Tactical Error

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Don’t think so. There is the Coulibaly signing from Norway which comes via the network. Is CW open for influence in terms of which new players are brought in? I thought in the past it was an issue that CW did not allow the influence of JVW. Maybe that’s the reason Verrips was never given a proper chance? I am just guessing here but expected Verrips to be a good option, he was highly regarded in Belgium. I wonder if there is still any power play going on between CW and JVW.

Ramsdale is more than good enough give the Lad a chance

However if the choice was between keep Deano and have an extra 20 million to buy a top striker or sign ramsdale

I think we have made a mistake that money would have been better spent on a striker or even two

You can say ramsadle is good keeper but also say we would have been better off signing a striker for £20 million instead

There's a goalkeeper in the reserves at Southampton, if he'd be available I would have gone all out to sign him.

With a fee and wages, maybe over the Ramsdale deal, but, for the money, a much better goalkeeper.

I remember a few goals we conceded last season where I thought Henderson 'may have done better' or 'got to', as the ball went past him. Every keeper at some stage will let those types of goals in. And we all know he has a complete and utter bollock to drop in his locker. He isn't and wasn't the be-all-and-end-all.

Ramsdale is decent. There will be games this season where he'll make saves that will win us points.

Ramsdale is more than good enough give the Lad a chance

However if the choice was between keep Deano and have an extra 20 million to buy a top striker or sign ramsdale

I think we have made a mistake that money would have been better spent on a striker or even two

You can say ramsadle is good keeper but also say we would have been better off signing a striker for £20 million instead

That’s exactly my point

There's a goalkeeper in the reserves at Southampton, if he'd be available I would have gone all out to sign him.

With a fee and wages, maybe over the Ramsdale deal, but, for the money, a much better goalkeeper.
Really? The only decent keeper on Southampton's books is Alex McCarthy and he's first choice. Angus Gunn was last seen conceding 9 against Leicester (from 4.85xG including a penalty); Fraser Forster is also so good that he spent last season on loan to Celtic in the Scottish Conference and has this gem in his Wikipedia article: "[Forster's] indifferent form, however, continued into the new season, with mistakes against Manchester United, Newcastle and Brighton all resulting in Southampton dropping points during the early months in the league."

Fernandez from Levante is a good experienced goalie, vauled at 10 mio eur. Larsonneur from stade brest and ex France u21, valued at 6.5 mio eur. Every transfer is a gamble though. If money is tight I would sign a more affordable goalkeeper and put more money in goals and creativity. Only thing I find bizar looking at it from a distance. But in the end it can turn out ok. Football is a crazy game where a decision looks daft 1 week and spot on the next.

Disagree with the OP. We did riight not to pay for Henderson. It would have been great to keep him but not at that cost. We have signed an England U21 keeper and who had a great season last year by all accounts and i haven't seen one Bournemouth fan who wasn't sad to se him leave. I don't think he has been really to blame for any of the three goals. If anything defenders were more to blame. The understanding and communication between keeper and defence will improve in time as will Ramsdale - he is still very young for a goalie.
I don't like the toxic nature of what is happening with comments from some of our fans. The core of this team have done us proud for a few seasons now so how have they all just become useless according to some? Answer, they haven't!

Disagree with the OP. We did riight not to pay for Henderson. It would have been great to keep him but not at that cost. We have signed an England U21 keeper and who had a great season last year by all accounts and i haven't seen one Bournemouth fan who wasn't sad to se him leave. I don't think he has been really to blame for any of the three goals. If anything defenders were more to blame. The understanding and communication between keeper and defence will improve in time as will Ramsdale - he is still very young for a goalie.
I don't like the toxic nature of what is happening with comments from some of our fans. The core of this team have done us proud for a few seasons now so how have they all just become useless according to some? Answer, they haven't!

If Lundstram's penalty had gone in and by some miracle we'd scored a second the volume of comments suggesting that Ramsdale should have saved Konsa's header would have been far smaller.

I think we made an error in signing Ramsdale , we should have resigned Henderson yes 120k a week and appx 6 million for the year is a lot but don’t forget I bet Ramsdale is getting 40k a week 2 million a year then you add the transfer fee , we could of bought a Buendia type of player. We don’t seem to have many options other than our normal 3-5-2 system
I'd have gone for Ben Foster. I understand the logic in signing young players but sometimes experience is better, particularly for a goalie.

This is so true 👏🏻👏🏻 UTB ⚔️

If Lundstram's penalty had gone in and by some miracle we'd scored a second the volume of comments suggesting that Ramsdale should have saved Konsa's header would have been far smaller.

It’s all ‘ifs and buts’ though isn’t it. If we’d have scored 2 goals we’d have won 2-1. At the end of the day, you can only analyse what you’re seeing and I’m seeing a lack of goals and the fact he probably should be saving it, or at least getting a hand to it.

I'd have gone for Ben Foster. I understand the logic in signing young players but sometimes experience is better, particularly for a goalie.
Didn’t Foster sign a new contract back end of last season though? I’d have been happy for us to sign him but perhaps he wasn’t that bothered about joining us. Maybe at his age he’s settled and content to stay with Watford?

I think we made an error in signing Ramsdale , we should have resigned Henderson yes 120k a week and appx 6 million for the year is a lot but don’t forget I bet Ramsdale is getting 40k a week 2 million a year then you add the transfer fee , we could of bought a Buendia type of player. We don’t seem to have many options other than our normal 3-5-2 system
Are you still pining for your first ever girlfriend who dumped you for the good looking kid down the street? She isn't coming back he also has a bigger knob than you.

Really? The only decent keeper on Southampton's books is Alex McCarthy and he's first choice. Angus Gunn was last seen conceding 9 against Leicester (from 4.85xG including a penalty); Fraser Forster is also so good that he spent last season on loan to Celtic in the Scottish Conference and has this gem in his Wikipedia article: "[Forster's] indifferent form, however, continued into the new season, with mistakes against Manchester United, Newcastle and Brighton all resulting in Southampton dropping points during the early months in the league."

Sorry Balham Blade - if Wikipedia is the benchmark, you're not going to sway many folks with your argument.

Forster has International, European, EPL & SPL experience. He's won League titles and cup Finals .

the Scottish Conference cannot be that bad, can it? After all, where's Ramsdales understudy being playing this last few seasons?

Cost this year of Ramsdale = £18m/5 years = £3.6m + wages of say £40k a week = £2.08m TOTAL COST = £5.68m plus he's our player
Cost of Henderson this year = wages of (reportedly) £120k a week = £6.24m + loan fee of say £2m = £8.24m then he goes back to Man Utd and we have the same issue next summer.

It's cheaper to have Ramsdale than it is Henderson and he's an asset with future value.

We'll see Ramsdale for less than we bought him for, I'm predicting that now.

Sorry Balham Blade - if Wikipedia is the benchmark, you're not going to sway many folks with your argument.

Forster has International, European, EPL & SPL experience. He's won League titles and cup Finals .

the Scottish Conference cannot be that bad, can it? After all, where's Ramsdales understudy being playing this last few seasons?

Fraser Forster has all that experience yet is third choice behind a keeper who conceded 9 in a single game. Why's that?*

Joe Hart has more international experience, more European experience and more winner's medals. He was available on a free in the summer, by your yardstick we should have signed him.

Bringing Foderingham into your argument doesn't exactly help it either.

*A: he's a busted flush. Same as Hart.

Fraser Forster has all that experience yet is third choice behind a keeper who conceded 9 in a single game. Why's that?*

Joe Hart has more international experience, more European experience and more winner's medals. He was available on a free in the summer, by your yardstick we should have signed him.

Bringing Foderingham into your argument doesn't exactly help it either.

*A: he's a busted flush. Same as Hart.

Sometimes, a Manager and a player don't gel. Personalities clash. Nothing to do with match performances.
Hart's financial package was way out of United's wage structure, simple mathematics, that's why SUFC have signed Ramsdale and Fotheringham who's wages combined are still less than Hart's at Tottenham.

Explain why citing Foderingham in this argument about the ''Scottish Conference'' quote doesn't help?
Obviously Wilder doesn't think playing in the SPL is a problem, he's already signed two players who played there last season, but you do, as regards FF?

I've seen enough of the SPL and Scottish football and if you think Ramsdale could be the weak link, oh my.

Last edited:
Are you still pining for your first ever girlfriend who dumped you for the good looking kid down the street? She isn't coming back he also has a bigger knob than you.
You mean he’s a bigger knob than me the fucking muscle bound cockwomble.

Sorry, touched a nerve.

Sometimes, a Manager and a player don't gel. Personalities clash. Nothing to do with match performances.
Hart's financial package was way out of United's wage structure, simple mathematics, that's why SUFC have signed Ramsdale and Fotheringham who's wages combined are still less than Hart's at Tottenham.

Explain why citing Foderingham in this argument about the ''Scottish Conference'' quote doesn't help?
Obviously Wilder doesn't think playing in the SPL is a problem, he's already signed two players who played there last season, but you do, as regards FF?

I've seen enough of the SPL and Scottish football and if you think Ramsdale could be the weak link, oh my.

You do know that Forster is on >£60k, and possibly up to £100k, per week right? Double what Hart would have been on at Burnley and nearly 4 times what he's rumoured to be on at Spurs (who don't really pay big wages, by the way. Forster is not only crap, he's waaaay out of our wage structure.

Who's the second SPL player? Foderingham (cheap back up keeper) is one but none of Burke, Lowe, Bogle, Ramsdale or Ampadu played there last season. Burke did in 19/20, is that what you're referring to?

I get that you're a Celtic fan as well as United but the heart is overruling the head on this. Pulling on a Celtic jersey at some stage does not a good player make.

Finally, at which stage did I say I thought Ramsdale "could be the weak link"? I don't. He won't.

Balham Blade

Aye, Oliver Burke, last season, which was, I think 19-20.

I am Celtic-minded, so was my late father, but his allegiance was mostly to our mother. His love of Sheffield United
was evident, as was his nationalistic (republican, with a small r) tendencies.

The discussion we've had is hypothetical. Forster, in my opinion, if he'd been available, would have been a better signing than Ramsdale, and as football supporter with no bias, a far better goalkeeper than Foderingham. I cannot understand why he signed for SUFC as he openly stated he wanted to be no.1 wherever he went. With no domestic Cup matches until next year, he's going to have to hope Ramsdale doesn't live up to the £18m fee or he gets injured.

Forster was already to sign for Celtic, but as is the norm, his agent was onto Chelsea in their search for a goalkeeper. Unfortunately for him, it soon became clear that Lennon wasn't going to wait around, especially with this season being the 10IAR journey. There were shufflings, as with the Hart rumours, but FF's agent in the end got what he deserved, no signing for Celtic and his player still in the background at Southampton.

I watched last night, the SUFC spine doesn't seem to be as strong as it was last season. That's always the way I look at line-ups, no matter what formation. I do think that this year, Wilder has brought in players that are square pegs hoping to fit into round holes, Burke being the prime example. He's a like-for-like replacement for Robinson, but with more experience. One match though, difficult to judge, but he did play the full 90, but was that out of having no confidence with what was available?

Last note. One day, when Lennon goes and takes John Kennedy with him. I fully expect Celtic to announce the appointment of messrs Wilder & Knill. ☘☘☘☘☘

I think Ramsdale possibly should have done better, but let’s give the lad time. He’s an up and coming keeper and obviously Wilder rates him highly and he’s not got many wrong. Time will tell.

LYDON fair enough. We'll agree to disagree on Celtic but I fully agree that Foderingham doesn't appear to be an improvement on Moore.

I get the comment on United's spine but we lost a lynchpin after 12 minutes. We then sacrificed McGoldrick who's the key link between midfield and attack, particularly when the other forward is an on-the-shoulder speed merchant. There's hints of concern but I'm trying to avoid judgement until after the Fulham game at the earliest.

That said, lose to Dirty Leeds and the lot is going up.

Back
Top Bottom