Sheffield Star

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Harry Kane
2014-15 - Age 21 51 games 31 goals
2015-16 - Age 22 50 games 28 goals
2016-17 - Age 23 38 games 35 goals!!!!!!
2017-18 - Age 24 48 games 41 goals!!!!
2018-19 - Age 25 40 games 24 goals

That's a phenomenal record and amongst that is numerous goals against your Bayerns, Dortmunds, Reals and Barcelonas.

Quite how anyone can say he's crap is beyond me.
I don't like him what can I say, we don't all have to like the same people

I can argue with what and who I like, I just wish folk could accept I don't like him. I hate Shearer as a person as has the personality of a chip but could never doubt his scoring ability he had no equal. The only thing I thought strange was he rejected Man Utd for Newcastle, where he was guaranteed to win nowt.
So why are you ridiculing Kane for his scoring record which is probably even more impressive if anything? 😂

His performance against us is irrelevant.

He's scored 131 goals in 188 league appearances for Tottenham.

And he's still only 26.

If you can't see how incredible that is then there's no talking to you.
Talk to me all you want Nuddy won't change who I do and don't like he scores goals but he disappears too often.

I can argue with what and who I like, I just wish folk could accept I don't like him. I hate Shearer as a person as has the personality of a chip but could never doubt his scoring ability he had no equal. The only thing I thought strange was he rejected Man Utd for Newcastle, where he was guaranteed to win nowt.
I accept you don't like him. I don't accept that he shite, that's just your opinion which again you're entitled to.

All entitled to opinions, but what exactly is it you don't like? Him as a person or as a footballer?
If I'm honest scooter I would say it's the person I won't deny he can score but some people you just don't take to, with me he was one of them Keegan was another.

I accept you don't like him. I don't accept that he shite, that's just your opinion which again you're entitled to.
Yes mate like backsides we all have one I can't like him just because everyone else does, I couldn't cope with Warnock yet he was idolised by some like Monty.

Talk to me all you want Nuddy won't change who I do and don't like he scores goals but he disappears too often.

You mentioned Alan Shearer and praised him for his goalscoring ability.

Well there's only one player who has ever realistically looked like breaking his all time Premier League record of 260 goals.

Guess who?

Fair enough if you don't like Kane as a person but you can't criticise him for his footballing ability.

You mentioned Alan Shearer and praised him for his goalscoring ability.

Well there's only one player who has ever realistically looked like breaking his all time Premier League record of 260 goals.

Guess who?

Fair enough if you don't like Kane as a person but you can't criticise him for his footballing ability.
Please I am questioning his ability to stay in games, and he becomes invisible far too often I'd have Son like a shot.

In football you will get players who get picked for England no matter what Kane falls into that category, like others before him I mean Robson was picked for World Cup and he'd got a dislocated shoulder which he fucked up virtually straight away soon as was on pitch.

In football you will get players who get picked for England no matter what Kane falls into that category, like others before him I mean Robson was picked for World Cup and he'd got a dislocated shoulder which he fucked up virtually straight away soon as was on pitch.
He gets into the England team because he's perennially the top English scorer. Would be a bit weird to not include him.

I know absolutely nothing about XG or analytics but some people love it. It's the reason Jay was so popular on the Pod as he was giving something you didn't see with the naked eye and it wasn't just an opinion. It was hard data

The analytics angle definitely elevates the pod. I remember Jay suggesting our underlying numbers projected our promotion potential quite early last season, just when we were all thinking West Brom were a class above, and Leeds would run away with it. Enda’s consensus-busting numbers were also fascinating the year before.

Your social media angle serves a similar purpose. It gives us information we’re not usually exposed to, and allows us to question our own opinions.

Without these different slants, the pod risks just being two people talking about matches and telling people things they already know.

It’s a tough market. Given the saturation coverage our games get, I reckon most listeners are already very well informed. Therefore, (and without wishing to sound at all critical), I would imagine deadbat’s written reports probably have fewer avid readers than they did during the league 1 days.

So Beans and Roygbiv - keep the stats and alternative views coming. :)

Harry Kane is a top class goalscorer that needs to get out of Tottenham asap.

He's absolutely shagged and is struggling this season because of how weak Tottenham are in the middle. He's basically their best midfielder, plays some outstanding balls from midfield, the ones Eriksen and Alli used to send him. Can't get on the end of your own pass.

The last couple of seasons I don't like how much falling over had crept into his game, but when you have Son, Alli, and Rose with you it's no surprise it rubs off.

Do think he gets picked regardless for England though. Everyone has periods of poor form, doesn't matter how many golden boots you've got. I remember towards the end of last season as Callum Wilson was scoring for fun and Kane had gone a few without scoring, why wasn't Wilson on the pitch and Kane on the bench?

England are too focused on finding talismanic players, should just put the people in who are doing the business.

I really do not like Vardy, the next Megson on my dislike list but he is still one of the Premier leagues best strkers, as for Kane, he will probably end up being one of the best premier league goalscorers of all time when he retires, will he pass Shearer?

Harry Kane’s record as a goalscorer is undeniable. In the last England game he was playing deeper, and hit far and away the best forward passes of the match. Against us he was just back from illness and was evidently not fully recovered. At one point there was fairly significant contact on him in the box, and yet he desperately managed to take 3 little steps and stay on his feet - the complete opposite of a typical fart-at-me-and-I fall-over Premier League striker.

Harry Kane is a real baller and a proper bloke. I don’t like many Southerners but he would be in my team every day.

🚨 NCTJ-qualifed journalists🚨

We have exciting 6-month opportunities to work at The Star, Sheffield. Immediate start required.

Email CVs to me if you're interested👇
[email protected] or feel free to drop me a DM for more info #journojobs @SheffieldStar

Applications in crayon only.

Harry Kane.
Quiet lad, no tattoos, no daft haircut, no trophy wife, family man, no falling out of nightclubs, no dissent, dedicated professional, started way down the leagues, got to the top by hard graft, never a minutes trouble to anyone......

What would anyone have against him?

I detest xG chat. I zone out of Bladespod whenever it’s mentioned. Hint Beans Roygbiv

Do you zone out because;
A) You don't understand the concept of xG?
B) You understand the concept, but you just don't think it's relevant?
C) You understand the concept and acknowledge it's relevance, but you simply find it boring?

Do you zone out because;
A) You don't understand the concept of xG?
B) You understand the concept, but you just don't think it's relevant?
C) You understand the concept and acknowledge it's relevance, but you simply find it boring?
I just think it’s a steaming pile of donkey dicks. For evidence see Scooters post.

I just think it’s a steaming pile of donkey dicks. For evidence see Scooters post.

Scooters post doesn't really discredit the xG model though, it just illustrates how good we are at creating chances from unfavourable positions.

Using the Tottenham game as an example, if we had a worse xG than them, yet seemed to have the better of the chances, it implies that either Tottenham are very wasteful or we are good at creating chances.

Don't forget too that McGoldrick's goal won't have counted towards the xG and Baldock's goal was rather fortuitous. Compare that to Son's goal, which would have had an extremely high xG due to him being so close to goal then you can see why the figures may not reflect the balance of the game.

Scooters post doesn't really discredit the xG model though, it just illustrates how good we are at creating chances from unfavourable positions.

Using the Tottenham game as an example, if we had a worse xG than them, yet seemed to have the better of the chances, it implies that either Tottenham are very wasteful or we are good at creating chances.

Don't forget too that McGoldrick's goal won't have counted towards the xG and Baldock's goal was rather fortuitous. Compare that to Son's goal, which would have had an extremely high xG due to him being so close to goal then you can see why the figures may not reflect the balance of the game.
Tottenham only had 1 really good chance, we had several
No way on earth should they have a higher xG than us by any model

Apologies for coming in late on this Kane debate, personally I think there’s an element of truth in both opinions.

Probably the top English striker at the moment but how good that makes him depends on how high the bar is set against his peers. Good goalscoring record for England but has certainly filled his boots against opposition that wouldn’t the look out of place in graves park.

Agree he goes missing in games. He disappeared in the latter stages of the last tournament when England finally had to play someone half decent. I can’t be arsed to look at the games he’s scored in but I’d bet the majority are against poor nations.

Yes you can only score against the opponent in front of you but doesn’t make him a top top striker in my opinion

Tottenham only had 1 really good chance, we had several
No way on earth should they have a higher xG than us by any model

Without wanting to sound condescending or start an argument, I'm not sure you fully understand it.

xG doesn't reflect how close you were to scoring: it's a measure of how likely you were to score from your chances in the game.

Take John Lundstram's chance that hit the post: he was extremely close to scoring but it was a shot from a decent distance, and a wide angle, on his weaker foot - meaning the likelihood of him scoring would actually be far lower.

Depending on the source of this xG stat, and how sophisticated it is or isn't, it may not take into account the position of the defenders. This could effectively mean that a shot taken from a good position that instantly blocked may have a high xG, when in reality it's barely a chance.

So essentially, xG denotes the quality of the chance before the ball is kicked, whereas your memory indicates the quality of the chance after the shot is taken. If we happened to have a lower xG than Tottenham, in a game where the balance of chances appeared to be with us, it doesn't mean we didn't deserve the result: it just means we're quite clinical, and make the most out of our chances.

Without wanting to sound condescending or start an argument, I'm not sure you fully understand it.

xG doesn't reflect how close you were to scoring: it's a measure of how likely you were to score from your chances in the game.

Take John Lundstram's chance that hit the post: he was extremely close to scoring but it was a shot from a decent distance, and a wide angle, on his weaker foot - meaning the likelihood of him scoring would actually be far lower.

Depending on the source of this xG stat, and how sophisticated it is or isn't, it may not take into account the position of the defenders. This could effectively mean that a shot taken from a good position that instantly blocked may have a high xG, when in reality it's barely a chance.

So essentially, xG denotes the quality of the chance before the ball is kicked, whereas your memory indicates the quality of the chance after the shot is taken. If we happened to have a lower xG than Tottenham, in a game where the balance of chances appeared to be with us, it doesn't mean we didn't deserve the result: it just means we're quite clinical, and make the most out of our chances.
I fully understand the concept of xG, I just find it over-analysing, over-scientific guff quite frankly. I can’t be arsed typing out a long essay as to why because I’ve done it to death - but Mousset’s self created chance alone should carry an xG somewhat close to Sons, and we had several more.

I fully understand the concept of xG, I just find it over-analysing, over-scientific guff quite frankly. I can’t be arsed typing out a long essay as to why because I’ve done it to death - but Mousset’s self created chance alone should carry an xG somewhat close to Sons, and we had several more.

I get where you're coming from with the Mousset chance- I've just watched it back and even though it's a but further out and there are more defenders around him, the chance did appear to be a good one. Based on the image below, it was one of our best chnaces:

EI8m753XUAkDDF0

Seeing that image makes you realise why Tottenham had the better xG; they had 2 massive chances (one of which they scored from) around the 6 yard area. Contrast to our goal, in terms of xG it was on a par with speculative efforts from outside the box. You can bet that if we had been given the McGoldrick goal, our xG would have been equal or better to theirs.

Not only is Lundstram, in any sane universe, level with the last man but he was also checking back to ensure he didn't go offside. Last time I read the rule, the rules was designed to stop teams gaining an unfair advantage. Anybody with one atom of a footballing brain could see that Lundstram was definitely not seeking to gain unfair advantage.

If he was offside why didn't the linesman next to him flag ? Would have been a great goal

Back
Top Bottom