Seen the Last of O’Connell?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He's brilliant in the position we play him. However, no one else plays this way. I'm not convinced that there would be a large list of Premier League suitors, should he regain his past form. Possibly a few down the bottom end but but he's a proven LCB in the Championship and not a proven CB. He had a great half a season in the top flight but he might look a different player in this year's team.

I was being told, on here, that Fleck was worth £20 million and Baldock £15 million just a few months ago.

Last edited:

We were told in the summer it was a great transfer window (it wasn’t)

We are now being told we’ve recruited for the future - I will be very interested to see who is sold in the summer if this statement is to be true.

We were told in the summer it was a great transfer window (it wasn’t)

We are now being told we’ve recruited for the future - I will be very interested to see who is sold in the summer if this statement is to be true.
My guess would be

Berge
Stevens
Norwood
Mousett

If people want to buy him then the injury won’t put them off at all. If we sell decent players then I just hope that our ‘sell em cheap’ mentality has changed since we aren’t ‘desperate’ for the cash.

nobody will be signing joc till january 2022 at the earliest not after the injury hes had but cant see egan not being touted by at least 3 premier clubs so think he will go hope not though egan and joc would be the best cb partnership in the championship
Totally agree with you about Egan, he's a Burnley type centre half that they'll be in for when City or Everton buy Tarkowski.

I just can't see JOC moving until he has proven his fitness at match level. Whether he can do that in the games between the start of season 21/22 before the window shuts, remains to be seen (I dont know if he will play again before the summer window shuts).

100%

We go down with a lowish wage bill and parachute payments. We don’t need to cut much cloth.

We value JOC based on his previous form and his value to the team. Anyone bidding will value him on the basis of his previous form, but take into account the financial risk of him never recovering from his injury. Little chance of the latter valuation meeting the former, unless he demonstrates that he’s wholly recovered.
You mention a lowish wage bill for next season in the Championship.
I'm sure you're right, but there'll still be a number of outgoings to balance the books.
As you say tho, and again i agree with your thought process, Joc won't be one of the ones that other clubs will be looking at to sign, unless they think that they can do a cheeky low offer to get him.

The fortunate thing about the capitulation of us this season, is it will have installed a nagging doubt into other managers as to whether our lads are any good outside our system?

Non of the top teams will restructure their playing style for JoC, Messi, Neymar maybe, but not Jack!!

So as a stand alone defender, is he as good as the £50m+ international they can just go out and buy - no.

Seems a decent bloke, will he have some level of commitment having taken a wage for 12 month, during which his absence has contributed towards our down fall - hopefully.

I would expect a ‘give us till Jan, if we’re up there and your happy, great. If we’re not and having proved your fitness with us, we get an offer from a PL team we won’t stand in your way’ convo.

Just hope Burnley hang onto Tarkowski as similarities around club, manager etc can’t be ignored, and he’s a lot closer to home.

Worth noting also that Bournemouth held onto Brookes and King. as did Watford with Deeney, Sarr and Capoue, likewise Norwich with Cantwell, pukki, buendia and Aaron’s

Bournemouth lost a few but for good money, Ake to Man C for £41m, Wilson to Newcastle for £20m, and some fukin idiots payed out £20m for crisp packet hands

It appears that we been mugged on incomings over the past 2 or 3 windows. Hopefully the same won't be true on outgoings but I am not holding my breath.
UTB
3 points today please.

Back
Top Bottom