Match Thread Sheffield United v. AFC Fylde - FA Cup Round 3 - 5th Jan 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
FYL
FYL
FYL
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1578056918772.png v. 1578056925994.png
FA Cup Round 3 - Sunday 5th January 2020 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-afc-fylde.505/

Officials:

Referee:
Jarred Gillett
Assistant Referee: Peter Kirkup
Assistant Referee: Daniel Leach
Fourth Official: Ben Toner
Video Assistant Referee: Graham Scott
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Neil Davies

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 13.09.09.png

I would put Jags in the middle of the back three as he is the first choice cover for Egan. Unless Ravel is going then I would play him instead of Luke Feeeman.

Another 1st at Bramall Lane...wonder if they’ll be singing it’s fucking shit at the end of the game
796F3375-5777-4766-AFFA-868A19014200.jpeg

VAR to be used does this mean VAR will be used at every PL ground for the rest of the competition, as well as the semi’s and the final. If so, what a great opportunity for some proper anti VAR protests, with many of these games on the BBC.

Just don’t sing fuck VAR, that will just get dubbed out, its not football anymore usually gets a mention in the MOTD commentary.

if this isnt its surely got to be up there as biggest gulf in 2 consecutive fixtures going. as i cant think of anyone that has gone from playing 1st in premier league & champions league winners to 113th best team in England
Can you think of any team that lost to both of those fixtures/teams :eek: Hey we could be record breakers 👍

Would love to see some of the U23s in action. Does anyone who watches the youth teams know who would likely be closest to playing for the first team?

Would love to see some of the U23s in action. Does anyone who watches the youth teams know who would likely be closest to playing for the first team?
Would we be allowed to put some of our Sheffield United ladies in today's team? Make it a bit more interesting?

VAR to be used does this mean VAR will be used at every PL ground for the rest of the competition, as well as the semi’s and the final. If so, what a great opportunity for some proper anti VAR protests, with many of these games on the BBC.

Just don’t sing fuck VAR, that will just get dubbed out, its not football anymore usually gets a mention in the MOTD commentary.

Yes I think it does. VAR has to be used for all events at every PL ground this season, regardless of the type of event. If we decide to have another Bruce Springsteen concert or an evangelical visit from Billy Graham, those too will be subject to VAR.

After the Sunderland fiasco in the Cup, I think it's going to take a strong stomach to go and watch this one. I look at that potential line-up and the only interest for me is my first chance to watch Verrips, seeing a bit more of Osborn (who I think has shown high energy and some good touches so far), running the rule over Rodwell to see if he's any closer to restoring his career than Morrison was when we signed him, and cheering on Billy Sharp who has had a bit of a bum's deal this season considering his past track record and the meagre return from our current strikers. Go stick it to them Billy - make a case for a starting place against West Ham son!

As for Fylde...well I hear they've got ex-Blades, Danny Phillishave, Mark "Meercat" Yeates, and Andy "time-bomb" Taylor on their books. I do hope they all play! And I hope they play for them like they did for us most of the time - then we may have a chance. I hear they've also got a skilful kid called Danny Roe.

I'm not expecting this to be a good game tbh. I think the problem is, they'll be really motivated and up for it and we won't. Most of that potential team are players looking to leave the club sometime soon. It just doesn't bode well! I can see a result that will be "Fylde under miscellaneous" afterwards.:(

After the Sunderland fiasco in the Cup, I think it's going to take a strong stomach to go and watch this one. I look at that potential line-up and the only interest for me is my first chance to watch Verrips, seeing a bit more of Osborn (who I think has shown high energy and some good touches so far), running the rule over Rodwell to see if he's any closer to restoring his career than Morrison was when we signed him, and cheering on Billy Sharp who has had a bit of a bum's deal this season considering his past track record and the meagre return from our current strikers. Go stick it to them Billy - make a case for a starting place against West Ham son!

As for Fylde...well I hear they've got ex-Blades, Danny Phillishave, Mark "Meercat" Yeates, and Andy "time-bomb" Taylor on their books. I do hope they all play! And I hope they play for them like they did for us most of the time - then we may have a chance. I hear they've also got a skilful kid called Danny Roe.

I'm not expecting this to be a good game tbh. I think the problem is, they'll be really motivated and up for it and we won't. Most of that potential team are players looking to leave the club sometime soon. It just doesn't bode well! I can see a result that will be "Fylde under miscellaneous" afterwards.:(
Danny L Rowe seems to score for them every time I look and has averaged over a goal a game for them since he signed 5 years ago, not quite a 'kid' though, 30 this month :) I believe Taylor and Yeates were rested for their last game so will doubtless be strutting their stuff along with Danny P. They are struggling this season though and not as free-scoring as they have been in recent seasons.

I could not believe the attitude last season against Barnet and I really expect us to be more up for it this season despite all the changes so it can't be anything less than a comfortable win, can it ?

Yes I think it does. VAR has to be used for all events at every PL ground this season, regardless of the type of event. If we decide to have another Bruce Springsteen concert or an evangelical visit from Billy Graham, those too will be subject to VAR.

I know bruce you were born to run but you should've clipped your toenails

Maybe the small crowd can be put down as a VAR protest? 🤔

Nice interview-based piece on Fylde, with club President Dai Davies:-

“I think it’s got to be the biggest occasion we’ve ever experienced,” Davies says of Sunday’s game. “That’s why football is so great. It’s huge for a non-league club. We’ve generated over £100,000 in prize money already and we’re not done yet. We want to go and create a big upset.”

[...] Nobody deserves to enjoy that day in the spotlight more than Davies – but there is a slight problem in that regard. “I’m not going to be there; I’m booked on a bloody cruise in the Caribbean,” Davies laughs. “My wife was booking the tickets and I told her to put AN Other on mine so someone else could go, but that didn’t go down well. ...”

Is that what the mean by “the romance of the cup”?

Thanks for that pal. I'd forgotten. I'd have been kickin' around wondering what to do wi me sen! ;)
You're supposed to spend the minute thinking about mental health.
I'm sure the FA's idea was put forward with the best of intentions, but without some kind of focus I think most fans will be left scratching their heads in bewilderment.
Another case of virtue signalling for our woke society?

So Billy Graham turns up at the Lane and the event can't start until VAR decides if god exists, that could take a few thousand years.

Changing all 11 players , be interesting , last time we did that i was expecting big things , players trying to put there name down for a 1st team place and all that , i was very disappointed with what i watched , they looked as though they had never trained together at all , lets see what happens tomorrow .

So the magic of the FA cup brings this afternoon's visit of AFC Fylde. So for a second successive season, a non league side at home in the third round. We all know how that went last year, but perhaps last year we preferred not to progress...

But anyway...

Any team news? ;)

An entire 11 change? Apparently...

Verrips first appearance?

Who leads the line up front?

Surely we maintain our usual formation, with perhaps the emphasis more on last seasons style of attacking home football...?

It's easy to dismiss a team so far below us in the football pyramid however their players will be well up for this. And we know what happened last year. However, with no disrespect meant to Fylde, even a 'second' string of players who have played their entire careers at a higher level should be enough. So shoot me down if you want, but I'm going for a 5-1 Blades victory, with their coming after a defensive mix up involving the keeper...

UTB

You're supposed to spend the minute thinking about mental health.
I'm sure the FA's idea was put forward with the best of intentions, but without some kind of focus I think most fans will be left scratching their heads in bewilderment.
Another case of virtue signalling for our woke society?

Totally agree. I should say, before I go much further, that I'm pretty close to the mental health stuff (not as a patient, believe it or not!) and I think it's an extremely important health issue. What's more, I'm flabbergasted how ignorant many people are about it - and I'm including healthcare professionals in this as well, not just patients. In particular, I find it astonishing that, in the main, mental health issues and physical health issues are treated separately, often by people who only have knowledge of one or the other, but not both. The reality is that mental health issues are often related to physical health issues and vice-versa. But the link isn't always made and even when it is made it isn't managed/treated effectively. Steps are being taken to try and break down these barriers, because it's patients that suffer if not. But there's a long way to go.

Having said all that...

What's all this about? Starting all the games a minute late so that people can "think" about mental health issues? I hope there's going to be something a bit more "educational" to it than that. Because otherwise it is just another empty example of virtue signalling as you have said.

I am grateful at least that it won't involve a minute's applause or the need for drunken idiots to stay quiet for 60 seconds and switch off their phones.

Let’s see:

• an entirely different team
  • the Kean Bryan all stars lost to a fifth tier team last season and a league one team this season
  • the hierarchy doesn’t care about the cup
  • a goalkeeper making his English debut
  • VAR
  • 3 of their squad used to play for us

not got a good feeling about this.

Back
Top Bottom