The 3 mistakes that have led to our downfall.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Think Chris should have been drilling berge on how to jump and head the ball it's not exactly difficult instead he immediately gave up on the idea of our 6'5 player using his height to score goals or get flick ons or defend setpieces and sticks him outside the box..

Biggest issue for me is the commitment to a wage structure that makes it almost impossible to compete with other teams in the Premier League. We’ve been unable to attract the calibre of player required to improve the first team and build on the foundations of last season. Then to overspend on fees of certain bang average footballers, you have to wonder if this money could have been used better.

Thats actually a blessing....the trick is to gradually increase wages....walk before you can run.

Just think if we were paying all our players £50K to 100K a week.....the lockdown with reduced funds would cause financial issues
and relegation would be the disaster of all disasters. We’d be heading for admin....points deductions and league 1 bound.

Also the buying young players with high potential is a well used financial tactic.
We’ve bought top rated YOUNG players who have performed well in the Championship.

The financial risk isn’t as high because they usually retain their resale value....hence ensuring the financial stability future of the club is insured.

1. Signing mid table championship players
2. Failing to sign any creative players
3. Not replacing O Connell
Oh and having no fans has affected us more than anyone in the league.

1. The dressing down after Leicester away last season. I said at the time, that could go one of two ways, you cannot say your players who were currently 6th in the PL are league 1 and championship players who are playing out of their skin for you. You cannot throw them under the bus and expect them to play for you. The performance wasn't actually that bad, it would have been a "great" performance this season.

2. One rule for one......lundstrum. He got Duffy out the door for far less, yet lundstrum is always in the team, despite not being very good (although that could be said about a few lately). Duffy has mates at United, what will they think when he did that to the bouncekiller yet allows lundstrum free reign.

3. Mcburnie. He has never been any good, I remember a few on here trying to defend him to the hilt. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a chuffing duck. Sadly sticking by him meant that any football went out of the window and we launched it long, it's completely lost the rhythm of the team. His signings have been shocking in the PL but he laid the marker down with a CF who isn't a good as porter was.

Never been as fed up of fooking football as I am now. Not sure what happens from here. Global thermo nuclear war anyone?

UTB FTP
When putting expert analysis like this can you please provide us with your football CV, which premier league clubs have you managed.

With hindsight and without the benefit of all the information (which means this could be wildly inaccurate - but that doesn't stop anyone else on here), I wonder if the biggest mistake was not sending O'Connell for surgery as soon as he sustained the injury. Maybe he didn't need it then, maybe the injury got worse since but it feels like we put it off hoping everything would be OK and that ended up costing us.

Another thing I wonder about was some of the players going on a fitness boot camp when the season was paused and about the whole group working so hard on fitness just before the restart. Have we lost a bit of intensity because the likes of Basham, Baldock, Stevens, Fleck etc have played week in, week out for so long in a system that requires incredible amounts of work? Should they all have had a rest and recharged and come back 85% fit but refreshed rather than 100% fit but knackered?

I don't think the recruitment has been perfect but I don't see too many solutions within our current wage structure. I think we've been forced to gamble on potential because anyone proven at this level isn't coming for £25k a week. At least there's a clear strategy in terms of reducing the age of the squad.

The issue has been signing players for the future (Bogle, Lowe, Brewster etc) and not for the here and now.

Very remaniscent of the season with Warnock when we signed 'players for the future' in Luton Shelton and Ahmed Fathi.

You could argue recruitment was done in the wrong areas, did we need back ups for Baldock and inparticular Stevens (if enda is injured you play Osborn as per last season) and I think Osborn is a better LWB than LCM. Can understand cover slightly more at RWB once Kieron Freeman left.

Also WTF did we give Rodwell a contract for

As ever, it's all about opinions, but these would be my top three factors, although you could argue they are actually 5 or 6...

1. O'Connell injury - a massive blow to us, not only from a defensive perspective but he's been integral to how that left hand side operated with Stevens and Fleck in driving us forward. People talk about our 'over lapping CB's' being nullified but for me losing O'Connell meant we were always going to struggle to keep doing it well. Now we can't seem to do it at all and it's also inbalanced the side. I've read we should have replaced him and I'd like to ask "Who with?" - he's been fairly unique as an attacking left footed/left sided CB. I can't think of anyone who would be an ideal replacement without spending about £40m.

2. Injuries and Form - 2 reasons really but I think they affect each other. Last season the back 5 and pretty much the midfield picked itself for the majority of last season. We were lucky to have a run where not many players, and certainly not key players, were getting injured. This season, it's been horrific. I think this is directly linked to the poor form of players. Fleck in particular but also Norwood's (although he hasn't been injured as far as I know) form has deserted them. I wonder how much Fleck's is linked to the loss of O'Connell, however Norwood has just been inexplicably poor.

3. Recruitment - it pains me to say it but I think we've made several BIG mistakes. Firstly Berge, I'm so disappointed this hasn't worked out. You can see there's a quality player in there, but he just needs to stamp his authority on the game. Sadly, I don't think that's going to happen with us and I can see him moving abroad in the summer. Brewster - this one baffles me a bit. Clearly he's got potential but we needed somebody who was going to score goals for us this season, not next season in the Champ. When we were in League 1, we let DCL go even though he had great potential because we needed to free up some cash to get players that would get us out of that League. I get that and fully agree with the reasons. We couldn't afford to spend so much money on players that are 'ones for the future'. We needed players that were going to secure our prem status this season. No idea what the clubs position is on fees and wages et al but for me we should have been in for players like Callum Wilson or at least some with Prem experience. The drop off from Henderson to Ramsdale is plain to see but I'm not sure how much Wilder could be blamed for that. Perhaps there were better options but it seemed a decent signing at the time.

I also think our 'style' or rather lack of it has been a big factor. Our players are too tempted to hoof it up to McBurnie and that's not how we play, furthermore we're not very good at it. Not McBurnie's fault but I also see this as contributing to the lack of form of some players who aren't seeing the ball enough. Add to this rock bottom belief and confidence and it's quite depressing.
You mention hoof all to McBurnie to which I agree, however against Everton and particularly Burnley with 64% possession stat we were playing intricate passing football but way too slowly.

Thats actually a blessing....the trick is to gradually increase wages....walk before you can run.

Just think if we were paying all our players £50K to 100K a week.....the lockdown with reduced funds would cause financial issues
and relegation would be the disaster of all disasters. We’d be heading for admin....points deductions and league 1 bound.

Also the buying young players with high potential is a well used financial tactic.
We’ve bought top rated YOUNG players who have performed well in the Championship.

The financial risk isn’t as high because they usually retain their resale value....hence ensuring the financial stability future of the club is insured.
Depends how you look at it. I think we could have complimented last year's squad with some experienced Premier League players who could have kept us up comfortably. I'm not talking a massive overhaul on wage structure, just some flexibility to make us competitive with other teams in the division. The increase in expenditure on wages would be offset by lower transfer fees and the prize money available for survival and future seasons in the top flight. It's harder to win promotion back to the Premier League than it is to stay there.

You can't tell me that we wouldn't be a stronger team with the likes of Ben Foster, Troy Deeney etc. on shorter deals to consolidate our position. Not only are these players proven at the top level, they would also provide the type of leadership and experience that our first team is lacking.

It's a risk to spend big on youngsters who have performed well in the Championship and expect them to do the same in the Prem, and a risk that hasn't worked. The nature of our relegation also looks like it's going to be incredibly embarrassing and could cause damage to this squad longer term and break the relationship between players and manager beyond repair. We are now staring at a historically bad season, not a poor season a la Norwich.

The real reason we’re struggling is because we rely on formula, fitness, understanding and unity.

Pre season is massive for us........but it was cut short this Summer with little preparation.

Last season our big strength was defence...we’ve played the same back 5...almost every match for 2 years.
So know there’s no O’Connell.....its upset the balance and understanding.
I think you can add losing Hendo to that as well. Henderson & JoC are massive losses.

1. The dressing down after Leicester away last season. I said at the time, that could go one of two ways, you cannot say your players who were currently 6th in the PL are league 1 and championship players who are playing out of their skin for you. You cannot throw them under the bus and expect them to play for you. The performance wasn't actually that bad, it would have been a "great" performance this season.

^^^ THIS 100%

There has to have been far more to that interview, if it’s being viewed so negatively?

Are people really suggesting that’s a significant contributor to what’s happening now? Seriously?

"Downfall" is not a word I would use, not at all.....Not with the progress that has been made over the last 5 years.
I think Blades are in a very healthy position, with the right ambition to progress as a club and hopefully establish as a top flight club over the next 5 years or so.

An honest football manager, giving an honest opinion, is possibly too much for the modern world.
It possibly was, and possibly / probably slightly unwise.

Was it a significant reason that our team has collapsed, quality wise? Not a fucking chance.

2. One rule for one......lundstrum. He got Duffy out the door for far less, yet lundstrum is always in the team, despite not being very good (although that could be said about a few lately). Duffy has mates at United, what will they think when he did that to the bouncekiller yet allows lundstrum free reign.

3. Mcburnie. He has never been any good, I remember a few on here trying to defend him to the hilt. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a chuffing duck. Sadly sticking by him meant that any football went out of the window and we launched it long, it's completely lost the rhythm of the team. His signings have been shocking in the PL but he laid the marker down with a CF who isn't a good as porter was.

Never been as fed up of fooking football as I am now. Not sure what happens from here. Global thermo nuclear war anyone?

UTB FTP
Agree with all except McBurnie. The bloke is feeding off long balls being lumped up to him. Not saying he's Aguero but he looks decent with the ball played to feet.

add to the list no cover for JOC. Arguably the biggest factor.

It possibly was, and possibly / probably slightly unwise.

Was it the a significant reason that our team has collapsed, quality wise? Not a fucking chance.

Of course not.....
Just like the fact that the injury to JOC isn't the sole reason why this squad currently sits 20th rather than 9th.
(As is shown by the fact that Liverpool/Leicester haven't just collapsed despite having more key players out for longer periods).

It does appear though, that people prefer to look for reasons, or better put 'excuses', rather than accept the fact that currently, this is probably just a fair reflection of where the club is.
The club still has a long way to catch up to be a regular fixture at this level, those 6 years of the last 10 spent in League 1 highlight what the major problem currently is.

You mention hoof all to McBurnie to which I agree, however against Everton and particularly Burnley with 64% possession stat we were playing intricate passing football but way too slowly.

v Everton our possession was 44% and McBurnie played 45 minutes. v Burnley it was 64% and McBurnie didn't play...

Obviously you have to take into account the opposition style of play too, especially as once they were 1-0 up Burnely were happy to sit back and let us have the ball without threatening them too much.

However, countless times I've seen us get the ball in comfortable areas, play negative passes which usually results in either the ball going back to one of the defenders or wing backs under pressure and they play it long or even worse it goes all the way back to Ramsdale who hits it long and invariably we lose it because either he hits it out of play or straight to one of their players. The West Ham winner came exactly as a direct result of this. It happens time and time again.

When putting expert analysis like this can you please provide us with your football CV, which premier league clubs have you managed.

I'm sorry, I didn't realise you need qualifications to post on a public forum about football. Tell you what is all that matters, not what you think, not what I think, but the fact we haven't won all season and have 2 points. Tart by name, tart by nature. But no doubt a bigger blade....

Of course not.....
Just like the fact that the injury to JOC isn't the sole reason why this squad currently sits 20th rather than 9th.
(As is shown by the fact that Liverpool/Leicester haven't just collapsed despite having more key players out for longer periods).

It does appear though, that people prefer to look for reasons, or better put 'excuses', rather than accept the fact that currently, this is probably just a fair reflection of where the club is.
The club still has a long way to catch up to be a regular fixture at this level, those 6 years of the last 10 spent in League 1 highlight what the major problem currently is.

You concentrate on your own team.

However, countless times I've seen us get the ball in comfortable areas, play negative passes which usually results in either the ball going back to one of the defenders or wing backs under pressure and they play it long or even worse it goes all the way back to Ramsdale who hits it long and invariably we lose it because either he hits it out of play or straight to one of their players. The West Ham winner came exactly as a direct result of this. It happens time and time again.
Spot on for me and is the upmost reason we find ourselves where we are. We are the only team in the Premier league that Punts the ball....we are the only team in the Premier league without a win.

Back
Top Bottom