Southgate running eye over JOC

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

blade too long

weve come home
Reaction score
Reports from several media outlets that England boss Gareth Southgate is monitoring Jack .
Hardly surprising with the performances so far
Could win the euros with a bit of magic hat

He's at least, at least, on a par with Mings and far less likely to disfigure an opponent.

He'll be alongside HM before too long. God knows how much he could be worth at the end of this season?!

Big shout for Bash too. "He wont cope with PL pace" "the one area we need to strengthen" blah blah blah.

I wouldn't swap any of our back 3 at the moment. Fucking rocks.

He's at least, at least, on a par with Mings and far less likely to disfigure an opponent.

He'll be alongside HM before too long. God knows how much he could be worth at the end of this season?!

Big shout for Bash too. "He wont cope with PL pace" "the one area we need to strengthen" blah blah blah.

Harry Maguire looked really poor against Liverpool at the weekend. He seemed a shadow of himself and doesn’t seem as solid as he used to. Might take him a while to pull himself around since his move.

A spell out of the England side will refocus him.

JOC, along with Mings probably need a while longer to settle in the Premier league.

But if Southgate isn’t playing a back 3, no point bringing in JOC

I agree completely but the odd thing is that every other PL fan will still say "I wouldn't have any of their players in our team".

Man for man, we have just about the worst squad in the PL (maybe Norwich and Toon run us close), but football is a TEAM game, so our journeymen add up to far more than the sum of the parts.

That is where the Basset comparisons are entirely valid. His tactics and style of play were very different, but the team spirit, effort and never say die attitude are still in the DNA. CW has often referred back to that period for these very reasons.

The entitled wankers can all keep calling us Stoke#2, or have an 'off day' against us, but we don't give a toss. We know we have the best team out there and these honest pros will give their all in a red and white shirt. Wherever we finish, we can't ask for any more.

I agree completely but the odd thing is that every other PL fan will say "I wouldn't have any of their players in our team".

Man for man, we have just about the worst squad in the PL (maybe Norwich and Toon run us close), but football is a TEAM game, so our journeymen add up to far more than the sum of the parts.

That is where the Basset comparisons are entirely valid. His tactics and style of play were very different, but the team spirit, effort and never say die attitude are still in the DNA. CW has often referred back to that period for these very reasons.

The entitled wankers can all keep calling us Stoke#2, or have an 'off day' against us, but we don't give a toss. We know we have the best team out there and these honest pros will give their all in a red and white shirt. Wherever we finish, we can't ask fr any more.
Arsenal were an assembled bunch of individuals the other night, we were a team. We’re a great example for coaches to show young kids playing football.

I've not seen much of Harry Maguire since he left us to be honest, so I'm probably talking bollocks. He must have improved immensely to be a £80m player. But a pig was ribbing me over the summer when Man U bought him. I said I would honestly not take him over JOC. The pig thought I was just fobbing him off but I was being serious!

We’ve just got our Blades back after an international break that seemed to go on for ages and your talking about England.....

Harry Maguire looked really poor against Liverpool at the weekend. He seemed a shadow of himself and doesn’t seem as solid as he used to. Might take him a while to pull himself around since his move.

A spell out of the England side will refocus him.

JOC, along with Mings probably need a while longer to settle in the Premier league.

But if Southgate isn’t playing a back 3, no point bringing in JOC

Rightly so, if England are setting up with a back 3.

We’ve just got our Blades back after an international break that seemed to go on for ages and your talking about England.....

We’ve only got 3 more games until the next International break. Not saying I miss being in the Championship but I’m starting to miss having 8 less league games to play.

I agree completely but the odd thing is that every other PL fan will still say "I wouldn't have any of their players in our team".

The entitled wankers can all keep calling us Stoke#2, or have an 'off day' against us, but we don't give a toss. We know we have the best team out there and these honest pros will give their all in a red and white shirt. Wherever we finish, we can't ask for any more.
The perception of a players quality seems to be about price tags and snobbery and very little to do with observation.
If we were top of the league we’d still be a good team full of shit players.

Right lets get this back on track ….please

Jack O'Connell's magic he wares a magic a hat and when you throw a brick at him he'll head the ** back!

Love this post #Topman

We’ve only got 3 more games until the next International break. Not saying I miss being in the Championship but I’m starting to miss having 8 less league games to play.

i talking at the match & it had been so long i was convinced we had played at home in between liverpool & arsenal but completely forgotten about it

I'd rather he didn't get called up to be fair. Don't want him getting injured playing for that shower

I saw someone on Twitter claiming they met Southgate at a charity do earlier in the year and asked him outright about O’Connell and Coady - apparently he only sees them both as being effective in a back three, which he has no intention of moving back to. Four at the back is what he’s sticking with.

I saw someone on Twitter claiming they met Southgate at a charity do earlier in the year and asked him outright about O’Connell and Coady - apparently he only sees them both as being effective in a back three, which he has no intention of moving back to. Four at the back is what he’s sticking with.

Mings and Stones are ineffective in any back line.

There’s no denying that the unique aspects in our system suit JOC’s game more than a back 4 would – or indeed a more standard back 3. But if that is Southgate’s view, he’s being somewhat short-sighted to think that JOC isn’t adaptable to other systems. We will midway in games switch to a 4 if injuries or tactical changes impact on the defence, and he hasn’t looked out of place when that’s occurred.

From a selfish point of view though, this sort of view helps us. While JOC is viewed entirely as simply suited to our system alone, there’s less likelihood that a bigger club will come calling for his services.

There’s no denying that the unique aspects in our system suit JOC’s game more than a back 4 would – or indeed a more standard back 3. But if that is Southgate’s view, he’s being somewhat short-sighted to think that JOC isn’t adaptable to other systems. We will midway in games switch to a 4 if injuries or tactical changes impact on the defence, and he hasn’t looked out of place when that’s occurred.

From a selfish point of view though, this sort of view helps us. While JOC is viewed entirely as simply suited to our system alone, there’s less likelihood that a bigger club will come calling for his services.
I'm sure he even played in a back 1 when we lost 5-4 to Fulham

O Connell is a better defender than Mings, he has hardly made a mistake for us after those first few tricky games for him.
The last mistake I can remember is at Villa Park last season for Villa's 3rd.

Southgate is on record as saying he wants players playing in their club positions replicating that for the National side, so if he experiments with a 3, I think that will be Jack's time.

I think Jack's strength is his defending, not going forwards. You only have to look at games like Brentford last year to see he enjoys (and is very good at) the meat and drink of defending. The fact he can play a bit as well is a very welcome bit of garnish.
For years England have wanted ball playing centre-backs who are comfortable in possession (hence why we've persisted with liabilities like Smalling, Jones & Stones). I think Jack could easily perform in a back four. If Harry M can do it and wander forward from time to time, why can't JOC?...silly if this is Southgate's thought process.
After all, he got us to a World Cup semi using a system that was alien to a lot the players in it.

Back
Top Bottom