Stadium and facilities redevelopment post KMC

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

To repeat an earlier post on a different thread...sorry for duplication

When you watch these videos then you realise why Wilder is banging on about our training facilities.

The first team area is basically a shed inside. The indoor facility is good in terms of the main academy building for playing when the weather is inclimate and the pitches at the back are flat but the changing/gym/canteen are League One.

Most at the top level have state of the art facilities, huge gyms, social areas, hydro pools (some even a large swimming pool). Ours are embarrassingly poor by comparison. They barely have enough room to change, eat and the gym facility is cramped. We have no recovery facilities such as the cryotherapy chambers many clubs have.

Assuming they are to stay at Shirecliffe then not sure what they can do. Maybe they would have to build on one of the car parks or pitches as simply demolishing current facility and rebuilding it would mean there is insufficient space'
To put it in perspective, my son was at the Exeter City academy and when they played Man City, it was on a new £1m desso - at their training ground. I haven’t seen Shirecliffe but it sounds like training at Graves Park and then trying to deliver on a prem pitch. Just think how good we could be if it was possible........

30-40 mins from Bramall Lane would get you to the outskirts of Nottingham, Derby and Leeds.
I reckon something could be found somewhere.

How many of our players actually even live in Sheffield anyway? Long termers like Bill, Bash, Fleck are local? I imagine Moose is in a trendy apartment complex with Verrips and some other recent ins.

We've probably got just as many coming from Manchester, Liverpool, Chester, Nottingham.

Somewhere off the M1/A61/A57 and you're golden.

To repeat an earlier post on a different thread...sorry for duplication

When you watch these videos then you realise why Wilder is banging on about our training facilities.

The first team area is basically a shed inside. The indoor facility is good in terms of the main academy building for playing when the weather is inclimate and the pitches at the back are flat but the changing/gym/canteen are League One.

Most at the top level have state of the art facilities, huge gyms, social areas, hydro pools (some even a large swimming pool). Ours are embarrassingly poor by comparison. They barely have enough room to change, eat and the gym facility is cramped. We have no recovery facilities such as the cryotherapy chambers many clubs have.

Assuming they are to stay at Shirecliffe then not sure what they can do. Maybe they would have to build on one of the car parks or pitches as simply demolishing current facility and rebuilding it would mean there is insufficient space'
You’ve got to remember we’ve only just got to the top league, other clubs have had years of Premier League income to get where they are now.

We haven’t even had a season yet.

The Prince is aware and it is on his agenda, as he stated during the fans forum.

I’m sure we’ll get there but a bit of patience will be required by Chris and us the fans.

He’s not daft (Chris Wilder), he’s building a club and it can’t be done overnight.

Well said, these are the same blades that sit proud at Wembley with the same 10.000 “part timers” as they call them that come to our semi finals etc..

We need new faces, new blood, and young fans to carry the torch, Wilders sorting it on the pitch, 5000 new seats please and let the club work our how to fill them..

Sort that pie corner out FFS
Thanks Tezza, there are also those of us who used to travel, albeit only a few times a season, to games but now haven’t a rats chance of getting tickets. I was born in Sheffield, watched every home game but now live 300 miles away. Doesn’t make me any less of a blade than the arses who bleat on about “true fans”

To put it in perspective, my son was at the Exeter City academy and when they played Man City, it was on a new £1m desso - at their training ground. I haven’t seen Shirecliffe but it sounds like training at Graves Park and then trying to deliver on a prem pitch. Just think how good we could be if it was possible........
Don’t the Man City u23s have their own stadium? I remember reading something about it.

I think we would all be for the training ground sale if we bought and designed somewhere grander.
FWIW I don't think we will be selling those facilities anytime soon, so they will be potentially 'upgraded' until we move elsewhere.
Were would a potential site be? It would probably need to be within 30-40 mins from BL?
Any spare plots of land available within the distance that is big enough?
Stanage Edge, degree of jeopardy for any wingers risking a sliding tackle.......they’ll soon learn to jump

We've got a desso at Shirecliffe now I believe.

1st team pitches at Shirecliffe are Desso.

1st team pitches at Shirecliffe are Desso.
Fair enough, I guess the point I was making, albeit not very well, was that the training facility for a Premier League team should be superb and I’d put that ahead of immediate ground expansion. That’s what is going to help attract quality players, not a 5k increase in the capacity of BDTBL. Expansion of the capacity can come later when we’re established

Don’t the Man City u23s have their own stadium? I remember reading something about it.

Their academy has many pitches, the largest having something like a 12k capacity and their women play most of their games their too.

They also have a full sized indoor pitch, so if they play CSK Moscow away in the Champions league, they can turn the temperature down to minus 5, and likewise for anywhere hot. The complex is on the other side of the main road to the Etihad.

The manager has a clearly stated preference to uplift the current facilities, so this should be given priority.
The atmosphere with 30k plus at the Lane has already impressed visitors and pundits, so that can wait a little longer.
The financial limitations are obvious, at least until Kev is put back in his box.

I wouldn't judge the atmosphere on the day that we went there, because 56,000 Spurs fans had nothing to get excited about at all. We kept them quiet on the pitch and that means quiet on the terraces too. I thought Tottenham was an amazing experience. The stadium is fantastic. The other thing I liked about the new stadium was that the fans are close to the pitch.

Oh right. Do they turn the volume of the piped chanting speakers up when they’re winning, then? 😂

We'll need one next season if we finish strongly.

Agreed, but there is still the danger that if we follow up this season with a lower mid table finish the interest from floating fans would probably drop off.

On the basis that I struggled this weekend to get two tickets together for a home game against Brighton, I'd suggest we do need to look at a way of achieving a 4-5k capacity increase.

This would allow:

1) us to be able to sell 2-3k more ST
2) us to have more tickets available for non-ST holders

SS 2nd tier looks like the sensible way to do this - although if you could put rail seating on the Kop at the same time as doing the extension backwards...

On the basis that I struggled this weekend to get two tickets together for a home game against Brighton, I'd suggest we do need to look at a way of achieving a 4-5k capacity increase.

This would allow:

SS 2nd tier looks like the sensible way to do this - although if you could put rail seating on the Kop at the same time as doing the extension backwards...
In addition to this, we have sold out a fair few away allocations. I'm pretty sure there are at least 10 clubs that would bring 4/5k if allocated.

This would allow:

Playing devils advocate here, there's a substantial cost to any redevelopment. There's a general consensus that gate money is less relevant than PL income these days. Team strengthening and higher placed finishes are likely more financially beneficial until we are properly established as a PL club.

No one wants a cheap option on the Kop and you'd think that would be the initial development as and when.

In addition to this, we have sold out a fair few away allocations. I'm pretty sure there are at least 10 clubs that would bring 4/5k if allocated.

If we can sell even 1 more ticket to a Utd fan we shouldn`t be considering giving the away fans more if we don`t have to. That extra 2K for away fans is 2k whether they sell out or not.

Playing devils advocate here, there's a substantial cost to any redevelopment. There's a general consensus that gate money is less relevant than PL income these days. Team strengthening and higher placed finishes are likely more financially beneficial until we are properly established as a PL club.

No one wants a cheap option on the Kop and you'd think that would be the initial development as and when.

True, but the SS extension also offers more of those pricey corporate packages - that's where the ROI is.

The Kop redevelopment probably doesn't have a reasonable ROI - even less so if we tear the whole thing down and start again - as much as we, the fans, may want to do so.

Back
Top Bottom