Team for Sunday's game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

But he doesn't win us free kicks, most of the time he falls over and then gets up, arms splayed asking why the Ref hasn't given the decision. Granted though if one of the chances we created against West Brom fell to Sharp he might well have scored.

Like i said, whilst ever plan A is hoofball he will not drop McBurnie....at least if we do get relegated we will have won the headers...!
Ok,the next time he plays,if he ever plays again just take note of how many free kicks sharp wins.
I don’t blame Mcburnie for missing more chances this season than all the Arsenal team put together because he’s well and truly out of his depth and I wish him well in the future However Wilder is flogging a dead horse Selecting him.

Genuine question as whenever Sharp is in the side everyone is screaming that he's not good enough....can't hold the ball up, too slow, falls over etc, etc.

But he doesn't win us free kicks, most of the time he falls over and then gets up, arms splayed asking why the Ref hasn't given the decision.
Watch the extended highlights v Wolves, none of the things you describe were true and he did win at least one free kick (on film). McBurnie doing exactly what you describe infuriated me in the West Brom game.
If you are to pick faults with Sharp's game they would be; can't beat a man, can't create his own chances. I'm seriously struggling with any real issues and yet the majority on here just casually flip him off as history. He was sidelined at the end of the promotion season too when Madine, Hogan, Washington were all played before Sharp, I can write that off as Wilder wanting to see if any of these were worth coughing a few quid up for but right now not playing the best striker at the club is harming the value of the club (which is what it will finally come down to).

The whole of his body language show where he’s at.
Another one who is influenced by his agent he’s come a long way since CW took him under his wing
All forgot by him now
His body language is exactly the same as last season. What his agent does is irrelevant to what happens on the pitch.
Who says he has forgotten what has happened over the last few years ? CW has praised his attitude .Is CW lying ?

In terms of team selection, he has performed better than Norwood this season so he should be ahead of him in terms of selection.

Backpass Berge is the bad apple in the barrel, individual,lethargic,not direct,animated and goes through the motions and crap in the air! Drop him and give Fleck and Norwood freedom in the midfield! Pace up frontBrewster and Moose with McBurnie! Team would be :
Verrips
Egan Basham Stevens
Baldock Norwood Fleck Osborne
Moose McBurnie Brewster

😉😉😉😉😉

Leicester last night struggled so much to create and get vardy into the game. They also struggled against pace upfront on the counter attack so i think it has to be Burke with either Brewster or Mousset

But he doesn't win us free kicks, most of the time he falls over and then gets up, arms splayed asking why the Ref hasn't given the decision. Granted though if one of the chances we created against West Brom fell to Sharp he might well have scored.

Like i said, whilst ever plan A is hoofball he will not drop McBurnie....at least if we do get relegated we will have won the headers...!

“at least if we do get relegated we will have won the headers”.

You be one of those that bellows applause out when our CF wins a header that goes straight to the oppos feet then ??

Christonabike!!!!

UTB

You be one of those that bellows applause out when our CF wins a header that goes straight to the oppos feet then ??
Exactly my point about that stat, it's no good getting your head on it unless it's productive ie going to one of our players, being an attempt on goal or winning a freekick, corner, throw in.

Right, I don't normally get involved in these type of discussions, but here goes:

Verrips
Basham, Egan, Bryan
Baldock, Burke
Rodwell, Berge, Fleck
McGoldrick
Brewster

Subs:
Ramsdale
Jags
Ampadu
Robinson
Osborne
Mousset
Gaxha or Hackford

I'd player Burke and Brewster/Mousset. Play the ball through midfield instead of lumping it upfront

100% this. The main issue with McBurnie isn't his finishing (which will come back), but the way it makes us play when he's up top. He is a decent sub to turn to if we need to go long in the last 25 minutes of a game.

Right, I don't normally get involved in these type of discussions, but here goes:

Verrips
Basham, Egan, Bryan
Baldock, Burke
Rodwell, Berge, Fleck
McGoldrick
Brewster

Subs:
Ramsdale
Jags
Ampadu
Robinson
Osborne
Mousset
Gaxha or Hackford
Thank god you don't normally get involved

100% this. The main issue with McBurnie isn't his finishing (which will come back), but the way it makes us play when he's up top. He is a decent sub to turn to if we need to go long in the last 25 minutes of a game.
I'd also tell Ramsdale to stop panicking when the ball comes to his feet and play a pass rather than hitting it upfront and expecting someone to be on the end of it. same goes to the CB's

What's the obsession with dropping Baldock for someone who's; untested & was at a similar level to Lowe who's been slated after every game he's played for us?

What's the obsession with dropping Baldock for someone who's; untested & was at a similar level to Lowe who's been slated after every game he's played for us?
Because hes not up to standard in the final 3rd as he's wasted multiple chances and fans want to see Bogle get a game

Ramsdale
Baldock Basham Egan Bryan Stevens
Berge Norwood Fleck
Moose. Brewster

Can't understand why there are suggested line-ups including Bogle, the lad hasn't even made the bench yet....strange.......and George Baldock looks about the only one who is putting in maximum effort at the moment. Bogle's mate Lowe is only getting a game because of the left sided injury crisis but exactly what Ben Osborn has done wrong is beyond me, unless it is a height thing??

If he is fit then Ampadu has to come back at LCB otherwise as much as it pains me to say it Robinson is a marginally better bet than Bryan.

Norwood showed just why he frustrates the fans so much.....out of the side we want him back for his ping, in the side he can't tackle or beat the first man.....time for him to move on I'm afraid. As disappointed as I am with his attitude we have to play Lunny at the moment, we have no real alternative unless we try Burke at RCM?

And he won't drop McBurnie whilst ever plan A is Hoofball........

The height (or set piece marking) thing is an argument that fans conveniently neglect.

It's been a requirement that our centre halves contribute to our attacking play. So we've brought in players who are decent on the ball, versatile, have experience in midfield or at full back and they've had to be good athletes. Apart from Ebanks Landell, Jake Wright, Stearman, Egan and Jags, who've been signed for the central role, we haven't prioritised defensive attributes - height, strength, bravery and positioning. Basham's tall, and fortunately never injured, but not the strongest. JOC is now unavailable, leaving Robinson, Bryan and Stevens as left footed alternatives for LCB.

They're all small for centre backs and it's tough for them to mark players who are often 2 or 3 inches taller. This means we need more players to contribute when we defend set pieces.

At full back we have no giants, but Baldock, Stevens and Lowe have been asked to do marking jobs on opponents with average height. I think Osborn is considered too small to man mark, and it's part of the reason he's been omitted lately.

Fleck is of similar stature, and Norwood slighter and not much taller. Berge has got the height, but he's not good in the air. We're now asking him to do a first post zone job to make some use of his height, while avoiding man marking duties which requires competing for the ball. You rarely see Lundstram leap above players, but he's got some height and is quite strong, so will also be used to mark. Ampadu gives us a good marker for a midfielder.

Among the forwards we have two players who are strong in the air. McBurnie attacks the ball well, and clears a lot of balls from the biggest danger zone in front of goal. It's helped us cope. A lot of fans are fed up of him not scoring, but Wilder can't set us up in a way that leaves us too vulnerable at set pieces. We also need some threat of our own, and Egan and McBurnie are almost the only ones we have that are likely to get their head on one of our set pieces. McGoldrick is also decent in the air. Burke is a six footer who's also got a good leap, but I've not seen him getting on the end of defensive or attacking set pieces so far.

I'd like us to be a robust and strong side. While accepting that our back three is not going to be hugely physical (in the near fuuture) I think we must make sure we have some physicality in midfield and up front. One midfielder and one forward to help the back three may suffice against a lot of teams. My preferred midfield at the moment is:

Berge - Ampadu - Fleck

Lundstram can be an option. Osborn's got the work rate, but until Stevens is back he may have a chance at LWB, providing we're otherwise able to cope physically.

Up front we probably have to include one of McBurnie or McGoldrick. I also think the power (and running and pressing) of Burke is very much needed at the moment.

“at least if we do get relegated we will have won the headers”.

Christonabike!!!!

UTB

You didn't get the irony then Dronnie....

His body language is exactly the same as last season. What his agent does is irrelevant to what happens on the pitch.
Who says he has forgotten what has happened over the last few years ? CW has praised his attitude .Is CW lying ?

In terms of team selection, he has performed better than Norwood this season so he should be ahead of him in terms of selection.
Doesn’t take much to be ahead of Norwood

Leicester last night struggled so much to create and get vardy into the game. They also struggled against pace upfront on the counter attack so i think it has to be Burke with either Brewster or Mousset

Well I would imagine CWAK would have watched this one and took notes hopefully they are what most of us are thinking.

The Shirecliffe videos will be interesting to watch this week - mood in the camp.

I just prey Southgate isnt at the match. :)

The height (or set piece marking) thing is an argument that fans conveniently neglect.

It's been a requirement that our centre halves contribute to our attacking play. So we've brought in players who are decent on the ball, versatile, have experience in midfield or at full back and they've had to be good athletes. Apart from Ebanks Landell, Jake Wright, Stearman, Egan and Jags, who've been signed for the central role, we haven't prioritised defensive attributes - height, strength, bravery and positioning. Basham's tall, and fortunately never injured, but not the strongest. JOC is now unavailable, leaving Robinson, Bryan and Stevens as left footed alternatives for LCB.

They're all small for centre backs and it's tough for them to mark players who are often 2 or 3 inches taller. This means we need more players to contribute when we defend set pieces.

At full back we have no giants, but Baldock, Stevens and Lowe have been asked to do marking jobs on opponents with average height. I think Osborn is considered too small to man mark, and it's part of the reason he's been omitted lately.

Fleck is of similar stature, and Norwood slighter and not much taller. Berge has got the height, but he's not good in the air. We're now asking him to do a first post zone job to make some use of his height, while avoiding man marking duties which requires competing for the ball. You rarely see Lundstram leap above players, but he's got some height and is quite strong, so will also be used to mark. Ampadu gives us a good marker for a midfielder.

Among the forwards we have two players who are strong in the air. McBurnie attacks the ball well, and clears a lot of balls from the biggest danger zone in front of goal. It's helped us cope. A lot of fans are fed up of him not scoring, but Wilder can't set us up in a way that leaves us too vulnerable at set pieces. We also need some threat of our own, and Egan and McBurnie are almost the only ones we have that are likely to get their head on one of our set pieces. McGoldrick is also decent in the air. Burke is a six footer who's also got a good leap, but I've not seen him getting on the end of defensive or attacking set pieces so far.

I'd like us to be a robust and strong side. While accepting that our back three is not going to be hugely physical (in the near fuuture) I think we must make sure we have some physicality in midfield and up front. One midfielder and one forward to help the back three may suffice against a lot of teams. My preferred midfield at the moment is:

Berge - Ampadu - Fleck

Lundstram can be an option. Osborn's got the work rate, but until Stevens is back he may have a chance at LWB, providing we're otherwise able to cope physically.

Up front we probably have to include one of McBurnie or McGoldrick. I also think the power (and running and pressing) of Burke is very much needed at the moment.
#obsessed😉.

69322F98-1144-4D81-8156-EE595B75E3ED.jpeg

UTB

......................Ramsdale
........Basham....Egan....Stevens
Baldock...................................Osborn
........................Ampadu
.......Berge...........................Fleck
.................Burke......Mousset

I never really want to see Lundstram playing for us again.
I think we're as good as down now anyway, would rather we had some pride in ourselves & got rid of him from the setup. I think the Lundstram saga has done a bit of damage behind the scenes (pure speculation).

If Mousset is unfit (& I can't remember a time when he was anything other...) then we may as well start blooding Brewster for next season in the Championship now.
I don't think McBurnie should feature in anything other than a cameo role for a little while. I don't particularly rate him as a player, but I think it's clear from his performances he's struggling with his confidence.

I would like to see Bogle given a go, I think he could offer us something different. He certainly couldn't be any worse than Baldock high up the pitch, or just in possession generally for that matter.
However, after a lot of post match ranting on Saturday about dropping him, I think we probably need to stick with for now. We need players that have a lot of heart. I fear things are going to get much worse over the next few weeks. Baldock's attitude is exemplary regardless of any of his faults.

Osborn for Max Lowe seems an absolute no brainer. I'm sorry to say that Max Lowe lad looks really poor. He showed a bit of promise on his debut but nothing since. Positionally unaware, slow & really weak. At least Osborn puts himself about. I don't think he's ever let us down at LWB.

Ampadu in for Norwood. Basically, everything Norwood can usually contribute isn't happening. He isn't getting any time on the ball & he doesn't have outlets for his ping because we're not attacking. His set plays have been pretty poor though & he looks physically exposed. His lack of pace and strength is starting to show up in the middle of the field.
As a minimum I'd expect Ampadu to be able to put himself about better & break up play.

#obsessed😉.

UTB

Nice appeal to authority.

Obsessed for not wanting us to be inadequate aerially, especially defending set pieces and crosses?

Wolves 1 counter attack 2 corner header

Aston V 1 corner flicked on, headed in at far post

Leeds 1 break, cross, header at far post

Arsenal 1 outpassed, cross, header at far post 2 Ball into space, Pepe running at defence

Fulham 1 trickery from Lookman

Liverpool 1 far post cross, free header from Mane saved, Firmino rebound. 2 far post header Jota

Man City 1 Long range shot from Walker

Chelsea 1 ball down our left, cross Abraham finish. 2 corner, cross far post finish. 3 Silva header from free kick. 4 Lowe challenge sends Werner through.

West Ham 1 Haller from outside box after WH running at us

WBA 1 Corner poorly cleared, Gallagher unmarked

It's not our only problem, but it could be even worse. Wilder is at least aware of the issue.

Regarding some suggested line ups - the main reason why they won't be tried is that they would leave us exposed defensively, at set pieces and in other aspects. It's understandable that people are frustrated with our goalscoring problems. But to have a chance we have to get the balance just right - not too defensive and not too attacking. Maybe that's a boring way out of the mess, but I'd take it.

Nice appeal to authority.

Obsessed for not wanting us to be inadequate aerially, especially defending set pieces and crosses?

Wolves 1 counter attack 2 corner header

Aston V 1 corner flicked on, headed in at far post

Leeds 1 break, cross, header at far post

Arsenal 1 outpassed, cross, header at far post 2 Ball into space, Pepe running at defence

Fulham 1 trickery from Lookman

Liverpool 1 far post cross, free header from Mane saved, Firmino rebound. 2 far post header Jota

Man City 1 Long range shot from Walker

Chelsea 1 ball down our left, cross Abraham finish. 2 corner, cross far post finish. 3 Silva header from free kick. 4 Lowe challenge sends Werner through.

West Ham 1 Haller from outside box after WH running at us

WBA 1 Corner poorly cleared, Gallagher unmarked

It's not our only problem, but it could be even worse. Wilder is at least aware of the issue.

Regarding some suggested line ups - the main reason why they won't be tried is that they would leave us exposed defensively, at set pieces and in other aspects. It's understandable that people are frustrated with our goalscoring problems. But to have a chance we have to get the balance just right - not too defensive and not too attacking. Maybe that's a boring way out of the mess, but I'd take it.

That’s the whole point BB.

Not sure we are inadequate aerially. Poor run of form recently aside, I’d suggest we have been pretty assured in this area.

I genuinely don’t see the problem, other than that the loss of JOC has been impactful in lots of different ways. Including aerially.

HOWEVER.

It’s called football for a reason, Our single biggest issue has been breaking teams down with rapid transitions through the thirds.

Appreciate it’s the big boys league so it’s harder, but look back on some of the genuinely quality football we have played in getting from L1 to the PL.

In our better performances last season in the PL.

The stunning 30 or so minute spell against Man U last season when I genuinely believe (and said at the time) it doesn’t get any better than that.

Absolutely none of what I have described above had diddly squat to do with having aerial presence. Being aerially or physically dominant.

More than absolutely anything else, it was to do with intricate play patterns, and excellent off the ball movement combined with a rapid movement of the football. Playing with a high tempo. Pressing with a high tempo. Everything was just that bit quicker.

We have gone more route 1 and it has been to our significant detriment. Technical players like Fleck, Enda, Dids have gone somewhat off the boil and I put this down largely to the tactics employed.

While I don’t think it’s all McB fault in that regard, he is a reason nonetheless. Symptomatic so to say ! Yes I think he’s rubbish but that’s for another thread.

I yearn for a return to our more fluid and progressive play that has served us under Wilder so well. More than a tad confused why we are so, relatively speaking, direct.

It hasn’t worked for us.

It will not work for us.

So why go down that road ?

Seriously, why ?

I don’t think that you and I will ever see completely eye to eye on all things football as our philosophies are truly polarised.

A bit of route 1 is fine. Just fine.

But too much of it, which I believe I am seeing right now, is very low percentage football and in the PL, playing low percentage football and setting up your team for low percentage football is, bluntly, suicidal !!

UTB

That’s the whole point BB.

Not sure we are inadequate aerially. Poor run of form recently aside, I’d suggest we have been pretty assured in this area.

I genuinely don’t see the problem, other than that the loss of JOC has been impactful in lots of different ways. Including aerially.

HOWEVER.

It’s called football for a reason, Our single biggest issue has been breaking teams down with rapid transitions through the thirds.

Appreciate it’s the big boys league so it’s harder, but look back on some of the genuinely quality football we have played in getting from L1 to the PL.

In our better performances last season in the PL.

The stunning 30 or so minute spell against Man U last season when I genuinely believe (and said at the time) it doesn’t get any better than that.

Absolutely none of what I have described above had diddly squat to do with having aerial presence. Being aerially or physically dominant.

More than absolutely anything else, it was to do with intricate play patterns, and excellent off the ball movement combined with a rapid movement of the football. Playing with a high tempo. Pressing with a high tempo. Everything was just that bit quicker.

We have gone more route 1 and it has been to our significant detriment. Technical players like Fleck, Enda, Dids have gone somewhat off the boil and I put this down largely to the tactics employed.

While I don’t think it’s all McB fault in that regard, he is a reason nonetheless. Symptomatic so to say ! Yes I think he’s rubbish but that’s for another thread.

I yearn for a return to our more fluid and progressive play that has served us under Wilder so well. More than a tad confused why we are so, relatively speaking, direct.

It hasn’t worked for us.

It will not work for us.

So why go down that road ?

Seriously, why ?

I don’t think that you and I will ever see completely eye to eye on all things football as our philosophies are truly polarised.

A bit of route 1 is fine. Just fine.

But too much of it, which I believe I am seeing right now, is very low percentage football and in the PL, playing low percentage football and setting up your team for low percentage football is, bluntly, suicidal !!

UTB

A straw man fallacy occurs when someone takes another person's argument or point, distorts it or exaggerates it in some kind of extreme way, and then attacks the extreme distortion, as if that is really the claim the first person is making.

A straw man fallacy occurs when someone takes another person's argument or point, distorts it or exaggerates it in some kind of extreme way, and then attacks the extreme distortion, as if that is really the claim the first person is making.
Touché 👍😀.

A877138E-558F-4838-8631-4861B185FBE0.jpeg

If you were trying to by funny btw it failed.

If you were referring to your statement that we are vulnerable aerially than I suggest you look up the statistics for aerial duels won.

Your eyes might just be deceiving you !!!

UTB

Ramsdale
Baldock Basham Egan Osborn
Lundstram Berge Fleck
Burke Brewster Mousset

4-3-3 all the way. I'm sick of watching lazy balls punted up field . Play to feet. There is serious pace in this lineup.
Berge CDM. Basham to stay back in defence. All our previously known goal scorers are in this lineup. Brewster is an out and out goalscorer, Burke and Mousset will tee him up. Draws are no good. It's all out attack. We will score with this lineup.

Back
Top Bottom