Team vs Fulham

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

--------------------Ramsdale-------------------------
Baldock----Ampadu---Egan---Lowe--------
----------------Berge----Norwood------------------
Bogel------------------------------------Burke
--------------McBurnie-Brewster----------------

Summat different innit?
He’s just said shape won’t change, so you put a different shape up? God give me strength!

Ramsdale

Baldock (last chance before Bogle gets a game!)
Basham
Egan
Stevens (undeserving but better than Robinson)
Lowe

Lundstram
Norwood
Fleck
(Back to basics, get that rhythm back from last season - Berge on once we’ve got our rhythm)

Brewster
Mcburnie (lets actually get some service into him)

Subs:
Foderingham
Bogle
Ampadu
Berge
Osborn
Burke
Mcgoldrick
Lundstram over Berge, I want what you're on

Based on the players Wales have available for the upcoming internationals, unless Giggs unexpectedly switches to 3 at the back (which he hasn’t gone with for quite some time now), I’m expecting Ampadu to get quite a few minutes in midfield in these games. Could be good preparation for heading into our midfield for the Fulham game should we want to try it...

Like this evening, which should be a good test. If his options for starting are going to be restricted to when Egan & Basham aren’t available, and if it’s felt that Norwood isn’t mobile enough to continue as first choice, I’d like to see Ampadu tried in midfield as the sitting role (with Berge back to the right), or at RCM.

If the Fulham match isn’t one crying out for a more positive and attacking approach then I don’t know what is .

A back four plus a holding midfielder should be more than enough to handle their attack whilst providing us with opportunity to play a creative player behind the two strikers , a shortcoming which has been glaringly obvious for a long time now .

With regard to the individuals who should play in such a format , there are various permutations and everyone will have their own thoughts . For what it’s worth , mine would be as follows and have every confidence that it is certainly good enough to get us the points we desperately need .

......................Ramsdale ...................
Baldock Basham Egan. Stevens

..... Berge. Norwood. Fleck

...... McG

Sharp ............Brewster

Last edited:
Ramsdale
Baldock - Basham - Egan - Ampadu - Lowe
Berge - Norwood - Fleck
McGoldrick - Brewster

Ramsdale - Ampadu, Egan, Basham - Lowe, Norwood, Berge, Baldock - McGoldrick/Fleck - McBurnie, Brewster

If the Fulham match isn’t one crying out for a more positive and attacking approach then I don’t know what is .

A back four plus a holding midfielder should be more than enough to handle their attack whilst providing us with opportunity to play a creative player behind the two strikers , a shortcoming which has been glaringly obvious for a long time now .

With regard to the individuals who should play in such a format , there are various permutations and everyone will have their own thoughts . For what it’s worth , mine would be as follows and have every confidence that it is certainly good enough to get us the points we desperately need .

......................Ramsdale ...................
Baldock Basham Egan. Stevens

..... Berge. Norwood. Fleck

...... McG

Sharp ............Brewster
Take Norwood out and add either Lowe or Robbo to cover the left side in a 3:4:1;2 and I’d go with that against Fulham.

Wilder won’t !!

UTB

ramsdale/baldock-basham-ampadou-stevens-lowe/norwood-berge-osborne/brewster-mcburnie as it looks egan,burke,fleck and mcgoldrick could be unavailable, still another international coming up, fingers crossed , not ideal for a crunch early season game.

ramsdale/baldock-basham-ampadou-stevens-lowe/norwood-berge-osborne/brewster-mcburnie as it looks egan,burke,fleck and mcgoldrick could be unavailable, still another international coming up, fingers crossed , not ideal for a crunch early season game.
Egan and McGoldrick look like definitely unavailable, Burke and Fleck I think will be ok tho

Given Fulham’s front line will be led by the effective but slow lump that is Mitrovic, would this actually be one for Jagielka to be preferred in the middle? I know Ampadu is ordinarily the go-to first option as a replacement, but aerially I’m not sure he’ll be able to compete with Mitrovic.

I’ve just reread the above and I’m not actually sure I’m convinced by my own argument...

God I feel physically ill when I think about this game + our injuries, 6 pointer or what

We could go for a novelty A's and B's theme:

Aaron
Baldock / Bash / Bryan / Bogle
Berge / Ampadu / Brookes
Burke / 'Burnie / Brewster

(Billy and Bloody-Lundstrum on the bench).

Admittedly this line up needs a right back to play left back, signing Brookes and playing Keanan Bryan (the latter of which makes it most unlikely). However, this does align with CWAK's penchant for players early in the alphabet.

Saying Egan, JOC, Fleck, Burke, McGoldrick and Mousset are out this would be my 11 as it stands now. (We can't really pick any of them 6 if we don't know how they are)

Ramsdale

Basham - Ampadu - Stevens

Baldock - Norwood - Berge - Osborn - Lowe

Brewster - McBurnie

Subs;
Foderingham
Robinson
Bogle
New signing
Rodwell
Lundstram
Sharp

Given Fulham’s front line will be led by the effective but slow lump that is Mitrovic, would this actually be one for Jagielka to be preferred in the middle? I know Ampadu is ordinarily the go-to first option as a replacement, but aerially I’m not sure he’ll be able to compete with Mitrovic.

I’ve just reread the above and I’m not actually sure I’m convinced by my own argument...
Just make sure you suggest something you know CW won’t do, that way you can never be proven wrong and you can always take the view that we’d have won if CW had done what you suggested.

Let's take the handbreak off (as Wilder often used to say) and go at it FFS.
I agree, but it's not just that. When Pepe drove into the box Egan backed off him. If that had been last season he would have put in a tackle without fear. Mindsets have changed and need to reset fast or we'll be in real trouble.

Saying Egan, JOC, Fleck, Burke, McGoldrick and Mousset are out this would be my 11 as it stands now. (We can't really pick any of them 6 if we don't know how they are)

Ramsdale

Basham - Ampadu - Stevens

Baldock - Norwood - Berge - Osborn - Lowe

Brewster - McBurnie

Subs;
Foderingham
Robinson
Bogle
New signing
Rodwell
Lundstram
Sharp
Not the team I'd pick but if three right-backs worked for England against Belgium, three left-backs might just work for Dem Blades.

Ramsdale
Baldock, Basham, Ampadu, Stevens in a back 4
Norwood and Lunny sitting with Lunny having the licence to do what he wants.
Berge and Osborn infront
Brewdog and McBurnie up top

A few tweaks to the formation can be done with this team but this is the personnel I’d like to get in the pitch, with the players available for the Fulham game. If Fleck is fit then he must start in place of Osborn.

Let them worry about us ffs.

While not wanting to diminish Stevens’s stints at LCB where he started in the Championship, I think people need to remember that this was the Championship, and Stevens was a confident player in form. That’s very different to sticking him, a player going through a rough patch, in a position clearly more difficult than his current one, up against a much better quality of forward.

Let’s also remember that there were errors in his stints at centre-back. Notably vs Bristol City after JOC went off, but he also threw away two points at WBA when misjudging a simple ball forward in the dying minutes (Henderson made a superb block off Montero), and that had come in a game he’d been otherwise excellent in. Robinson gets way way too much grief off folk in my opinion, and the idea that Stevens would just slot in there and make things instantly better doesn’t seem clear to me. If anything he might benefit from some time out of the team.

While not wanting to diminish Stevens’s stints at LCB where he started in the Championship, I think people need to remember that this was the Championship, and Stevens was a confident player in form. That’s very different to sticking him, a player going through a rough patch, in a position clearly more difficult than his current one, up against a much better quality of forward.

Let’s also remember that there were errors in his stints at centre-back. Notably vs Bristol City after JOC went off, but he also threw away two points at WBA when misjudging a simple ball forward in the dying minutes (Henderson made a superb block off Montero), and that had come in a game he’d been otherwise excellent in. Robinson gets way way too much grief off folk in my opinion, and the idea that Stevens would just slot in there and make things instantly better doesn’t seem clear to me. If anything he might benefit from some time out of the team.
I’ve been trying to remember who that game was against when he made a really bad error, Bristol it is. He looked like a fish out of water that game.

He isn’t a long term option for me, I’m not sure Wilder will go for it either.

Let’s also remember that there were errors in his stints at centre-back. Notably vs Bristol City after JOC went off, but he also threw away two points at WBA when misjudging a simple ball forward in the dying minutes (Henderson made a superb block off Montero), and that had come in a game he’d been otherwise excellent in

We won at WBA 0-1.

I'm really tempted to say, let's just start Bogle & Lowe.

Baldock's been OK, always solid defensively, but output at the top of the field has always lacked.
Stevens desperately needs a rest. I doubt going away on international duty has helped with that.

Let's spice things up a bit and attack a match for a change.
We need to start finding goals from somewhere. We know our midfield personnel struggle to create chances. So let's try our new wing backs out.

I'm really tempted to say, let's just start Bogle & Lowe.

Baldock's been OK, always solid defensively, but output at the top of the field has always lacked.
Stevens desperately needs a rest. I doubt going away on international duty has helped with that.

Let's spice things up a bit and attack a match for a change.
We need to start finding goals from somewhere. We know our midfield personnel struggle to create chances. So let's try our new wing backs out.

The problem we’re facing here, alongside the fact it’s a hugely important game, is that we know what happens when we change too much of the team in one go – it looks disjointed, loses organisation and ideas. We know JOC is out. Egan, McGoldrick, Burke too likely. If we have 4 of the 5 defenders not the established first choice players then I’m concerned that will immediately cause some issues. We’ll probably also have to have a completely new front two pairing.

I’d be looking to start a maximum of 3 that are still learning our system. That’s probably Ampadu for Egan, one of the new wingbacks, and Brewster.

Neither full back or centre back has pushed on in the previous four matches, we have subsequently not created any overloads and therefore a minimum number of chances. The only time we have really got at a team was the last ten against Arsenal when we looked like the team from the last two seasons.
There is not a lot wrong other than confidence

The problem we’re facing here, alongside the fact it’s a hugely important game, is that we know what happens when we change too much of the team in one go – it looks disjointed, loses organisation and ideas. We know JOC is out. Egan, McGoldrick, Burke too likely. If we have 4 of the 5 defenders not the established first choice players then I’m concerned that will immediately cause some issues. We’ll probably also have to have a completely new front two pairing.

I’d be looking to start a maximum of 3 that are still learning our system. That’s probably Ampadu for Egan, one of the new wingbacks, and Brewster.

I've said exactly this in previous posts. But I'm flip flopping.

Whilst I take your point, I think the team and system looks devoid of ideas & output. Which is why I think the personnel needs freshening up a bit. Maybe they'll offer something new & give us some new ideas.

There's definitely an argument to say, "don't over analyse it, stick to your principles" as Wilder has alluded to. But at some point in time you need to analyse it & adapt. We're 0 from 7 now & only 1 goal scored in those matches. Now's the time.

Back
Top Bottom