Signings

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

NickC

Reaction score
Hi All
to the forum

Just wanted to voice my concerns regarding signings, after a fantastic season last year and Wilder bringing the good times back to the Lane. Don't really want this bubble to burst, but I'm just a bit concerned that we have not moved forward with regards to signings, we have moved up a division but does that reflect in the signings we have made?

I assumed the majority of the signings would have been to help take us to the next level and be better players than the players that we all ready have. Even though Ludstram, Thomas and co will prove to be go buys I'm not sure they are going to get much game time straight away. Suppose my point is we might have strengthened the squad in numbers but have we made the starting eleven stronger and better and more experienced to compete on a weekly basis in a much tougher division than league one.

Enjoy the season everybody UTB
Nick⚽

Sorry New to the forum apologises if I posted in the wrong forum.

Hi everybody
Nick UTB⚽

Hi everybody
Nick UTB⚽
Hi nick. Welcome aboard, technically is wrong forum. General Blades Chat is where all the general discussion goes (although it was an introduction too haha).

Of the signings we have made though Thomas and Evans are the most disappointing. Stevens has impressed, gets forward and scores goals, something CW clearly looks for in FBs, Baldock is similar but injured.

He's chased Lundstram a while who will offer a difference in midfield when called upon (Everton youth and a L1 captain by 23).

Stearman adds experience and I'm sure once gelled in the centre of Basham/Brayford and O'Connell he'll be an astute signing.

All that said, I expect us to start on Saturday with only Stevens and Stearman +GK as our new signings. Now that's not because the new signings are crap, it's more that CW has a nucleus from last year and doesn't want to disrupt it too much. Take Huddersfield for example, they have bought tons of players who will all need time to gel, it could take them till Xmas to get it right and it will be too late then.

100 points, records broken and a really dominant run-in achieved in the division below does strongly suggest the team from last season has enough to compete at this level. There may be others to come in, but the philosophy seems to be about signing good potential and attitude rather than experience (Stearman excepted). Budget may also be a factor in this.

Welcome! :)

Hi nick. Welcome aboard, technically is wrong forum. General Blades Chat is where all the general discussion goes (although it was an introduction too haha).

Of the signings we have made though Thomas and Evans are the most disappointing. Stevens has impressed, gets forward and scores goals, something CW clearly looks for in FBs, Baldock is similar but injured.

He's chased Lundstram a while who will offer a difference in midfield when called upon (Everton youth and a L1 captain by 23).

Stearman adds experience and I'm sure once gelled in the centre of Basham/Brayford and O'Connell he'll be an astute signing.

All that said, I expect us to start on Saturday with only Stevens and Stearman +GK as our new signings. Now that's not because the new signings are crap, it's more that CW has a nucleus from last year and doesn't want to disrupt it too much. Take Huddersfield for example, they have bought tons of players who will all need time to gel, it could take them till Xmas to get it right and it will be too late then.

Hi mattbianco
Thanks for the welcome

I just look at the goalkeeping area as a prime example, admit I Don't know much about Jamal Blackman but I'm not sure he's the type of keeper that will challenge Moore on a weekly basis, he might have a lot of potential but I must admit I would have been more confident with a wise older head in between the sticks organizing/Talking etc, especially playing in front of big hostile crowds in the championship. As you mention time will tell. He's to an enjoyable season.

Thanks for the welcome South Essex blade!

Welcome Nick

Just one piece of advice

Don't ever express any concerns regarding the clubs 1970's style investment in players

We won the Third Division title don't you know

Hi everybody
Nick UTB⚽

Welcome Nick. Post what you want and stick to your guns.

On the subject of signings,a 19 year old Albanian has just put Athletico 1 up aginst the scouse.
Is there a case for looking at incredibly hungry,ambitious,tough,determined young players from places like that as an addition to local talent.
I'm pretty sure they really want to succeed and run through brick walls.
Diego Simeone seems happy with it but what does he know about leaving it all on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom