Match Thread Sheffield United v. West Ham United - 22nd November 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
WHU
WHU
WHU
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1605479175039.png v. 1605479179942.png
EPL Week 9 - Sunday 22nd November 2020 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-west-ham-united.517/

Officials:

Referee:
Martin Atkinson
Assistant Referee: Constantine Hatzidakis
Assistant Referee: Peter Kirkup
Fourth Official: Robert Jones
Video Assistant Referee: Jonathan Moss
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Andy Halliday

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 19.54.10.png

Anyone who think Berge is in the side to make driving runs from deep in our own half should think again. He sits a bit deeper, breaks play up tries at least to keep possession and find another Blades shirt. We don’t actually have a driving midfielder as the only real one we had last season , Lundstram, doesn’t give a shit anymore and the space our wingbacks had last year to produce crosses into the box has been cut off.
The only other driving attacking midfielder, we loaned to Nottingham Forest. Luke Freeman should have stayed put. All that did was tell Lundstram that he is more important than he is. Consider the start of last season. It was Freeman's driving run into the box that opened up the opportunity for the goal v Palace. It was Robinson's cross that led to the 2nd goal at Chelsea. It was Lys Mouset who was on form, but it wasn't just the goals, it was the assists such as all 3 goals against Burnley. The back 3 were settled. Jack O' Connell was an integral part of that unit. Then of course there was Dean Henderson in goal. He saved us numerous points, avoiding wins becoming draws and draws becoming defeats for example the injury time flying save at Spurs.

What has gone wrong? For me the warning signs were there at the end of last season with the 3 defeats on the bounce.

Firstly all the premiership teams have strengthened, some with proven premiership players. Remember Mouset costs us 10 million which is half of what we paid for McBurnie so don't tell me that you can't get existing premier league players. You just have to look for similar in terms of price and wages. Most of the players that we have purchased are not good enough at the moment. They may be good enough in the future but that may not be enough for this season.

Secondly, in the absence of the names above we have a number of players who are too good for the championship but not good enough for the premiership.

Thirdly, odd selections. The 2 things that scare premier league defenders are technique and pace. Some players are gifted with both but they tend to be the best players in the world. Burke has pace and is an out and out striker. McGoldrick is really an old fashioned forward rather than a striker. If Wilder intended to offload Freeman, then an attacking midfielder or 2 should have been priority number one. Berger is a defensive midfielder. The only reason that he is playing in his current position is to accommodate Norwood, who falls into the category of too good for the championship but not good enough for the Premier League.

Fourthly, as the great Bill Shankly stated, you are only as good as your last game. 1 point in 12 games means something is very wrong. I certainly don't want to see the blades go down as the worst team in premier league history but that is very much on the cards. I cannot see where a win is going to happen. There was a need to kick on and improve the squad in the summer especially the midfield. We haven't done that. Hence the problems that we have.

As for the manager well that is a matter for the board and the chairman. This is a results business at the end of the day. Yes, I remember that season under Dave Bassett where we did not win a game until Christmas and stayed up easily. The chances of that happening in this league today is rather remote.

Had agreed to go on a WHUFC fan youtube channel before the season started, that was unpleasant. The most difficult post match review I've ever had to do, perhaps said some things I'll regret. You can make your own mind up if I was fair.

Not sure how you did that. You make some good points.

I’m not sure if was our worst performance but the only players deserving any credit for me were Egan and Ramsdale.

Thus just upsets me to see this 😭

Attachments

• 2A397A19-E325-426B-B3E2-24F36D788E70.png
    2A397A19-E325-426B-B3E2-24F36D788E70.png
    831.7 KB · Views: 11
Our midfield is properly sh1t....how many shots are we going to let them have from the edge of the box without a player within 5 yds?

Great free kick Norwood...CW that's onenof the many reasons Brighton and Fulham got rid when they got promoted

There’s more fucking movement and desire from the players in that fucking hop, skip and jump bollocks they do on the touch line coming out for the second half. I’ve got an idea. Why don’t they give them five balls and tell them to pass it five yards to another player. Would be more use than that fucking bollocks that they do. Fucking arseholes.

Back
Top Bottom