Stadium expansion

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2020/july/club-statement/

I could be reading too much into this, or it could be hinting at a stadium expansion with the "more good news soon" at the end.

Now all those assets have moved is it now time to go ahead with this?

McCabe still owns the parcel of land behind the Kop. Until that's sorted we're in deadlock & unable to do anything significant with Bramall Lane.

Has to be doubtful in the current financial context? We might get the poles taken out of the kop though.

Sorry to anyone on the Kop, but any initial stadium investment will go on the South Stand and the corporate provision because that is where your return on investment is. If you are lucky, they might cantilever the Kop and add a few more Hendos dispensers.
Hopefully you’re right. I sit on the kop, couldn’t give a fuck about it being redeveloped, but fear losing my seat if it is.

These planning permissions were submitted in 2009 and then extended in 2015, they will have expired now and will need resubmitting if anything were to happen. Club wouldn't announce submitting a planning application with no guarantee of approval as 'good news soon'

You would think that the "We'll have more good news soon" comment is teasing something big, so I can't see it being something like the training ground and academy, as although it's good news for the club it doesn't really excite the fan base much.

So my guess is either a stadium expansion (hopefully grander plans that McCabes' cheapo design) or additional investment in the club? Maybe the bin Laden family?

Any chance of a copy and paste job for those of us not signed up?

There’s not a lot in it tbh other than saying that these are planned to be announced shortly (likely the teased news in the club announcement). The headline and blurb you see is the essence of the key info.

Relevant bits attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200703_090613_com.theathletic.jpg
    Screenshot_20200703_090613_com.theathletic.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot_20200703_090620_com.theathletic.jpg
    Screenshot_20200703_090620_com.theathletic.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot_20200703_090636_com.theathletic.jpg
    Screenshot_20200703_090636_com.theathletic.jpg
    814.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_20200703_090642_com.theathletic.jpg
    Screenshot_20200703_090642_com.theathletic.jpg
    626.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_20200703_090650_com.theathletic.jpg
    Screenshot_20200703_090650_com.theathletic.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_20200703_090657_com.theathletic.jpg
    Screenshot_20200703_090657_com.theathletic.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 105
  1. Remove pillars & improve Kop facilities
  2. Another tier on the SS / safe standing on the Kop

2. Is contingent on us being established in the PL. Improves the atmosphere, improves the facilities for fans and improves the commercial income substantially. Ground capacity would be c. 35-38,000.

The priority given the reduction in turnover due to Covid-19 is ensuring CW is given sufficient budget to improve the areas in the squad he feels are necessary. Stadium development, whilst eventually leading to increased revenue should come second. With it currently unclear when supporters will be able to attend games, a further year with the current stadium will not have a major impact.

There'll be no point having a 38k capacity stadium if the worst happens next season due to the squad being too weak and the club find themselves relegated.

Stephen Bettis' (CEO) comment on training ground improvements in the latest matchday programme:

..."Elsewhere, the owner and board remain committed to uniting the club again with its assets, including the stadium and training facilities. As you will have seen from our statement during March, a decision over the purchase price will be decided by a Court of Arbitration, and we intend to keep you updated as and when the transfer is complete, This delay has not halted our plans to redevelop the training facility at Shirecliffe. We are constantly in dialogue with a number of parties regarding the future expansion and are very close to finalising and revealing, in detail, some of our plans"...

These planning permissions were submitted in 2009 and then extended in 2015, they will have expired now and will need resubmitting if anything were to happen. Club wouldn't announce submitting a planning application with no guarantee of approval as 'good news soon'

Renewed again in 2018.

EDIT - Sorry, my bad, it was the south stand ones i was looking at.

Last edited:
At some point we are going to have to improve the stadium regardless of our league position if we want to keep up with our peers or ahead of the chasing pack in that regard.

In our division, teams that we have more than matched this season such as Everton and Palace already have well established plans to either move or improve. Watford are making noises about a move as well.

Below, Forest and Bristol City are looking to make big changes, and Brentford are close to completing. There are those who scoff at Brentford's stature but you ignore an up and coming London club at your peril in my opinion.

I have heard and respect the opinions that the investment needs to be made on the pitch before the ground but if we stand still on stadium development for too long we are going to become a less and less attractive proposition both to players and from a commercial perspective.

I think quite a few of our fanbase still remember the dramatic slide that coincided with the South Stand construction. It is of course always a risk, but well managed significant stadium improvements can have a real impact on a club in a positive way as well. If there was ever a time to shed the old Sheffield pessimism and make a grab at a real and prolonged improvement to the club's stature, I'm not sure there will ever be a better time than the present (or very near future).

With McCabe still owning the land behind the kop you would imagine it makes any kop extension impossible. Best we can probably hope for is a new roof

And I know all the naughty word's as well 😏

I hope you had occasion to use them and didn't forget to say "jen queer" afterwards? 😉

I have to agree with you about Eastern European ladies. I've spent quite a bit of time around Eastern Europe and the thing that impressed me about many of them is that they still dress up nice when they go out, (it's fashionable in many of those countries to "glam up", as opposed to scruffy/smart casual in Western Europe) and they aren't too fat. :D

(No offence to anyone reading this who is a fat lady or is in a relationship with a fat lady. But y'know... a few extra pounds is o.k. and normal, but morbidly obese with body odour and cottage cheese...not my thing really).

Back
Top Bottom