Targeting European Players inside GB

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

officialrjh

Reaction score
Since wilder took over, we have been a brexit team and we are probably the only team to do so. The blades at the time of this thread are 2nd in Championship.

If promoted would you like to see the blades target European players in England and Scotland like Neal Maupay in the summer

It all depends what our priorities for players are.

In the prem for me, we need 2 x Goalkeepers for competition - Hendo on loan again is a possibility - rumours about Pope at Burnley, and we need someone up top and Maupay would possibly come into that category. Didn't Brentford want £20m. We need CM on the left side as we've been fortunate Fleck hasn't got injured. Perhaps McGinn at Villa could be tempted with Prem football.

I would suspect CW and his team already have a good idea who the targets are, depending what division we are in.

We are fortunate that some of our players have made tremendous progress under CW & AK particularly in the past two seasons, but Fulham showed how not to do it last season, lets hope we heed that lesson.

As for European players - couldn't give a monkeys. We would need to fill various weak spots in the squad and then it all comes down to CW's budget. If he had lets say £60m to spend in the summer, it isn't going to go very far once wages are added on top and the dreaded agents fees that we keep hearing about.

UTB

One of the most impressive things CW/AK have managed to do is select good characters for the squad and improve them as players. The fact that they all are natural English speakers of similar culture helps greatly. It is a successful blueprint which could be easily disrupted with the wrong choice of players. Yes we will need to improve organically rather than do a Fulham, but should be careful what we wish for. I am confident that our management team will get it right. In the past I have been hopeful about managers making good decisions, but never confident as now.

how about targeting some of the top young British based players who can't get regular first team games at their clubs. Loan for a season , get to love the team spirit etc here and want to stay. Like Hendo or Dowell .No language problems. Or late developers who have bags of experience and want to prove themselves at a higher level , Duffy and Crainie? types. mmm, just a thought, do we already do this and it seems to work quite well.

how about targeting some of the top young British based players who can't get regular first team games at their clubs. Loan for a season , get to love the team spirit etc here and want to stay. Like Hendo or Dowell.

It's a bit more restrictive in the PL.

A max of 2 loans from English clubs at any one time.

A max of 4 loans over a season, and not more than one from the same club at the same time

https://www.premierleague.com/news/464747

We miss a huge trick by not looking overseas. Lots of value to be had, but sadly we no longer invest in a scouting network as we once did.

We miss a huge trick by not looking overseas. Lots of value to be had, but sadly we no longer invest in a scouting network as we once did.

This for sure this is something that we can develop over a few years. Palace appear to have a healthy mix of players and still seem to maintain a unique spirit within their club.

My issue is teams such as Stoke - got up with Pullisball, Stoke fans become unhappy and a so called football manager came in - did pretty well for a while but then a large input of foreign players seemed to kill off what they had.

CW was at it again at the weekend in the post match interview on Quest about the "group" and how we have to stick together - which is fair enough. CW appears to ask others in the game about players before he signs them - the question is how does he integrate players he knows little about? It seems a big ask for him to change.

UTB

Plenty of proven British players around in the Championship that would improve what we currently have.

Huddlestone, Livermore, Shawcross, Gibbs, McCormack, Whelan, Elmo Hamady.

Some would argue that our UK & Irish recruitment model is working just fine right now.

I imagine if we went up, we’d have to look abroad for better value. British players in the PL and Championship command ridiculous fees nowadays. Blackburn wanted £15m for Dack in January ffs.

The bigger the market you shop in, the more chance you have of finding good value. I've no issues with the way Wilder has handled recruitment up till now, but if we want to move to the next level we will need a scouting operation in Europe, at minimum.

Come on pal, I know there's no 'smiley', but including 'Elmo Hamady' in a list of British players I thought might have given the sarcasm away.

It did cross my mind that you were only joking but you can never be too sure on this board. I’ve seen worse.

Assume you were also joking with the other suggestions then?

Che Adams....?

I would like us to remain an all British and Irish squad if we were in the PL, it would be quite a first and I think we'd stay up like that as well. But we shouldn't let that ideal get in the way of getting better value from abroad if we can.

We'd certainly have to expand the scouting network as soon as possible. Couldn't afford not to.

Imagine if we had a coherent foreign transfer policy we could have unearthed such gems as Joost Van Aken and Joey Pelupessy.

There's a few already here that we could pinch if we went up who I think would be able to make the step up, Maupay, Benrhama,
But British players like Jarrod Bowen and Tom Cairney should be on our radar if we go up as Fulham are as good as down.

There's £50 or £60 million there, but that wouldn't be bad going for our first set of improvements in our first season back

Troy Deeney he's been doing it in the Prem for a good few seasons now,gettin on abit at 30,Che Adams is the younger version.

Plenty of proven British players around in the Championship that would improve what we currently have.

Huddlestone, Livermore, Shawcross, Gibbs, McCormack, Whelan, Elmo Hamady.

That list makes me shudder, if we turn to ageing mercenaries then things will only go one way.

There's a few already here that we could pinch if we went up who I think would be able to make the step up, Maupay, Benrhama,
But British players like Jarrod Bowen and Tom Cairney should be on our radar if we go up as Fulham are as good as down.

There's £50 or £60 million there, but that wouldn't be bad going for our first set of improvements in our first season back
Pretty sure Fulham turned down a 20m bid for Cairney from West Ham before they went up.

Also, 50-60m - not a chance.

We're on course for promotion: in what way did we "miss a huge trick"?

If we had invested in an expensive European scouting network, we would have had less money for players.

Che Adams....?

I would like us to remain an all British and Irish squad if we were in the PL, it would be quite a first and I think we'd stay up like that as well. But we shouldn't let that ideal get in the way of getting better value from abroad if we can.

We'd certainly have to expand the scouting network as soon as possible. Couldn't afford not to.

Can't see us going back for Che Adams, though he would tick a lot of boxes in terms of the sort of player we're looking for.

I'm assuming he will cost a bit more than we're willing to pay, I'd also guess he may have preferable options.

Wasnt particularly impressed with Maupay recently; certainly didn't look like £20m worth of player.

Can't see us spending that kind of money on one player anyway, which would also probabaly rule out Bowen too.

Carney could be an option, always admired him as a player. Wages might be an issue though.

We're on course for promotion: in what way did we "miss a huge trick"?

If we had invested in an expensive European scouting network, we would have had less money for players.

European scouting networks don’t have to be expensive and, given the value to be had, I think it would more than pay its way in the same way that the academy has.

One of the most impressive things CW/AK have managed to do is select good characters for the squad and improve them as players. The fact that they all are natural English speakers of similar culture helps greatly. It is a successful blueprint which could be easily disrupted with the wrong choice of players. Yes we will need to improve organically rather than do a Fulham, but should be careful what we wish for. I am confident that our management team will get it right. In the past I have been hopeful about managers making good decisions, but never confident as now.
Wilder would not throw the baby out with the bathwater,but no doubt we would need to add more quality in certain areas.
Don't believe he would change the way we play that much it will just evolve as it has done leading up to now ,the added quality would obviously make us better at what we do.With teams finding it difficult to stop us when we are at our best no reason to feel we can't do it if we do go up.
The biggest step is finishing what we have created this season ,what a magical thing that would be.
With all the money being thrown at it now to achieve promotion would be fantastic and I would go as far as saying Wilder would make himself the best Manager in our long history ?.

Back
Top Bottom