Match Thread Sheffield United v. Arsenal - 28th June 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
ARS
ARS
ARS
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1593278085742.png v. 1593278094867.png
FA Cup Quarter Final - Sunday 28th June 2020 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-arsenal.508/

Officials:

Referee:
Paul Tierney
Assistant Referee: Ian Hussin
Assistant Referee: Marc Perry
Fourth Official: Robert Jones
Video Assistant Referee: Peter Bankes
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Constantine Hatzidakis
Replacement Official: Richard Wild

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 18.15.34.png

But horrible, long-ball 'Dinosaur football'. Sorry, I know it'll be unpopular, but that was horrible to watch. I thought we'd moved past all that shit. Arsenal are nothing like a good side but we played into their hands with that shit. We made Mustaphi and Kolacinac look like world-beaters.

Sorry Chris, but your tactics today were appalling. Well done for actually managing to motivate them for the first time since the break but the football was horrible and we ARE better than that.

UTB

Disagree entirely. Second half in particular. Didn't think we played it all that long and played well.

Seen the replay of their 2nd, norwood sees ceballos overlapping and just watches him run

Best side on the day won.

Silly foul from Basham cost us early and we created nothing first half.

2nd half much better because we were angry and motivated by a poor officiating performance. Still didn't create much, a flick on & Deanos shot the only noticeable chances.

But then that last few minutes we were really good and got momentum and ACTUALLY SCORED a goal, good to see McGoldrick bag.

Desperately weak defending again though gave them a soft, easy goal to round it off. Norwood very poor defensively on that.

Berge was much better today & McBurnie answered his critics with a great performance. Fleck was pretty ineffective and unfit.

Some descent performances today, but where do you play them all ? what is McBurnies best position ? where is Berge actually fit in ?
Moose, and a few on the bench where are they all going to play when what we really need is some creative players and strikers that can actually score goals - more than one!
I can see a few regular players not being in the starting line up next season.

Well done to Robinson who is getting to know his other defenders and how to play along side them, Berge who had his best game so far - he is begining to look to look descent, and McBurnie who ran his nuts off, pleased Didzy got his goal.

Cheated! At least they began to show at bit of heart. We need acting lessons, arseydull had more falls than Victoria and more trips than Shearings.

Massive improvement in effort. Robinson and Berge were much improved. The referee was an absolute disgrace throughout. He couldn't wait to give decisions against us and had the whistle to his mouth before any Arsenal player even came into contact with the ball, let alone our players.

But horrible, long-ball 'Dinosaur football'. Sorry, I know it'll be unpopular, but that was horrible to watch. I thought we'd moved past all that shit. Arsenal are nothing like a good side but we played into their hands with that shit. We made Mustaphi and Kolacinac look like world-beaters.

Sorry Chris, but your tactics today were appalling. Well done for actually managing to motivate them for the first time since the break but the football was horrible and we ARE better than that.

UTB
I agree the previous game's and first half today but second half thought we played it a lot better on the floor slick first time passes at times much improvement still player's below there set standards Stevens Norwood fleck basham didsy etc

Best side on the day won.

Silly foul from Basham cost us early and we created nothing first half.

2nd half much better because we were angry and motivated by a poor officiating performance. Still didn't create much, a flick on & Deanos shot the only noticeable chances.

But then that last few minutes we were really good and got momentum and ACTUALLY SCORED a goal, good to see McGoldrick bag.

Desperately weak defending again though gave them a soft, easy goal to round it off. Norwood very poor defensively on that.

Berge was much better today & McBurnie answered his critics with a great performance. Fleck was pretty ineffective and unfit.

Agree with that. Fleck was sluggish throughout – I wanted to see L.Freeman or Osborn start for Fleck today, and overall I think we’d have been better for it. Norwood on the final goal was doing a spectacular impression of Barry Robson’s classic immobile pointing routine.

Better performance overall though, and this is probably the first game we’ve played since the restart where we didn’t get what I thought the performance merited. Plusses were McBurnie, Berge doing well when he came on, Robinson going forward today had perhaps the best link-up he’s displayed so far (though no disrespect, I hope that’s his last for a while). We looked for a winner, nearly got it, and were then done on the break through sloppiness.

Much better performance second half. Arteta had us confused first half with him matching up in formation. Bash had a bit of a mare gives away the pen and then misses with the header. Arsenal weren't in the game second half but we were always at risk of a counter with four at the back. Hopefully that second half showing will bring the confidence levels up. Glad we didn't have to endure extra time we would have been completely knackered for Spurs. We still lack a goal threat but our passing was much better to-day.

We do miss JOC though as the left hand side of the defence is not what it was.

Weve spoken about Sheffield United for 2 minutes let's talk about arsenal again

Much better today I thought. I’m left extremely gutted. But believe me I’m angry with Arsenal and that weak ass ref... not our boys!
That’s me done for today though. Should totally be looking forward to the semi final drawer and it’s left me pretty flat!
Till the spurs game fellow blades. See you then 👍

its is very disappointing to lose today. bit like liverpool 30yr record ours ended as well last time we lost a FA cup QF at the lane since March 1990. as 2nd half particularly only 1 team in it. back to the positive side i remember.

but did wilder smash a hall of mirrors with a black cat. because over the 4 games dont know what we dont to deserve such bad luck. if it can go wrong it is. like Wednesday when man utd picked our game to be world class. Newcastle ref was card happy. Egan shouldve had 1st booking not 2nd & Villa for goal line tech to break. then today arsenal 4 times VAR was negative towards us. the joke of penalty when ive seen more contact after someone has breathed on lacazette. then they have 1 bit of quality all game & they win it. even if i like to know why ceballos was given all the space in the world by the defence.

but we are improving with every game & surely our luck cant get much worse

The only thing I was confused with was bringing on Freeman and then changing to 4 at the back a few mins later. He's a shocking fullback.

Not bringing on the other Freeman for Fleck was also mind boggling considering Fleck was on a booking and gave the ball away more times than anyone else.

Best performance since returning by some margin. At least we managed to score a goal today, although the ref did his best to get rid of us. We really have to cut out the stupid errors though. Basham again clumsy and missed a good chance. Fleck anonymous and error prone. Stevens poor for the second goal and Henderson should have done better.

We really need to take our chances though. If you don't create many chances then you need to be clinical when they do come along.

However McB and Berge had good performances and DMG linked up play well.

Our next run of games now looks even more ominous.

Any news on JOC?

Gutted to lose in the manner we did today.

If you equalise in the 87th minute it's criminal not to see the game into extra time.

First half I thought we were really poor again but second half much better.

McGoldrick and Berge got better and better the longer it went on and McBurnie made a nuisance of himself all afternoon.

Arsenal were there for the taking in the second half and it's just massively disappointing that we couldn't do anything about it.

'View from the 'orrible South'...
Only from seeing the motd highlights.
Thought it was the best you've played since comeback. Could have gone either way, imo. Their winner probably more down to tiredness in defence, as much as anything.
In a way, better to lose today than to a ridiculously strong ManC, in an empty Wembley. Semi final defeats are really shit, as Arsenal will find out.
And wtf was wrong with your second disallowed goal?
Alex Scott would definitely get it..

'View from the 'orrible South'...
Only from seeing the motd highlights.
Thought it was the best you've played since comeback. Could have gone either way, imo. Their winner probably more down to tiredness in defence, as much as anything.
In a way, better to lose today than to a ridiculously strong ManC, in an empty Wembley. Semi final defeats are really shit, as Arsenal will find out.
And wtf was wrong with your second disallowed goal?
Alex Scott would definitely get it..

Both our disallowed goals were well offside unfortunately .

I haven't seen it posted anywhere and it's too late now, but did anyone realize that the game was on YouTube yesterday?
I didn't know until late in the 2nd half!
Anyways, watched on BT Sport.

the absolute fucking state of all these commentators and pundits trying to justify diving (cheating) to win a penalty.
Rio: "I'd be fuming but he's given Lacazette the opportunity to make the most of it"
Translation: "it wasn't a penalty, he got close to him and he dived"
RVP: "its soft but its a penalty, he's done well to exagerrate the contact"
Translation: "he dived"

what made it worse was the twat Lacazette making out like he was hurt just to sell it even more. I funking hate this game sometimes.
What irritates me more is the fact the refs fall for it week after week.We as fans know most of the actors like Grealish and co so why is it the refs do not know?I think the time is coming we will have to join them but knowing us VAR will get involved and our player will get booked.As you say the pundits are condone it with their comments.IT IS CHEATING That's what they SHOULD be saying because that is exactly what it is.

What irritates me more is the fact the refs fall for it week after week.We as fans know most of the actors like Grealish and co so why is it the refs do not know?I think the time is coming we will have to join them but knowing us VAR will get involved and our player will get booked.As you say the pundits are condone it with their comments.IT IS CHEATING That's what they SHOULD be saying because that is exactly what it is.

I actually have a small amount of sympathy for the refs themselves. The way that certain players go down must make it look in real time that they have been fouled. Grealish is a great example, I actually think he comes across as a nice lad and he's obviously a talented footballer but the word "actor" is right, its like he's mastered the art of stage combat. Also lacazette yesterday and ward-prowse when Billy got sent off earlier in the season, they go down like they've been shot and if they get the timing right it looks like they've been hacked down. that's why when VAR came in I was so optimistic about that side of the game being stamped out, but that clearly isn't the case because the same refs operating VAR aren't fit for purpose. Having said that, Tierney yesterday had an absolute mare. some of the diving was so obvious, if he had any balls he'd have booked Xhaka for the second dive when he just waved it away. but it doesn't matter because it's "part of the game" now and we apparently have to accept that. rant over

I actually have a small amount of sympathy for the refs themselves. The way that certain players go down must make it look in real time that they have been fouled. Grealish is a great example, I actually think he comes across as a nice lad and he's obviously a talented footballer but the word "actor" is right, its like he's mastered the art of stage combat. Also lacazette yesterday and ward-prowse when Billy got sent off earlier in the season, they go down like they've been shot and if they get the timing right it looks like they've been hacked down. that's why when VAR came in I was so optimistic about that side of the game being stamped out, but that clearly isn't the case because the same refs operating VAR aren't fit for purpose. Having said that, Tierney yesterday had an absolute mare. some of the diving was so obvious, if he had any balls he'd have booked Xhaka for the second dive when he just waved it away. but it doesn't matter because it's "part of the game" now and we apparently have to accept that. rant over
It is not a rant ,it is time this ACTING has got to be stopped.It is cheating and it is costing more honest clubs valuable points and lots of money as well as frustrating the fans to such degree that some are turning their back on the game knowing that the cheaters are getting away with it week after week.It is getting so serious it is being accepted as a normal part of the game.If more honest clubs are not protected from the cheats the only answer is to join them which is just a bloody shame just because refs have not got the balls to book the offenders.Why not bring in a system where the F A can look at the dives after the matches and bring the offenders to book by a heavy fines and a bans?We as fans know the main culprits so should the powers in the game.

Back
Top Bottom