Systems

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nagima

Reaction score
Taking a step back and looking at football overall there has been a considerable shift in the last 20 years to possession football. The question to be asked has it been more effective. Obviously Barcelona have been leading lights in this regard and have reaped rewards. But they also have had an exceptionally talented group of players which could have won using most tactics and formations.
Not all teams are effective in possession football and quite often it is pedestrian and risk adverse. Especially when looking at modern day wingers who pass backwards far too often.
For us the attacking wing backs have been beneficial up to now when combined with an overlapping centre back. But we all recognise that we are too slow getting crosses in and though effective last season we still only managed 39 goals in the league.
This season due both injuries and other teams preparation for our games our defence has been put under more pressure. This has been seen on the occasions of Egan getting caught out on earlier direct balls forward and the exploitation of space vacated by our wing backs.
In my view a change of philosophy is required. Next season we should go with 4411 formation. The key piece being proper wingers. By that I mean a return to the style of wingers of the past. Skilful and confident. Carry the ball and take on the defence with a bit more directness. This would create more opportunities. The deeper lying forward shuttling between midfield and attack. Driving in to the box at every opportunity.
So in essence I am advocating a more incisive strategy to create more chances that will hopefully bear fruit.
Once the strategy is set then we need to recruit for it. Obviously after this season we need new midfielders. Hopefully who we buy would be young and capable enough to improve to be effective at premier league level. Midfielders and wingers is what we need to buy. We have most of the rest .
Anyway that is my tuppence worth

I’d stick with the three at the back and wing backs. Revert to the Number 10 in midfield.

I think our defence, in their back three system, is our greatest asset and will dominate next season.

We have CB's who are better in a back 3, full backs who are better as wing backs, and 6 strikers. 2 up top and 3 at the back makes sense. That's why Wilder plays this system, and why he probably will continue with 3 at the back going forward.

A change to 4-4-2 or whatever will take a pretty big rebuild which, given the current circumstances, will be easier said than done. I think we'll go 3-4-1-2 next year and, if we have another disappointing season, then Wilder (or his replacement) will change it completely.

We have CB's who are better in a back 3, full backs who are better as wing backs, and 6 strikers. 2 up top and 3 at the back makes sense. That's why Wilder plays this system, and why he probably will continue with 3 at the back going forward.

A change to 4-4-2 or whatever will take a pretty big rebuild which, given the current circumstances, will be easier said than done. I think we'll go 3-4-1-2 next year and, if we have another disappointing season, then Wilder (or his replacement) will change it completely.
I can't understand why we would need to rebuild to change systems. Surely professional footballers should be able to play any system with the correct coaching and training.

well the way chris was talking this week very much doubt he will change the system and the only change i can see is going back to the floating number 10 again its all about finding the right man for that role

I don't buy into the idea that the system has suddenly stopped working or that our side would be fixed by a change of formation. We lost a huge player early on, we've barely been able to play the same defence two weeks running ever since, and players are making individual errors across the pitch. 442, 352, 433, 451, none of it matters if your centre back can't make a backpass or your central midfielder turns and hands the ball to the opposition at the halfway line. But we make that kind of mistake every week.

I don't buy into the idea that the system has suddenly stopped working or that our side would be fixed by a change of formation. We lost a huge player early on, we've barely been able to play the same defence two weeks running ever since, and players are making individual errors across the pitch. 442, 352, 433, 451, none of it matters if your centre back can't make a backpass or your central midfielder turns and hands the ball to the opposition at the halfway line. But we make that kind of mistake every week.
It's more of a long term philosophy I am proposing. Our system has served us well until now and we are struggling with injuries and form. What I am suggesting is a return over time to a more attack minded approach. Our system while effective does not create many scoring opportunities.

Back
Top Bottom