Team v Chelsea

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I am not saying we'll win Saturday but for 1st time in years we have a chance, Chelsea in transition I think McBurnie deserves a start after goal Saturday. They've had a slapped bum off CW and that will hurt them so could be fired up Moose has to start sometime and Besic CW knows what he's doing, I do understand the feelings for Billy & Didzy though it is a nice dilemma to have for us.

He set up the goal. So by fact he is the part of the reason we actually beat Palace.
It's a fact that he played a key role in that win, but you said if it wasn't for Freeman we wouldn't have beaten Palace, which has no fact behind it whatsoever as there's no way of knowing how the game would have panned out if he wasn't involved.

I think the established pairs that work are
Bill and McG
Bill and Robbo
Bill and McB

Ones that would also work well
Robbo and McB
McG and McB
Moose and anyone but Bill I imagine.

Ones that don't really work
McG and Robbo

It's similar to the beginning of last season, in Preseason McGoldrick and Sharp were great, but at the start of the season Wilder went with Clarke and McG, and it just didn't work.

Eventually we got the right balance. I think Wilder will have seen enough in the last few to know he needs someone more dynamic up top from now on.
mcg and robbo doesn't work because they aren’t natural CF’s ;) mcB has to start for me
we usually win after we’ve lost .. we have great ‘bouncebackability’ i think we can win this :)

Dont think this will be the team vs Chelsea, but wouldn't mind seeing it at some point even though it means reverting to two CB's....

Reasons:

1) Gives Norwood cover for when he gets put under pressure
2) Helps bridge the gap between defence and midfield and hold a higher line.
3) Could Besic play the overlapping role of Basham? Theoretically don't see why not
4) Sharp and Mcburnie for the obvious reasons.

1566832353069.png

- - - - - - - - - - - Henderson

- - - - - -Basham - Egan - O'Connell

Baldock - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Stevens
- - - - - - - - - - - - Norwood
- - - - Lundstram - - - - - - - -Freeman

- - - - - - - - - - - -McGoldrick

- - - - - - - - - - - - McBurnie

Subs: Moore, Jagielka, Osborn, Besic, Ravel, Robinson, Sharp

Any arguments?

The only one I'd consider is Besic for Lundstram. Maybe Fleck for McGoldrick if he's fit.
Robinson for Mcgoldrick. Will need some pace

Dont think this will be the team vs Chelsea, but wouldn't mind seeing it at some point even though it means reverting to two CB's....

Reasons:

1) Gives Norwood cover for when he gets put under pressure
2) Helps bridge the gap between defence and midfield and hold a higher line.
3) Could Besic play the overlapping role of Basham? Theoretically don't see why not
4) Sharp and Mcburnie for the obvious reasons.

View attachment 60400
Against sides with no height upfront possibly (so your City’s, Liverpool’s) But he’s 5’9. He’s not a long term option at centre back.

I am not saying we'll win Saturday but for 1st time in years we have a chance, Chelsea in transition I think McBurnie deserves a start after goal Saturday. They've had a slapped bum off CW and that will hurt them so could be fired up Moose has to start sometime and Besic CW knows what he's doing, I do understand the feelings for Billy & Didzy though it is a nice dilemma to have for us.

Definitely. Losing on Saturday may be a blessing in disguise as it could end up fuelling the fire to give us one of the most memorable away trips we’ve ever had.

When Chris reacts like he did he usually gets a response. And this is a Chelsea side that can really be troubled, as Norwich showed.

How incredibly ironic
“Oooh a few people have been complaining about a couple the lads performances recently, that must mean they want them all dropped/sold/shot/burned alive” delete as appropriate

Childish viewpoint. This is a cutthroat division, we have a cutthroat manager as the released list in the summer and his interview post match showed. Get with it

gks Hendo Moore Verrips Dewhurst Jagielka

def Baldock Bash Egan JOC Stevens

mid play a flat 0

McBurnie

Moore and Dewhurst overlapping

although my tactical genius is often overlooked on fm19

so i'll prob go with

Hendo

Baldock Jags Egan JOC Stevens

Norwood

Lunny - Fleck if fit/or Besic

Sharp Mcburnie

Last edited:
“Oooh a few people have been complaining about a couple the lads performances recently, that must mean they want them all dropped/sold/shot/burned alive” delete as appropriate

Childish viewpoint. This is a cutthroat division, we have a cutthroat manager as the released list in the summer and his interview post match showed. Get with it
A cutthroat manager who rates Basham more than Cranie as well.

I’m taking the piss, no need for any aggression.

It will all depend where we see they’re most vulnerable defensively.
If we see them being weaker to the overlap, with players who are lazy or don’t track back well then the back line will remain.
Our philosophy is to have a go, so by pulling Bash we lose the effectiveness of our overloads in wide areas. We won’t have as much of the ball so will have to take advantage when we can.
They are strong through the middle so could see us going less attacking in midfield, with Fleck coming back in if fit.

Will then depend how Besic does tomorrow...can he push out Lunny?
His tackling ability and better ability to keep the ball could be a useful tactic against a side like Chelsea

- - - - - - - - - - - Henderson

- - - - - -Basham - Egan - O'Connell

Baldock - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Stevens

- - - ------- Besic - - - - - - - -Fleck

- - - - - - - - - - - -Freeman

- - - - - - - - -Sharp - - - McBurnie

I'd be happy with that, but wouldn't mind persevering with Robbo up top alongside McB... we need that threat in behind and on the break away from home for me whoever plays.. Could even see CW sticking with Robbo and McG, but Oli will hold the ball up better and work his nuts off.

What threat behind? Robbo has yet to show he can break away from a defence. Against Bournemouth he continually got out run on the ball chases, despite often having a head start.

What threat behind? Robbo has yet to show he can break away from a defence. Against Bournemouth he continually got out run on the ball chases, despite often having a head start.
I wouldn't call him slow,and I would say he is capable of getting past and beyond defenders...didn't have a great game Saturday to be fair.

I wouldn't call him slow,and I would say he is capable of getting past and beyond defenders...didn't have a great game Saturday to be fair.

Not slow at all, but certainly not that burst of pace we thought we were signing.

Usually come back well from a defeat especially a home defeat, it wouldn't shock me if we pull something off at Chelsea

Usually come back well from a defeat especially a home defeat, it wouldn't shock me if we pull something off at Chelsea
I think it’s one game where we’d be sensible to keep players behind the ball and look to counter attack. If they can’t open us up it’s likely that Fat Frank will make an attacking substitution, quite possibly the wrong one, which might allow us to open them up. Norwich looked great on the attack against them but got nowt from the game. I’d rather we looked shit and came away with at least a point.
Then have a real go against Southampton.

It will all depend where we see they’re most vulnerable defensively.
If we see them being weaker to the overlap, with players who are lazy or don’t track back well then the back line will remain.
Our philosophy is to have a go, so by pulling Bash we lose the effectiveness of our overloads in wide areas. We won’t have as much of the ball so will have to take advantage when we can.
They are strong through the middle so could see us going less attacking in midfield, with Fleck coming back in if fit.

Will then depend how Besic does tomorrow...can he push out Lunny?
His tackling ability and better ability to keep the ball could be a useful tactic against a side like Chelsea
Grizzly I think Besic is more likely to push out Norwood on current form. Lunny has been one of our best players and Besic might have a bit more bite than Norwood away from home when we will be lucky to have 40% of the possession.

Grizzly I think Besic is more likely to push out Norwood on current form. Lunny has been one of our best players and Besic might have a bit more bite than Norwood away from home when we will be lucky to have 40% of the possession.

I don’t see it happening, Norwood has the odd off day, but his long passing particularly cross field is generally very accurate. Plus his set pieces are another string to his bow.
I would see is more likely to adapt tactics to have Norwood sit deeper and have Besic and Fleck doing the box to box role.
Will see how he goes, but being Eastern European and an international suggest he will be good on the ball. (They nearly all are) And though Lunny has done well there are weaknesses to his game that will pop up as he drops a bit of form.
Lunny sand the rest have to keep their levels and standards high to keep the rest out of the side.

Another example is Freeman, his job now is to keep Fleck out.

I think it’s one game where we’d be sensible to keep players behind the ball and look to counter attack. If they can’t open us up it’s likely that Fat Frank will make an attacking substitution, quite possibly the wrong one, which might allow us to open them up. Norwich looked great on the attack against them but got nowt from the game. I’d rather we looked shit and came away with at least a point.
Then have a real go against Southampton.
Yes, cannot disagree, we have something about us where I always feel we could get something out of every game, not in an arrogant way because we all know we will probably get turned over by someone and not necessarily one of the big six but it's nice to go into a game at this level and not be overawed.

Get Mousset on the bench.

Verrips

Osborn
Freeman K

Jags
Stearman
Bryan

Besic
Woodford
Hammond

Sammon
Cadette.

Back
Top Bottom