Player Suggestion Target man needed?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Booker4

Reaction score
Just wondering, am I the only one who thinks we're crying out for an out an out target man? Whether that be someone who starts, or someone who can come on for the last twenty minutes to dominate the oppositions centre halves. As good as Leon is I don't see him as a target man particularly, he generally doesn't beat his opposition defender for winning headers (to play other players in, not to attack for a goal). I also think Leon needs competetion from a similar player who has a presence, and I think will bring out the best of the other attackers, who I also think would benefit from someone like that. Here's my suggestions for said player in ordefr of preference:

1 Michael Smith Rotherham

Can hold the ball up really well, can finish and dominates his centre halves, links up well with players around him. Not scored many goals this season but he looks a real handful and if he played at the Lane I reckon he'd score a lot more and co. Probably would cost £1.5 - £2m.

2 Gary Madine:

I know, I know but he was on fire last season and no one can tell me that he didn't look a real handful against us. He dominated us and our defence couldn't handle him. He has his limitations also but I believe he would really add something to us. There's the obvious history but no one can tell me they wouldn't like Madine if he scored the winner v Wednesday! This would likely be a loan move and I'm sure he'll be available in January, wilder was complimentary last season on Madine.

Into League One...

3 Tom Eaves Gillingham

Seen quite a lot of Eaves, albeit on highliughts and I feel he would be a great addition if we can't get either of the first choices. He's cpabable of scoring one on ones, headers and is a big hot right now for a very average Gills side. He's out of contract at the end of this season and other teams are now being linked. Would guess would cost between £700,000 and £1m tops, but there is talk of a new contract.

4 Keifer Moore Barnsley

I think he's been mentioned before by our fans and again he has the same qualities as the others but hasn't had he didn't score many last season for Barnsley in the Championship. However he was playing for a struggling side and he could be more of a threat for us. Would guess he'd cost between £700,000 and £1.5m.

I'm no expert but that's my thoughts and maybe you totally disagree and think we don't need a target man. I'm not saying we don't need a fast type up there but with Billy in such fine form I think a target man would benefit us more and compliment Billy more but that' just my views.

Gerrit in t'mixer...

This is so far removed from the direction Tufty has us going in... He bought in Hanson to get us over the hump and out of League One - then dumped him. Even recently Clarke has been frozen out in place of more mobile and agile strikers. The last few forwards Tufty has brought in have been McGoldrick, Washington and Woodburn...

Think you'll be waiting a long time for Tufty to buy one of those names you're suggesting...

ust wondering, am I the only one who thinks we're crying out for an out an out target man?

No. Hanson played a big part in helping us out of L1. This is a Plan B that we don't currently have.

Andy Carroll on loan, ya never know.
Gary Madine
Steven Fletcher (but he's on £40k a week :D)

Someone like them. We have nobody to attack high crosses into the box

Gam Sallagher?

Aye there's Sam Gallagher too, forgot about him.
Gerrit in t'mixer...

This is so far removed from the direction Tufty has us going in... He bought in Hanson to get us over the hump and out of League One - then dumped him. Even recently Clarke has been frozen out in place of more mobile and agile strikers. The last few forwards Tufty has brought in have been McGoldrick, Washington and Woodburn...

Think you'll be waiting a long time for Tufty to buy one of those names you're suggesting...

I'm not suggesting long ball or that we change the way we play. We play plenty of direct balls to the front two, particularly when Leon plays and for me as much as I love Leon, he doesn't hold it up and win the aerial dual, I would say that's not his biggest strength to be fair.

Wilder wanted Sam Gallagher before who certainly is someone who can play as a target man so I'm not so sure we won't be going for a bigger type, but whatever Wilder does I'm sure he'll improve us this January.

We won’t be spending much money on anyone IMO, certainly not a Plan B bench option. Kiefer Moores probably the best option mentioned, but the Dingles have actually grown a backbone and wont sell for cheap (especially to us) and we (rightly) wont offer daft enough money to tempt them. Gallaghers stock seems at an all time low, so maybe a more realistic option now; but his wages will still be big for a Plan B.

Maybe Washing Machine on loan is the best, most realistic, affordable one out of that lot, but 1) how high are his wages now after his hugely inflated transfer? And 2) as we all know, CW vets his signings for good character and isnt in the business of employing trouble-making vermin, especially one who would immediately split the fan base.

EDIT: Actually- the thought of Madine scoring the winner at the sty next year is too much to resist. Gerrimin.

Gregory is 30 now and while I've never massively related him I'd have 5 of of him playing for us than one shithouse Madine.

I totally get Madine wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea and yes there are doubts over his disruption personality wise. Its more the suggestion that I'd like a target man option in the squad. I'd also like a centre forward with pace and an attacking mid like Jota but I can't see it. Is a target man the biggest priority in January? Not probably not but I think its something that could really help.

Not for me thanks. I like the way we play now. No need to go hoofwards imo.

Just wondering, am I the only one who thinks we're crying out for an out an out target man? Whether that be someone who starts, or someone who can come on for the last twenty minutes to dominate the oppositions centre halves. As good as Leon is I don't see him as a target man particularly, he generally doesn't beat his opposition defender for winning headers (to play other players in, not to attack for a goal). I also think Leon needs competetion from a similar player who has a presence, and I think will bring out the best of the other attackers, who I also think would benefit from someone like that. Here's my suggestions for said player in ordefr of preference:

1 Michael Smith Rotherham

Can hold the ball up really well, can finish and dominates his centre halves, links up well with players around him. Not scored many goals this season but he looks a real handful and if he played at the Lane I reckon he'd score a lot more and co. Probably would cost £1.5 - £2m.

2 Gary Madine:

I know, I know but he was on fire last season and no one can tell me that he didn't look a real handful against us. He dominated us and our defence couldn't handle him. He has his limitations also but I believe he would really add something to us. There's the obvious history but no one can tell me they wouldn't like Madine if he scored the winner v Wednesday! This would likely be a loan move and I'm sure he'll be available in January, wilder was complimentary last season on Madine.

Into League One...

3 Tom Eaves Gillingham

Seen quite a lot of Eaves, albeit on highliughts and I feel he would be a great addition if we can't get either of the first choices. He's cpabable of scoring one on ones, headers and is a big hot right now for a very average Gills side. He's out of contract at the end of this season and other teams are now being linked. Would guess would cost between £700,000 and £1m tops, but there is talk of a new contract.

4 Keifer Moore Barnsley

I think he's been mentioned before by our fans and again he has the same qualities as the others but hasn't had he didn't score many last season for Barnsley in the Championship. However he was playing for a struggling side and he could be more of a threat for us. Would guess he'd cost between £700,000 and £1.5m.

I'm no expert but that's my thoughts and maybe you totally disagree and think we don't need a target man. I'm not saying we don't need a fast type up there but with Billy in such fine form I think a target man would benefit us more and compliment Billy more but that' just my views.
Nah.

Not for me thanks. I like the way we play now. No need to go hoofwards imo.

I'm not saying lets play like Bolton. I'm saying that we already do play direct balls, whether that's to the front two from the back or from crosses and in my view we don't have someone at present that excels in that role, yet we play balls that a target man would thrive on. I'm thinking of away at Brentford the header that Leon missed, the header that Sharp just missed on Saturday,that went wide and McGoldrick v Reading this weekend.

Then there's the balls we play up to McGoldrick and/or Leon and neither hardly wins any. I'm not suggesting just as a plan B here either. Look what Mitrovic brought to Fulham last season and they played the best football in the league. OK, Gary Madine isn't Mitrovic but he would guess us real physical presence up there and it wouldn't mean changing the way we play. I'd prefer Michael Smith over Madine too, but Madine is an option.

I'm not saying lets play like Bolton. I'm saying that we already do play direct balls, whether that's to the front two from the back or from crosses and in my view we don't have someone at present that excels in that role, yet we play balls that a target man would thrive on. I'm thinking of away at Brentford the header that Leon missed, the header that Sharp just missed on Saturday,that went wide and McGoldrick v Reading this weekend.

Then there's the balls we play up to McGoldrick and/or Leon and neither hardly wins any. I'm not suggesting just as a plan B here either. Look what Mitrovic brought to Fulham last season and they played the best football in the league. OK, Gary Madine isn't Mitrovic but he would guess us real physical presence up there and it wouldn't mean changing the way we play. I'd prefer Michael Smith over Madine too, but Madine is an option.

Do we need someone better than we have, who fits our style of play? Or do we change our style of play to accommodate a different type of player, like a target man?
Discuss...

I'll probably get shot for this but I would love to see two new wing backs, maybe 1 if Johnson is any good but these two positions are arguably the most important in how we play and would love to see an upgrade , I ain't knocking Stevens, Baldock and Freeman they have been good for us I just think it's time to move on to the next level

Do we need someone better than we have, who fits our style of play? Or do we change our style of play to accommodate a different type of player, like a target man?
Discuss...

I'm not suggesting changing our style of play as I said before mate. I just think someone in that role would really be useful, either to start or as another option. In particular I'm suggesting we need someone to challenge Leon for the role Leon does because without Leon we have no one with any aerial presence and the ability to bring others into play I think would be a great option. I don't see Leon as a target man to be fair to Leon so I think bringing in a Madine type would be a good option, whilst still playing the good football we've become accustomed too,but in my view more chance of getting on the end of the crosses that we rarely convert as headers and also able to hold the ball up, as its not really Leon's or Billy's game.

Yep, it makes sense to me to get a target man in who can win headers and hold the ball up to bring others in to play.

It's called a plan B.

At the moment we are a bit too predictable if the original plan of trying to football to death teams, isn't working out for us. That said, plan A should always be the way to start though.

I'm greedy twat though when it comes to United, and i want us to have a plan C and a plan D as well (a proper winger and another number 10). The more options you have to break the opposition down, the more chance you have of winning. It's as simple as that really.

I think he would have to be really tall as .
Most of our crosses go straight over the box

I was thinking Tom Eaves could be worth a punt the other day.

As for Madine; he's a full weight cunt, so no fucking way!

I don't know Madine personally, obviously, but he seems to me to have grown up a bit based on how well he did at Bolton and I can't imagine Warnock would have signed him if he thought he was a bad egg, as Warnock always prides himself on good team spirit. It wasn't that long ago that we all said the same about Leon, and look what he's done for us. But there's plenty of options if we do go for a target man other than Madine. I

I don't know Madine personally, obviously, but he seems to me to have grown up a bit based on how well he did at Bolton and I can't imagine Warnock would have signed him if he thought he was a bad egg, as Warnock always prides himself on good team spirit. It wasn't that long ago that we all said the same about Leon, and look what he's done for us. But there's plenty of options if we do go for a target man other than Madine. I
No, he's still a full weight cunt I'm afraid.

There’s no reason why a target man needs to conflict with our style of play, we just need a target man who is more mobile than most of the names suggested here. Someone in the mould of Brian Deane would be good.......

Gerrit in t'mixer...

We spend all game working it down the wings and crossing it to 5ft nowt Billy Sharp and David McGoldrick who can't jump more than a foot off the ground.

Sometimes it's an inch perfect cross and someone gets on the end of it, but most of the time it comes to nothing. Big fuckers can turn average balls into the box into goals, and it really wouldn't fuck with the way we play whatsoever.

A big bastard would also help when we go into silly bollox panic mode during the last fifteen minutes of games.

Not Madine, surely? This would be like appointing Megson if / when Tufty leaves.

Madine is a fucking feral pig, a fucking disgusting specimen, an out and out fucking cunt.

I'd rather we re-signed fucking Marlon King than that piece of shit Madine.

Someone call an ambulance while I choke on my own vomit.

Back
Top Bottom