Match Thread Sheffield United vs Crystal Palace - 18th Aug 19

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
CRY
CRY
CRY
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
sufc.gif v. crystalpalace.png

EPL Week 2 - Sunday 18th August 2019 - Bramall Lane

Here's your match thread for the first home game of the season. Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-crystal-palace.466/

Officials:

Referee:
David Coote
Assistant Referee: Daniel Cook
Assistant Referee: Harry Lennard
Fourth Official: John Brooks
Video Assistant Referee: Martin Atkinson
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Stephen Child

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2019-08-16 at 12.09.36.png

Last edited:

Sat in an 80's static caravan in the middle of the Pyrenees, sheltering from a horrific storm, 4th argument of the day down with Mrs Oreyt.

Now with a huge grin on my face.

Oreyt Jr shall wear last season's away shirt to the bar tonight AND eat two hot dogs.

Looked much better doing what we do with Freeman on the pitch. It's how we play. Keep the ball and pass round them. Lunny did well though. Right place , right time.

Been watching in Spain on bein sports and gray and keys say that although palace had the possession they looked clueless and we deserved to win, and I think that's true, if were the overwhelming favourites to go down then where does that leave palace. Gerrin

Great comfortable win. That will do for me. Happy Man.

Brilliant win, thought palace were poor, zaha got face on and more or less gave up. Was a scrappy last 20 but defence played brilliant, couldn't see palace scoring.

What a result. Solid performance, expressed ourself well in the game. Can’t ask for much more.

McCarthy is a cunt.

The whole team were magnificent! We kept our shape after Flecky went off and didn’t miss him. McBurnie chased and harried wonderfully after he replaced Robinson.

Real depth on the bench and more to come!

I wasn’t happy with the backs to the wall approach to the last 10 mins but to be fair they didn’t get a sniff.......

I cannot stop smiling!!!!!! UTB

Great tactics, Lunny man possessed. Balders too good for this pub league. Henderson bored out of his mind. Freeman could be signing of the season. Bash, Egan and JOC comfortable at this level. Norwood majestic at times. Stevens solid and playing with a Zaha in his back pocket. Mcburnie is going to be hated by opposing defenders. Flecky unlucky was looking steady. Robinson and McGoldrick not working as a front unit. Still great win.

It was scrappy, at times, and a bit too much 'game management' for my liking, but they never really caused us problems in the end. Credit to the lads for nullifying their threat whilst having enough to score against them. We need to cut the niggling fouls out when the opposition are going nowhere. Gave too many free kicks away. A better team will punish us.

That said, important 3 points, first win and we shaded it against a side who can easily thrash a team. Delighted to have 4 points on the board after two games.

I just hope the injuries to Fleck and Robinson aren't serious. Didn't look it but you never know.

It was scrappy, at times, and a bit too much 'game management' for my liking, but they never really caused us problems in the end. Credit to the lads for nullifying their threat whilst having enough to score against them. We need to cut the niggling fouls out when the opposition are going nowhere. Gave too many free kicks away. A better team will punish us.

That said, important 3 points, first win and we shaded it against a side who can easily thrash a team. Delighted to have 4 points on the board after two games.

I just hope the injuries to Fleck and Robinson aren't serious. Didn't look it but you never know.

Seconded on the game management, it wasn't game management it was just being dicks. I get it, but we need to be better at it if we're going to do it because we'll get a reputation/needless bookings.

Lundstram was superb even before getting the winner, tidy throughout and was sensible despite getting the early booking. Defence was superb. Probably the best performance I’ve seen Baldock have – he was excellent. Love McBurnie’s almost effortless strength. Freeman fitted into Fleck’s role like a glove. They’ve all been great today.

Also, Norwood looks absolutely made for this league. The pinged ball through to Baldock in the 2nd half was a just stand back and applaud moment. Lovely stuff.

Very happy with the result, we looked very comfortable for the most part without ever being at our free flowing best, but the best part for me is that the vast majority of the team had League One beginnings, you know, the team that wouldn't be able to cope in La Liga. The step up these players have made is staggering, all credit to them & the coaching staff & proving you don't have to have a name ending in "ino" or cost many millions of pounds to look good in what is considered the best league in the world.

Great tactics, Lunny man possessed. Balders too good for this pub league. Henderson bored out of his mind. Freeman could be signing of the season. Bash, Egan and JOC comfortable at this level. Norwood majestic at times. Stevens solid and playing with a Zaha in his back pocket. Mcburnie is going to be hated by opposing defenders. Flecky unlucky was looking steady. Robinson and McGoldrick not working as a front unit. Still great win.
"Henderson bored out of his mind." LOL classic !!! love it .

Seconded on the game management, it wasn't game management it was just being dicks. I get it, but we need to be better at it if we're going to do it because we'll get a reputation/needless bookings.

The problem for me was that it was so blatant. I think they realised and during added time were less obvious about it but the last 10 minutes of normal time was pretty insipid. Not giving the ball back is a bit shitty as well. Just give it back slower instead! What's the point if the ref is just going to add on 7 minutes anyway!

Some great bits of skill on show And also plenty of determination. On the first 2 games showing I reckon we will be ok. Goals will be vital. Palace and Saha looked disinterested. They were outfaught in every area.

Said at half time, McGoldrick needs to do what he did last season, drop deep and get involved. Does it second half and starts the move for the goal.

what a game, so proud of everyone I thought coming into the game this was going to be very similar to Brentford when we just intimidated a team of the pitch that it would be a tight game. which it turned into, I was worried 1st 20 mins as I thought McGoldrick started to look quite isolated, Fleck was playing great but when I think when we grew into the game it was when Freeman came on things just started to happen. After all the stick hes taken I was glad got to see him for the 1st time even after 20mins I wondering what people were talking about, I agree he has improved over the pre season, but he was quality he was a calm head in chaotic game & thoroughly deserved his man of match performance.

around 70mins when palace player wanted a fight with Baldock & many fans got arrested. I got quite confident, because I thought we've got these they are rattled confirmed the way the trying to rush the game. my hero was a carer who was family stand halfway, about 5 seats from me, 94th min ball comes to him & he got the ball then slowly made his way to his seat before handing ball back to van aanholt which if looks could kill 😂

that swear the 7mins added time was longer than the 90mins that preceded it, I think I cheered bit too loudly when that ball went for a goal kick then FT whistle blew, because what came out was so high pitched only dogs could hear. nice to finally win on a sunday & In august for 1st time since 1993

The problem for me was that it was so blatant. I think they realised and during added time were less obvious about it but the last 10 minutes of normal time was pretty insipid. Not giving the ball back is a bit shitty as well. Just give it back slower instead! What's the point if the ref is just going to add on 7 minutes anyway!
30 seconds per sub 2.5m
1 goal 1m
Robinson injury 3m ish

As per usual time wasting isn’t accounted for with added time. It’s in our favour this time but in the future it won’t be.

I think last week the ball was in play for 20 minutes longer at the Man City game compared to the Burnley game.

just seen this on a replay & love the highlighted guy. he's thinking you know what im going wear the shirt where utd lost the play off final in dying seconds. to spook the utd fans i see

nice to see that worked for you, London tosser 😄
20190820_000040.jpg

just seen this on a replay & love the highlighted guy. he's thinking you know what im going wear the shirt where utd lost the play off final in dying seconds. to spook the utd fans i see

nice to see that worked for you, London tosser 😄
View attachment 60099

The lack of passion from the Palace fans in that photo speaks volumes. Not a single fan flipping them off, no one caught mid-shout, no one red in the face about to implode...

I guess 5/6 years of treading water in the Prem will do that to you 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom