The 5 coming in possibilitiesa

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It seems it will be the two wing backs, Burke and then hopefully one more centre back and then another striker...those last two was according to CW.

We'd have (assuming the 3 come in as touted)

GK - Ramsdale, Foderingham, Verrips/ or Moore - one will leave

RWB - Baldock, Bogle

LWB - Stevens, Lowe

CB - Egan, O' Connell, Basham, Robinson, Jagielka, Rodwell

CM - Norwood, Fleck, Berge, Lundstram, Osborn

CF - McBurnie, McGoldrick, Mousset, Sharp, Burke (can play WB too)

That's 23? So 2 more to come in...as I say reckon a striker and centre back.

Short to mid term...January and moving onto next summer I'd expect upgrades on Jags, Rodwell and Lundstram (due to him probably leaving) and possibly Mousset to move on (unless he can last more than 60 mins)

Before this summer we needed to improve the GK dept (at least long term with our own keeper), wing back cover and then centre back cover and quality up top. Looks like we have achieved the first two areas but just plodding on with what we have at cb cover. Still think a striker will come in before October especially if we struggle for goals.

This is just the thing I don't get.

At 23, Burke has made 2 moves which attracted a fee over 13m.

He has played 25+ gamed in the top flight in Germany, the top flight in Spain regularly and also the top flight in England as well as in the CL with Celtic and is a full international.

Don't tell me he doesn't have any redeeming features because he simply would not have picked up that degree of experience if he didn't show the capacity to be a good player. He may be in need of some love and a home but there is a player there who his shown he can operate at the top level but perhaps is missing consistency.

Meanwhile at 2 years older, 4 inches shorter, and not as quick, Robinson has only managed the 17 games at the top level that we gave him last year and was still not convincing enough to the current management team to avoid being offloaded in the January transfer window.

Whilst I was a little pessimistic about this initially, I don't see Robbo fitting in anymore this year than he did last. I do hear of attributes, which Robinson doesn't provide and which we lack, that come in the shape of Burke. Pace and Power are 2 things we need and I didn't see that from Robbo.

So whilst one may well not become a success I think Chris and Alan have already decided in their heart of hearts that the other has not done enough to show he ever will, with us. Nice lad all the same.

After last years pre season I really thought Robbo would turn out to be a great addition but unfortunately, same with Freeman, he was a victim of our formation doing so well that there was no need to change things around.

He’s not a striker and never will be. The only way I could see him doing well here is if we switched to a 343 or 3421 formation. I actually think that was the tweak we needed to make to be more effective in the final 3rd this season but based on pre season it looks like we’ll be going with the 352 formation and the tweak will be how we apply it.

Shame as he seems like a spot on lad in the videos the clubs release but I just don’t think it will work out for him here so a move is probably best for all parties.

As for Burke there’s obviously a player in there somewhere and he is nowhere near that same risk that Ravel was So I’m very much seeing it as a “let’s see” type of transfer.

It seems it will be the two wing backs, Burke and then hopefully one more centre back and then another striker...those last two was according to CW.

We'd have (assuming the 3 come in as touted)

GK - Ramsdale, Foderingham, Verrips/ or Moore - one will leave

RWB - Baldock, Bogle

LWB - Stevens, Lowe

CB - Egan, O' Connell, Basham, Robinson, Jagielka, Rodwell

CM - Norwood, Fleck, Berge, Lundstram, Osborn

CF - McBurnie, McGoldrick, Mousset, Sharp, Burke (can play WB too)

That's 23? So 2 more to come in...as I say reckon a striker and centre back.

Technically, I think that anyone born after 1 January 1999 (i.e. U21s) doesn’t count towards the 25 man squad. So, Jayden Bogle (dob July 2000) won’t be counted in our 25.
So, if I’m right, that’s 22 places taken, and therefore, we have potentially three more places available in the squad.

Technically, I think that anyone born after 1 January 1999 (i.e. U21s) doesn’t count towards the 25 man squad. So, Jayden Bogle (dob July 2000) won’t be counted in our 25.
So, if I’m right, that’s 22 places taken, and therefore, we have potentially three more places available in the squad.

Either Wilder is really bad at maths or he's alluding to more than 5 players.

Why is everyone forgetting that Dennis can also play on the right of midfield. If he comes I have him pegged for taking Lunnys spot as can't see Berge playing their again this season.
Where is Berge gonna play then ?

Why are some on here so determined to play players out of position? Burke up front, Cash and Bogle at RCM and now Berge at RCB.

After last years pre season I really thought Robbo would turn out to be a great addition but unfortunately, same with Freeman, he was a victim of our formation doing so well that there was no need to change things around.

He’s not a striker and never will be. The only way I could see him doing well here is if we switched to a 343 or 3421 formation. I actually think that was the tweak we needed to make to be more effective in the final 3rd this season but based on pre season it looks like we’ll be going with the 352 formation and the tweak will be how we apply it.

Shame as he seems like a spot on lad in the videos the clubs release but I just don’t think it will work out for him here so a move is probably best for all parties.

As for Burke there’s obviously a player in there somewhere and he is nowhere near that same risk that Ravel was So I’m very much seeing it as a “let’s see” type of transfer.

Yeah but a lets see with an 7.5 million price tag (if robbo goes the other way) 😳

Why are some on here so determined to play players out of position? Burke up front, Cash and Bogle at RCM and now Berge at RCB.
Because he obviously have some of the same qualities that JOC and Basham has. I havent watched enough of the others to comment, but we have seen how good Berge is at carriyng the ball.

Because he obviously have some of the same qualities that JOC and Basham has. I havent watched enough of the others to comment, but we have seen how good Berge is at carriyng the ball.

Have we also not seen how poor Berge is in the air, especially for a guy of his size?

Have we also not seen how poor Berge is in the air, especially for a guy of his size?
In the prem Berge has won 35 aerial duels and lost 16.
Meanwhile Basham has won 122, while losing 72.
It is also a lot more 50/50 duels in midfield, so you would expect a defender to have a higher rate of success than a midfielder.
Berge is poor at controlling his heading in the final third, but I can't remember ever seing him being poor at heading in defence?

Probably will get gametime regardless of who comes. Would love to see him tested at rcb when Basham needs rotation.
Tottenham at home ended that debate.

Wilder said the squad will be better overall than last season but will the first 11? Not seeing any evidence it will so far.

I'm inclined to agree. Bogle, Lowe & Burke don't (on paper) directly come in and improve the first XI.

However, we saw the alarming drop-off in form of Enda post-lockdown and without reshuffling the whole pack we had no options to change it.

With the signings of these two young wing backs, we have genuine competition for those positions. Either the lads keep their standards up, or they'll be out.

Not looking forward to this move. Seems like he's had several chances with other teams and still hasn't found a home. I think the physical attributes are definitely desirable, but I don't think he has the mental attributes to succeed... I hope I'm wrong.

I think with Oli Burke it's going to depend on what your definition of success is. I don't think he's going to come in and be our starting striker and score 10+ goals a season.

But can he come on in games, give us an outlet, be a bit of a battering ram, chase balls into channels, knock defenders about, disrupt, help us get up the field when we're struggling in games... I think himself and Mousset coming off the bench can change the dynamic of a game in our favour.

Compare the above to what Callum Robinson could offer in our system from the bench. Then I think you have your answer as to why the swap deal makes a bit of sense.

By all accounts, Burke isn't great. His first touch is heavy, he's a bit clumsy and he's tactically unaware. But give him simple instructions as per the above and maybe we'll extract a bit of value from it.

Back
Top Bottom