Sky TV is fucking shit

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Dunno what’s wrong with sky tbh , they’ve made the championship a much much better league look what the league is like now compared to ten years ago
The championship is one of the best leagues in the world and sky has definitely helped no doubt

Dunno what’s wrong with sky tbh , they’ve made the championship a much much better league look what the league is like now compared to ten years ago
The championship is one of the best leagues in the world and sky has definitely helped no doubt
Have they made it relatively better? It’s always been competitive both on the pitch and in terms of support.

Times are changing if we agree with it or not I’m afraid. All games in all the leagues will be shown live if we like it or not The internet has changed everything.
Just as in five years all supermarkets will have been converted to delivery hubs.
Clubs are already adapting unlike the high street which didn’t adapt and the results are there for all to see.

That's fine, but how will Sky hype 'Fabulous Friday', 'Super Saturday' etc. when the game is played in a near-empty, quiet stadium? Will they edit in pictures of the crowd having a great time from another game? Like a Michael McIntyre concert?

That's fine, but how will Sky hype 'Fabulous Friday', 'Super Saturday' etc. when the game is played in a near-empty, quiet stadium? Will they edit in pictures of the crowd having a great time from another game? Like a Michael McIntyre concert?
Arsenal had it right with their mural in the 90s.

Have they made it relatively better? It’s always been competitive both on the pitch and in terms of support.

Just look at how the Premier League looks now compared to the 90s/early 00s. You've teams like Bournemouth, Brighton and Burnley who are now established teams in the top flight. Before this, you used to get some real "yo-yo clubs"; WBA, Sunderland, Boro etc. They were too good for the 2nd tier but not good enough for the top. Now you see teams drop out of the Premier League and they struggle to adapt to the competitive nature of the Championship

You don't see anything wrong with the near permanent establishment of a top 6 in the premier league or the financial chasm between the prem and the championship?

You don't see anything wrong with the near permanent establishment of a top 6 in the premier league or the financial chasm between the prem and the championship?

With only two teams with a realistic chance of winning the PL. Rather like the SPL.

Just look at how the Premier League looks now compared to the 90s/early 00s. You've teams like Bournemouth, Brighton and Burnley who are now established teams in the top flight. Before this, you used to get some real "yo-yo clubs"; WBA, Sunderland, Boro etc. They were too good for the 2nd tier but not good enough for the top. Now you see teams drop out of the Premier League and they struggle to adapt to the competitive nature of the Championship
So that’s better?

I think there’s only West Brom who really yo-yoed. Boro and Sunderland both had 10 year or so continuous spells at least in the Premier League.

It's clearly better quality. The league attracts some big players now because of the money floating around.
Football, in general, has improved in quality since its invention.

Football in the 60s was better than in the 1890s.

Granted, the recent upturn could in part be attributed to the increase in riches that can be thrown at development, however at what cost?

I dont really get the Sky hatred to be honest. Yeah kick offs being moved around is annoying but seen as they pour fortunes into the game they obviously get to dictate that. The money clubs have had and should have used smartly has made the game a lot better (academies (and everything that goes with that), better training ground facilities, advancement in support side of things to players, development of womens game, better grounds etc etc etc), so the quid pro quo in all of that is they get to move kick offs to the times they want. Its better than the black outs in the 80s when there was no footage at all!

Football is just a commodity, same as any form of entertainment pretty much, and the paymaster decides what happens.

The soulless atmosphere in grounds is naff all to do with sky, that's modern life where people have so many stimuli that takes their attention elsewhere. The lack of competition has generally been around since the 80's, so i dont really buy that argument, and financial chasms are bigger than ever, but as clubs such as Brighton, Burnley, Bournemouth have shown i can be overcome.

Prediction right on... so a few of us booked early for 2 nights in Carditts... just gambled that way, so Friday night out there and then early train over to .swansea but I reckon it will be rough so any tips for Saturday afternoon.? Like an atmosphere. But no longer a brawl...

Then back to Cardiff last time found an ace Syrian restaurant... and then a rugby Mecca . Who was the welsh George best who left early to find ale.
We're doing same, two nights in Cardiff early train through to Swansea
Just a later one back :)

Better players compared to ten years ago
Better quality of football
More money in the league
And there is more fans going to the games
More people watching the matches on tv is a good thing anyway that you look at it

People moan about kick off times which is fair but don’t see how sky have been a bad thing

Yeah without sky would small teams like Bournemouth , Blackpool ever had a chance in the prem and sky .
And I really don’t think there’s much difference between the quality in teams in the bottoms half of the prem than there is the top of the championship
A big difference in money but not quality

They might struggle but they still have the financial means to mop up any quality players that may be available to 'strengthen their squads' and create a situation where clubs such as ours who haven't got the money have to scrabble around the bargain basement.
It might work for some but it's a crock of shit for the majority :(

We're doing same, two nights in Cardiff early train through to Swansea
Just a later one back :)
I think I will go to the Swansea game, not been to their ground before. Then up to Carmarthern to stay with family for the night, A48/M4 home on Sunday, also there are no more tolls on the bridge when driving into Wales by the M4.

People moan about kick off times which is fair but don’t see how sky have been a bad thing
You've answered your own question there.

More money is not a good thing either, in the long term, once the bubble bursts (which it will).

The soulless atmosphere in grounds is naff all to do with sky, that's modern life where people have so many stimuli that takes their attention elsewhere.

Don’t agree with this at all. I’d say the crap atmosphere in stadiums is largely down to Sky putting games at 7.30pm on a Saturday night, 4pm on a Sunday and, my absolute most hated ko time, 7.45pm on a bloody Monday night! Plus Sky (with both good and bad results) has made football a more ‘family’ atmosphere and created the ‘football tourist’, who’s more interested in getting a photo of Dele Alli’s celebration than actually supporting either team on the pitch.

They’ve also created a massive rich-poor divide between the football league and the prem and made clubs like Arsenal and Chelsea think it’s ok to charge £50+ for a ticket cos it’s ‘quality entertainment’ and a business.

I’ve never paid Sky a penny and never would, as I actually go to games and HATE the fact they have so much power to change ko times whenever they want. Villa away was my most anticipated away game of the season and now it’s changed from 3pm Sat to 7.45pm on a Friday bloody night, meaning I probably can’t go now!

The sooner the Sky/prem bubble bursts the better for me.

clubs like Arsenal and Chelsea think it’s ok to charge £50+ for a ticket cos it’s ‘quality entertainment’ and a business.

I don't have an issue with clubs charging daft prices, it's the people who moan about paying it yet still go who I find laughable. I know my ceiling in regards to how much I am willing to pay and honestly, I'm there with what we are charged for the South Stand. I have other priority's higher than up the list than the Blades, I love Sheffield United and that will never go away but there comes a point where I need to draw the line. I'm missing some great football under Wilder but thanks to Sky Sports I can see some of the games.

You've answered your own question there.

More money is not a good thing either, in the long term, once the bubble bursts (which it will).

It won’t burst the premier league is the biggest league in the world by a long way.
The tv revenue doesn’t come from Sky it comes from selling rights around the world to the US & Asia. And these countries will only grow in interest in the premier league so it won’t be bursting any time soon.
And if sky and bt lose interest Netflix and amazon will just replace them :eek:

...including watching the game on TV. SkyTV to be precise.o_O

But aren't there more people attending games now than there was prior to the start of the premier league? Yeah a game on Sky can reduce the attendance and atmosphere as a result, but thinking of our own club there's been plenty of Saturday 3pm games this and last season where there's barely been any noise.

Don’t agree with this at all. I’d say the crap atmosphere in stadiums is largely down to Sky putting games at 7.30pm on a Saturday night, 4pm on a Sunday and, my absolute most hated ko time, 7.45pm on a bloody Monday night! Plus Sky (with both good and bad results) has made football a more ‘family’ atmosphere and created the ‘football tourist’, who’s more interested in getting a photo of Dele Alli’s celebration than actually supporting either team on the pitch.

They’ve also created a massive rich-poor divide between the football league and the prem and made clubs like Arsenal and Chelsea think it’s ok to charge £50+ for a ticket cos it’s ‘quality entertainment’ and a business.

I’ve never paid Sky a penny and never would, as I actually go to games and HATE the fact they have so much power to change ko times whenever they want. Villa away was my most anticipated away game of the season and now it’s changed from 3pm Sat to 7.45pm on a Friday bloody night, meaning I probably can’t go now!

The sooner the Sky/prem bubble bursts the better for me.

Sorry pal but you’re wrong.

If you going to have a go at anybody regarding TV ko times then have a go at the EFL and more so the Premier League.

It’s the leagues that sell the KO times/packages. If it wasn’t Sky it would be BT, Amazon etc that fans would be slagging off

"Plus Sky (with both good and bad results) has made football a more ‘family’ atmosphere and created the ‘football tourist’, who’s more interested in getting a photo of Dele Alli’s celebration than actually supporting either team on the pitch."

What's wrong with a football tourist? They bring money into clubs and generally can only get tickets as fans of the clubs involved havent snapped them up. I go watch about 6-8 Premier League games a season so i can watch good football up close rather than on the box, can only do this as the clubs i generally go to (Man U, City, Liverpool) dont sell all their tickets. If anything a football tourist makes the ground look full and brings in revenue. Plus its an entertainment business, so it makes no odds if someone has got a ticket supports neither team.

"The sooner the Sky/prem bubble bursts the better for me.[/QUOTE]"

Going to be a long wait that, cant see it happening any time. Will only happen if the masses here and most importantly abroad lose their interest in the game, which i cant see happening at all. Matter of time before a few games a season are played abroad, just as the NFL have successfully experimented with London, as the premier league is now a global entity. I can foresee double headers i.e. one 'home' game and one 'away' game against the same team being played all over the world within the next five years, as it'd be worth a fortune

"Plus Sky (with both good and bad results) has made football a more ‘family’ atmosphere and created the ‘football tourist’, who’s more interested in getting a photo of Dele Alli’s celebration than actually supporting either team on the pitch."

What's wrong with a football tourist? They bring money into clubs and generally can only get tickets as fans of the clubs involved havent snapped them up. I go watch about 6-8 Premier League games a season so i can watch good football up close rather than on the box, can only do this as the clubs i generally go to (Man U, City, Liverpool) dont sell all their tickets. If anything a football tourist makes the ground look full and brings in revenue. Plus its an entertainment business, so it makes no odds if someone has got a ticket supports neither team.

"The sooner the Sky/prem bubble bursts the better for me."

Going to be a long wait that, cant see it happening any time. Will only happen if the masses here and most importantly abroad lose their interest in the game, which i cant see happening at all. Matter of time before a few games a season are played abroad, just as the NFL have successfully experimented with London, as the premier league is now a global entity. I can foresee double headers i.e. one 'home' game and one 'away' game against the same team being played all over the world within the next five years, as it'd be worth a fortune

The point I was making in my original post was that Sky HAS contributed to the atmosphere not being as good at many grounds as the games are always at stupid o'clock (when people are half asleep on a Sunday afternoon or Monday evening) and a lot of the grounds are full of 'football tourists' who don't support either team and so don't get involved in the singing, cheering...etc.

If football ever does the games abroad thing then that would be the final straw for me. It would show that the FA and Premier League have absolutely zero respect for fans and just want to make money any way possible (which sums up the Premier League pretty well as it is really).

I can understand fans living abroad or people who don't go to games regularly not understanding some people's hatred towards Sky, but anyone who regularly watches their team home and away has every right to hate Sky and the FA/Premier League for how money driven the game has gone. Unfortunately in this country, we just seem to sit back and take it though: In Germany, when the TV companies and German FA tried to play matches on a Monday night for the first time, the fans protested and stayed away from games and the decision was reversed.

Last edited:
The point I was making in my original post was that Sky HAS contributed to the atmosphere not being as good at many grounds as the games are always at stupid o'clock (when people are half asleep on a Sunday afternoon or Monday evening) and a lot of the grounds are full of 'football tourists' who don't support either team and so don't get involved in the singing, cheering...etc.

If football ever does the games abroad thing then that would be the final straw for me. It would show that the FA and Premier League have absolutely zero respect for fans and just want to make money any way possible (which sums up the Premier League pretty well as it is really).

I can understand fans living abroad or people who don't go to games regularly not understanding some people's hatred towards Sky, but anyone who regularly watches their team home and away has every right to hate Sky and the FA/Premier League for how money driven the game has gone. Unfortunately in this country, we just seem to sit back and take it though: In Germany, when the TV companies and German FA tried to play matches on a Monday night for the first time, the fans protested and stayed away from games and the decision was reversed.
I’m not surprised the Germans were pissed off. They would have missed MNF.

The way Sky has contributed to the poorer atmospheres lies within the way their investment has made it a more sanitised 'product', with increased ticket prices part of the result. Societal change also accounts for a lot. Changing the kick off times has a minimal impact. The atmosphere's always shit regardless, pretty much everywhere you go. Any attempts to improve matters will fail, because nobody gives a fuck, least of all the clubs.

So English football's dead in that way. Next on the agenda is attendances. Now near enough every fucking game can be watched/streamed (with ticket prices not reducing), attendances are decreasing and will continue to do so. It's always been a big fuck you to those of us who've attended home and away on a regular basis, but now it's going to do wider damage to the game overall. It might help more Championship clubs give average player 30k per week though...

Totally agree that here we all just take it and dont do anything about it, but that goes for so many facets of society (public transport being one). And i think FA / PL / FL already have zero respect for fans...cup replays gone, mid week games from next season, JP Trophy rejig etc etc

The way Sky has contributed to the poorer atmospheres lies within the way their investment has made it a more sanitised 'product', with increased ticket prices part of the result. Societal change also accounts for a lot. Changing the kick off times has a minimal impact. The atmosphere's always shit regardless, pretty much everywhere you go. Any attempts to improve matters will fail, because nobody gives a fuck, least of all the clubs.

So English football's dead in that way. Next on the agenda is attendances. Now near enough every fucking game can be watched/streamed (with ticket prices not reducing), attendances are decreasing and will continue to do so. It's always been a big fuck you to those of us who've attended home and away on a regular basis, but now it's going to do wider damage to the game overall. It might help more Championship clubs give average player 30k per week though...

No one has forced clubs to increase ticket prices to the level seen... a report i think in summer showed how much impact ticket sales had on clubs income and for a lot in the Premier League it was scarily low...so there's no reason, aside from out right greed from owners who quite often dont have fans interests at heart, for ticket prices to be as high as they are. Us charging £37 for some tickets is a joke in a stand that was built over 40 years ago and essentially aside from a lick of paint and concession stalls changed at all.

For me one of the negatives from Sky's investment in the game has been the greed that owners have. They have seen the riches available in the top division and know if their club can get there they'll either make a killing through TV or through being in a position to sell it. Hence why ticket prices are sky high, why owners agree to the TV packages developed (with shit kick off times etc)...its not for the good of the game, its on the whole i'd say for personal gain.

One for a different thread and i dont really care re McCabe and Prince battle, but they werent disagreeing in L1 when we mid table. When there was a sniff of Premier League money available they suddenly fell out, and thats indicative of a lot of clubs

Back
Top Bottom