Squad rundown - what do we need?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Swannyblade

Reaction score
Where are the gaps/what do we need?

GK - Hendo to return? (Reserve: Moore/Verrips)

RWB - Baldock (Reserve: None at present)

RCB - Bash (Reserve: None at present)

CB - Egan (Reserve: Jags?)

LCB - JOC (Reserve: J Robinson)

LWB - Enda (Reserve: Osborn)

RCM - Sander (Reserve: Lunny)

CM - Norwood (Reserve: Sander)

LCM - Fleck (Reserves: Osborn/L Freeman) Suggestions = John Swift (Reading)

No. 10/AM - McGoldrick (Reserve: L Freeman?) Suggestions = Cantwell (Norwich), Buendia (Norwich), Benrahma (Brentford)

CF (Target/Hold-up) - McBurnie/Sharp Suggestions = Ollie Watkins (Brentford)

CF (Pacy) - Moose (Reserve: C Robinson?) Suggestions = Eze (QPR)

Priorities:
  • First team keeper if Henderson cannot be secured on another loan/permanent (dreaming)
  • RWB cover/competition
  • RCB cover/competition
  • CB cover/competition
  • Attacking midfielder/No. 10
  • Pacy striker
  • Long term replacement for Billy

(Feel free to dispute/add suggestions or rumours seen)

Where are the gaps/what do we need?

GK - Hendo to return? (Reserve: Moore/Verrips)

RWB - Baldock (Reserve: None at present)

RCB - Bash (Reserve: None at present)

CB - Egan (Reserve: Jags?)

LCB - JOC (Reserve: J Robinson)

LWB - Enda (Reserve: Osborn)

RCM - Sander (Reserve: Lunny)

CM - Norwood (Reserve: Sander)

LCM - Fleck (Reserves: Osborn/L Freeman) Suggestions = John Swift (Reading)

No. 10/AM - McGoldrick (Reserve: L Freeman?) Suggestions = Cantwell (Norwich), Buendia (Norwich), Benrahma (Brentford)

CF (Target/Hold-up) - McBurnie/Sharp Suggestions = Ollie Watkins (Brentford)

CF (Pacy) - Moose (Reserve: C Robinson?) Suggestions = Eze (QPR)

Priorities:
  • First team keeper if Henderson cannot be secured on another loan/permanent (dreaming)
  • RWB cover/competition
  • RCB cover/competition
  • CB cover/competition
  • Attacking midfielder/No. 10
  • Pacy striker
  • Long term replacement for Billy

(Feel free to dispute/add suggestions or rumours seen)
We'll not get Watkins if Brentford get promoted!

Swift although currently used as a LCM at reading is right footed and I feel would be brought in as competition for Lunny or whoever is starting in the RCM next season. With maybe Cantwell or a player like him being brought in to start either in the didzy role or maybe as the starting RCM if Lundstram is flogged due to ongoing contract demands. We have been linked to Dennis and although a player like him will be expensive I would love him and another physical option upfront fitting the same profile as Famara Diedhiou at Bristol City. Like when we struggled to break a team down last year it was great having that option to bring Leon on and score like he did against derby county.

For me we need four signings if we are to carry on with the same formation: a goalkeeper; RWB competition; Basham competition, and a striker who can stretch defences and both put pressure on, and be rotated with Moose. A top class attacking midfield player would be a big bonus, as would a Kante/Ndidi type that would allow us to switch to two deep lying defensive midfielders with less worries of being overrun (a concern with Norwood and Lundstram in a two imo). Hopefully we can get Henderson for the goalkeeper spot and, - if Wilder plays it correctly - we could make do with only one signing who could play RWB and RCB (we were heavily linked with Holgate in January, but I fear that ship has sailed now).

Love these kinds of post! My suggestions are mainly dependant on who misses out on promotion from the Championship and who gets relegated from the Prem. My general feeling is we'd go for top end Championship and probably be wise to given the likely financial challenges they face. My general thought process was look at tackles and assists. You could argue tackles indicate the player is often out of position and is having to cover his a$$. But it's Friday and I couldn't be bothered to dig any deeper.

RWB
  • Matty Cash (Forest) - Highest % of tackles pre-lockdown and nicknamed "the new Cafu" ffs! Has 5 assists and 3 goals which was better than George in the Championship. Nottingham to Sheffield is a breezy commute. Transfer Markt has him at $4.2m (sorry my pound sign is busted!) - Source

• Frederic Guilbert (Villa) - I'd be loathed to take anyone out that team and chuck 'em straight in to our line up but with the right coaching this geezer could be a player. Decent number of tackles and clearances per game. Couple of assists in the league too. Plus his agency look dog poopy. They'd love a Prem player! - Transfer Markt has him at $6.3m - Source

• Connor Roberts (Swansea) - Also contributed 5 assists in the Championship this year. Has interested many Premier league clubs in the past and is likely hungry to step up. Same agency as Bash and on good terms with McBurnie (from social media likes). Transfer Markt has him valued at $2.88m - Source

• Jayden Bogle (Derby) - Again, 5 assists this year (had 9 under Lampard last season). Comparing him to Baldock on Fifa and Football Manager, it's clear he has a long way to go to being the finished article but with the wisdom of Wilder and Knill, I'd expect he'd reach that potential in no time. Transfer Markt has him at $5.7m - Source

• Cyrus Christie (Fulham) - At one stage I thought he was destined to be a Prem mainstay. Limited time this season but would likely tolerate being second fiddle to Georgey Boy. Seemed to have a pretty average season this year but is tall, pacey and possibly going into his final contract year and has had moderate assists in his time in the Championship. He's an option but not a great one. Transfer Markt has him cheap - Source

Tough position to cover imo. George has been excellent this season and someone coming in will have to be comfortable playing second fiddle. That's a tough ask. I may argue that with Bash, we could opt for someone who is more attack minded. I know we semi tried that with Marvin Johnson but I could foresee a case where we had a winger who would get up and down from the wingback role and be covered by Berge and Bash. Perhaps if we're chasing games or facing a low block.

Matt Cash is a good call, Forest seems to be a happy hunting ground for us at the moment!
Don't think we can afford any Prem players wages except from Norwich...maybe.
Watkins will be the next £20m Championship striker, like Sharp faster but not as good with his head, maybe better defensively.

Love these kinds of post! My suggestions are mainly dependant on who misses out on promotion from the Championship and who gets relegated from the Prem. My general feeling is we'd go for top end Championship and probably be wise to given the likely financial challenges they face. My general thought process was look at tackles and assists. You could argue tackles indicate the player is often out of position and is having to cover his a$$. But it's Friday and I couldn't be bothered to dig any deeper.

RWB
  • Matty Cash (Forest) - Highest % of tackles pre-lockdown and nicknamed "the new Cafu" ffs! Has 5 assists and 3 goals which was better than George in the Championship. Nottingham to Sheffield is a breezy commute. Transfer Markt has him at $4.2m (sorry my pound sign is busted!) - Source

• Frederic Guilbert (Villa) - I'd be loathed to take anyone out that team and chuck 'em straight in to our line up but with the right coaching this geezer could be a player. Decent number of tackles and clearances per game. Couple of assists in the league too. Plus his agency look dog poopy. They'd love a Prem player! - Transfer Markt has him at $6.3m - Source

• Connor Roberts (Swansea) - Also contributed 5 assists in the Championship this year. Has interested many Premier league clubs in the past and is likely hungry to step up. Same agency as Bash and on good terms with McBurnie (from social media likes). Transfer Markt has him valued at $2.88m - Source

• Jayden Bogle (Derby) - Again, 5 assists this year (had 9 under Lampard last season). Comparing him to Baldock on Fifa and Football Manager, it's clear he has a long way to go to being the finished article but with the wisdom of Wilder and Knill, I'd expect he'd reach that potential in no time. Transfer Markt has him at $5.7m - Source

• Cyrus Christie (Fulham) - At one stage I thought he was destined to be a Prem mainstay. Limited time this season but would likely tolerate being second fiddle to Georgey Boy. Seemed to have a pretty average season this year but is tall, pacey and possibly going into his final contract year and has had moderate assists in his time in the Championship. He's an option but not a great one. Transfer Markt has him cheap - Source

Tough position to cover imo. George has been excellent this season and someone coming in will have to be comfortable playing second fiddle. That's a tough ask. I may argue that with Bash, we could opt for someone who is more attack minded. I know we semi tried that with Marvin Johnson but I could foresee a case where we had a winger who would get up and down from the wingback role and be covered by Berge and Bash. Perhaps if we're chasing games or facing a low block.
Would love Roberts. I've not really thought about competition for RWB but I would be happy with any of those suggestions replacing Kieron Freeman. 👍

Matt Cash is a good call, Forest seems to be a happy hunting ground for us at the moment!
Watkins will be the next £20m Championship striker, like Sharp faster but not as good with his head, maybe better defensively.
Jack Lester our development squad manager knows Forest very well ,he had a similar post at Forest.

Forest wanted more than £12m for Matty Cash, when West Ham were after him in January.

In the absence of Ricky , i'll suggest Cengiz Meraş for LWB cover, Kingsley Ehizibue for RWB cover, Andreas Karo at CB cover, Nicolo Casale at LCB cover, Cheick Oumar Doucouré at RCB/RCM cover, and Aherne-Grant at CF.

Rhian Brewster a young striker from Liverpool on loan at Swansea looks a decent prospect, I would take him on loan next season.
How do we feel about loaning players from the same league as us - it doesn’t sit right with me.
I love Henderson, but the arrangement feels off.

I think Rodwell is Bashs back up and i can see us giving him another years contract as he covers a number of other positions and probably is relatively cheap.

If Hendo doesn't come back we wil end up blowing a decent percentage of the budget on a new keeper..and rightly so...Ramsdale is my pick as the Cherries are going down.

We need a back up centre half, Mawson at Fulham would be my choice but if we go for a young centre half to nurture and act as back up...that lad at Ipswich may still be on our list, Rob Dickie, Oxfords captain would be a good shout, 24, 6ft 1 in and can play.

If Lunny goes I'd look at Knockaert as a realistic replacement, better players around but how much will we have to spend ?

I think we need a bit of magic further up the pitch and if Brentford don't go up Benrahama would be my pick. He could supply the balls McB and Moose will need next season and can play in a variety of positions.

So Ramssale, Mawson, Knockaert and Benrahama would all strengthen the squad, shiuld be affordable and fit our profile.

I don't have a problem with it, lots of young players never get a chance at their parent clubs. Though I do believe this is beginning to change especially at Chelsea and man utd. Lots of players who are let go by the bigger clubs go on to have good careers.

Hasn't Watkins scored about 8/9 headers this season?

Hasn't Watkins scored about 8/9 headers this season?
Yes but if you look at them they're all stand and head it type more like McBurnie but not as good. Sharp still the master of the flying header.

Last edited:
Forest wanted more than £12m for Matty Cash, when West Ham were after him in January.

In the absence of Ricky , i'll suggest Cengiz Meraş for LWB cover, Kingsley Ehizibue for RWB cover, Andreas Karo at CB cover, Nicolo Casale at LCB cover, Cheick Oumar Doucouré at RCB/RCM cover, and Aherne-Grant at CF.

Yeah that was pre-Covid and perhaps a belief they might get promoted. Hell, they still might but lower league clubs have been hit the hardest by this and weirdly...£12m doesn't even seem that much anymore...never thought I'd say that as a Blades fan.

Why don't we think bigger? We are competing with the mesters why do we still think small?

I think we have to think smaller because we're limited with who we can attract.

I'm not saying buy Messi here, just progression. If we think smaller then we will be back in the Championship. Thinking bigger is not about wasting money by the way.

I'm not saying buy Messi here, just progression. If we think smaller then we will be back in the Championship. Thinking bigger is not about wasting money by the way.
Cherry picking the best from lower teams is a policy that has worked for us before so I can see the attraction of it. Evolution, not revolution is key for me.
We’ve also got a wage structure we shouldn’t look to break and an influx of high earners could cause disharmony in the squad (team spirit has been integral to our rise)
However if the right player is available, the Berge signing has shown that we’ll go for it. I’m sure there’s plenty of good options available in the foreign markets.

Swift although currently used as a LCM at reading is right footed and I feel would be brought in as competition for Lunny or whoever is starting in the RCM next season.

Think that’s bang on – and actually the link itself shouldn’t be coincidental, but a serious indication to Lundstram that we’re serious about moving on from him. Wilder will not want a situation where a player with market value runs down his deal, he’ll feel a financial sense of responsibility to not let him go for free, so a sale and replacement with someone like Swift is quite feasible.

I think Rodwell is Bashs back up and i can see us giving him another years contract as he covers a number of other positions and probably is relatively cheap.

If Hendo doesn't come back we wil end up blowing a decent percentage of the budget on a new keeper..and rightly so...Ramsdale is my pick as the Cherries are going down.

We need a back up centre half, Mawson at Fulham would be my choice but if we go for a young centre half to nurture and act as back up...that lad at Ipswich may still be on our list, Rob Dickie, Oxfords captain would be a good shout, 24, 6ft 1 in and can play.

If Lunny goes I'd look at Knockaert as a realistic replacement, better players around but how much will we have to spend ?

I think we need a bit of magic further up the pitch and if Brentford don't go up Benrahama would be my pick. He could supply the balls McB and Moose will need next season and can play in a variety of positions.

So Ramssale, Mawson, Knockaert and Benrahama would all strengthen the squad, shiuld be affordable and fit our profile.
Ain’t knockaert a winger? Can’t see him being a Lunny replacement.

I don’t think we’ll be that busy. All we really need for me is:

GK: Hendo back on loan or Ramsdale picked up at a discount from Bournemouth (he’s a cracking little keeper, even though his diving isn’t the best at Bournemouth)

DR: Bogle or Cash as genuine competition for Baldock would be perfect, but I can see us going for a cheaper option like Fankaty Dabo from Coventry.

CB: that Woolfenden kid from Ipswich to replace the outgoing Jags, and give Rodwell another year as he can back-up a bunch of different positions & we know from the Sunderland doc that he’s fine with not playing.

Midfield: Bit of creativity and some goals needed. I like the link with Cantwell but he’s so bloody wimpy looking!
Swift wouldn’t be a bad signing, but not as likely to thrive as Cantwell IMO.

Striker: Eze. Thats it. I want us to sign this kid so bad that it borders on being inappropriate.
He’s strong, fast, skilful and a good finisher. Give him a year learning under Didzy and he’d be astonishingly good.

That’d do for me. According to the papers (pinch of salt) it’d be 12m for Eze, 10m Cantwell, 10m for Cash & 4m for Woolfenden, plus the loan fee for Henderson and thats less than 40 mil to make some quality additions and help us bring home the Europa League trophy next year 😉

Goalkeeper-wise we're in a bit of a hole of we can't get Henderson for another season. I don't see any other regular Prem keepers as being within our wage structure and there's not many current number 2s that I'd take. Possibly Hennessey or Ruddy but even they are likely on 40k+ a week.

If we can pick up Etheridge for a good price I think we should do it even if he doesn't come in as a number 1. Would provide good cover for Henderson and a reliable option if we were to gamble on a foreign keeper.

New 1st team keeper- wouldn’t bring Henderson back, we need a permanent keeper, and lets be honest we aren’t buying him.
Freddie Woodman for me, only 23, one of the best in championship and not needed at Newcastle.

Defensive cover- need cover for Baldock as Freeman is out of contract. Cover for Egan as I’d imagine Jags is going to retire.

Midfield-Someone to add genuine first team competition to Fleck/RCM. If West Brom cock promotion up Sawyers and Pereira would be unbelievable signings.

Forwards- Don't see a striker out there that we could go and get which would make a difference to the team. The only one is Watkins at brentford but that will of cause depend whether they go up. Could see us going with 1 up top and 2 behind. I.E Mcburnie in front of Didsy and Eze.

Henderson is disruptive as we will have to replace him for the Manure games, so the backup steps in and changes the team dynamic. We maybe better off going with a full signing .
In this surreal world of the £500m squads our reason why we compete is teamwork and system. So a good strong mentality is more important than skill alone or some parasites valuation of them. Thus young captains who have been overlooked but came back are a good target ala Lunny, Oli, etc

For me, the whole strategy hinges on if Henderson returns and if this is on loan or permanent.

Agree on the earlier suggestion of Bogle. If they don’t go up, which is now unlikely, Derby will need to sell - particularly if their trial at the EFL ends badly.

For RCB, Woolfenden at Ipswich and Rodon at Swansea. I’d like to think that former will be cheaper now they didn’t go up.

Strikers, Watkins if Brentford don’t go up. However, I can see us shopping abroad for this position.

Ain’t knockaert a winger? Can’t see him being a Lunny replacement.
Winger/right midfielder...i think Swift may be lined up as a Lunny replacement. I've always liked Knoxkaert though, scored some great goals and if he knuckled down under CW could be a decent addition. I hope we can afford better but I don't know how much money we have to spend

Back
Top Bottom