Squad for next season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
As I see it, whatever Chris does about formation and style of play, we need to build a team who can get us up in the next two seasons and once up will have the talent to improve to stay in the Premier League. Tough ask at the best of times. We know we aren't going to be in a position to go up and buy ready-made PL players, especially with our current limited recruitment system. Is this doesn't change then we'll never be able to stay in the top flight long-term.

Of the current squad I would keep, sell, release

GK - Ramsdale (k), Verrips (s), Foderingham (s), Moore (r), Eastwood (s) - I would judge the potential to keep Eastwood and Verrips on how their loans go. At this stage, they'd need to have a storming half year to stick around.
DF - Bogle (k), Egan (k), JOC (k), Basham (k), Jags (r), Bryan (r), Rodwell (r), Baldock (k), Lowe (k), RND (k), Stevens (s), Robinson (k) - What we do with the defence will probably depend on what formation we will play next season and whether there's any interest in Egan or JOC. If we continue with 3 CBs then I'd keep Robinson as cover until his contract runs out. Ditto with Basham. We need to blood someone who will start over half the games there with Bash covering in several positions. If we goes to a flat back 4 then all bets are off as I don't think we have one CB good enough to play there at the highest level. It's harsh on Stevens but he's contracted until 2023 and not going to be good enough in 22/23.
MF - Norwood (s), Fleck (k), Lundstram (r), Freeman (s), Berge (s), Osborn (k), Slater (r) - Again, this slightly depends on how we'll play next season but I'd keep Osborn around as he's a good squad player at Championship level. Teams are going to sit back deep against us so Burke's usefulness is very limited so I would sell, unless he changes formation.
FW - Sharp (k), McGoldrick (k), Mousset (s), Burke (s), Brewster (k), McBurnie (k), T Smith (r) - If we can get our money back for Brewster then do so. I don't know whether he'd want to stick around at this level. I'd keep Sharp and Didzy until their contracts run out.

It basically leaves us with

GK - Ramsdale (maybe Verrips or Eastwood)
DF - JoC, Egan, Basham, J.Robinson, Baldock, Bogle, Lowe, RND
MF - Fleck, Osborn
FW - Brewster, McBurnie, Sharp, McGoldrick

or, if you assume Wilder isn't changing

--------------------Ramsdale
-----------New------Egan------JoC
Bogle---------------------------------RND
-----------------new------Fleck--------------
----------------------new
------------McBurnie-------Brewster

Subs: Basham, Baldock, Lowe, Osborn, Sharp, McGoldrick, keeper,

I am dubious about some of these starters, at the moment, but we're only going to be able to change so much.

I personally think the starters you have in have the basis of a very good side , I’d be tempted to keep Freeman and give him a whirl behind the front 2 and if it’s not successful move him on in January. Could also try Baldock at RWB with Bogle next to Fleck. Obviously I am using players we already have as not sure who would be coming in ! I would also keep Burke as the potential is there with him to be coached . Only my opinion obviously but as you say we probably won’t make wholesale signings so basing my choices on who we have at the minute .
As ever UTB !

The fly in the oíntment is that someone has to want to buy them and pay them a similar wage to the one they’re currently on. The ball is very much in the players court and they’ll only go if the deal is right. Think Winston Bogarde. You might find you’re stuck with players you can’t move on. Mousset springs to mind.

Interesting ideas and cant say I totally disagree but it's all about opinions, for me
Gk - as we have laid out so much for Ramsdale we have to keep him unless someone matches what we paid. After that, we need an experienced back up to push him (Fodders isnt that looking at an Andy Lonergan type) and for him to learn from and an up and coming number 2/3
Def - definitely keep Bryan, he should be our first choice LWB he has pace, can tackle and crosses better than anyone else in the team. I'd also try to cash in on Lowe due to having the potential of RND and thinking Lowe will never be Prem class. Stevens, if kept should only be as backup but I'd get rid. Robinson just needs to go, hes done his best but it isnt top half championship level in my opinion.
MF - Norwood needs to go he may prove good enough for the champ but not Prem now let alone in 2 years time. Perhaps controversially I'd try and get Lundstram to resign as would be cheaper than buying new
FW - get rid of Moose, for all his talent he isn't playing and I can't see that getting any better. Burke, I'm just not sure, when my lad played against him said he couldn't hit a barn door and he doesn't seem to have improved but playing at a lower level, if he started scoring regularly, would this be the boost he needed.
As for the others I doubt Billy or McG have any resale value that would make it worth our while to sell. Brewster ???? McBurnie not really had the correct service this year.
As for the rest, don't think they are going to add much at all. Jags maybe Ok for player/coach but that's about it.
Freeman I'd have never loaned out because he at least gave us backup in midfield with some craft and guile (never did see what he did so wrong, any worse than the others, in the games he played for us).
Berge - too much of a luxury

Here we go:

So from below, we are more than sorted in GK + Defence for next season... but our midfield is WOEFULLY short.

Up front, we probably have just about have enough fire power for Championship level, but will need re-addressing when we come back up to replace Billy and Didzy with PROVEN goalscorers (Have a feeling McBurnie will ask to be transfer listed and Mousset will be sold on.)
1613525741933.png

1613525810129.png

Ramsdale
Bogle, Egan, JOC, RND
Massengo, Harper, Fleck,
Powell or Dack
Brewster, McBurnie.

subs.
Eastwood, Baldock, Bash, Sibley, Lowe, Didzy, Styles, Burke, Sharp,

Summat like that will do us.

Not reyt bothered what happens next year to be honest, just make sure we spend £100 on a 2 tonne skip for Lundstram, that will more than suffice for me.

Loving the enthusiasm for the Brewdog / McB partnership.

Almost as much as Championship managers will be 😉.

UTB

In reality i think we will have this kind of squad:

GK - Ramsdale (k), Verrips (k), Foderingham (s), Moore (k) Eastwood (s)

DF - Bogle (s), Egan (k), JOC (s), Basham (k), Jags (r), Bryan (k), Rodwell (r), Baldock (k), Lowe (k), RND (k), Stevens (k), Robinson (k)

MF - Norwood (k), Fleck (k) Lundstram (r), Freeman (k), Berge (s), Osborn (k), Slater (k)

FW - Sharp (k), McGoldrick (k), Mousset (s), Burke (k), Brewster (k), McBurnie (k), T Smith (L)

leaves us with

GK - Ramsdale, Moore, Verrips

DF - Robinson, Egan, Basham, Baldock, Lowe, RND, Stevens (Loan Rwb?), Bryan

MF - Fleck, Osborn, Norwood, Slater, Freeman
FW - Brewster, McBurnie, Sharp, McGoldrick, Burke

Bogle and JOC to leave, Bryan/Robinson to replace JOC, we will go for a League One or Championship RWB and we will buy a couple of Centre Mids but Freeman/Slater will get a shot, i think Mousset will get released by mutual (or contract breach) to a club in France. Newly promoted Brentford will be in for Egan but wont match our asking price. Stevens will be on the market but we will fail to sell him, Smith out on Loan again

A major chink in CWs armour has been the lack of bringing through some youngsters.
Could some feature next season?
Hackford
Maguire
Gordon
Ndiaye
Brunt

A major chink in CWs armour has been the lack of bringing through some youngsters.
Could some feature next season?
Hackford
Maguire
Gordon
Ndiaye
Brunt
certainly got more chance of bringing these youngsters in to the squad playing championship football

Plans already in place to invest the funds from the sales of Foderingham and Rodwell.

The biscuit tin in CW's office has been getting dangerously low, so the purchase of a packet of Custard Creams and some Bourbons will be very welcome...............

Obviously we're all guessing on if teams come in for our players, if they want to leave and what value we will receive but for me I think/hope we look something like this.

Gk:ramsdale, fod, dewhurst/amissah
Rwb:bogle
Rcb: new
Cb:Egan
Lcb:joc
Lwb: any of the 100 we have except enda
Cm:new
Cm:fleck
Cam:new
St: mcb
St: brew

Bash, sharp, Didz, Norwood, freeman, Burke all good squad options with experience.

Looks like berge will be off, enda if we can move him on same with moose. Lunny, Rodwell, jags all gone, I would try and cash in on Baldock for £10m or so. The big money has to go on the midfield.

My thoughts on who will stay or go for next season assuming Wilder stays;

GK - Ramsdale and Froderingham (signed on 3 year deal) to stay with Dewshurst or Amissah (both 19) from U23s as 3rd choice. Moore and Eastwood will be released and Verrips will either leave for a nominal fee or on a season loan.

RWB - Bogle or Baldock will leave. I can't see both staying with one of them facing a season being back up in the championship.

LWB - RND and Stevens will battle it out, with Stevens continuing to cover LCB if required. Lowe will either leave or be loaned out.

CB - Egan, JOC , Basham. Likely they will stay but wouldn't surprise me if all 3 received decent offers from other clubs, even Basham. More teams have adopted 3-5-2 recently and I could see a promoted side or lower prem team doubling Bash's money for a season or two. Tbf he deserves it. Jags, Rodwell will be released and hopefully Robinson will go. Not sure, about Bryan, apart from his backpass v Chelsea I think he's done okay. He should be looking to play regular football but I can't see that happening at United.

MF - Norwood, Fleck and Osborn likely to still be here, Lundstram and Berge will go. I can see Freeman being sold or loaned out again, as I do not think Wilder rates him. Although he didn't pull any trees up, I didn't think he did much wrong tbh. Slater isn't making an impact in L1, so I can't see him being retained.

FW - Sharp, McGoldrick will stay, although McGoldrick could get a similar offer to Basham. Mousset will probably be loaned out will us paying a large chuck of his wages if he doesn't get his act together. McBurnie is proven at Championship level, but we don't use him in the same way that he made his name. If we want a target man, go and get one that plays that role rather than shoehorning him into it. Brewster who knows, he may look to get away if his season carries on the way it is. Burke bit of an odd one, doesn't really suit our formation and for me he's a wide forward or winger. I'd like to think with a bit of work the coaching staff could emulate what Wolves did with Traore, as they have similar attributes. Smith will be released, he's 22 and not in a regular in the current Swindon side.

This is a bit pointless because we don't know who is willing to stay and who wants out. We don't know who is wanted by other teams and who isn't. I think we could be helped by Covid and by injuries here. If Egan is out for a bit, it could be a blessing in disguise. Obviously, I don't want to see any of our players hurt, but our season is over and it may mean he's more likely to stay next season. Ditto Berge and JOC.

Let's say Jags retires, Jack Rodwell remains in the witness protection program and Lunny leaves on a free. Assuming we can keep our better players (admittedly not a safe assumption), then we have a really good squad at that level:

uQJ417A.png

We wouldn't need to break the bank for back up/competition, either. Last time, we brought in freebies like Cranie or young loan players like Dowell, and would probably do the same again. The problem is going to be whether Forest decide to sign Freeman (in which case, we need two new players in that position), keeping players happy (especially the forwards) and whether or not we can keep the likes of JOC, Egan, Berge etc. All big question marks.

Stevens should be nowhere near the team or squad even next season. I am rooting for him to leave the club

If we are skint next season then he may not have a choice.
Boyes had a loan move pulled at the last minute and is currently training with the first team.

Ayari currently getting some priceless experience at the African Nations Cup U20 tournament.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see them both feature at some point next season.

This is a bit pointless because we don't know who is willing to stay and who wants out. We don't know who is wanted by other teams and who isn't. I think we could be helped by Covid and by injuries here. If Egan is out for a bit, it could be a blessing in disguise. Obviously, I don't want to see any of our players hurt, but our season is over and it may mean he's more likely to stay next season. Ditto Berge and JOC.

Let's say Jags retires, Jack Rodwell remains in the witness protection program and Lunny leaves on a free. Assuming we can keep our better players (admittedly not a safe assumption), then we have a really good squad at that level:

uQJ417A.png

We wouldn't need to break the bank for back up/competition, either. Last time, we brought in freebies like Cranie or young loan players like Dowell, and would probably do the same again. The problem is going to be whether Forest decide to sign Freeman (in which case, we need two new players in that position), keeping players happy (especially the forwards) and whether or not we can keep the likes of JOC, Egan, Berge etc. All big question marks.
That team I like my worry is O'Connell by that I mean keeping him, he is class in a glass and most PL teams would like him.

That team I like my worry is O'Connell by that I mean keeping him, he is class in a glass and most PL teams would like him.
dont see joc going till january if at all and if were right up there think he will stay till end of season if we fail to gain promotion he will definetly go summer 2022

The sheer desire, even determination, to get shut of a man with 3x promotions in 3 seasons, from the division United will likely be playing in next season, absolutely staggers me.
He is definitely not the same player that took us up. He's physically aged about 6 years in a season and half.

uQJ417A.png

McGoldrick starts , been our best player and seen nothing at all from Brewster, bar a little cameo v newcastle to see why he should be picked ahead of Didsy, Billy , Oli B , Oli McB or even Mousett .

we cant go on reputations or what a player done with another club or how much we paid , we go with what best suits OUR club and our style....

dont see joc going till january if at all and if were right up there think he will stay till end of season if we fail to gain promotion he will definetly go summer 2022
I hope you're right fella but as I say plenty will be interested

I hope you're right fella but as I say plenty will be interested
yeah more than likely but the injury might put quite a few off plus we need to be putting a minimum 25m on his head if anybody wants him actually same price for egan and berge

As I see it, whatever Chris does about formation and style of play, we need to build a team who can get us up in the next two seasons and once up will have the talent to improve to stay in the Premier League. Tough ask at the best of times. We know we aren't going to be in a position to go up and buy ready-made PL players, especially with our current limited recruitment system. Is this doesn't change then we'll never be able to stay in the top flight long-term.

Of the current squad I would keep, sell, release

GK - Ramsdale (k), Verrips (s), Foderingham (s), Moore (r), Eastwood (s) - I would judge the potential to keep Eastwood and Verrips on how their loans go. At this stage, they'd need to have a storming half year to stick around.
DF - Bogle (k), Egan (k), JOC (k), Basham (k), Jags (r), Bryan (r), Rodwell (r), Baldock (k), Lowe (k), RND (k), Stevens (s), Robinson (k) - What we do with the defence will probably depend on what formation we will play next season and whether there's any interest in Egan or JOC. If we continue with 3 CBs then I'd keep Robinson as cover until his contract runs out. Ditto with Basham. We need to blood someone who will start over half the games there with Bash covering in several positions. If we goes to a flat back 4 then all bets are off as I don't think we have one CB good enough to play there at the highest level. It's harsh on Stevens but he's contracted until 2023 and not going to be good enough in 22/23.
MF - Norwood (s), Fleck (k), Lundstram (r), Freeman (s), Berge (s), Osborn (k), Slater (r) - Again, this slightly depends on how we'll play next season but I'd keep Osborn around as he's a good squad player at Championship level. Teams are going to sit back deep against us so Burke's usefulness is very limited so I would sell, unless he changes formation.
FW - Sharp (k), McGoldrick (k), Mousset (s), Burke (s), Brewster (k), McBurnie (k), T Smith (r) - If we can get our money back for Brewster then do so. I don't know whether he'd want to stick around at this level. I'd keep Sharp and Didzy until their contracts run out.

It basically leaves us with

GK - Ramsdale (maybe Verrips or Eastwood)
DF - JoC, Egan, Basham, J.Robinson, Baldock, Bogle, Lowe, RND
MF - Fleck, Osborn
FW - Brewster, McBurnie, Sharp, McGoldrick

or, if you assume Wilder isn't changing

--------------------Ramsdale
-----------New------Egan------JoC
Bogle---------------------------------RND
-----------------new------Fleck--------------
----------------------new
------------McBurnie-------Brewster

Subs: Basham, Baldock, Lowe, Osborn, Sharp, McGoldrick, keeper,

I am dubious about some of these starters, at the moment, but we're only going to be able to change so much.
There's no way we'd get our money back on Brewster and why would he not stick around anyway? He's no where near a premier league player and on what I've seen so far, he'll struggle in the Championship

The sheer desire, even determination, to get shut of a man with 3x promotions in 3 seasons, from the division United will likely be playing in next season, absolutely staggers me.
Have you not been watching the games?

For what it’s worth we shouldn’t be planning on having amissah or dewhurst around as a number 3 imo. Both need to go and play on loan goalkeepers have mistakes in them as they develop and it’s important they go and make those mistakes elsewhere they won’t develop sat on our bench.

Back
Top Bottom