Starting XI as it stands (ongoing thread)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Regular football is surely the whole point of Mousset moving here and if he isn't getting that I think he'll get pissed off pretty quickly.

And my current impression before seeing him play too much, is that's what is going to happen.

In the same way that we ended up with Washington, Madine and Hogan last season we need extra bodies in case of suspension and injury, the level we're looking at now they cost 10m+. Also if we end up with Mousset, I think we have 4 different types of striker there, so theoretically any 2 from the 4 could play.

Mcgoldrick / Sharp / Mousset / Robinson + Mcburnie or Maupay?

That would be approximately 30million in strikers and your point was we still play Sharp.

I think we start with Billy and Mcgoldrick up front first few games despite who we sign from now

I think we need to try and hit the ground running as much as possible, treat them games like a cup run

By the time you get these new guys in could be 2 or 3 weeks or less till season starts which isn’t enough for me

At least for the first few weeks etc

I can't see Maupay or McBurnie (I have always maintained Swansea would want too much for him) coming but we'll have to wait and see. Year over Sharp has proved to be our most prolific striker; I can see why he doesn't always get selected but in the penalty area of the 4 he is easily the most potent, if you throw in the other 2 I'd still say Sharp comes out on top.

I think we start with Billy and Mcgoldrick up front first few games despite who we sign from now

I think we need to try and hit the ground running as much as possible, treat them games like a cup run

By the time you get these new guys in could be 2 or 3 weeks or less till season starts which isn’t enough for me

At least for the first few weeks etc

The most important signings to get in early are the ones who'll be in the team from the start.

We've done that with one so far - Robinson. He gives us that extra bit in attack which is the minimum we'll need to begin with.

I'd like them all in ASAP but if as you say we start with the players from last season, that gives any late signings proper time to settle in before going into the starting 11.

The friendlies so far have shown no one has integrated sufficiently , I don't think Chesterfield or North Ferriby will test any newcomers, so last seasons team to set up defensively against AFCB.

Whilst age is a factor, I would not put Duffy out to stud yet because he is instrumental to how we play. When he doesn't start we don't open teams up, even on his worst day we are better when he plays.

Yes, we are right to be looking at CR7 / L.Freeman / Ravel Morrison to make that transition into the Duffy role but it is unfair to burden a new signing with that immediate responsibility.

As for people saying "no room for sentiment". Bollocks. They've got us here, they deserve at least a taste.

No room for sentiment? It depends if we want to give ourselves the best chance of staying up this season or not. That view covers between 2 and 4 players still actively involved in the 1st team, to varying degrees.

Let’s be brutally honest. It’s 3 weeks to our biggest match in a long long while, and we’re not ready. On and off the pitch. The margins are so fine this season, that every game is a cup final.

We are straight into the premier league campaign with 3 games out of 5 that are theoretically against teams that will be in the mix with us at the bottom of the league.

Our pre-season friendlies have been against Burton, Northampton, Chesterfield & Barnsley. Bournemouth’s have been against Girona, WBA, Brentford, Lazio & Lyon. Southampton’s have been against Preston, Feyenoord and Koln.

The business we do in the next week is vital.

Last edited:
Our pre-season friendlies have been against Burton, Northampton, Chesterfield & Barnsley. Bournemouth’s have been against Girona, WBA, Brentford, Lazio & Lyon. Southampton’s have been against Preston, Feyenoord and Koln.

This is a good and irritating point. Surely we could have done better. Chesterfield are non league, FFS. Hopefully there's a decent one yet to be announced.

No room for sentiment? It depends if we want to give ourselves the best chance of staying up this season or not. That view covers between 2 and 4 players still actively involved in the 1st team, to varying degrees.

Let’s be brutally honest. It’s 3 weeks to our biggest match in a long long while, and we’re not ready. On and off the pitch. The margins are so fine this season, that every game is a cup final.

We are straight into the premier league campaign with 3 games out of 5 that are theoretically against teams that will be in the mix with us at the bottom of the league.

The business we do in the next week is vital.

Not one to answer questions with questions, but:

- Why is the 1st game out of 38 our biggest game in a long, long while? (Plus I'd argue Leeds and Hull away are big games that weren't a long, long time ago)

- What bit of difference does it make who ours or Bournemouths friendly opponents are? I don't see how our players getting to know each other on the pitch is any worse off against lesser teams who will likely up their games anyway.

- Did you not see Wilders updates on signings? We are likely to sign Henderson, Osborne & McBurnie next week.

Not one to answer questions with questions, but:

- Why is the 1st game out of 38 our biggest game in a long, long while? (Plus I'd argue Leeds and Hull away are big games that weren't a long, long time ago)

- What bit of difference does it make who ours or Bournemouth's friendly opponents are? I don't see how our players getting to know each other on the pitch is any worse off against lesser teams who will likely up their games anyway.

- Did you not see Wilders updates on signings? We are likely to sign Henderson, Osborne & McBurnie next week.

- It is our 1st game in the premier league in over a decade, and it is against a team who, in my view are in our mini league at the bottom of the league. It is a 'good' 1st game to pull out of the hat, is winable and one which in a worse case scenario we need to at least draw. Although, I'll agree that the games you mention were big, this in my humble opinion is bigger. We're now playing games that are theoretically worth over £1m a point/victory.

-In my view it is imperative that we hit the ground running v. Bournemouth and that we have given ourselves the best and most taxing preparation that we can. This is usually done against the highest quality opposition possible. I held the same view when we used to go down to Cornwall with Warnock. We are going up a level this season, and the ideal preparation is to at least play teams between the level of champ & prem to prepare ourselves for this. Betis was a great level, and so was Inter last season. I would've hoped that our pre-season fixtures would've been more in line with Bournemouth's. Again, just my opinion, but when we play Bournemouth, they'll have been at a higher standard pre-season than us. I can't honestly see (other than keeping local clubs sweet), what we will gain/learn from our pre-season schedule.

- As I said, the next week's worth of business is vital. People have been saying that we're 'likely' to sign players for the last three weeks. Didn't CW say that he wanted to take 3 or 4 players to portugal with us? I'm not doubting deals are nearly there, but they need to be there pretty quickly. Again, it's my humble opinion that we need to do some serious business on the pitch agaisnt 3 of the first 5 teams, and we need to give ourselves that best chances of doing that.

For many years I've wondered about the toughness of our preseason friendlies but it hasn't seemed to make a difference once the league starts. That said, we've had a tenancy to start slowly under Wilder and this might be a factor. The way we play is probably a bigger factor tbh.

This is a good and irritating point. Surely we could have done better. Chesterfield are non league, FFS. Hopefully there's a decent one yet to be announced.

I don't care who we play in friendlies as the most important thing is fitness and getting new signings up to speed.

As it stands...

Moore (as he’s the only keeper we have obviously I think it will be Henderson)

Baldock Bash Egan O’Connell Stevens
Norwood Fleck
Robinson
Mousset McGoldrick

- It is our 1st game in the premier league in over a decade, and it is against a team who, in my view are in our mini league at the bottom of the league. It is a 'good' 1st game to pull out of the hat, is winable and one which in a worse case scenario we need to at least draw. Although, I'll agree that the games you mention were big, this in my humble opinion is bigger. We're now playing games that are theoretically worth over £1m a point/victory.

-In my view it is imperative that we hit the ground running v. Bournemouth and that we have given ourselves the best and most taxing preparation that we can. This is usually done against the highest quality opposition possible. I held the same view when we used to go down to Cornwall with Warnock. We are going up a level this season, and the ideal preparation is to at least play teams between the level of champ & prem to prepare ourselves for this. Betis was a great level, and so was Inter last season. I would've hoped that our pre-season fixtures would've been more in line with Bournemouth's. Again, just my opinion, but when we play Bournemouth, they'll have been at a higher standard pre-season than us. I can't honestly see (other than keeping local clubs sweet), what we will gain/learn from our pre-season schedule.

- As I said, the next week's worth of business is vital. People have been saying that we're 'likely' to sign players for the last three weeks. Didn't CW say that he wanted to take 3 or 4 players to portugal with us? I'm not doubting deals are nearly there, but they need to be there pretty quickly. Again, it's my humble opinion that we need to do some serious business on the pitch agaisnt 3 of the first 5 teams, and we need to give ourselves that best chances of doing that.

Those pre seasons in Cornwall were ridiculous and entirely for the benefit of one man.

Updated squad:

GK
Moore
Dewhurst

DEF
Baldock
Stevens
JOC
Basham
Egan
Jagielka
Freeman
Stearman
Bryan

Mid
Fleck
Lundstram
Norwood
Duffy
Freeman
Ravel

Fwd
Clarke
Sharp
Goldy
Robinson
Mousset

Updated squad:

GK
Moore
Dewhurst

DEF
Baldock
Stevens
JOC
Basham
Egan
Jagielka
Freeman
Stearman
Bryan

Mid
Fleck
Lundstram
Norwood
Duffy
Freeman
Ravel

Fwd
Clarke
Sharp
Goldy
Robinson
Mousset

That’s a couple of players away from looking exciting

My hottest take is we will start the season with a more defensive midfield set up and find out that the system just doesn’t function as well without a Duffy (or Duffy type) in the side. This has happened everytime we have tried to move away from him so far

To me that means one of the transfer record breakers is going to find themselves out of the side more often than not.

What do we need now? Id say..
Gk
Lcb/lwb
Dm
St

I'd argue we'd probably need 2 CMs and maybe a RCB as well. We could maybe sign a player who could do both.

As for strikers, we now have 4 so not sure it will still be a priority.

Mousset/Sharp
Robinson/McG

My hottest take is we will start the season with a more defensive midfield set up and find out that the system just doesn’t function as well without a Duffy (or Duffy type) in the side. This has happened everytime we have tried to move away from him so far

To me that means one of the transfer record breakers is going to find themselves out of the side more often than not.

Agree we've started the last two seasons without Duffy in the team, had a bad start and had to bring him back in co-inciding with an upturn in form. 3-5-1-1 doesn't work. We have an opportunity to get a good start with the fixtures we've got. We need to be bold stick with 3-4-1-2 and play a number 10 for the majority of the game. If we are going to be a little cautious go with 3-4-2-1 to start with.

Sharp scored 23 goals last season is our captain and the most natural goalscorer in the current squad. He has to start and be given his opportunity. A lot don't seem to know our manager even though he's been with us 3 seasons. Do you really think a player will start just because he's got the highest price tag. Players will be picked on form, fitness and attitude first.

So, we can field a 25 man squad. I think I heard Wilder say 23 or 24 (but could have been 22 or 23). He also likes to double up on every position

Thus far:

Moore
Stevens
Baldock Freeman
JOC
Basham
Egan Jags/Stearman

Fleck
Norwood Lundstram
Freeman Duffy/Morrison

Mousset Sharp
Robinson McGoldrick

By my reckoning of players likely to feature, we have 19. We will need a 3rd keeper (albeit I believe youth players don't need to be named)

If Osborne and Henderson come in then I assume we'll be focusing on defenders as we're a bit light.

Agree we've started the last two seasons without Duffy in the team, had a bad start and had to bring him back in co-inciding with an upturn in form. 3-5-1-1 doesn't work. We have an opportunity to get a good start with the fixtures we've got. We need to be bold stick with 3-4-1-2 and play a number 10 for the majority of the game. If we are going to be a little cautious go with 3-4-2-1 to start with.

Sharp scored 23 goals last season is our captain and the most natural goalscorer in the current squad. He has to start and be given his opportunity. A lot don't seem to know our manager even though he's been with us 3 seasons. Do you really think a player will start just because he's got the highest price tag. Players will be picked on form, fitness and attitude first.

To me the ‘10’ position is the most vital in the system and we need someone there and playing well for the team to play well.

I’m not sure myself how we square that with the clear need for more pace and athletism in the side in the prem.

I think what the likes of Robinson and mousset bring is very exciting and required at PL level - my concern is how we get all elements of the attack to work. Perhaps some form of 3-4-2-1 could work with the pace inventiveness and trickery of a Robinson / mousset combining with the technical ability and ball retention of a freeman or a Duffy.

Wilder has some interesting selection dilemma ahead especially if there is one more forward through the door. I’ve not doubt he’s up to finding a solution.

As it stands - I think I’d go

Moore
Bash - Egan - JOC
Baldock - Norwood - fleck - Stevens
Freeman
Mcgoldrick - mousset

(3-4-3) Wolves formation
Henderson
Basham Egan O’Connell
Baldock Norwood Fleck Stevens
Mousset McBurnie Robinson

Wilders plan is to add pace, dynamism and power to the forward area which we have done successfully so far, we just need McBurnie for the final piece of the jigsaw.

I feel the RWB and RCB positions will be the next to be strengthened once Ben Osborn finalises his move to us, but this may be left to January or the following summer.

As it stands...

Moore (as he’s the only keeper we have obviously I think it will be Henderson)

Baldock Bash Egan O’Connell Stevens
Norwood Fleck
Robinson
Mousset McGoldrick
Luke Freeman? I think Luke Freeman will be in the starting 11. Will be interesting to see how Fleck adapts to PL. He drifted out of games last season but finished the season strongly. Norwood Freeman and Fleck would start for me. Mousset and a.n. other upfront. Robinson on the bench, coming on as an impact sub. I think the defensive line up speaks for itself. And of course there is McGoldrick and Billy to factor in. A lot depends on how they adapt. The gap between the PL and Championship is quite large in terms of quality.

Luke Freeman? I think Luke Freeman will be in the starting 11. Will be interesting to see how Fleck adapts to PL. He drifted out of games last season but finished the season strongly. Norwood Freeman and Fleck would start for me. Mousset and a.n. other upfront. Robinson on the bench, coming on as an impact sub. I think the defensive line up speaks for itself. And of course there is McGoldrick and Billy to factor in. A lot depends on how they adapt. The gap between the PL and Championship is quite large in terms of quality.
Freeman is a class act, but I’m not sure where he fits in initially with our formation. I thought he’d play behind the strikers but he looked a bit lost against Betis, if we play a flat 3 in midfield I have no doubt he’ll start.

I can’t see him dropping fleck but we’ll see.

To me the ‘10’ position is the most vital in the system and we need someone there and playing well for the team to play well.

I’m not sure myself how we square that with the clear need for more pace and athletism in the side in the prem.

I think what the likes of Robinson and mousset bring is very exciting and required at PL level - my concern is how we get all elements of the attack to work. Perhaps some form of 3-4-2-1 could work with the pace inventiveness and trickery of a Robinson / mousset combining with the technical ability and ball retention of a freeman or a Duffy.

Wilder has some interesting selection dilemma ahead especially if there is one more forward through the door. I’ve not doubt he’s up to finding a solution.

As it stands - I think I’d go

Moore
Bash - Egan - JOC
Baldock - Norwood - fleck - Stevens
Freeman
Mcgoldrick - mousset

If 3-4-2-1 is on the table, then I can understand why McBurnie is still being pursued as that would suit him down to the ground. If it's not, then Maupay needs to come in as our long term replacement for Billy.

Freeman is a class act, but I’m not sure where he fits in initially with our formation. I thought he’d play behind the strikers but he looked a bit lost against Betis, if we play a flat 3 in midfield I have no doubt he’ll start.

I can’t see him dropping fleck but we’ll see.

If we play exactly the same system as last season, then Freeman slots into the Duffy role without a hitch.

If 3-4-2-1 is on the table, then I can understand why McBurnie is still being pursued as that would suit him down to the ground. If it's not, then Maupay needs to come in as our long term replacement for Billy.

If we play exactly the same system as last season, then Freeman slots into the Duffy role without a hitch.
Have you seen him play in this position? I’ve been to all of the pre season games so far and I honestly don’t see him as playing that role. He plays a little bit wider and seems more comfortable linking up with Stevens.

Have you seen him play in this position? I’ve been to all of the pre season games so far and I honestly don’t see him as playing that role. He plays a little bit wider and seems more comfortable linking up with Stevens.

And Duffy spends a lot if not most of the game out wide as well, linking about with the overlapping players. Which is why McGoldrick is crucial in that 3-4-1-2 system.

And Duffy spends a lot if not most of the game out wide as well, linking about with the overlapping players. Which is why McGoldrick is crucial in that 3-4-1-2 system.
Duffy plays the position with a lot more fluency in the role drifting and comfortable on either side. Hence why he’s been so hard to replace or recruit like for like over the years. We’ll see if Freeman can do that, from seeing him recently I see him more as a central midfielder/ winger

Duffy plays the position with a lot more fluency in the role drifting and comfortable on either side. Hence why he’s been so hard to replace or recruit like for like over the years. We’ll see if Freeman can do that, from seeing him recently I see him more as a central midfielder/ winger

Well if the rumours about Duffy leaving are true..

Back
Top Bottom