Pre-Season 17/18 Sheffield United v. Stoke City - 25/07/17

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Cheers pal. Did it seem like he'd been told to do it? Yeah its not a cup tie or no three points on offer but a win is a major signal of intent.
I agree about him being a bit slow. But his is very accurate and has a huge kick. One goal kick towards Leon nearly went past the defence. (You can't be off-side form a goal kick). But impressed with his handling of crosses and Shaquiri thought that free kick was in.

The one thing they do is not linger as soon as they passed they moved - QUICKLY.

I genuinely thought Shaqiri was average and was surprised by his ovation. It was hardly a Kabba for Grimsby type performance.
Interesting.

I don't often disagree with you but in this instance I thought he ran the show for them, and in terms of quality was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch.

I genuinely thought Shaqiri was average and was surprised by his ovation. It was hardly a Kabba for Grimsby type performance.
Yep, same here. Me and my lad looked at each other in surprise when Shaq got his ovation.
He did ok and went past defenders a time or two, but an ovation??

On another point, one or two pointing out Stearman passing to opposition, certainly one of these was more Flecks failure to read the pass into space rather than Stearman's misdemeanour.

Well de giralomo might have made if if it wasn't for a serious injury which set him back, fair enough after the injury his attitude wasn't good, but what could have happened if it wasn't for the injury? Could have atleast sold him instead of realeasing
What exactly did he injure so seriously, his ego!!??

Yep, same here. Me and my lad looked at each other in surprise when Shaq got his ovation.

On another point, one or two pointing out Stearman passing to opposition, certainly one of these was more Flecks failure to read the pass into space rather than Stearman's misdemeanour.
Lane next season for Shaq pal!!

It's why we play pre-season friendlies . Steadman is still settling in .

Exactly what me and my lad did.

It's all about opinions and it doesn't bother me if mine are different to anyone else's but I was starting to wonder what I'd missed last night.

I don't even think he was the best vertically challenged, foreign midfielder we've seen at the Lane in the last year.

They obviously couldn't really be arsed but Stoke are going to have to improve a hell of a lot in the next few weeks.

Reactions: LSF
Have to disagree with your comments about Shaquiri. It sounds to me like you have a problem giving credit to an opposition player for doing well? That guy was easily Stoke's best player. He was behind just about every good thing they did. He was extremely difficult to get off the ball and he was a goal threat too. I think it's obvious to say that the majority of Blades in the ground last night disagree with you, given that he got a well deserved ovation when he came off. Your description of how the Blades played is pretty much spot on - (although personally I've not been convinced by Stearman up to now) - but your comments about Shaquiri sound begrudging to me.
I wasn't being wholly serious regarding Shaqiri, was just having a snipe at Stoke's tactics. The lad is a brilliant player and I'm surprised he's not playing Champions League football tbh. He got on the ball and made Stoke tick but I feel they were very limited in their attack play and often just looked for Crouch.

Regarding Stearman, looking back I have to agree with Deadbat's analysis and it did seem as though at times he struggled with the pace of our game. However, I've seen enough from him to believe he'll come good.

I'm listening to Talksport radio.
They are currently talking about Stoke and their concerns about them being relegated.

Matt Holland said "they played Sheffield United last night and normally I don't pay any attention to friendlies but I'm looking at that team and it's close to being a full strength side that will start in the PL but that team still lost 2-1 to Sheffield United who scored a last minute winner".

They are now inviting questions regards
"Will Stoke be relegated"? And "what's the point of Stoke"?

Adrian Durham said the atmosphere at the Britannia is great when they are playing well but he's been there when Stoke are struggling and he said it must be the worse atmosphere and quietest fans in the PL"

He also said that several of the Stoke players live in London and commute over to Stoke, which surely shouldn't be allowed. Durham said there were far bigger clubs than Stoke in the Championship and he asked whether the PL would miss them if they were relegated.

I'm afraid you are correct though. Sharp did his usual thing - got in the right place at the right time and plundered a goal - but not much else during the whole game apart from that. Fans will need to make their own minds up over the coming weeks, whether this is enough at Championship level?.
Luckily, it doesn't matter one fucking bit whether the fans think it will be enough or not, we have a manager to decide that. ;)

6 minutes of Highlights on the OS - https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2017/july/stoke-match-video/

Carruthers looks a lot sharper than he did last season (and i don't mean his hair). It seems he has leapfrogged Duffy into the starting role. Lavery and Sharp combined well too by all accounts.

Haven't had the pleasure of watching any of the friendlies other than the U18s at Bohemians last night. Can't wait for Brentford, really geared up for this season and I'm hopefully of a top 12 finish.

What I will say from watching last season is that Sharp and Lavery do seem to play well together. Pundits seem to suggest that Brooks seems to link well with Lavery too.

Who can pick the starting XI for Brentford.... I'd try but I haven't a clue.

Haven't had the pleasure of watching any of the friendlies other than the U18s at Bohemians last night. Can't wait for Brentford, really geared up for this season and I'm hopefully of a top 12 finish.

What I will say from watching last season is that Sharp and Lavery do seem to play well together. Pundits seem to suggest that Brooks seems to link well with Lavery too.

Who can pick the starting XI for Brentford.... I'd try but I haven't a clue.
I've purposely stayed away from the subdued atmosphere of pre-season. I just want to walk back in next week and get the buzz back in front of 25k.

Starting lineup for me would be:

Eastwood
Basham Stearman O'Connell
Freeman Coutts Fleck Stevens
Carruthers
Lavery Sharp​

I've purposely stayed away from the subdued atmosphere of pre-season. I just want to walk back in next week and get the buzz back in front of 25k.

Starting lineup for me would be:

Eastwood
Basham Stearman O'Connell
Freeman Coutts Fleck Stevens
Carruthers
Lavery Sharp​

That's what I'm expecting, even if we get Lenihan and Leonard in. THey'll have to earn their places like everyone else.

The only difference I see, are perhaps a new keeper on loan, or perhaps Clarke for Lavery.

That's what I'm expecting, even if we get Lenihan and Leonard in. THey'll have to earn their places like everyone else.

The only difference I see, are perhaps a new keeper on loan, or perhaps Clarke for Lavery.
Likewise but maybe Lafferty for Stevens. I think either Chris or Alan said they're in for a keeper as they don't think Eastwood is ready to be thrown in yet.

Lavery worries me. Doesn't score enough goals, not a natural goal scorer.

On the most recent 'proper match' form available, Leon is our best and most effective striker. It would be absurd not to start him against Brentford. I'm not expecting any absurdity though.

Back
Top Bottom