Player Suggestion Target man needed?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not Madine, surely? This would be like appointing Megson if / when Tufty leaves.

Madine is a fucking feral pig, a fucking disgusting specimen, an out and out fucking cunt.

I'd rather we re-signed fucking Marlon King than that piece of shit Madine.

Someone call an ambulance while I choke on my own vomit.
He hasn't exactly been a roaring success has he ?
Ever

Not Madine, surely? This would be like appointing Megson if / when Tufty leaves.

Madine is a fucking feral pig, a fucking disgusting specimen, an out and out fucking cunt.

Can I just be clear, is that a no from you?:)

Gestede ? Only.played a handful of games for Boro this season and they must be bumping up against the FFP rules. Hrs always looked a massive handful when he's played against us.

Gestede ? Only.played a handful of games for Boro this season and they must be bumping up against the FFP rules. Hrs always looked a massive handful when he's played against us.
We brought in a 6ft 4 forward to mix it up a bit as teams were sitting in..
If we continue being in and around top six we will get more teams doing that in the new year.Love the way we play but a really tall target man would give us a new dimension against the sitting teams.
More quality than what Hanson gave but the height would be useful in both boxes.
Michael Smith or someone similar would fit the bill ,I think we need that something g different a big striker would bring. Teams will come the lane looking for a point we have to have something different to throw at them ,it worked in division 1.

I don't think it will do us much good, I'd rather have another good footballer, not necessarily a poacher or a target man to play with Billy. Ideally someone that can create something out of nothing. We don't have the cash for one of these players though.

Also, if Madine is on fire make sure you record and post it on here, I'd like to watch.

It's ok saying we want a target man but then we will want him to have pace, then we will add that he needs to get 10-15 goals a season before you know it our targets cost 15 million quid.

I might be wrong here but don't Madine and Sharp literally despise each other?

Not ideal for a solid team atmosphere is it.

It's ok saying we want a target man but then we will want him to have pace, then we will add that he needs to get 10-15 goals a season before you know it our targets cost 15 million quid.
And when we lump it to him and he loses possession, which he inevitably will because we don’t have the right players around him, players who know how to scrap for a knockdown and ‘elpiton, and the opposition then keep the ball for three minutes until we finally win it back and then launch it again, people will be moaning about our shit football and saying ‘target men are alright for the lower leagues but championship defenders rarely get troubled by them’.

You can play like Leeds or you can play like Cardiff but there’s no side in this league that can do both. You need big, strong, athletic midfielders for a start, not Fleck, Norwood and Duffy.

There’s no reason why a target man needs to conflict with our style of play, we just need a target man who is more mobile than most of the names suggested here. Someone in the mould of Brian Deane would be good.......

I'd love a Brian Deane type or a Jan Aage Fjortoft, i.e. someone that can hold the ball up, bring in others to the play as well as been an outstanding player like Deane and Fjortoft were. However, I haven't suggested someone like that because I haven't noticed anyone like that to be frank - not that we could afford anyway.

Also I'm not saying Madine should be signed, I'm just saying I think he'd add something to us, or someone similar like Michael Smith at Rotherham. We'd all love a Lukaku type but I can't think of one that is affordable.

Is that Fellani chap getting regular games these days, I’m sure that Manure must be due us another favour!

McBurnie? Seems a right handful on his day.
From Yorkshire and still only 22.
I reckon he'd be one of the more expensive options.

And when we lump it to him and he loses possession, which he inevitably will because we don’t have the right players around him, players who know how to scrap for a knockdown and ‘elpiton, and the opposition then keep the ball for three minutes until we finally win it back and then launch it again, people will be moaning about our shit football and saying ‘target men are alright for the lower leagues but championship defenders rarely get troubled by them’.

You can play like Leeds or you can play like Cardiff but there’s no side in this league that can do both. You need big, strong, athletic midfielders for a start, not Fleck, Norwood and Duffy.

In League One we did superb. Then teams seemed to find a way to make it more difficult for us, defending deep, putting men behind the ball.

upload_2018-12-12_22-9-44.png

We then signed James Hanson. His presence in the box helped make the tactics that worked against us ineffective.

We didn't start lumping it. We played good football, regained our form, regularly scored 3 or 4 and never lost again that season.

Obviously we'd need an upgraded version of Hanson this time around, but the suggestion of the OP is definitely something for the management to consider.

McBurnie? Seems a right handful on his day.
From Yorkshire and still only 22.
I reckon he'd be one of the more expensive options.

When I suggest Madine is because it is realistic mate. Not because he's top of my list or that he's an amazing player. Ollie McBurnie on the other hand is a Premier League player in the making and would probably cost £10 - £15m.

I look at all the options for a taller, bigger presence and Madine is one of the most realistic and has proved himself for Bolton that he is a real handful. The others I suggested are Michael Smith of Rotherham (who I suggested in preference to Madine) or Eaves or Moore, both of League One. If you go up to the Premier League we're looking at younger lads like what we've done with Woodburn which can go either way or a squad player that isn't getting much football, like what we achieved with Norwood, and of course Madine fits into the profile. I don't want someone like Colin Quaner who can't score for toffee, Connor Wickham is a possibility but often injured and then there's long term target Sam Gallagher which we've not been able to get done before because Southampton appear to want to keep him but then ever play him and/or the player wants to try and force his way into the first team - unlikely.

I'd love to be able to sign someone who is currently doing well at this level, irrespective of their type, but can we really see us prizing another player from a rival, or even someone from one of the lower/mid table teams like Lukas Jutkiewicz but we all know you only have to score a handful of goals at Championship level and you're talking £5 - 20 million.

We can disagree or agree on whether a taller type is needed and we all know we need someone with pace but in my view someone who can dominate a defence would really benefit us, either to start or as a sub, and the pace could be added in the number 10 option, as we probably can all agree we need competition and cover for Duffy. As I said I'd love another Brian Deane but someone who can head, hold up the ball, shoot from long range, run at a man with pace as Deane could, doesn't come cheap but maybe Wilder doesn't want a target man.

We aint got a barrel of money.
So do we splash the cash on someone who improves Plan A; someone who fits right in to our team but adds quality to it?
Or do we buy a big lump in case we need Plan B; someone who’ll undoubtedly change the way we play?

Just wondering, am I the only one who thinks we're crying out for an out an out target man? Whether that be someone who starts, or someone who can come on for the last twenty minutes to dominate the oppositions centre halves. As good as Leon is I don't see him as a target man particularly, he generally doesn't beat his opposition defender for winning headers (to play other players in, not to attack for a goal). I also think Leon needs competetion from a similar player who has a presence, and I think will bring out the best of the other attackers, who I also think would benefit from someone like that. Here's my suggestions for said player in ordefr of preference:

1 Michael Smith Rotherham

Can hold the ball up really well, can finish and dominates his centre halves, links up well with players around him. Not scored many goals this season but he looks a real handful and if he played at the Lane I reckon he'd score a lot more and co. Probably would cost £1.5 - £2m.

2 Gary Madine:

I know, I know but he was on fire last season and no one can tell me that he didn't look a real handful against us. He dominated us and our defence couldn't handle him. He has his limitations also but I believe he would really add something to us. There's the obvious history but no one can tell me they wouldn't like Madine if he scored the winner v Wednesday! This would likely be a loan move and I'm sure he'll be available in January, wilder was complimentary last season on Madine.

Into League One...

3 Tom Eaves Gillingham

Seen quite a lot of Eaves, albeit on highliughts and I feel he would be a great addition if we can't get either of the first choices. He's cpabable of scoring one on ones, headers and is a big hot right now for a very average Gills side. He's out of contract at the end of this season and other teams are now being linked. Would guess would cost between £700,000 and £1m tops, but there is talk of a new contract.

4 Keifer Moore Barnsley

I think he's been mentioned before by our fans and again he has the same qualities as the others but hasn't had he didn't score many last season for Barnsley in the Championship. However he was playing for a struggling side and he could be more of a threat for us. Would guess he'd cost between £700,000 and £1.5m.

I'm no expert but that's my thoughts and maybe you totally disagree and think we don't need a target man. I'm not saying we don't need a fast type up there but with Billy in such fine form I think a target man would benefit us more and compliment Billy more but that' just my views.

I think it's an excellent idea to have an out-and-out target man as a plan B from the bench. Wilder did it to great effect in L1 with Hanson, and when he brought him on against Fulham last year he shit them up and we nearly got a point out of the game from 5-2 down. I think we're far too one dimensional at the minute, it can be good to watch but the oppo now know what to expect from us and plan accordingly, we have a fairly good plan A but when that doesn't work (when lesser teams - that means you piggy Wednesday - park the bus for example) we don't have a plan B. If plan B means going a bit more direct to turn a point into 3 or a defeat into a point then so bit it.

Another option we miss from the bench that Wilder always had up his sleeve in L1 was an out-and-out winger, again another effective plan b from the bench that could help breakdown blanket defences.

I think it's an excellent idea to have an out-and-out target man as a plan B from the bench. Wilder did it to great effect in L1 with Hanson, and when he brought him on against Fulham last year he shit them up and we nearly got a point out of the game from 5-2 down. I think we're far too one dimensional at the minute, it can be good to watch but the oppo now know what to expect from us and plan accordingly, we have a fairly good plan A but when that doesn't work (when lesser teams - that means you piggy Wednesday - park the bus for example) we don't have a plan B. If plan B means going a bit more direct to turn a point into 3 or a defeat into a point then so bit it.

Another option we miss from the bench that Wilder always had up his sleeve in L1 was an out-and-out winger, again another effective plan b from the bench that could help breakdown blanket defences.

I obviously agree but Wilder did say that we could have banged it long v Wednesday for the last 10 or so and go for the second balls, but we're better than that. I'm not saying we do need to go long and go for the second balls but the signing of a target man might not be in his plans, but I'd love to seem someone give the opposition defences a different threat and boss oppo centre halves in a way that I don't think Leon does, and he's the nearest we have to a target man. What Michael Smith did to Wednesday last week is exactly what I'd like to see us do in his role. He creates countless chances for others by holding it up and then playing it off, and it doesn't have to be a long ball at head height for that either.

As you say, Hanson did a decent job for us when he played and we still were playing decent stuff.

The FACT that the hoofwaffe are citing James Hanson as a “decent” example of how this can be effective, genuinely tells its own story.

UTB

The FACT that the hoofwaffe are citing James Hanson as a “decent” example of how this can be effective, genuinely tells its own story.

UTB

Its all well and good to come up with funny witty one liners like Hoofwaffe and suggesting that those that agree with what I have said are favouring hoofball, when in reality those that agree with me such as Bergen Blade, who I think we can all agree talks sense and has a valid view on tactics, can merely see the benefit of bringing in someone like Michael Smith. For the last time I'm not suggesting buying or loaning a big lump who can't score and changes our style of play as some have said will happen, but I don't recall the style changing under Hanson, and we need more than what Hanson could offer.

Can we not all agree that we've only got Leon as the out and out bigger guy and if he gets injured I would fear that we will lose an important quality in this league, and that's all the attributes a taller forward, target man or not, can bring such as being able hold up the ball, head the ball both attacking and to bring in others, but also depending on the merits of each player, you watch Michael Smith for example and he is much more than just a big lump as some accuse a taller player of.

He is able to run with the ball and finish very well on a one on one situation, and others I've seen can shoot from long range and we are poor in that regard too. If Leon is injured then we miss out in my view on the ability to out muscle our opposing defenders but also far more likely to not get on the end of crosses in the air, such as to the far post, and then defences sit deep and its much harder to break teams down. I'd also like to see us sign someone with pace up top and/or in the hole, to be able to take players out of the equation with pace, but that wasn't my point. Watch what Micharel Smith does to Wednesday (ok they're not the best defensively, but Smith does a job on them) and I believe he'd be a massive asset to us.

Rotherham aren't playing long ball either, they're simply crossing into the height that Smith has which is something we also do, such as to Billy from Fleck on Saturday and to McGoldrick from Baldock, both of which were missed chances and Smith would be more likely to take, see videos.

Last edited:
Its all well and good to come up with funny witty one liners like Hoofwaffe and suggesting that those that agree with what I have said are favouring hoofball, when in reality those that agree with me such as Bergen Blade, who I think we can all agree talks sense and has a valid view on tactics, can merely see the benefit of bringing in someone like Michael Smith. For the last time I'm not suggesting buying or loaning a big lump who can't score and changes our style of play as some have said will happen, but I don't recall the style changing under Hanson, and we need more than what Hanson could offer.

Can we not all agree that we've only got Leon as the out and out bigger guy and if he gets injured I would fear that we will lose an important quality in this league, and that's all the attributes a taller forward, target man or not, can bring such as being able hold up the ball, head the ball both attacking and to bring in others, but also depending on the merits of each player, you watch Michael Smith for example and he is much more than just a big lump as some accuse a taller player of.

He is able to run with the ball and finish very well on a one on one situation, and others I've seen can shoot from long range and we are poor in that regard too. If Leon is injured then we miss out in my view on the ability to out muscle our opposing defenders but also far more likely to not get on the end of crosses in the air, such as to the far post, and then defences sit deep and its much harder to break teams down. I'd also like to see us sign someone with pace up top and/or in the hole, to be able to take players out of the equation with pace, but that wasn't my point. Watch what Micharel Smith does to Wednesday (ok they're not the best defensively, but Smith does a job on them) and I believe he'd be a massive asset to us.

Rotherham aren't playing long ball either, they're simply crossing into the height that Smith has which is something we also do, such as to Billy from Fleck on Saturday and to McGoldrick from Baldock, both of which were missed chances and Smith would be more likely to take, see videos.

I want Smith now, but only because the bottom video has music taken from a 90s martial arts movie training montague!

Listen to Wilders interview from today.

The subject of being more direct was discussed.

Wilder dismisses it.

Try to understand WHY !!!!

UTB

Listen to Wilders interview from today.

The subject of being more direct was discussed.

Wilder dismisses it.

Try to understand WHY !!!!

UTB

Dronnie, I'm not suggesting going direct and I've seen with my own eyes the balls that we put in could well suit a type that I'm talking about. Clearly you don't believe me so here's the video evidence:

V Leeds tsee fist video at 36 seconds) the ball that Sharp heads down into the ground - that's a perfect cross for someone that excels in the air. Don't get me wrong, Sharp is surprisingly good in the air, but as good as Michael Smith? No not in that regard who I'd love to see alongside Sharp and I believe Sharp would excel from the link up play that could be provided by a Smith type.

The second video from the Reading match we missed another two really good headers, one from Sharp 1.30 and another from McGoldrick that sadly isn't in the attached vid, and then there's another that Leon missed v Brentford, just before he did score with a superb finish. I'm not faulting Sharp for missing v Reading either, the ball is slightly behind him as Billy said on the day, but what I'm saying is we put plenty of balls in the box that I think would suit a type I'm talking about and whether its from the start or as a sub I believe a taller strong type would add something.

I've got no more to add Dronnie, I'm just repeating myself. You don't agree fine, and presumably think we should just have Leon as the only taller player, or maybe you think we need another type in preference to a taller type, and I have stated I'd like some pace up top as well, but I don't think we'll ever agree on this. Its all about opinions and whoever Wilder brings in I'm sure he'll add something.

Re Wilder's interview and I'm assuming that you're referring to the part where Paul Walker says that some of his mates say can we get the ball in earlier and I presume from that that you're suggesting that I'm suggesting we need to get the ball in more and presumably you therefore think a target man can only score if its a header and not on the ground?! I've never said that we should cross more in the air, I'm saying we already do cross plenty for a good header of the ball and I think we lack that player who excels in the air ad I'm not saying lets go long from the back either.

Dronnie, I'm not suggesting going direct and I've seen with my own eyes the balls that we put in could well suit a type that I'm talking about. Clearly you don't believe me so here's the video evidence:

V Leeds tsee fist video at 36 seconds) the ball that Sharp heads down into the ground - that's a perfect cross for someone that excels in the air. Don't get me wrong, Sharp is surprisingly good in the air, but as good as Michael Smith? No not in that regard who I'd love to see alongside Sharp and I believe Sharp would excel from the link up play that could be provided by a Smith type.

The second video from the Reading match we missed another two really good headers, one from Sharp 1.30 and another from McGoldrick that sadly isn't in the attached vid, and then there's another that Leon missed v Brentford, just before he did score with a superb finish. I'm not faulting Sharp for missing v Reading either, the ball is slightly behind him as Billy said on the day, but what I'm saying is we put plenty of balls in the box that I think would suit a type I'm talking about and whether its from the start or as a sub I believe a taller strong type would add something.

I've got no more to add Dronnie, I'm just repeating myself. You don't agree fine, and presumably think we should just have Leon as the only taller player, or maybe you think we need another type in preference to a taller type, and I have stated I'd like some pace up top as well, but I don't think we'll ever agree on this. Its all about opinions and whoever Wilder brings in I'm sure he'll add something.

Re Wilder's interview and I'm assuming that you're referring to the part where Paul Walker says that some of his mates say can we get the ball in earlier and I presume from that that you're suggesting that I'm suggesting we need to get the ball in more and presumably you therefore think a target man can only score if its a header and not on the ground?! I've never said that we should cross more in the air, I'm saying we already do cross plenty for a good header of the ball and I think we lack that player who excels in the air ad I'm not saying lets go long from the back either.

Pretty long winded way of saying Wilder knows what’s required and that that doesn’t involve the introduction of a “Smith” type anytime soon.

I’m not even sure Wilder believes a “Smith” type is even a viable option off the bench / plan B type any longer.

2 Billy Sharps would probably be handy. That said, he’d probably bench them both :);)
UTB

Pretty long winded way of saying Wilder knows what’s required and that that doesn’t involve the introduction of a “Smith” type anytime soon.

I’m not even sure Wilder believes a “Smith” type is even a viable option off the bench / plan B type any longer.

2 Billy Sharps would probably be handy. That said, he’d probably bench them both :);)
UTB

Fair enough mate. We don't agree, so I'll leave it there. UTB

Andy Carroll on loan, ya never know.

Very good friend of mine is working for someone at the moment who mixes in the right circles and has got things right before. Apparently this is one we're looking at. Willing to take a pay cut to come, allegedly.

So some third hand information from an unconfirmed source, that's what I'm putting on my ITK CV :D

2 Gary Madine:

I know, I know but he was on fire last season and no one can tell me that he didn't look a real handful against us. He dominated us and our defence couldn't handle him. He has his limitations also but I believe he would really add something to us. There's the obvious history but no one can tell me they wouldn't like Madine if he scored the winner v Wednesday! This would likely be a loan move and I'm sure he'll be available in January, wilder was complimentary last season on Madine.

No chance of him signing.

Well Booker4 called it correctly and I assume there's a lot of humble pie desert being eaten tonight by a few on here

I haven't gone with the smug text but it did cross my mind Frieth! Thing is if Madine's crap then I'll get pelters, so for now I'll not say anything! I do think he's gonna be a good signing though and will add something, particularly against physical teams.

I might be wrong here but don't Madine and Sharp literally despise each other?

Not ideal for a solid team atmosphere is it.

6mhMzLg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom