The ‘will you get to watch the match’ torture

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sheff de party

Reaction score
Can’t make the first two home games of the season because we’re away (for the week!) with Mrs SdP’s family. Obviously we’re on Sky today, but they have an immovable tradition of Sunday lunch the first full day.

Some think it’s booked for 12:30, others opine that it’s 1:30. Can I watch it? Will I miss it? The pub doesn’t have Sky. Everyone thinks it’s hilarious, I am on tenterhooks.

Anyone had any other stories of potentially or actually missing big games because of family commitments? Keen to hear about everyone who ditched their daughter’s wedding for a big cup game!

I also left my mate’s stag do in Prague early so I could fly back for the Hull semi final. I was the Best Man and still did it!

Can’t make the first two home games of the season because we’re away (for the week!) with Mrs SdP’s family. Obviously we’re on Sky today, but they have an immovable tradition of Sunday lunch the first full day.

Some think it’s booked for 12:30, others opine that it’s 1:30. Can I watch it? Will I miss it? The pub doesn’t have Sky. Everyone thinks it’s hilarious, I am on tenterhooks.

Anyone had any other stories of potentially or actually missing big games because of family commitments? Keen to hear about everyone who ditched their daughter’s wedding for a big cup game!

I also left my mate’s stag do in Prague early so I could fly back for the Hull semi final. I was the Best Man and still did it!

Cmon man use ur imagination, if you cant think of a half decent excuse to get out of Sunday lunch to watch the Blades first home game in 12 years something is really wrong sir.

You’ve got a lot to learn young padowan!

You also have an immovable tradition of watching Sheff United. So fuck their lunch

If you bow to her family pressures now for an easy life you’ll be expected to do it forever as you never made a stand

I once received one of my mum's infamous letters saying how she felt I was putting football before family too often (it took her how long to notice?) when I missed a wedding to attend a home game at the Lane, not least because I was being interviewed by Andy Pack in the morning for an article in the programme.

You can get a sky sports day pass for about £4 if you look around which means you can watch it on Now TV on your phone. F the immovable Sunday dinner there's a Sunday every week the last time blades were in the Prem was 12 years ago

If you play football and are fantastic, try and get signed by The Mighty Blades so you're on matchday duty. Perfect legitimate excuse.:cool:

England v Cameroon, Italia 90. I was manager of a convenience store and my first day back at work after a holiday fell on that very Sunday. I walked into the office to find a note from my deputy saying, "We have no evening supervisor tonight so you will have to do the shift. I have got an extra member of staff in to cover the tills."

I was straight on the phone to my mate asking him to come into the shop to collect my keys, after which he was then given instructions to go round my flat and bring my telly in. It might have been a shitty black and white but it looked the part in my office.

Then the extra member of staff came in during the day and said, "Adrian, I agreed to work tonight but I had forgotten that it was the England game, so I thought... I'll still work if I can bring my telly in."

"No problem," I replied, "I've already brought mine in."

Hers was a black and white as well, and it fitted perfectly under the counter. Between us we didn't miss a kick. Ever after there was always a black boot mark on the change cupboard door where I'd kicked it in frustration when we went 2-1 down, and when Lineker stuck that equalising penalty away I was at the tills dealing with a voided transaction.

I think where you've gone wrong there is going away with the wife's family in the first place. Over the years there have been many occasions when this has cropped up for me - and I've declined to go. Reason? I couldn't stand to be in their company for more than a few hours. Not that there's anything wrong with them - there's not. They are nice people - but we want different things and I don't expect them to understand that. They wouldn't want to do what I/we do, and I certainly don't want to do what they do. So I'd rather not put myself in a position of disappointing them or falling out with them over it. I'd just avoid it altogether.

I do understand this "tradition" thing though about Sunday lunch. When I first started dating my wife, her family were the same. Sunday lunch was always on the table at 2pm and they expected her to be there for it. It used to f*ck up our Sundays every week, because we'd want to be out walking, cycling, whatever. We didn't want to have to cut that short and dash back to Sheffield just to chew on a bit of Sunday lunch for half an hour. Eventually, and not under any pressure from me, It was my wife that put her foot down. One Sunday she told her family that we had plans and wouldn't be having Sunday lunch with them. Of course, she was made to feel like the Devil incarnate, but she laid the facts bare to them. We're going out for the day, we're not rushing back half way through it just to have lunch. They didn't like it, but that's how it was and that set a precedent. From then on, it got a bit easier, and more acceptable to them, when we weren't planning to be around for Sunday lunch.

In your case I think the best thing is to just be open about it (although it sounds like you've left it a bit late now). I'd just say that it's a really special match today, the first of it's kind in the last 12 years, and you really want to watch it. How about you suggest the family getting together for a "brunch" or "late breakfast" and then having the traditional "Sunday lunch" a bit later, maybe 5 ish. That way they get to have your company twice around a dinner table, rather than just once! How fabulous for them eh? And you get to see the game! :D

Failing that, fake injury and pretend you've gone to the local hospital A&E. But don't forget to tell them to leave you some Sunday lunch plated up for later!

I'd tell em I am watching United and I will be along later in the afternoon to meet up with them. There would be no ifs, buts, or maybes about it.

The line would be that I have come along to the family gathering for the week and have given up being at the Lane today in person, but I'd be damned if I'm gunna not watch em when they are on the box.

Coming from a family of Unitedites, if it was my family there, we would all be watching the game on the box and moving the Sunday dinner to a later slot, so if Utd are attractive enough for my family to do that, then I wouldn't give a rats jiffy if the other half's family thought I was being unreasonable by insisting that I watch the match. I would watch it and be completely unrepentant about doing so.

Last edited:

I'd tell em I am watching United and I will be along later in the afternoon to meet up with them. There would be no ifs, buts, or maybes about it.

The line would be that I have come along to the family gathering for the week and have given up being there in person, but I'd be damned if I'm gunna not watch em when they are on the box.

Coming from a family of Unitedites, if it was my family there, we would all be watching the game on the box and moving the Sunday dinner to a later slot, so if Utd are attractive enough for my family to do that, then I wouldn't give a rats jiffy if the other half's family thought I was being unreasonable by insisting that I watch the match. I would watch it and be completely unrepentant about doing so.

This ^^^^

Life’s too short to not do what you want in life, ok it’s a little bit selfish, but if the family aren’t willing to compromise a bit then don’t go.

They could easily get to the pub for 12 or have a late meal, it’s not like you can ring up United and get the kick off moved ffs!

Failing that, watch it on your phone with headphones in. Next time they will be more likely to meet you half way on this type of stuff.

In Sept 1989 I went to Blackpool for the weekend with my mates but travelled back to Sheffield by train for the 5-4 win against Brighton and then came back by train to rejoin my mates at Blackpool.

My son travelled to mid Wales by car on Friday for a week's holiday but travelled back to Sheffield by train yesterday and stayed over at my house. He will travel back to Wales by train after today's match

Christening today, one of Miss Rodley’s friends, so can’t do the Palarse game. Cheers for moving it SKY as Saturday was free. 🤬🤬

At York Races for the Ebor with work for the following home game.

Miss the third because I’m away for a family wedding.

😭😭😭😭😭

Watch the game then get a pot noodle and a loaf of bread on the way back from the pub, when you’re absolutely bladdered, after you’ve made it make a reyt mess then fall asleep on their setee making sure you piss yourself in your sleep, they’ll never invite you again, problem solved.

Wedding anniversary today (6th) and on holiday in kefalonia (shameless holiday plug I know)
Told my other half to have a nice lie in so that I can frantically google sports bars in the area....
She might not be happy if we accidentally stumble across a bar showing the game live when I have said it's too hot on the beach let's grab a drink?
Wish me luck (or pm me the name of a good solicitor) :oops:

Christening today, one of Miss Rodley’s friends, so can’t do the Palarse game. Cheers for moving it SKY as Saturday was free. 🤬🤬

Miss the third because I’m away for a family wedding.

😭😭😭😭😭
Christenings up there with the very stupidest of pointless religious ceremonies. So you can forget that one.

Horse racing is boring plus it’s a work event. Never ever put work stuff before United. So you can forget that one.

Wedding - yeah you’re screwed with that one 🤣

I'm at work today and of the 12 hours im on shift, I know for a fact I'll be out the office and away from viewing opportunities between 12.30 & 4.

Same.

Although I got back off holiday last night, so I’ll never say a bad word about Sky TV again. 😜

Also Sheff de party I refuse to believe you can’t miss just one of these regular Sunday dinners for today’s game.

Watch the game then get a pot noodle and a loaf of bread on the way back from the pub, when you’re absolutely bladdered, after you’ve made it make a reyt mess then fall asleep on their setee making sure you piss yourself in your sleep, they’ll never invite you again, problem solved.
He's right. Stood me in good stead when I pissed all over the fireplace with the added bonus of breaking her mum's favourite ornament. Brings a smile to my face when recalled. The husband,nice guy that he was ,was an utter door mat. Don't be like Eric😱

Christenings up there with the very stupidest of pointless religious ceremonies. So you can forget that one.

Horse racing is boring plus it’s a work event. Never ever put work stuff before United. So you can forget that one.

Wedding - yeah you’re screwed with that one 🤣
Yeah I’ve already told the missus I’m never going to another Christening. Pointless.

Back
Top Bottom