Sir Charles Clegg

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Interesting article by Alex Miller (Owls reporter) in The Star tonight about Sheffield-born Sir Charles Clegg. I knew he was an important figure in early football but sounds like he was Mr Football of the 19th Century. The reporter mentions other cities having football statues in their cities - Duncan Edwards (Dudley), Jackie Milburn (Newcastle) and Brian Clough (Nottingham) and he's suggesting as he was so important it'd be a good idea to have his statue in the City somewhere. Having read the article I tend to agree.

Find out more ...

Does seem bizarre that we omit statues for the our Napoleon of football, those who won us our only title, and our all time top goalscorer in Harry Johnson. Yet we allowed a stand to be named after a local athlete who doesn't seem to follow the club. The prestige associated with our pivotal role in the formation of football must be extremely marketable to the global audience we now attract.

I remember playing for my school in the Clegg Shield which was a competition for schools football throughout Sheffield in the late fifties. I believe it might still be contested up to this present day, could be wrong.

I remember playing for my school in the Clegg Shield which was a competition for schools football throughout Sheffield in the late fifties. I believe it might still be contested up to this present day, could be wrong.

Didn't play in that, there's a reason we got knocked out that season.

Poor selection.

Interesting article by Alex Miller (Owls reporter) in The Star tonight about Sheffield-born Sir Charles Clegg. I knew he was an important figure in early football but sounds like he was Mr Football of the 19th Century. The reporter mentions other cities having football statues in their cities - Duncan Edwards (Dudley), Jackie Milburn (Newcastle) and Brian Clough (Nottingham) and he's suggesting as he was so important it'd be a good idea to have his statue in the City somewhere. Having read the article I tend to agree.

Find out more ...

Another pig reporter who tries to peddle the myth that a Pig was instrumental in forming us. Clegg was Chairman of the local FA and President of the Pigs. He reluctantly agreed to be involved in the creation of the Blades as the FA were pressing hard for the formation of a second division. As a Pig he was concerned we would rival his blue and white trotters but he had an obligation as a member of the FA.

The real Charles who was instrumental in forming the Blades was Charles Stokes the Secretary of the Sheffield United Cricket Club who had seen the benefit of the revenue generated by an International match that had been held at the Lane. The Cricket Club were also keen to replace the lost revenue from a team in blue and white stripes who did not want to pay the price for holding games at Bramall Lane. Trying to avoid their monetary responsibilities is a tradition they have upheld to this current day.

Back
Top Bottom