English "young" manager, if Southgate fails at euros then Howe, Gerrard & Dyche will be names talked about for england. he aint coming in the same way harry redknapp & maurico Pochettino isnt coming

we had to do things much cheaper & 1 thing that is forgotten. there isnt a person out there who wont be working harder than him.to make sure utd are back. because this isnt any other managers if he gets sacked he not going off to another job. he still wstchong our next game & coming to the games. when his schedule allows

Has anyone mentioned Steven Gerrard? 🤔

i know sometimes in person i can be too blunt & ive got in trouble for not sugarcoating things before. but normally because i cant phrase any better

you know when we laughed at Wednesday for being massively optimistic that he would even entertain the thought of Sheffield Wednesday. well we are in the same boat. he is brightest English "young" manager, if Southgate fails at euros then Howe, Gerrard & Dyche will be names talked about for england. he aint coming in the same way harry redknapp & maurico Pochettino isnt coming

we had to do things much cheaper & 1 thing that is forgotten. there isnt a person out there who wont be working harder than him.to make sure utd are back. because this isnt any other managers if he gets sacked he not going off to another job. he still wstchong our next game & coming to the games. when his schedule allows
I don’t understand why you think Howe is the second coming of Carlo Ancelotti. You are the only person I’ve ever spoken to who thinks he would be out of our reach 😂

You're being a loser and defeatist if you don't think our club can possibly attain Eddie Howe.
your been delusional if you think that he would touch bevause any appointment if we made 1. which i wouldnt unless we going badly in 12 months. would be with a season of the championship in mind. Eddie Howe is 1 brightest England managers. wont go to a team that has 1pt from 12 games
Screenshot_20201215-111308_Samsung Internet.jpg

in the same way that if Pixie Lott or Zara Larsson was single. i wouldnt be loser or defeatist to know that they were out of my league. i would be realistic & aware of my limits

your been delusional if you think that he would touch bevause any appointment if we made 1. which i wouldnt unless we going badly in 12 months. would be with a season of the championship in mind. Eddie Howe is 1 brightest England managers. wont go to a team that has 1pt from 12 games
View attachment 100519

in the same way that if Pixie Lott or Zara Larsson was single. i wouldnt be loser or defeatist to know that they were out of my league. i would be realistic & aware of my limits
He's out of a job after relegation for crying out loud.

As for being on the England manager betting, he's English and managed in the PL. of course he's on the list.

Howe is a fraud. He's never achieved anything without major backing for the level he was at. Bournemouth were relegated with the biggest wage bill in history, circa 110 million, whilst lavishing large transfer budgets on players every year. The moment he had to manage at Burnley, he left, and let Dyche show him what management was. Incidentally the only manager in England with the CV to justifiably replace CW/AK is Dyche, and I very much doubt we could attract him. Unless the Prince knows who the next Klopp is on the continent, there is no justification for replacing CW/AK that exceeds the knee jerk 2006/7 stuff . Au contraire: we should be taking the opportunity to extend the management deals - implementing big release clauses, and low exit clauses for the club - whilst their stock is relatively low.
I think Howe’s achievements have already been well explained by SeaSeaSeaSider - he took Bournemouth on an even more remarkable rise through the divisions than ours.

Do you think he had ‘major backing’ when they were on -17 in administration and bottom of League 2?

They had backing in the championship, he delivered. He also kept them in the premier league for 5 years.

I don’t want wilder to leave, I hope it will get better, but Sunday’s performance on top of the rest of the season was the first time I thought Wilder might not have the answers anymore.

I don’t see what’s wrong with the suggestion that Eddie Howe might do a good job here? For what it’s worth I don’t think that in the hypothetical situation that Howe was offered the Blades job, that he would take it.

Do you not know how to support?
Interesting point this, which comes up again and again. Often linked to the military simile of ''Thank god there's not a war on'' and the like.

By any set of fan's experiences, the mire we're in at the moment puts us in the ''It's OK to be fucked off'' bracket.

Also, it's not fellow supporters that the trenches accusation should be made at - it's the players, and to some extent, the gaffer.

Try a foreign manager. They seem to be more successful nowadays.

Interesting point this, which comes up again and again. Often linked to the military simile of ''Thank god there's not a war on'' and the like.

By any set of fan's experiences, the mire we're in at the moment puts us in the ''It's OK to be fucked off'' bracket.

Also, it's not fellow supporters that the trenches accusation should be made at - it's the players, and to some extent, the gaffer.
Though like myself you can be pissed off at the situation and still support the manager we already have. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

I'd be fully behind the Eddie Howe appointment if we decide to part ways with Wilder.

He's got lots of experience at Premier League level and a track record of playing positive, attacking football.

Not sure I'd be on for the absolute shithousing tactics that his Bournemouth lads seemed to deploy against us last season, but I do think our lads are a bit too honest so maybe it would help.

I'd be fully behind the Eddie Howe appointment if we decide to part ways with Wilder.

He's got lots of experience at Premier League level and a track record of playing positive, attacking football.

Not sure I'd be on for the absolute shithousing tactics that his Bournemouth lads seemed to deploy against us last season, but I do think our lads are a bit too honest so maybe it would help.
I would as well but ONLY if Chris decides to walk.

People keep saying ‘I see people talking about Wilder leaving but there’s no viable alternative’ - I’ve got one. Eddie Howe.
For some reason some of our fans scoff at him? Eh? What’s not to like apart from him being southern?

Pros:
  • Plays attacking football, we might score 2 goals in a game and maybe more than 1 from open play every 12 games.
  • Likes players with pace, so we might see some counter attacks that don’t take the same time it takes to watch the Star Wars collection in full
  • Has plenty of PL experience, more than our club has got actually
  • Has promotion experience, shows he knows how to spend money in the leagues below in order to get over the line
  • Comes across as a likeable bloke who the players would get along with
  • Has had 2 of our most expensive players already so will know ho

Cons:
  • Southern
  • Failed at Burnley in only Northern job 7 years ago or something
  • Has a relegation on his CV (although that was double points at least, unlike what we’ll achieve)
  • Defensively Bournemouth were poor, so we might be as bad as we are now
  • Is apparently waiting for Celtic or something
  • Looks like he might burst into tears at any minute

Shouts for Big Sam, Curbishley, Redknapp, Warnock, whoever else should be laughed at rightfully.
But if we need a new manager from these shores, I don’t see a better option than South Coast Eddie.

This isn’t a Wilder out post before I get called reactionary, a pig, a doom merchant, a troll, whatever else. But when you lose 15 league games out of 16, score 1 open play goal in that time, have scored 2 goals in the calendar year 3 times, have a manager making very very bizarre decisions (that lineup yesterday ffs), and are playing football that Morecambe would turn their nose up at - I think you’re entitled to start thinking of alternatives.

South Coast Eddie, he’s the man. If he can’t do it, no one can.
I love the bit about his facial expression.
Couldn't agree more.
Chris also looks like he's going to cry usually now.

Should the (still) unthinkable happen and CWAK no longer have the keys, I doubt United's hot seat would interest Howe. Side stepping the issue of our geographic location, it's a big challenge and big risk to his still highly regarded rep. And I doubt the financial package would be 'too good to turn down'. I imagine he'd think he's already earned his stripes and so should keep his CV filed for juicier opportunities - which inevitably will come around.

Despite (my own) bitching and moaning though I'm still dreaming Wilder can stop the rot and weld back together our cut and shut squad to finish the season with some respect, and also give enough confidence he can lead next year. I've given up on the season but not given up on him being the best man to swing things back around.

Come back when Wilders win % in his time with us falls into the low 30's, as it is it stands at 47%

If you did really well at your job for four years, would your employer, colleagues and any other stakeholders in the company be fine with it if you did absolutely fuck all for a year, undoing at least two of your previous good years’ work?

I think Howe’s achievements have already been well explained by SeaSeaSeaSider - he took Bournemouth on an even more remarkable rise through the divisions than ours.

Do you think he had ‘major backing’ when they were on -17 in administration and bottom of League 2?

They had backing in the championship, he delivered. He also kept them in the premier league for 5 years.

I don’t want wilder to leave, I hope it will get better, but Sunday’s performance on top of the rest of the season was the first time I thought Wilder might not have the answers anymore.

I don’t see what’s wrong with the suggestion that Eddie Howe might do a good job here? For what it’s worth I don’t think that in the hypothetical situation that Howe was offered the Blades job, that he would take it.
Desperately Seeking some solace from it all at the moment. Would love to trot out some cliches like " things can only....".etc but lets hope Thursday brings a little light into our season. Come on you red and white wizards

Back
Top Bottom