Match Thread Sheffield United v. Everton - 20th July 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
EVER
EVER
EVER
Status
Ratings for this match closed
Ref is Stuart Attwell,he did our 2-2 at Chelsea and our 0-2 at home versus Newcastle.

VAR is Martin Atkinsons job.

Not_a_Cheat used to do these.

So we are on to the penultimate game, with realistically needing to win both for our first ever European qualifying position. One game at a time, but certainly won't take this game as a given, but after that debacle, I'm remarkably confident....

But anyway...

Any team news? :)

Fleck surely starting?

Otherwise unchanged?

I'm hoping from a response after the lacklustre performance at Leicester. I guess it's the hope that kills you. Lol. Anyway 3 nil Blades win with Fleck getting the first goal.

UTB

I wanted Europe, not gonna pretend otherwise. Before the season started I predicted top ten comfortably so disappointed to not get eaurope.

That was poor and it’s a shame that we won’t get into Europe but what a season it has been. We’ve been in the mix for Europe up until the last few games

Plenty of bluster 2nd half, fair bit of nice possession, neat triangles but ultimately toothless in the final 3rd. No shots on target isn't really good enough for what was a must win game against a very average Everton team.

Overall an incredible season (do not forget this), but today quite perfectly showed our short comings and why we will finish ultimately where we deserved and Europe being a bridge to far.

Not new news and many will agree, I think the big thing for us next year needs to be a change is shape and an inclusion of an natural attacking midfielder.

So much of our play revolves around the flanks and our wing back, and if teams nullify that it's difficult to see where a goal is going to come from.

Our success has been built on a rock solid defence, but to progress we clearly need more of an attacking threat and more of a balance in the team.

Anyway... Don't judge our season based on a few duff performances after the restart. Enjoy it for what it was and look forward to next year.

I honestly think we need to focus whatever funds we have on 1-2 quality additions. A normal prem season isn’t as taxing as a 46 game championship, plus we don’t have the extra European games. The last thing we need is benchwarmers. We’ve got to try and get some creative quality in.

The players have busted a gut all season,but there seems little left in the tank even when there is a whopping great big euro carrot dangled in front of em.

Hope the tank gets topped upto full again for next season if it does'nt then we will be in for a Norwich type season playing like we have in most of the games in this Corona League,dont forget even Norwich beat Man City this season.

I thought Fleck made a difference second half, nearly put Billy through with a killer pass. Bit of a downer at the end of the season, but still proud as punch on what we have achieved.

Not quick enough or decisive enough tonight.

Need a bit of quality with pace who can beat a man or two coming from midfield.

Good first season. Now can we progress from that ?

Much more effort than Leicester but no more ideas. everything was hopeful or telegraphed. McGoldrick ran everywhere but most of his work was with his back to goal. Our one-footed players are looking very one-footed. Lots of running from the likes of Baldock but not much quality. Bash was our best player. We don't move the ball quickly enough or play it into the best place for the receiving player. There needed to be much more movement upfront. We needed to pull their defence around more. As it was, Everton looked much more likely of score than us.

I thought the Ref and linesman camera side were shocking. Everton players in first half complaining to ref every hard tackle they lost, shots of Anchovy pretending to blow whistle as if to say ref its a foul, 4 free kicks were clearly not including Norwoods yellow should have been a free kick to us. Sharp being pushed and pulled in front of tv camera and linesman. Not excusing the way we played although thought Basham was man of the match.

Anyway still happy I just won a Sheffield United worn match day shirt in a raffle. Wonder which players I will get ? :)

Pedestrian 2nd half – low energy, sluggish, one dimensional. Frustrating and disappointing, but perhaps we’ve just run out of steam this season – a shame to end it like this though. But take nothing away from the achievements this season though – it’s been brilliant.

Another goal conceded from a needless free kick. Poor overall but thought we were ok second half without looking like scoring.

Chris really doesn't want to be doing this interview. He is not taking well do these daft questions.

Messi and Ronaldo next season and we will be fine

The season coming to an end is a blessing. some of our players look very tired and justly so. Don't think they have any training between games after lockdown, we seem to have lost some of the set up and combinations prior to lockdown. We need a striker with pace and a shot, Zivkovic should start at Southampton toshow what he can do one on one. Start practicing shooting from 15- 20 yards, we never try. Not seeing us signing more than a couple of starters. Get Freeman up and running and sort out the Moussett story. Can't see any youngsters stepping up, but one or two likely to be in 25 squad. Happy bithday Bash !, no lack of effort as usual.

Played average and lost to a slightly better average team with more individual flair. But for Stevens switching off I don’t think they’ve created much.

Fleck’s performance a big positive and Zivko looked ok when he came on for a very short run out.

We got overrun in midfield by Sigurdsson and Gomes who were a bit too big and clever for us. Davies didn’t do much for them.

Long balls to someone like Keane will never work, it was meat and drink to him today.

Ref was weak as piss but didn’t impact the game overall, just don’t like seeing more shit refereeing.

We look tired, show some poor touches at times where we weren’t showing these pre lockdown. We made some poor decisions at times today as well, coming back inside or going backwards when we had better options forward. Then at times when we should play a 5 yard pass and keep possession we try an impossible pass forwards.

Get the season over with an bask in what has been an expectation beating season and hope that we don’t have 3 losses to finish on.

I think tonight just showed how important our fans are to us as a club.

If we had a full house tonight then we may have found that extra 5% needed at the top of the pitch that is the difference in these games.

Hats off to the lads, I just hope we can sign off with a bang to Southampton.

today was Evertons first win at the Lane since 1972, the winner back then scored by Tom Davies' uncle Alan Whittle

This is not sour grapes but we have struggled since the rules were changed during the season. Five substitutes allowed - great when you have a big squad of potential first team regulars. Not great for us.

Wilder is going to have to increase the squad numbers and try and increase the quality. He’s got a big job sorting that. Maybe a few swap deals or a big transfer out. Lundstram or Mousset?

I think he ought to do some chopping and changing instead of relying on some of the players who have become stale.

Wilder is going to have to increase the squad numbers and try and increase the quality. He’s got a big job sorting that. Maybe a few swap deals or a big transfer out. Lundstram or Mousset?

I think he ought to do some chopping and changing instead of relying on some of the players who have become stale.

From his post-match comments it sounded like that was exactly the case – he alluded to selling to reinvest in the way that he’s done before. The Lundstram situation is pretty clear, and we can imagine that Mousset is now very much on the way out – in fact if a deal had been all but agreed already it would certainly explain recent performances.

Back
Top Bottom