Team for Villa

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

blade67

Reaction score
After the Burnley game it seems that CWAK actually have some tough decisions.

In previous seasons cup performances have tended to confirm that the 1st team will keep their places. After last night I'd say that's a little different

GK - Ramsdale probably still pretty confident of the shirt

FB - Both Baldock and especially Stevens should be feeling the pressure, but will probably start

CB - Our regular 3 will start I guess, but both Ampadu and Robinson may play more this season. I'm thinking Robinson might put pressure on Egan when we need pace rather than JOC, who will remain 1st choice if fit.

CM - Osborn seems stronger every time I see him play, would be ahead of Lunny for me but you can see Norwood-Berge-Fleck being in the starting 11

CF - Didzy-McBurnie is probably the first choice pairing after last night but I was impressed by my first sight of Burke. We definitely need something different/special brought in

Ramsdale
Baldock - Basham - Egan - JOC - Stevens
Norwood - Berge - Fleck
Didzy - McBurnie

So in my guess, only 1 of our summer recruits starts, and 8 of the starters were regulars in the Championship, however I expect we will see that change as the season progresses for once

In previous seasons cup performances have tended to confirm that the 1st team will keep their places. After last night I'd say that's a little different

FB - Both Baldock and especially Stevens should be feeling the pressure, but will probably start

CB - Our regular 3 will start I guess, but both Ampadu and Robinson may play more this season. I'm thinking Robinson might put pressure on Egan when we need pace rather than JOC, who will remain 1st choice if fit.

CM - Osborn seems stronger every time I see him play, would be ahead of Lunny for me but you can see Norwood-Berge-Fleck being in the starting 11

CF - Didzy-McBurnie is probably the first choice pairing after last night but I was impressed by my first sight of Burke. We definitely need something different/special brought in

Ramsdale
Norwood - Berge - Fleck
Didzy - McBurnie

So in my guess, only 1 of our summer recruits starts, and 8 of the starters were regulars in the Championship, however I expect we will see that change as the season progresses for once

I'd go with this, but with Berge on the right and Norwood in his usual central role. I know this isn't Berge's 'natural position', but I thought he looked very good there post lock down. I suspect last night was just an experiment to see how it looked.

I think the centre mid is Berge's position and was always the case, he just played the right side to get used to playing. Norwood is too slow and predictable. Berge can move up the pitch with the ball Breaking through the oppo line's '
The difference in the prem is pace, strength and speed of thought /movement. Playing against wolves everything was played to feet which is good if it's fast but then when we had finished with tippy tap it was booted up field for Sharp and McB to battle for and look at the criticism they got for it.
Some good reports on here for Burke paying through balls along with speed, strength and we might have someone who can play the rcm.
Having a slow player in Norwood also affects Flecks play as it stops him going forward with the ball.
Watching the wolves game was frustrating, listening to the feedback on the new players last night gives ground for optimism that we have players to come in who will improve us which is what has happened every window

Just me that believes Sharp would be better alongside someone else then ?

UTB

No, not just you.

Billy in for McBurnie. We need to stop 'going long' and get back to playing some passing football with the 'triangles' we were so successful with. The longer game we've been toying with is not going to keep us up this season as McBurnie isn't technically good enough to hold the ball and bring others into play with the consistency we need. He has no confidence in front of goal and, quite frankly, I'm sick of watching him play with his head down. He's a sub until the end of this season when, hopefully, he'll either liven up or be moved on.

We need a new striker in or we're fucked. The confidence will drain away with this guy playing like he is.

UTB

No, not just you.

Billy in for McBurnie. We need to stop 'going long' and get back to playing some passing football with the 'triangles' we were so successful with. The longer game we've been toying with is not going to keep us up this season as McBurnie isn't technically good enough to hold the ball and bring others into play with the consistency we need. He has no confidence in front of goal and, quite frankly, I'm sick of watching him play with his head down. He's a sub until the end of this season when, hopefully, he'll either liven up or be moved on.

We need a new striker in or we're fucked. The confidence will drain away with this guy playing like he is.

UTB
He has had NO time alongside Dids which I find amazing tbh.

Accept that as things stand, our best pairing is Dids and good Moose but that ain’t an option right now !!

McB needs a bit of bench time. However, price tags will almost certainly dictate the gaffers thinking.

Shame !!

UTB

I expect him to go with the usual, albeit Berge and Norwood may start interchanging (which would be a very clever way of countering those teams who press the latter out of the game).

Ramsdale
Basham - Egan - O'Connell
Baldock - Berge - Norwood - Fleck - Stevens
McGoldrick - McBurnie

I expect him to go with the usual, albeit Berge and Norwood may start interchanging (which would be a very clever way of countering those teams who press the latter out of the game).

Ramsdale
McGoldrick - McBurnie
I think you are right about Berge&Norwood. They will effectively switch as needed in games which I think is very clever if they do that.

Would hope to see more of Burke. Good pace and good with the ball. I actually can see Berge drop into Norwoods role, and Burke playing RCM if we are behind. Think we should start like we did against Wolves, just with Berge over Lundstram, and focus on not doing two mistakes in the first 10 minutes!

Ramsdale
Basham - Egan - JOC
Bogle - Berge - Osborne - Fleck - Lowe
Burke - McBurnie

Love to see that lineup given a go. However I'm slightly biased as I adore Osborne, he never stops running and can put in a good tackle too

Ramsdale
Lowe*
O'Connell
Egan
Basham
Baldock
Fleck
Berge
Lundstram **
McGoldrick
Burke

* Stevens was inconsistent after lockdown and was poor against Wolves. For me Lowe gets the shirt.

** I'm expecting Norwood to get the shirt as he played well in the wide position last night, but for me Lundstram is the only midfielder willing to run with the ball and have a shot from distance.

I'll go with:

Ramsdale
Baldock - Norwood/Lundstram - Berge - Fleck - Lowe
McGoldrick - Burke
He'll actually go with:
Ramsdale
McGoldrick - McBurnie​
I like that first team, but I tend to agree we are more likely to star with the second team listed. I’m sure Wilder will have learned a lot from the end of last season and the start of this. He may be a bit stubborn and reluctant to be more adventurous, given his recent experiences?
I hope so any way.

Berge has to come in at the minute I’d play McGoldrick and Mcburnie possibly even swap Lowe for Stevens and I’d consider Ampadu for Norwood if his crossings like it was agains Wolves and bring Ramsdale, Egan Basham, JoC, Baldock back in of course

That’d be sound if we were hoping for 0-0.

Considering a lot of our goals come from midfield because our strikers cant score it probably makes more sense.

Berge has got to play in the centre its his best position by miles he excelled in that position in pre-season. Just watching the training from yesterday and Berge scored a cracking goal he is going to be player of the year this season easy.

Considering a lot of our goals come from midfield because our strikers cant score it probably makes more sense.

Berge has got to play in the centre its his best position by miles he excelled in that position in pre-season. Just watching the training from yesterday and Berge scored a cracking goal he is going to be player of the year this season easy.

If we were going for that sort of line up though, McGoldrick would serve no purpose. He links midfield and attack, but if he is the attack, his main attribute is redundant. He has no end product in that he doesn’t score and doesn’t assist. We’d need an actual striker playing with that sort of set up.

Just me that believes Sharp would be better alongside someone else then ?

UTB

I wouldn't be against Didz & Sharp up top together, but for that to work we need to keep the ball far better, and higher up the pitch, than we did against Wolves in the 1st half.

I want Berge in the middle, Norwood has looked off the pace and would benefit from having to fight his way back in. He’s been the most culpable in my opinion for losing the ball and maybe just needs some more focus.

Plus I feel Berge offers more of a presence in there.
May be a change of set up coming...Berge and Norwood in the middle, Fleck roaming similar to Duff.
More creativity, and if McG is one of the starters has options to switch.
I would like to see a McB and Burke starting line up...see how that works But would have liked the crappy cup as a testing ground!
Oh well.

Ramsdale
Norwood - Berge - Fleck
Didzy - McBurnie

Robinson plays on the left and would never be selected ahead of Egan in the centre. Osborn is completely left sided and would never be chosen to play in Lunny’s position on the right.
Have you been watching the Blades in a mirror?

Robinson plays on the left and would never be selected ahead of Egan in the centre. Osborn is completely left sided and would never be chosen to play in Lunny’s position on the right.
Have you been watching the Blades in a mirror?

That’s beside the fact, Robinson isn’t good enough to be a starter, regardless of what side he plays on. If we have to rely on him in many games, we’ll struggle.

Ramsdale
Basham. Egan. JOC
Baldock. Lowe
Norwood
Berge. Fleck
Didsy Mcburnie

Berge has looked like our best player last few times I’ve seen him.
Didsy has to be in team for us to look like scoring
Stevens has been poor for a while and Lowe looked quality other night, looked like he had a better final ball than Stevens.
Also expect Ampadu to be in team soon if Either Bash Fleck or Norwood go on a poor run of form

Back
Top Bottom