Should we sell Billy?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Now I love Billy and as CW said he is Mr Bramall Lane. He clearly can add goals and is clinical from the penalty spot as we saw on Sat.

However, because of what he has done for the club if he is not going to be playing should we move him on? If he wants to stay and have a bit part role then that’s great. But I feel we owe Billy, if we cannot guarantee him first team football then it might be best moving him on. He is likely behind Clarke, Wilson, Donaldson and we have Duffy, Holmes to also get into attacking positions. Obviously, could do a job consistently at upper league one or even championship for a Bolton, Burton, QPR etc. Tin hat on......

Now I love Billy and as CW said he is Mr Bramall Lane. He clearly can add goals and is clinical from the penalty spot as we saw on Sat.

However, because of what he has done for the club if he is not going to be playing should we move him on? If he wants to stay and have a bit part role then that’s great. But I feel we owe Billy, if we cannot guarantee him first team football then it might be best moving him on. He is likely behind Clarke, Wilson, Donaldson and we have Duffy, Holmes to also get into attacking positions. Obviously, could do a job consistently at upper league one or even championship for a Bolton, Burton, QPR etc. Tin hat on......

Morning Tyler,

You're fooling nobody with the new log in ;)

Your first like was from stanneswhite which gives you your answer. Which is obviously No.

Assuming Norfolkblade ISN’T Tyler (good shout Esa) I think the key thing is the role Billy wants to play - as Norfolk says.
He knows he’s down the pecking order.
He knows appearances might be limited.
He knows he could play more elsewhere.

But if he’s that much of a Blade, he knows he’s got a really important role to play with us OFF the field & as part of the 1st Team Squad. Let him get on with helping build the cameraderie & intensive teamwork we’re seeing that’s driving the success.

If he wants to go, then it’s different & we should reward him by letting him go & play whilst he can. Who knows what his future holds in terms of coaching/management or what his ambitions are when his little legs mean he has to stop playing.

For now then, do nowt & just imagine his little face when he picks up the Play Off Winners Trophy!

I think he should be doing his badges and remaining the club captain whilst playing when he is picked for us. I always thought that Morgan's role was excellent after he finished playing and Billy could take on a similar role. It would not need to be as bridging as Morgan's was, as Chris Wilder is much more in touch with the players than the previous managers. But he could do some of the attacking coaching along with one of the junior teams. If there is any managerial or coaching flair then this could be developed by the club.

I think he should be doing his badges and remaining the club captain whilst playing when he is picked for us. I always thought that Morgan's role was excellent after he finished playing and Billy could take on a similar role. It would not need to be as bridging as Morgan's was, as Chris Wilder is much more in touch with the players than the previous managers. But he could do some of the attacking coaching along with one of the junior teams. If there is any managerial or coaching flair then this could be developed by the club.

I think ultimately he’ll coach at the Academy – I don’t think his career will involve coaching at first-team/U23 level. He shouldn’t just be kept on the books for that though – if he’s not of use to the first team, he shouldn’t be on a first team contract, but one more appropriate for a coach if that’s what he’ll focus on. We aren’t near this scenario though, as he’s very clearly still an important part of the first team squad.

However

It was going so well until the ......... 'However'...........:)

Billy won’t want to start coaching yet, he still has a number of years playing so that will be the last thing on his mind, this usually signals you’re near the end of your career and Billy isn’t, he can still play at this level as he has proved this season.

Keep him here unless he wants to go elsewhere but that would be more fool us.

I'm not we really "owe Billy." He's paid quite handsomely for what he does, probably somewhere in the region of £500,000.00 a year. He scores goals and is able backup. He's a good character and a leader in the dressing room. We should not sell him. At least not until we have anything better.

Some of you would sell your own mother.are you crazy. As was stated 2nd best scorer .top scorer if we count goals per game. Talk about the club wanting to sell our better players.the fans are at it now

Of course we should sell him.

Now he is 31 he is physically incapable of scoring another goal for us. The one on Saturday obviously didn't count. as it was a penalty.

We should also think about selling Leon as he hasn't scored since 1/1/18 which is four weeks ago.

I'd also sell Ched as some very knowlegable people on here say he won't do it at this level.

Donaldson is far too old so he has to go and that useless kid Brooks can't even be bothered to turn out for training at the moment.

What are Diego and Connor Sammon doing these days?

Some of you would sell your own mother.are you crazy. As was stated 2nd best scorer .top scorer if we count goals per game. Talk about the club wanting to sell our better players.the fans are at it now

Whilst we are on about selling our players,I think we should sell Fleck,we have plenty of midfielders currently,and Flecky is at his peak value,time to cash in.

Just one comment coco if Billy goal doesn' count. When' the replay with Preston as the result should have been 0-0.

Just one comment coco if Billy goal doesn' count. When' the replay with Preston as the result should have been 0-0.

I've written to the FA to point it out and I'm already making travel plans for the replay, as everyone knows Billy's penalties 'don't count'.

I've asked the Football League to look into the so called goals he scored from penalties in the last two seasons too. We might actually have been relgated in 2015/16 so I'm looking anew at the trips to Crawley and Yeovil for next year.

Let's not forget how well he started the season for us. He's in a bad patch of form atm but hopefully that goal will do him the power of good. For me, he stays.

Anyone here old enough to remember the song Billy Don't Be a Hero?
No?, just me then.
And as Billy started to go, she said
"Keep your pretty head low"
Billy, don't be a hero
Come back to me

Believe it or not, one of that band has a holiday home in Cyprus that he rents out!

Bit early on a Monday morning to be on the sauce, isn't it?

Selling him now would be a decision indicating damage of the brain.

In the summer, it depends what he wants to do. Simple as that for me.

It’s not so simple.

Doubt any Championship club would be interested but of course loads of league 1 and league 2 clubs would love to have him.

Sharp must be on about £10K a week. Very much doubt any lower league club could afford £10K and that’s even if he’s alowed to leave on a free. Also I believe that even when Sharp isn’t playing his influence, drive and affection for the club is a massive asset.

So I’d keep him for the time being but much depends on how Sharp feels and what offer he might receive elsewhere,
for example might be a player/coach offer at a local team.

Setting aside that Sharp is a Blade is he saleable? Yes. Who would be looking to buy him, a first division team looking for promotion who can afford a fee (because he is still useful to United) and his wages. Are there any teams who fit this criteria? Blackburn Rovers this year. Maybe Sunderland, Hull, Birmingham next year. How much would you let him go for becomes the question.
£2 million for me.

Back
Top Bottom