The Blades player who made me fall in love with football was.....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

When I were a very young lad, and footballers only existed on tv in our house, it was old fashioned wingers that really turned me on to the game. In particular,

upload_2019-2-15_16-27-16.jpeg

Obviously, in later life,

A5A19D33-F9E6-4713-AAD6-A907B1968392.jpeg

TC for me. He was a footballing icon in his day and a fashion icon too.

He represented a rare breed of swashbuckling footballing Mavericks. He looked like a rock star. He was everything the 1970’s were all about. A time of avant garde attitudes in society.

It coincided with me coming of age as a teenager. A time I fondly look back on when I turned from being a child to being a young man with the world around me opening up like a huge window. I was out of short trousers (at last), I could buy my own clothes, dress as I wanted to, go out on the town, drink beer, go to clubs, chat up girls.

And watch Sheffield United play some great football.

Reactions: SWB
Alan Hodgkinson, Cec Coldwell, Graham Shaw, Derek Richardson, JOE SHAW, Gerry Summers, Kevin Lewis, Billy Hodgson, Doc Pace, Billy Russell, Ron Simpson
Precious memories of special heroes who are still able to create a glow after all these years - BLESS 'EM ALL

Currie. Idolised him.

Also loved Woodward, obviously, and was heartbroken when we sold Geoff Salmons.

I think the 1988 89 home game with Vale, ended 0 0.

It did indeed! I'm not sure who the opponents were then, but Deano scored a last minute winner and ended up slightly injured on the touchline. I was stood behind the White Wall on the Kop and the whole ground it seemed was chanting "Deano, Deano" whilst he got the magic sponge......For the first time in my life I shouted myself hoarse, and for the first time in my life felt totally elated! I was so happy I nearly cried (I was only a kid) and although I didn't realise it at the time, I'd fallen in love with Brian Deane and Sheffield United; three firsts in the space of five minutes!!

Special mentions also to Tony Agana, Bob Booker, John Gannon, Dane Whitehouse and Carl Bradshaw!

EDIT: And BOBBY DAVISON!!

Best player to wear the shirt , a man who was so down to earth and should have gained an England shirt .
Wish I could have played football like him , and wish I had his silver locks RIP Alan .
upload_2019-2-16_12-14-12.jpeg

TC - followed very closely by Woody, followed closely by quite a few from the John Harris promotion team.

Harris said that Bill Dearden was his 2nd best signing after TC, so there's a third.

That team was an outstanding influence on me and many others - they played the game the right way - as does CW and the team of here and now.

UTB

Pontefract Blade - I was Michael Tonge's PE teacher. We were a rugby league team and Michael played up until Y9. Never missed a school football match even though he was at Manure all the way through school. Man United always encouraged him to play for school ahead of training with them. Not many professional clubs have that approach, they believe school age footballers should play for school with their friends.
You could wish to meet a more balanced and hard working lad. He was always going to be a professional footballer, his touch was so good with both feet. Really pleased when he said he was leaving Man U and after looking at lots of other premier league clubs Steve Bruce (yes him) persuaded him to come to the lane.

I fell in love with the Blades watching Woody, TC, Badger and Hodgy however Bill Dearden was always the guy who inspired me along with Imre Varadi, Brian Deane and of course Billy who like Woody and Hodgkinson has the Blades flowing through his veins.

It did indeed! I'm not sure who the opponents were then, but Deano scored a last minute winner and ended up slightly injured on the touchline. I was stood behind the White Wall on the Kop and the whole ground it seemed was chanting "Deano, Deano" whilst he got the magic sponge......For the first time in my life I shouted myself hoarse, and for the first time in my life felt totally elated! I was so happy I nearly cried (I was only a kid) and although I didn't realise it at the time, I'd fallen in love with Brian Deane and Sheffield United; three firsts in the space of five minutes!!

Special mentions also to Tony Agana, Bob Booker, John Gannon, Dane Whitehouse and Carl Bradshaw!

EDIT: And BOBBY DAVISON!!
21 April 1990.
United 2 Vale 1.
Division 2.
Deane injury time winner.

Back
Top Bottom