Sunderland v Sheffield United - 09/09/2017

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not_a_Cheat

Reaction score
Back in action at last after the international break, and this afternoon another tough test away at Sunderland. Both sides should be fresh and both have added players on transfer deadline day. Although we do seem to be having a mounting injury list, the new additions should be able to slot in as capable replacements. Sunderland have not won in September since 2012, and not won at home since December 2016. However as we rarely score when we play them away, and not yet scored away this season, it does look like a very difficult time to change the tide of our only one win our last 8 visits, 7 of those being defeats......

Anyway...

Any team news? :)

Presumably Donaldson slotting straight into the team?

Heneghan likewise?

And CCV has presumably not come here just to sit on the bench?

How will and how should we line up?

If we manage a bright start the disgruntled locals could go a long way to doing our job for us. It might only be 5 games in, but they need to get their season back on track, and will be expecting to be finishing in a play off spot at the very least. Pundits and opposing fans may have a slightly different opinion, but they've made some good signings and we will have to be on our game today to get anything out of it. We will find it difficult, but if we can avoid going a goal down in the first 20 minutes, then I'm going for a brave prediction of a 2-0 Blades victory. I hope so at least....

Safe journey Bladesmen (and women) and I hope we put on a display we can all be proud of...

UTB

Point would be nice, these are up there with the favourites come the end of the season.. anything is great stuff..

Good time to play them with the new signings still bedding in. I think we can win but will need a goal before 70 mins before we start running out of steam up top. Sharp will need bringing off at this point with an eye on the Bolton game Tuesday. Draw would be a good result then 3 points Tuesday ! Is Hanson fit by the way ?

I really do think we will best these. All the pressure on them. COYRAWW

COYRAWW!!!!!

hoping for a proper win today, I predicted 2-1 blades but I'm praying for 3 or 4!!
Also want the new signings to show their worth n prove they deserve to wear the shirt!

I'm struggling to be as confident as many on here about a positive result today and would be delighted with a point. Ok, Sunderland are low on confidence and will be under pressure but we have only played well at home so far and this needs to change. No goals or points so far away concerns me although I do believe that we will improve as the season progresses, hopefully starting today. UTB!!

Heneghan likewise?

Yeah, no doubt Heneghan and CCV will be thrown straight in with those who did so well against Derby dropping out, because that's how Wilder does things isn't it.

Back in action at last after the international break, and this afternoon another tough test away at Sunderland. Both sides should be fresh and both have added players on transfer deadline day. Although we do seem to be having a mounting injury list, the new additions should be able to slot in as capable replacements. Sunderland have not won in September since 2012, and not won at home since December 2016. However as we rarely score when we play them away, and not yet scored away this season, it does look like a very difficult time to change the tide of our only one win our last 8 visits, 7 of those being defeats......

Anyway...

Heneghan likewise?

How will and how should we line up?

If we manage a bright start the disgruntled locals could go a long way to doing our job for us. It might only be 5 games in, but they need to get their season back on track, and will be expecting to be finishing in a play off spot at the very least. Pundits and opposing fans may have a slightly different opinion, but they've made some good signings and we will have to be on our game today to get anything out of it. We will find it difficult, but if we can avoid going a goal down in the first 20 minutes, then I'm going for a brave prediction of a 2-0 Blades victory. I hope so at least....

Safe journey Bladesmen (and women) and I hope we put on a display we can all be proud of...

UTB

Sunderland have started poorly, drawing at home with Derby in one of the most uninspiring opening games of the season, losing at home 2-0 to Leeds and getting thrashed 3-0 at Barnsley. They were good enough to get a draw at Hillsborough though and had a surprising win at Norwich. As usual, the pundits tipped them to do well because they have just come down from the Premiership and are a big club. This counts for nothing.

The stat above about them not winning in September since 2012 is a total irrelevance, it is not even the same set of players we are talking about for a start, and the idea that one month of the year may be particularly unlucky for them makes no sense at all. The one about them not winning at home since December 2016 is more relevant, because we are largely talking about the same group of players although this is based on them playing mainly Premiership teams since then.

The only relevant indicator of what to expect is recent form. And you have to look beyond the actual results, because results may not always indicate the performance of the team. By all accounts Sunderland are not playing very well at all. I honestly don't see any reason not to expect us to get a result up there - a draw at the very least, but more likely a win.

Donaldson will be straight in the team - that's a no brainer. He will partner Sharp up front. Heneghan will not be in the team. He may make the bench if he's lucky, but Wilder has said he'll need to earn his place in the side and I doubt very much whether we'll disrupt the present back three to find room for him yet. Same with CCV - he'll definitely make the squad, but unless there's some injury to Freeman, he won't make the starting eleven.

I don't think any game is easy, but let's not start getting nervous about teams like Sunderland because these are exactly the type of games we should be going to, given our current form and theirs, and expecting to get 3 points.

Was hooping to watch this one on I follow but had a mates birthday and it was shit so I drink lots and now I'm doubtful that I'll be able to watch before i pass out but I'll try me best xx

A fast start away from home Please, no sitting back showing them too much respect

Evans on the bench!?!??

Thought he was crocked...

I'm suffering from vertigo looking down onto the ground!

Yeah seems strange, maybe he can do the last 20 mins but not fit enough to start. I also thought he needed an operation ?
Maybe he does, but there's no way that'll be happening now Clarke and Lavery are both out as well. We'll just have him limp on for the foreseeable until we can afford to let him go and do what's needed to get him fully fit

Back
Top Bottom