Suspension watch

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

blade67

Reaction score
After last night's game our discipline record looks as follows (according to Sky)

Basham 11 (although I think only 10 count as he had 2 in one game leading to another suspension). Has to go till the end of the season (14 games) to avoid a 3 game ban. Might be tricky for the lad.

I'm not sure what happens if we qualify for the play offs and his 15th yellow is on the final day.
Does he miss the play offs?

Norwood 8 - has to navigate 5 games to avoid a 2 games suspension
Egan 7
Steven 7

All others have 5 or less so need to avoid being booked in every game to have a problem with 10 card cut off at 37 matches.

After last night's game our discipline record looks as follows (according to Sky)

Basham 11 (although I think only 10 count as he had 2 in one game leading to another suspension). Has to go till the end of the season (14 games) to avoid a 3 game ban. Might be tricky for the lad.

I'm not sure what happens if we qualify for the play offs and his 15th yellow is on the final day.
Does he miss the play offs?

Norwood 8 - has to navigate 5 games to avoid a 2 games suspension
Egan 7
Steven 7

All others have 5 or less so need to avoid being booked in every game to have a problem with 10 card cut off at 37 matches.

Yes, if he gets his 15th yellow at Stoke, and we end up in the play offs, he would miss both legs of the semi and the final.

All these cards I thought we must be the least disciplined team in the division which shocked me, so a quick look revealed:

Worst = Forest 77 yellows, 2 so for bookable offences, 3 straight red

Ave = Blades 57 yellows, 1 so for bookable offences, 0 red

Best = Swansea 32 yellows, 1 straight red

What a pathetic archaic rule it is as well. Went out of date a decade a go, needs to be scrapped.
Especially with all the stupid bookings that get handed out these days. If they must have it, it needs changing to higher numbers to reflect that. Should also be able to appeal for yellows to be rescinded like with straight reds- dont care if it means loads of extra work for the authorities; it might make them raise the appalling, inconsistent reffing standards.

We have got adequate cover now for every position, obviously preferable not to get any suspensions, but the lads have to play every game fully committed, and not worry about picking up a card. Having said that, it would be disappointing to miss games for, taking shirts off, kicking balls away etc. which is something that we don't tend to do under our glorious management.

Thought Norwood had 9?

Came up on Sky as 8 when he was booked. Hope he doesn't get booked in both the next two games, we need him against the pigs.

Whoscored also reckons 8 for Norwood. Next cut-off is after 37 games (5 more games) so there's a fair chance that, Norwood aside, we won't have anyone else suspended for the rest of the season (for yellows, at least).

upload_2019-2-14_8-50-32.png

Bannan's on 13. Don't rate him particularly but wouldn't mind him getting a couple more before we play them.

So there is a cut off of 37 games for 10 yellows but no cut off of games for players to get to 15? Hope I read that right?

Yes, if he gets his 15th yellow at Stoke, and we end up in the play offs, he would miss both legs of the semi and the final.

See this thread https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/suspension-watch.69486/ ;)

We're past the cut-off for 5 yellow cards leading to a suspension. If any players get to 10 yellows by 37 games then they get a suspension, otherwise it's 15 yellows before the end of the season.

Norwood is on 8 so would need to be booked in both of the next two games to miss the Wednesday game.

Stevens and Egan are on 7, no one else has more than 5 (apart from Basham of course).

Do cards rollover into the play-offs?

E.g Bash picks up his 15th in the semi final - does he then miss the final?

We'll I've checked all 4 corners inside and out, and watched it for hours, and guess what......fuck all, not even a blink.

We have got adequate cover now for every position, obviously preferable not to get any suspensions, but the lads have to play every game fully committed, and not worry about picking up a card. Having said that, it would be disappointing to miss games for, taking shirts off, kicking balls away etc. which is something that we don't tend to do under our glorious management.

Mr Madine was very fortunate to escape a booking for launching the ball into the Kop when it was already out. Looked like there were some muppets in the stand who wouldn’t give it back as well.

I’m all for time wasting when the ball is in play, but no need for that.

Norwood seems to 'take one gor the team' every game now where it's often the case there was no need.

Mr Madine was very fortunate to escape a booking for launching the ball into the Kop when it was already out. Looked like there were some muppets in the stand who wouldn’t give it back as well.

I’m all for time wasting when the ball is in play, but no need for that.

This is football and, although not stated anywhere in the rules, referees are for some reason obligated to give players more than the benefit of the doubt for the most blatant of infractions. There is at least a 0.001% chance Madine's momentum from trying to keep the ball in caused him to kick it and thus the ref can't book him. Same for when there's a free kick and a player passes the ball to where the free kick should be taken, and an opposition player accidentally sticks his foot out to stop the ball. Sure, the rules say it's a booking for "delaying the restart of play", but you can't just go around enforcing the rules in football.

Yellow cards don't carry over to play off matches so Bash has to make sure he doesn't get another 5 before the last game against Stoke.

Norwood now looks good for the season, need 6 from 9 to be in trouble again
Basham, however now 11 (qualifying) yellows. I think his second yellow v Blackburn doesn't count as he got suspended for it already.

He can only afford 3 more in 9 games, and knowing Basham, he'll sail close to that. May need resting at times so he doesn't trigger a 3 game suspension that would effectively end his season

Overall we've been pretty good this year so far

Basham has missed 4 games
Madine will miss 3

Is it worth appealing Madine’s? I can’t see it being overturned but feel there’s little chance of it being extended for doing so? Might be worth a gamble.

Is it worth appealing Madine’s? I can’t see it being overturned but feel there’s little chance of it being extended for doing so? Might be worth a gamble.

What case would we be making? Studs up, foot off the ground, from behind, nowhere near the ball. If we appealed I’d expect an extension for a frivolous ban – and we will need him in our remaining games. I don’t think I’ve been as annoyed about a sending off since Beattie’s at Exeter 7 years ago. That was another in a nothing area of the pitch where a striker made a challenge that may have looked initially harsh to some but then on the replay a clear red. The annoyance was doubled knowing Beattie did that when we were already down to the bare bones for options up front, and missed all 3 games in the playoffs as a result. This is different, but we will still miss him in these upcoming games as we’re inevitably going to have situations in games where he’s an asset.

8B1F0B20-7CEF-4A50-8233-5E97B07C80BC.jpeg

What case would we be making? Studs up, foot off the ground, from behind, nowhere near the ball. If we appealed I’d expect an extension for a frivolous ban – and we will need him in our remaining games. I don’t think I’ve been as annoyed about a sending off since Beattie’s at Exeter 7 years ago. That was another in a nothing area of the pitch where a striker made a challenge that may have looked initially harsh to some but then on the replay a clear red. The annoyance was doubled knowing Beattie did that when we were already down to the bare bones for options up front, and missed all 3 games in the playoffs as a result. This is different, but we will still miss him in these upcoming games as we’re inevitably going to have situations in games where he’s an asset.

View attachment 50758

I admit it looked a red to me at the time but I hadn’t seen it back. Lots on here suggesting it wasn’t but my view wasn’t the best.

Back
Top Bottom