Starting XI as it stands (ongoing thread)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

My guess at the Bournemouth line up would be

Hendo if he ever comes
Freeman Jags Egan Jack Enda
Freeman Norwood Morrison
Mousset Robinson

I am sure, Wilder is looking at having different tactical options, but I think essentially he will be looking to start with our regular system. He has mentioned playing with either 2 strikers, or a striker and a '10', by 10 I think he means a McGoldrick/Robinson, not a Duffy/Freeman. I can also see him going with Robinson in the 'Duffy' role, (whatever number we want to assign to that) away from home, in the same way Dowell was used last season. But, I really feel, with whatever tweaks he has in mind, it will be 2 forwards on the pitch. It will be interesting too see what he has in mind for Mousset and Robinson, within that system, as they both like to roam and cut in from wide areas.

I would go for this matchday 1. If we sign McBurnie he could replace either Mousset or McGoldrick, but I think McGoldrick is good to have in the squad just because he exactly knows how to play. That's why I would pick this line up over Freeman as AM and Mousset - Robinson as striker duo.

Freeman is a class act, but I’m not sure where he fits in initially with our formation. I thought he’d play behind the strikers but he looked a bit lost against Betis, if we play a flat 3 in midfield I have no doubt he’ll start.

I can’t see him dropping fleck but we’ll see.
Can you really make that judgement based on the first pre-season friendly and his first game in a United shirt?

Can you really make that judgement based on the first pre-season friendly and his first game in a United shirt?
No, I can start to get an idea after watching him in 4 games though. He’s a very good player and good players find their own position.

Update after the Burton game

Henderson
Jags - Egan - O'Connell
Baldock - Norwood - Fleck - Stevens
Duffy
Robinson-McGoldrick

Bench: Moore - Basham - Morrison - Sharp - L Freeman - K Freeman - Lumdstram

Sounds like at least 4 more to come in, so this will change dramatically. Duffy still ahead of Freeman IMO based on what I've seen so far
Update after Barnsley

Henderson
Basham - Egan - JOC
Baldock - Norwood - Fleck - Stevens
L Freeman
Robinson - McGoldrick

Bench : Moore - Jags - Osborn - Sharp - Lundstram - Mousett - Duffy

Not in match day squad = K Freeman, Stearman, Morrison, Bryan, Clarke

Thought Basham and Freeman both did well, I still think that Jags will have the shirt off Basham at some point. Not seen Mousett yet and Morison could easily have the sub slot off Duffy before 10th August. Sounds like Wilder wants 2 more signings as well, so there will be a decent side not involved if no one moves out.

Hendo

Basham Egan JOC

Baldock Norwood Fleck Stevens

Freeman

Sharp Robinson

Subs;
Moore
Jagielka
Osborn
Lundstram
Morrison
Mousett
McGoldrick

For me as it stands

Henderson
Bash Egan JOC
Freeman
Robinson Sharp

Jags could have a shout in defence over Bash, McBurnie if we sign him would be pushing but I think it'd be a couple of games before he started.

Sharp and Robinson look the best pairing up front at the moment.

Very strong bench with Osborn, McG, Jags/Bash, Ravel, possibly Duffy on there along with Mousset and our other striker, hopefully McBurnie.

Henderson

Basham Egan O’Connell
Baldock Stevens
Norwood Fleck
Freeman
Robinson
Sharp

Anyone without McGoldrick in the starting 11 needs to get a better grip about the football.

He is our best option to start the season in the 10 position. There is no doubt about that.

Henderson
Basham Egan O'Connell
McGoldrick
Sharp Robinson

Subs: Moore, Jagielka, Osborn, Lundstram, Ravel, L.Freeman, Mousset

Henderson
Baldock Basham Egan O’Connell Stevens
Fleck Norwood
Freeman/Osborn
Robinson Sharp/Mousset

Moore,Jags,Morrison,Lundstram,McGoldrick,Freeman/Osborn,Sharp/Mousset

———————Henderson————————
——Basham———Egan————JOC———
Baldock——————————————Stevens
————-Norwood———-Fleck——————
———————L Freeman————————-
————Didsy———————Robinson———

Subs- Moore Jags Lundstram Osborn Morrison Sharp Mousset

Be interesting if we sign McBurnie which striker Chris leaves off the bench.

Bournemouth are a team we must not lose to so a Leeds/WBA type defensive lineup with Lundstrum for Dowell. Bring the new attack on when needed.

I think OM is a certainty to sign now so I will go with

Hendo

Bash
Egan
Joc

Baldock
Stevens

Norwood
Fleck

Robinson

Sharp
McBurnie

Subs to come on:
Morrison
Freeman
Lundsrum or Jags (when we're 2-0 up with 10 to go :) )

The back five and midfield picks itself
The front three including acm should be this

Mcburnie
Robinson.
Mcgoldrick

With mousett able to come in to make it a 3-4-2-1
Or a more traditional front three

Anyone without McGoldrick in the starting 11 needs to get a better grip about the football.

He is our best option to start the season in the 10 position. There is no doubt about that.

Henderson
Basham Egan O'Connell
McGoldrick
Sharp Robinson

Thats the team I'd go with. I want to win the game as its a 6 pointer. 3-4-1-2 is the way to win games. 3-5-1-1 is a defensive slow cautious approach which will bog down Fleck and Norwood in midfield.

6 pages of team selections and only 1 suggests starting with Lundstram and thats to avoid defeat. You just know that the team that started against Barnsley if JOC is not fit will start against Bournemouth. If he's fit that will be the only change.

Henderson
Basham Egan O'Connell
McGoldrick
Sharp Robinson

Agree. For home games anyway.

Likely to lose 1 of the front 3 for a DM.

And don’t be surprised if Jags nails down the RCB role when we are against the better sides.

UTB

I’ve got to be honest with you and I’m not going to lie, I haven’t got a scooby doo who our starting 2 or 3 players in the attacking positions will be. With McBurnie looking like he’s also coming in, anyone off form up that end of the pitch and they’ve seriously fucked it, great times to be a blade.

Probably a little harsh on Enda, but dont think we leave Freeman out of starting XI. Also based on Mcburnie coming in... if not Robinson moves to number 10 and Didzy comes in at AM.

View attachment 58635

Probably a little harsh on Enda, but dont think we leave Freeman out of starting XI. Also based on Mcburnie coming in... if not Robinson moves to number 10 and Didzy comes in at AM.
That’s way too unbalanced mate, I don’t know much about who will play our first game but I’d bet my mortgage on Stevens and Fleck both starting.

Got to be Sharp and Robbo up front I reckon, they've got a good understanding, McBurnie on the bench if he signs.

Freezy and Didzy for 10, see how it goes in France, Norwood and Fleck.

Backline as usual, Baldock, Bash, Egan, JOC, Stevens.

We should go for it against Bournemouth, if we're setting up defensively against them then we may as well play 3 keepers against Citeh and Liverpool.

Have we had any news on JOC's injury? If he doesn't play on saturday then I imagine he wont be fit and thats why we saw Stevens at centre half against Barnsley.
if so

Henderson
Basham Egan Stevens
Baldock Norwood Fleck Osborn
Freeman
Sharp Robinson

I doubt McBurnie will be chucked straight in unless he signs quickly and plays on Saturday. It really is difficult to pick who Sir Chris is going with up top. Freeman's work rate is very good so I imagine he will start and Robinson has probably done enough then a toss up between Didsy and Sharp. Equally I wouldn't be surprised to see Jagielka in the starting 11 for the first couple of games as that calming influence.

............Henderson..........
——Basham———Egan————JOC———
Baldock——————————————Stevens
————-Norwood———-Fleck——————
——————— Robinson————————-
————OMB——————Sharp———

I think Wilder will start like this against Bournemouth:-

Henderson
Jagielka Egan O’Connell
Freeman
Sharp Robinson​

Subs: Moore, Basham, Osborn, Morrison, McGoldrick, Mousset, McBurnie

Tough on Lundstram but I don’t see a place. I think he will gradually phase half of the new players in.

I think Wilder will start like this against Bournemouth:-

Henderson
Jagielka Egan O’Connell
Freeman
Sharp Robinson​

Subs: Moore, Basham, Osborn, Morrison, McGoldrick, Mousset, McBurnie

Tough on Lundstram but I don’t see a place. I think he will gradually phase half of the new players in.
How things change......

That's a £40m plus bench !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom