Strikers sign some

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FallowfieldBlade

The Names Blade Fallowfield Blade
Reaction score
Looks like no big striker signing , if there’s one position we need it’s strikers we needed that more than signing berge in January and we need that more than cash/Burke/swift

Surely we can’t be letting Robinson go aswell if we’re not spending on a marquee striker signing

Sharp isn’t good enough moussett can’t be 100% relied on didz is great but he’s 33

We’ve only got mcburnie as a long term definite striker Option

Yes the prince has spent money on paying McCabe and Covid has hit match day revenue

But we are guaranteed TV money for the next what 4/5 years to not sign a proper striker would be criminal if we don’t

Standing stil in the premier league is going backwards

My guess is we will get a striker on loan, but i dont want the agony of falling in love with a player who isnt ours.

My guess is we will get a striker on loan, but i dont want the agony of falling in love with a player who isnt ours.

The other issue, is that if a striker does come in & do well for us at this level then there's very little chance we'd be able to afford to buy him at the end of his spell.

But I guess a short-term solution is better than no solution.

tenor.gif

We'll be ok. A loan wouldn't be a terrible option this summer. Some very average strikers are going to go for silly money this window to those more desperate for 1 than us. McBurnie will be our main man and I think he'll kick on again next season. Supported by McGoldrick, Mousset and a loan would be good, and Sharp here and there.

Giving Sharp and McGoldrick new contracts was a sign

A "sign"of what ?
Perhaps that we value then as squad / back up players & who are more than comfortable / settled / committed at the club and for who we would have to pay significant transfer funds to secure equivalents
Overall allowing us to concentrate (any) transfer monies on someone more likely to be 1st pick

A "sign"of what ?
Perhaps that we value then as squad / back up players & who are more than comfortable / settled / committed at the club and for who we would have to pay significant transfer funds to secure equivalents
Overall allowing us to concentrate (any) transfer monies on someone more likely to be 1st pick

that we weren't going to spend money on a decent striker we have been crying out for

We have to accept that although we finished 9th last season, we are not an established PL club yet. We are going through an interim period where our main objective is to survive in the league year on year with restricted finances compared to many other clubs. We had to rely on a loan between the sticks to help keep our goal against figure down to one of the lowest in the league. We have now been able to buy Ramsgate who will be hopefully on par with Henderson. CW is now trying to strengthen the depth of the squad with some solid yet affordable signings. If it means we need to get in a loan striker or two with some pedigree with no chance of signing for us on a permanent then I would be more than happy.
If we are still in this league in 2 or 3 years time, we will then be in a position to compete with the 'big boys ' and spending £30m £40m £50m + on strikers earning top wages will become the norm.
I think we just need to be patient and let CW and the Prince steer us through these exciting and challenging times.

Looks like no big striker signing , if there’s one position we need it’s strikers we needed that more than signing berge in January and we need that more than cash/Burke/swift

Surely we can’t be letting Robinson go aswell if we’re not spending on a marquee striker signing

Sharp isn’t good enough moussett can’t be 100% relied on didz is great but he’s 33

We’ve only got mcburnie as a long term definite striker Option

Yes the prince has spent money on paying McCabe and Covid has hit match day revenue

But we are guaranteed TV money for the next what 4/5 years to not sign a proper striker would be criminal if we don’t

Standing stil in the premier league is going backwards
So, I've checked Transfermarkt website; the following are currently out of contract:

Wayne Allison
Carl Asaba
Neil Shipperley
Steve Kabba
Dean Windass
Patrick Suffo
Carl Veart
Tony Agana

We should sign AND regularly play at least 4 of these, if not all.

I am not saying that we shouldn't look for more firepower, because what club doesn't want to score more, but I am convinced that if we can get Mousset fully up to speed then he will get us 15 goals. McBurnie should partner him, as he is only going to get better too. Both have shown that they can cause problems and score at this level, and that's the pairing going forward for me.

Get a pacy young striker on loan, and with McG and Sharp in reserve I think we will be ok, especially if the midfield can score a few like they did last season too. We won't be banging in 3 a game, but it's a progression and with our defence we won't need to anyway.

Just out of interest, which of our strikers are people expecting to register fewer goals next season?
  • Sharp - another year older, unlikely to get as many minutes so will likely score fewer goals
  • McGoldrick - very unlikely to be as wasteful as last season. If he gets the same sort of chances, he should score more than two.
  • Moussett - If he's fit enough to play more minutes, he should score more than six. Fitness is the key.
  • McBurnie - Can be a bit streaky form-wise but at worse, he should be scoring a similar amount to last year as he gets more used to playing within our system and a better understanding of his role
The goals I'm most concerned about losing are those that Lunny chipped in with. However, our centre-backs underperformed in front of goal last year so if this can be improved, it could make up this deficit.

Why the despondency ?
We have much the same team that enabled us to comfortably survive our first season and we are seeking more to add to that.
As far as I can see no teams below us have signed “better” players yet, so I don’t have any concerns.
In the unlikely event that we reach mid October with the same squad then I would worry, but that simply will not happen.
We aren’t progressing because we have a magic fairy, but because we have excellent management throughout the Club. Let them get on with the job.

Just out of interest, which of our strikers are people expecting to register fewer goals next season?
  • Sharp - another year older, unlikely to get as many minutes so will likely score fewer goals
  • McGoldrick - very unlikely to be as wasteful as last season. If he gets the same sort of chances, he should score more than two.
  • Moussett - If he's fit enough to play more minutes, he should score more than six. Fitness is the key.
  • McBurnie - Can be a bit streaky form-wise but at worse, he should be scoring a similar amount to last year as he gets more used to playing within our system and a better understanding of his role
The goals I'm most concerned about losing are those that Lunny chipped in with. However, our centre-backs underperformed in front of goal last year so if this can be improved, it could make up this deficit.

I'm broadly confident that Sander will get a good number of goals next seasn.

I think the problem we had much of the time last season was chance creation/having bodies in the box. Didzy dropped too deep lots of time and Billy loves running the channels. We create overloads out wide and have three midfielders; there's no real reason that we shouldn't have two players in the box in attacking positions.

So, we fuck 'em off & sign which 3 "decent" forwards

Well yh because we need to score more goals. We missed a lot of chances that a top striker would score. As much as i like them both they are not premier league quality and won't take us to the next level

We have to accept that although we finished 9th last season, we are not an established PL club yet. We are going through an interim period where our main objective is to survive in the league year on year with restricted finances compared to many other clubs. We had to rely on a loan between the sticks to help keep our goal against figure down to one of the lowest in the league. We have now been able to buy Ramsgate who will be hopefully on par with Henderson. CW is now trying to strengthen the depth of the squad with some solid yet affordable signings. If it means we need to get in a loan striker or two with some pedigree with no chance of signing for us on a permanent then I would be more than happy.
If we are still in this league in 2 or 3 years time, we will then be in a position to compete with the 'big boys ' and spending £30m £40m £50m + on strikers earning top wages will become the norm.
I think we just need to be patient and let CW and the Prince steer us through these exciting and challenging times.

We got 132 million pound last season and are guaranteed £100 million every season we stay in the prem

Not signing a quality striker for say 15/20 million may be the difference we go down

Back
Top Bottom