sky rewind , blades 1 wigan 2

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

blade too long

weve come home
Reaction score
well the full game was on sky from start to finish

God we were shite
we offered nothing , no creative stuff just running and on the day little enough of that

in the cold light of a reflective day Wigan were far better on the day
our first attack was the goal after 37 minutes , just not good enough

Warnocks selections and buys in light of what Wilders doing look jurrasic

Geary , who plays a garden gnome in the prem
Nade , couldn't trap a mouse
Gillespie, looked like he backed Wigan
Stead, at his peak then found his level at notts county
Killgallon, made Morgan look like beckenbauer
morgan , the composure of corporal jones of dads army
just were not good enough in any department

only the fans backing made us competitive

I went through the pain of watching it on Sunday as I wasn’t doing much else.

Agree we werent good enough on the day. Had a bit of a “throwing the kitchen sink” at it in the last 15 minutes but in reality that was little more than winning a few corners and putting hopeful balls into the box.

No intricate play to cut Wigan open, no getting players around the back to turn their defence.

The gallant Wigan defensive performance that the commentator described was really food and drink to them

We were up against it from the moment Hulse broke his leg at Chelsea. From the limited chances we did make, Hulse was the only one who could put the ball in the net on a regular basis.

Stead did his best tbf and I think he’d have scored more if we created more chances but Warnock was setting us up to get beat every week, particularly away from home. Writing was on the wall at the Villa game the week before.

Few things from that game;

Didn’t Warnock change the team at the very last minute? Remember Stephen Quinn being drafted back in after being dropped for poor performances.

Think Stead surprised us all after signing, especially after his stint at Sunderland. Didn’t he score 5 in 12?

Defense was god awful majority of the season, probably the best defensive buy was Chris Lucketti. We signed Ugo, Cahill on loan etc the next season. But we probably would’ve stayed up if we invested better in defence.

Wigan were superb 1st half...especially Heskey up front.
It was the typical scenario when one team needs a win whilst the other only needs a draw.

We started cagey...as though we were defending a lead....where as Wigan had no choice but to be positive from the beginning.

They had a player sent off...then they shut up shop defending deep and we hardly crested a thing.
My memory was when Webber missed that golden chance hitting the inside of the post...it was as though the players and fans knew there and then....that we were relegated. The Blades fans around me actually clapped the Wigan team....because they players showed more heart and desire and deserved the win.

I'll never forget them saying "the trap door is opening for Sheffield United." That's when I lost hope.

Unbelievable comment to make. Plenty wrong with that season, Geary was certainly not one of the elements for criticism – he had an excellent season.

Agreed - plenty wrong with that season.

We could also point to a really really poor JTW when virtually nothing we signed made a difference.

The 19/20 team for me has some fantastic footballers in centre midfield who as a unit and as individuals can all alter a game - we had very little then that could do the same. Control midfield = control games.

NW also didn't have the calibre of management to actually know what was needed for the Premier League. We were NGE as Garth Crooks said when we'd got dumped 2 nil away to Spurs 2nd game of the season. You were actually right there Garth - shame about this season though.

UTB

I kept waiting for some murmurings from the back of the Kop in the expectation that Man Utd would score at some point but it never came, knowing that we never really looked like scoring in the second half. The team we've got now would have run rings around the team that played Wigan that day.

The weather summed up the whole thing

May 13th 2007, which was 13 years since we were relegated at Chelsea on the final day of the season & Wigan scored in 13th minute.

Superstitious me?

In all my time of watching us,there are only 3 games that have really gutted me-Walsall(yes THAT one),play off final at Cardiff,and this one
Never put up any kind of fight in this,for me it was panic football from Warnock,he’d completely lost the plot for this game,we never looked like getting anything all afternoon
By the way, I thought Webber was desperately unlucky with that chance-another day it bounces in off post
I knew then
First time I’ve watched it too,still gutted at the end!

Imagine looking back on that season and picking out Geary to slag off. Fuck me.

But yes, we were a bit shit.

Back
Top Bottom