Stubbornness? Not the master tactician we thought he was?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

that's what i mean about the tactician part - why did he not sign players who allowed us to change to a plan B? we rely on a 32 year old david mcgoldrick to be the person to unlock the defences - why didnt we sign john swift
Been injured most of the season not sure if he was fit before the season started.

There are 2 or 3 plan b's.

They've been used but are proving to be no more effective than plan A

Going to get cruicified for questioning Chris of course - clearly not allowed

However - At the start of the league one season, Wilder knew something wasn't working. He had to change something, he couldn't just sit on it and carry on losing. 5 games in, he decided it needed to change at Gillingham.

We are now 9 games in, scored 4 goals and got one point against struggling Fulham - which was incredibly lucky due to the fact that it wasn't even a pen.

For how much longer is he going to keep this formation? For how much longer is he just gunna keep it as it is?

He signed the players we have, he only signed those players who can play in our current 3-5-2 formation. He should have signed players who we could play in case we needed to play more attacking, in case we needed to play with out and out wingers.

For how much longer are we going to keep this up?

However - At the start of the league one season, Wilder knew something wasn't working. He had to change something, he couldn't just sit on it and carry on losing. 5 games in, he decided it needed to change at Gillingham.

We are now 9 games in, scored 4 goals and got one point against struggling Fulham - which was incredibly lucky due to the fact that it wasn't even a pen.

For how much longer is he going to keep this formation? For how much longer is he just gunna keep it as it is?

He signed the players we have, he only signed those players who can play in our current 3-5-2 formation. He should have signed players who we could play in case we needed to play more attacking, in case we needed to play with out and out wingers.

He has never been a great mid game tactician for me. He makes the same change every time, usually too late - midfielder off, striker on, Didzy dropping back into midfield. Then a defender comes off for a midfielder. Teams just know what’s coming.

He’s a brilliant manager with a squad of mostly not brilliant players though and we played well today I thought.

and that was a penalty vs Fulham. If you play the man after he’s played the ball, it’s a penalty.

you are quoting me quoting someone else fella. for some reason it is quoting you but not showing your post.

the quote of "where's the 3-5-2 ?, i am seeing 5-3-1-1" - the person appears to have deleted their comment

1606127659790.png

Last edited:
We arrived at the summer needing to replace league 1 standard backup with something better. The idea we should have spent limited money on Premiership quality footballers who would be nothing more than a tactical option is fanciful.

We needed creativity in midfield and better forwards. The ones we already had could then have become back ups. That's how other teams do it, and it's also how Wilder has done it.

We needed creativity in midfield and better forwards. The ones we already had could then have become back ups. That's how other teams do it, and it's also how Wilder has done it.

The post I was replying to was suggesting we should have bought players to be options for tactical change. That’s just a nice-to-have for a club that had no worthwhile cover in key positions.

I’d have loved us to sign more creativity and goal power. But in a market where the best championship players cost over 20m, and we can’t pay wages for established prem players, my only major gripe is that the loan market might have been better exploited.

theres frustration rife in the squad as we are creating plenty of clear cut chances
we could and should have scored at least 3 or 4 yesterday

were we getting clonked and creating nothing we could blame Wilder
But there were opportunities to win yesterday by a mile

think mc Burnie needs to see an exorcist as he has someone somewhere sticking pins in a voodoo doll

We've just had our "As good as it gets season"

In 40 - 50 years somebody else somewhere will get a team of non descript nobodies with zero creative ability to perform miles above themselves for a season or two.

Then the Grandchildren can have their 'As good as it gets season" as well

Marvellous innit
Very true. And all the ones on here can tell their grandkids that when we had our as good as it gets season they were stomping their feet and crying for the manager to be sacked at the first sign of trouble.

The post I was replying to was suggesting we should have bought players to be options for tactical change. That’s just a nice-to-have for a club that had no worthwhile cover in key positions.

I’d have loved us to sign more creativity and goal power. But in a market where the best championship players cost over 20m, and we can’t pay wages for established prem players, my only major gripe is that the loan market might have been better exploited.

not getting one more loan looks terrible now.

Very true. And all the ones on here can tell their grandkids that when we had our as good as it gets season they were stomping their feet and crying for the manager to be sacked at the first sign of trouble.

No, they were doing that during the worst start the club has had in its 131 year history.

not getting one more loan looks terrible now.

No, they were doing that during the worst start the club has had in its 131 year history.
Ye or the first real rough patch of Wilder's time. Call it what you want

lmfao. That's the one single thing he's actually done since he came in. anonymous for the first three games. "he was against the best teams in the league" regardless. he didn't even press or put himself about.

Whatever happened to giving the lad a chance, he's a young lad in a new team that's bottom of the league, we aren't renowned for giving strikers multiple chances to score per game yet here we are thinking this lads gonna keep us up..!!

Had we signed Jamie Vardy and you made that comment about him I might just might struggle to agree with you after 3 games. Ffs..

And I'd be embarrassed to quote that he struggled against the top three sides we just played.. We're all upset mate, but have a word with yourself.

Whatever happened to giving the lad a chance, he's a young lad in a new team that's bottom of the league, we aren't renowned for giving strikers multiple chances to score per game yet here we are thinking this lads gonna keep us up..!!

Had we signed Jamie Vardy and you made that comment about him I might just might struggle to agree with you after 3 games. Ffs..

And I'd be embarrassed to quote that he struggled against the top three sides we just played.. We're all upset mate, but have a word with yourself.
Struggling due to quality I can accept, but he didn't even look to harass or do any form of pressing. Ability or lack of being on the same wavelength I can tolerate, but it's no excuse just to jog about not getting involved.

We've just had our "As good as it gets season"

In 40 - 50 years somebody else somewhere will get a team of non descript nobodies with zero creative ability to perform miles above themselves for a season or two.

Then the Grandchildren can have their 'As good as it gets season" as well

Marvellous innit
Without wishing to join in any bashing as such I do think this is Sheffield United.

For some reason we seem to be one of the very few medium size clubs who won't achieve anything better than reaching the top flight for a brief spell or a cup semi every so often in a century.

No idea why but whilst our regular expectations have no right to be high, you would expect a club our stature to have had at least one or two greater highs in such a long time.

I suppose it's a badge of honour for a few.

Struggling due to quality I can accept, but he didn't even look to harass or do any form of pressing. Ability or lack of being on the same wavelength I can tolerate, but it's no excuse just to jog about not getting involved.

Mate I'd have the system the other way around, I'd have brewster deeper and oli mc trying to play him in. The longer this goes on for mcburnie the more nervous he's gonna get, If you ask me who's gone score next I'd go for fleck, berge, or brewster..

Macburnie, his lack of finishing will take us down if it carries on for 5 more games..

Mate I'd have the system the other way around, I'd have brewster deeper and oli mc trying to play him in. The longer this goes on for mcburnie the more nervous he's gonna get, If you ask me who's gone score next I'd go for fleck, berge, or brewster..

Macburnie, his lack of finishing will take us down if it carries on for 5 more games..
Yep. MCB isn't a target man, so shouldn't be used as such, but similar to you, I'd have Brewster pushing in behind with MCB linking the midfield and strikers. I mean, I'd much rather we went back to a 10 but it's not going to happen.

In terms of formation, we're a bit boxed in really but I think there are tweaks he can make but I don't believe we can fundamentally change how we play.

I just can't see how we could play 4 at the back. I don't think our CBs are good enough or suit that style. Egan gets caught by long balls and doesn't have the pace. I don't think JOC would be good enough in a flat back 4, but certainly no one else we have is.

I would play two holding midfielders and push the wingbacks on. The main issue we've had this season is that opposition manager have pushed players on to the wingbacks and stopped them getting forward. They're our most dangerous weapons.

If you play Fleck and Norwood sitting and push Sander on a bit, as long as you have McGoldrick on (just behind McBurnie) then there's a good chance to link it all up.

--------------------Ramsdale
--------Basham-----Egan-----Ampadu
--------------Norwood---Fleck
Baldock---------------------------Stevens
--------------------Berge
-------------McGoldrick
--------------------------McBurnie

The problem for me is in midfield. I'm not convinced Norwood would be quick enough to cover. We're a player short, especially with Lunny.
Formations win nothing
Players win games

It's not the system that's the problem, it's the players signed to play in it. Wilders record at spending decent money is shocking. Only Berge looks remotely worth what we paid for him, and since he's been shoehorned into the side we don't look the same. We should have signed cover for JOC, and a creative midfielder, instead we spent over £20 million on a kid who isn't ready for the Premier league, and £8 million on a right back who's been seen less that Lord Lucan.
I couldn't agree more. That post sums up the position perfectly. I have said it in an earlier post and I will repeat it. At the start of last season the two stand outs were Henderson and Mouset. One on loan and the other 10 million from Bournemouth. I believe there is a reluctance to look at those ageing players that bring experience and if on a free transfer surely that would offset the potential wages. We have signed for the future but the danger if we drop is that some of that future potential may depart. It is all about getting the balance right and I'm afraid the balance is all wrong.

Also, if this was true then how come did we start winning after changing from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 under Wilder?
442,433,352 what does that mean.... play the ball forward when we have the ball wide deliver into the box forward players can only make one run two at the most look to play the ball forward into strikers early so they have time and space to work otherwise defender will go skin tight with them

He’s tried to hammer a very large (Sander Berge shaped) square peg into a very precise round hole.

Back
Top Bottom