Sheffield Star

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bertieblade

Reaction score
“United pulled off another impressive result weekend, this time away to Spurs, where a VAR controversy-blighted game saw Chris Wilder's side emerge with a point - they could easily have had all three, had it not been for Basham being adjudged to have been in an offside position for David McGoldrick's disallowed goal”.

These guys are quality journalists

Apart from the obvious error, the disallowed goal would have been an equaliser, not a winner. There’s absolutely no guarantee we’d have scored again or that Spurs wouldn’t have.

“United pulled off another impressive result weekend, this time away to Spurs, where a VAR controversy-blighted game saw Chris Wilder's side emerge with a point - they could easily have had all three, had it not been for Basham being adjudged to have been in an offside position for David McGoldrick's disallowed goal”.

These guys are quality journalists
Who was the 'writer'? Please tell me it was idiot from Doncaster - I forget his name, but he was obsessed with some slices of white sliced bread that had been 'mysteriously' stuck to the trees at Brincliffe Edge earlier this year.

Apart from the obvious error, the disallowed goal would have been an equaliser, not a winner. There’s absolutely no guarantee we’d have scored again or that Spurs wouldn’t have.

To be fair, they do say we "could easily" have won, no mention of it being guaranteed.

As for the Basham thing, perhaps he'd dropped a bogey behind the back line in a previous phase and it was that which triggered VAR rather than Lunny's bunion.

haha the best thing that the Star has done is change their policy for internet readers. Out of habit I used to find myself clicking on the star and fighting with all the adds in the hope of reading something just a tad different about the Blades. It never failed to not disappoint :p

Subscribe my arse ..... that paper is now gone from my life!

With Kane in their side it was nailed on they wouldn't score god I've never known such a supposedly top player, disappear regularly.

To be fair, they do say we "could easily" have won, no mention of it being guaranteed.

As for the Basham thing, perhaps he'd dropped a bogey behind the back line in a previous phase and it was that which triggered VAR rather than Lunny's bunion.
‘Could easily’ based on what though? If it was that easy we’d have won. It implies that if that goal hadn’t been disallowed we’d have probably won. When you could argue that if Spurs had attacked us in the way they did after we’d scored, but for an extra ten minutes, they’d have scored a winner. No one has even suggested that scoring late may have been to our advantage as Spurs had less time to try to get a winner.
And yes, obviously that might have given us more chances on the break but when did we last score on the break?

With Kane in their side it was nailed on they wouldn't score god I've never known such a supposedly top player, disappear regularly.
I think you’re doing a disservice to our defence.

Who was the 'writer'? Please tell me it was idiot from Doncaster - I forget his name, but he was obsessed with some slices of white sliced bread that had been 'mysteriously' stuck to the trees at Brincliffe Edge earlier this year.

Darren "Berk" Burke?

That’s the way I see it BB. If it had been a last minute opportunity to go 2-1 up or we hadn’t equalised I’d probably feel different, but there was enough mileage left in the game that it could have gone either way if that first goal had quite rightly been allowed. Both teams mentality could have changed, and there’s no guarantee that we‘d have got the second or that they wouldn’t have scored again.

That’s the way I see it BB. If it had been a last minute opportunity to go 2-1 up or we hadn’t equalised I’d probably feel different, but there was enough mileage left in the game that it could have gone either way if that first goal had quite rightly been allowed. Both teams mentality could have changed, and there’s no guarantee that we‘d have got the second or that they wouldn’t have scored again.
Looking at the stats, a draw was probably fair but we looked more attractive than them in the way we played. (I actually saw on MOTD that our xg was lower than their’s). It’s the massive injustice of the disallowed goal that makes it feel like we were cheated. (It hasn’t stopped me shithousing my Spurs mates though).

I remember that

Looking at the stats, a draw was probably fair but we looked more attractive than them in the way we played. (I actually saw on MOTD that our xg was lower than their’s). It’s the massive injustice of the disallowed goal that makes it feel like we were cheated. (It hasn’t stopped me shithousing my Spurs mates though).
and that's why XG is a load of crap. Obviously the McG chance isn't taken into account.

Henderson had 3 saves to make, the moura (low xg) shot from outside the box and the son strike across goal (which won't have been a high XG) and the goal.

We had Lunny hitting post, the goal, the disallowed goal, Moussets chance, Moussets goalbound shot blocked, Mcg from outside box, Norwoods deflected shot tipped over, Lunny putting one wide in front of goal....

Exactly - following our disallowed goal, we went at Spurs "Full tilt" and a feeling that a wrong needed to be addressed. I think if McGoldrick's goal had been allowed, we may well have seen a different last 30 mins to the one we got.

Same with the Liverpool result - they will have played a different game at 1-0 up to one in a parallel universe where Henderson makes a routine save from Wijnaldum's effort (yes i did have to google the spelling) :D

Could've saved all the typing here, by just......

SHEFFIELD STAR = Screenshot_20191112-175900_Google.jpg

Done.
Easy as that.

and that's why XG is a load of crap. Obviously the McG chance isn't taken into account.

Henderson had 3 saves to make, the moura (low xg) shot from outside the box and the son strike across goal (which won't have been a high XG) and the goal.

We had Lunny hitting post, the goal, the disallowed goal, Moussets chance, Moussets goalbound shot blocked, Mcg from outside box, Norwoods deflected shot tipped over, Lunny putting one wide in front of goal....
I detest xG chat. I zone out of Bladespod whenever it’s mentioned. Hint Beans Roygbiv

I detest xG chat. I zone out of Bladespod whenever it’s mentioned. Hint Beans Roygbiv

I know absolutely nothing about XG or analytics but some people love it. It's the reason Jay was so popular on the Pod as he was giving something you didn't see with the naked eye and it wasn't just an opinion. It was hard data

I know absolutely nothing about XG or analytics but some people love it. It's the reason Jay was so popular on the Pod as he was giving something you didn't see with the naked eye and it wasn't just an opinion. It was hard data
It’s interesting to me in the same way it’s interesting to find out next door but one’s hamster has died

Back
Top Bottom