Targeting European Players inside GB

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Pulisic deal does seem a little odd when you consider that they have Hudson-Odoi, but then, Chelsea's transfer policy has always seemed a little odd.
Don't forget that America is one of the most sought after, emerging markets for football and Pulisic looks set to be the greatest American player of all time: don't underestimate the commercial benefits of the deal .

For anyone who doubts this point, the Co I work for sell football shirts, our biggest market (other than domestic) is South Korea followed by the US, they buy more than, China, Thailand, Malaysia, Germany, Italy etc 2nd biggest, it’s crazy in all honesty..

For a more visual example in past few years clubs stopped doing tours of China and the Far East and opted for big games in the US

Pretty sure Fulham turned down a 20m bid for Cairney from West Ham before they went up.

Also, 50-60m - not a chance.

If Fulham get relegated, £20 million from a Prem club and Cairney is gone.
Hull are in no position to turn down £20 million for unproven 22 year old Bowen........sound familiar?

Another £10 million gamble would be perhaps Daniel James from Swansea, who apparently has a £10 million release clause in his contract

£50 - £60 million and three improvements made, that see's us become reasonably competitive.

Patrick Roberts is also a good player for maybe £15 million with huge potential, plus the chance of selling for massive money

Young players with good potential all of them

Last edited:
Hull are in no position to turn down £20 million for unproven 22 year old Bowen........sound familiar?

Another £10 million gamble would be perhaps Daniel James from Swansea, who apparently has a £10 million release clause in his contract

£50 - £60 million and three improvements made, that see's us become reasonably competitive.

Patrick Roberts is also a good player for maybe £15 million with huge potential, plus the chance of selling for massive money

Young players with good potential all of them

Only issue there is that Roberts and James are both wingers - we don’t play with wingers in our current system.

Only issue there is that Roberts and James are both wingers - we don’t play with wingers in our current system.

We do play with wingers though, it's just that our wingers are overlapping centre halves or wing backs.
Hardly any of our moves go through the middle

Roberts, Bowen and James can all play anywhere in midfield or an advanced midfield role, whether it's wide or in the middle.
The premier league would be a different kettle of fish altogether, Basham and O'Connell will not be overlapping and leaving Harry Kane and Mo Salah all alone to do whatever they want.

We don't even do that against some Championship clubs away from home if we think they might punish us. Wednesday and Leeds being the prime examples, so we're definitely not going to do it if we go up to the Premier League

The likes of Roberts, James, Cairney and Bowen might all have offers to play for Tottenham or Chelseas reserves. These are the type of player that we need to convince to join us instead and get first team football and build their reputations

Last edited:

How's Cairney performing at Prem level also Sessegnon? I'm just not hearing anything about them anymore.
Bowen I think is a great player but not sure he'd be able to cut it in the prem, I don't think I'd chance more than about 8 million on him.
If James could fit our system 10 million should be a goer.
However there is one stunningly obvious purchase we should make if we go up and if he passes the 'tests' (come on Madine some how got through) Newcastle's Mitrovic, the one that plays for Fulham. Proven Premier league goal scorer, go to be worth 25m (at least) god knows what his wages are but we could probably sell it as a 'stepping stone' once he's banged in 20 goals for us, he'll be hot enough for a top 6 club.

How's Cairney performing at Prem level also Sessegnon? I'm just not hearing anything about them anymore.
Bowen I think is a great player but not sure he'd be able to cut it in the prem, I don't think I'd chance more than about 8 million on him.
However there is one stunningly obvious purchase we should make if we go up and if he passes the 'tests' (come on Madine some how got through) Newcastle's Mitrovic, the one that plays for Fulham. Proven Premier league goal scorer, go to be worth 25m (at least) god knows what his wages are but we could probably sell it as a 'stepping stone' once he's banged in 20 goals for us, he'll be hot enough for a top 6 club.

It's surprised me how badly Fulham have done. I didn't expect them to pull any trees up, but I didn't expect them to be so poor either. Only 17 points with more than three quarters of the season gone.
I think Cairney and Sessegnon are struggling due too the whole team struggling as opposed to them individually not being good enough.

Tottenham are apparently sniffing round Bowen, so that will escalate his price tag, if they are serious we have no chance of course, but if we got promoted and nipped in quick you never know. At 22 he might want to play games in the Premier League knowing his development by the time he reaches 25-26 would mean a massive move to somewhere really big.
Good for him, good for us

Last edited:
We're more likely to be linked to players Burnley don't want than players with huge potential that the top 6 can just hoover up and loan out.

Bournemouth got lucky on Brooks with his glandular fever taking him away from the limelight. Bowen has done a full season now and what's more, whilst he may lack some of Brooks' attributes, his goalscoring has been phenomenal for the position he plays.

Let's not get carried away with ourselves though.

There was talk of him moving to Man Utd for £50m in January. Way out of our league.

There was talk of him moving to Man Utd for £50m in January. Way out of our league.
Not as good as the HM rumour then?
Always worth a check, still can't understand why Newcastle won't play him.

have they actually signed him, I did check and as far as I can see he's still with Newcastle out on loan.
I’ve just googled it and there is no doubt he signed permanently for Fulham. It’s on his wiki page, the Fulham OS etc.

I’ve just googled it and there is no doubt he signed permanently for Fulham. It’s on his wiki page, the Fulham OS etc.
Hmm I would've only offered Newcastle their 15 million back anyway!
He's a good player, still think he was a snip at 22m.

Oli mcburnie from Swansea. Whenever I've seen him he's been class.
I’d take Leroy Fer off their hands aswell, who I’m sure is available on a free at the end of the season? He might be a bit high in the wages department but he’s always solid in the middle of the park and would help to keep Basham in his best position of RCB.

Barely anybody plays with wingers anymore. In sytems like ours, they've been replaced by wing backs. More commonly though, in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, the winger has been replaced by a combination of wide forwards and attacking midfielders.

Look at any of the top 6 in the PL: not a single one plays with wingers.

From what I've seen, James could happily play as a wide forward or attacking midfielder, meaning he could probabaly play in Duffy's role.

Mitrovic isn't a "stunningly obvious choice", he's a completely unrealistic suggestion.

Firstly, he'd have better options. Secondly, his transfer fee would likely exceed our entire budget. Finally, his wage demands would be likely more than double our next best earner.

Mitrovic isn't a "stunningly obvious choice", he's a completely unrealistic suggestion.

Firstly, he'd have better options. Secondly, his transfer fee would likely exceed our entire budget. Finally, his wage demands would be likely more than double our next best earner.
Aside from having covered this point a week ago, if Sheffield United fall into the trap of, 'we won't ask because we can't afford' they are coming straight back down. It will be the usual valiant effort and almost certainly another late, late, disaster but it'll be the same story. Put it out there he may be affordable, he may start the season with Fulham in the Championship and he'd be worth paying double the next highest earner if he can come up with the goals to keep us up should we make it to the Prem.
Do not confuse this with a post demanding we spend 'more money', it's a post asking for the budget to include a top class striker which will finesse an already good squad.

Aside from having covered this point a week ago, if Sheffield United fall into the trap of, 'we won't ask because we can't afford' they are coming straight back down.

It depends on which players. Shall we ask Barcelona how much they'd take for Messi?

Obviously there's a big gap between Messi and Mitrovic, but I'm just making the point that both will be financially out of reach.

Not saying we can't sign any players, I'm just saying we should probabaly focus on realistic ones

It will be the usual valiant effort and almost certainly another late, late, disaster but it'll be the same story.

What do you mean usual? We've only been in the PL once in the last 25 years.

Put it out there he may be affordable, he may start the season with Fulham in the Championship and he'd be worth paying double the next highest earner if he can come up with the goals to keep us up should we make it to the Prem.
Do not confuse this with a post demanding we spend 'more money', it's a post asking for the budget to include a top class striker which will finesse an already good squad.

Firstly, I disagree that we should pay any player double the next highest earner, as I think that's the sort of thing that could decimate morale. Each to their own though.

Secondly, asking for our budget to include a top class striker is unrealistic for a newly promoted club. Just look at the lower half of the PL table; Palace, Burnley, Brighton, Cardiff, Huddersfield and arguably Newcastle and Southampton could all use a "top class striker" yet none of them have one. What makes you think we're going to be able to sign better players than established PL clubs in a our 1st season back in the PL?

It depends on which players. Shall we ask Barcelona how much they'd take for Messi?

Obviously there's a big gap between Messi and Mitrovic, but I'm just making the point that both will be financially out of reach.

Not saying we can't sign any players, I'm just saying we should probabaly focus on realistic ones

What do you mean usual? We've only been in the PL once in the last 25 years.

Firstly, I disagree that we should pay any player double the next highest earner, as I think that's the sort of thing that could decimate morale. Each to their own though.

Secondly, asking for our budget to include a top class striker is unrealistic for a newly promoted club. Just look at the lower half of the PL table; Palace, Burnley, Brighton, Cardiff, Huddersfield and arguably Newcastle and Southampton could all use a "top class striker" yet none of them have one. What makes you think we're going to be able to sign better players than established PL clubs in a our 1st season back in the PL?
Just Google Alexandar Mitrovic and it becomes very clear he won’t be joining a newly promoted club or staying at Fulham.

Just Google Alexandar Mitrovic and it becomes very clear he won’t be joining a newly promoted club or staying at Fulham.

Absoloutely. There's a multitude of reasons why he won't join us. (Although the only reason cited on here will be a lack of ambition no doubt)

Just googled him as well, I assume you're alluding to his proposed move to China? I'm sure we can afford £50m and £16m a year salary - we should at least ask. :rolleyes:

So you want to go down the sarcastic road?
nah let's not enquire about anybody who's going to cost more than 5 million quid because we can't afford it.
Let's not explain to the rest of the squad, ok you'll hear this guy is on more money than the rest of you but it'll be worth it as it gives you all a chance of keeping your Prem wages.
Let's not bother getting promoted as we can't afford it. Happy now?
Or we could discuss things like adults, novel concept I know but it might work, who knows?
As I said it was discussed at least a week ago, before his agent started drumming up Mitrovics' value, when the time comes express an interest, sell it to him. Or don't bother.

Back
Top Bottom