Second Season Syndrome & A Tougher League

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
It has been a fantastic season. Both on-field and off-field have been superb and the team have vastly exceeded all expectations. Whilst Chris' achievement has been incredible I do think next season will be a much tougher ask and recruitment will be key to simply staying still.

Elephant in the room

Ok, before I start let me address the obvious point. Some of us, including me, said this in the Championship and look what happened. I'd address that, in hindsight, by saying that most of our first team turned out to be top 10 Championship players. But we are, as a team, much better than the sum-total of our parts. I'd argue that none of our outfield players would get in the starting 10 of any other top 10 team, aside from perhaps Burnley. Most of that is down to how we play and how our team would fare in a different formation.

Second season syndrome

There have been many teams who after an impressive first season have dropped off the next year. There are many reasons for this. One has to be the fact that strong TEAMS tend to lose their ethos and togetherness when the manager starts signing big billy bollocks players on more wages. It sows disharmony in the squad and that team ethic advantage disappears. The most recent example being Huddersfield and possibly Bournemouth. It's also the case that if teams continue to play the same way they are often 'found out', lose the element of surprise and become easier to play against/counter their tactics. It has been noticeable in the second half of the season that we've struggled when teams have matched our workrate and pressed us. The teams which have continued to play their normal game have given us the greater rewards. I feel we'll be paid a lot more respect next season with managers placing more emphasis on stopping our formation working. Of course, a magic new formation or way of playing could change all that.

Tougher League

Liverpool and Man City have been incredible this season. The rest of the top clubs, maybe Leicester and Wolves aside have arguably under-achieved. You would expect Man U, Spurs, Arsenal, Everton and Chelsea to be better next year. Further down, I'd expect West Ham and Bournemouth to do better.

Of the teams coming up, I think Leeds will do much better than Norwich (who were basically here to clear their debts). I suspect the two others who come up will probably offer more than Villa did this season.

Other teams, who have been in the top flight for a while, will have a youth system and pathway in place. We don't have that at the moment. Where they may be able to promote in-house to the first team squad we need to sign.

Funds

Funds will obviously be reduced this year. There's COVID, global recessions, reduced or no gates, reduced TV money, repayment of TV money and our owner has spent a lot of money purchasing the club, however he's done it. It's going to be tough. Teams usually spend more in their first season in the Premier League than the subsequent seasons. That's often because the squad needs that bigger investment to bridge the gap but also as these deals are often spread out over three years. Assuming ours are, then £20 million will be going out in paying for last season's signings.

The silver lining is that given the state of global economies many lower teams will be struggling and it should be much easier to get a bargain.

It's going to be a huge challenge for Wilder and Knill and for me finishing in the top 10 next season will be an even bigger achievement than doing it in our first season back.

On 2nd season syndrome, 2 sides in the history of The Premier League have finished top 10 in their first season and been relegated the next one. There is also an argument that post lockdown could be seen as a new season. We lost momentum but still got enough points that over a season would see us comfortable in mid table.

Also people talk about Huddersfield and Hull and their second season syndromes but both those ended up finishing a couple of points above relegation in their first season after a good start. We are going to finish about 25 points above the relegation zone. Essentially I think "second season syndrome" is a bit of a nonsense. You can usually see from the season before what teams are going to struggle the season after. Take a look at Bournemouths post Christmas record last season for instance.

I do agree it will be a tougher league though and I don't think we will be top 10. We will likely be looking towards the bottom rather than the top but I still think staying in the league for another season should be seen as a success.

• Banned
On 2nd season syndrome, 2 sides in the history of The Premier League have finished top 10 in their first season and been relegated the next one. There is also an argument that post lockdown could be seen as a new season. We lost momentum but still got enough points that over a season would see us comfortable in mid table.

Also people talk about Huddersfield and Hull and their second season syndromes but both those ended up finishing a couple of points above relegation in their first season after a good start. We are going to finish about 25 points above the relegation zone. Essentially I think "second season syndrome" is a bit of a nonsense. You can usually see from the season before what teams are going to struggle the year after. Take a look at Bournemouths post Christmas record for instance.

I do agree it will be a tougher league though and I don't think we will be top 10. We will likely be looking towards the bottom rather than the top but I still think staying in the league for another season should be seen as a success.

I'm not saying we'll be relegated. You never know what will happen in football and bad luck is unpredictable, but I think, as long as we keep CW & AK that we'll stay up next season regardless. I just think it could be several places lower. Which would still be a brilliant achievement.

I'm not saying we'll be relegated. You never know what will happen in football and bad luck is unpredictable, but I think, as long as we keep CW & AK that we'll stay up next season regardless. I just think it could be several places lower. Which would still be a brilliant achievement.

We could easily be relegated as its a hard league and we will have the lowest wage bill again you'd think but talking in terms of history, it would be rare to see a team plummet from top 10 to bottom 3 in one season

I agree with most of that.
Perhaps not the tougher league but, as for all some teams may get better inevitably others will also get worse.
A lot depends on recruitment and player sales, allied to managerial personnel and tactics they employ.
For example, Bruce has done a good job tbf, but should their take over complete they may change the manager and sign lots of players. This may make them even worse!

But I do think we will find it harder with the same group, you have to progress and change if only a little bit. Standing still is not an option, and after getting to the premier league and staying there one or two players may feel they have hit their goal at last, and have nothing else to play for but the financial security, thus taking away some of that competitive edge that when we are on it allows the team to perform beyond the expectations.

Im hoping Wilder can evolve the team this summer, evolve with the playing style and somehow find that extra bit of class and quality and PACE in the team that we really do need. Might only be 2 players, but just two in that squad improving the 11 will really help.
As he has eluded to, There may be a surprise sale or two as well that will need addressing. Either way, I’m expecting some big decisions and a clear change in the team and the way we play next season.

I love the aim high approach of Wilder but I'd take staying up next season as of today.

My attitude may well change in the coming weeks and months when I see what shape our squad takes but I also think as fans we need to stay reasonable in our expectations.

It sometimes seems being grounded and realistic brings criticism but I don't want to see unrest if next season is spent lower down.

Some good points. I think we will need to be a lot better next year just to stand still. As Roy says looking down rather than up but I think with a couple of additions and retaining all those worth keeping we’ll be ok. I’ll predict 14th, although I predicted 15th this year!

It has been a fantastic season. Both on-field and off-field have been superb and the team have vastly exceeded all expectations. Whilst Chris' achievement has been incredible I do think next season will be a much tougher ask and recruitment will be key to simply staying still.

Elephant in the room

Ok, before I start let me address the obvious point. Some of us, including me, said this in the Championship and look what happened. I'd address that, in hindsight, by saying that most of our first team turned out to be top 10 Championship players. But we are, as a team, much better than the sum-total of our parts. I'd argue that none of our outfield players would get in the starting 10 of any other top 10 team, aside from perhaps Burnley. Most of that is down to how we play and how our team would fare in a different formation.

Second season syndrome

There have been many teams who after an impressive first season have dropped off the next year. There are many reasons for this. One has to be the fact that strong TEAMS tend to lose their ethos and togetherness when the manager starts signing big billy bollocks players on more wages. It sows disharmony in the squad and that team ethic advantage disappears. The most recent example being Huddersfield and possibly Bournemouth. It's also the case that if teams continue to play the same way they are often 'found out', lose the element of surprise and become easier to play against/counter their tactics. It has been noticeable in the second half of the season that we've struggled when teams have matched our workrate and pressed us. The teams which have continued to play their normal game have given us the greater rewards. I feel we'll be paid a lot more respect next season with managers placing more emphasis on stopping our formation working. Of course, a magic new formation or way of playing could change all that.

Tougher League

Liverpool and Man City have been incredible this season. The rest of the top clubs, maybe Leicester and Wolves aside have arguably under-achieved. You would expect Man U, Spurs, Arsenal, Everton and Chelsea to be better next year. Further down, I'd expect West Ham and Bournemouth to do better.

Of the teams coming up, I think Leeds will do much better than Norwich (who were basically here to clear their debts). I suspect the two others who come up will probably offer more than Villa did this season.

Other teams, who have been in the top flight for a while, will have a youth system and pathway in place. We don't have that at the moment. Where they may be able to promote in-house to the first team squad we need to sign.

Funds

Funds will obviously be reduced this year. There's COVID, global recessions, reduced or no gates, reduced TV money, repayment of TV money and our owner has spent a lot of money purchasing the club, however he's done it. It's going to be tough. Teams usually spend more in their first season in the Premier League than the subsequent seasons. That's often because the squad needs that bigger investment to bridge the gap but also as these deals are often spread out over three years. Assuming ours are, then £20 million will be going out in paying for last season's signings.

The silver lining is that given the state of global economies many lower teams will be struggling and it should be much easier to get a bargain.

It's going to be a huge challenge for Wilder and Knill and for me finishing in the top 10 next season will be an even bigger achievement than doing it in our first season back.
Enjoyed reading that and I hope therefore this doesn’t come across as nit picking as that’s not my intention but to pick up your point about thinking that Arsenal, Spurs and Everton will have better seasons next season then this, where exactly do you see these teams finishing in the league because I don’t see them finishing any higher then where they will finish this season ?

I think the OP has been reading Porktalk a little too much, is the post a copy of the pig fans wish list? Compared to other teams we didn't spend a huge amount this season and should have a fair chunk left to go towards buying the stadium back. Having avoided relegation we will be getting another £100-125m for just being in the premier League. Revenue from attendances is insignificant in this league and will only buy you an average player at best. The loss of matchday revenue is the same for all clubs only the big six will be unaffected.

Elephant in the room

Second season syndrome

Tougher League

Funds

Interesting and insulting to our manager/staff and players at the same time? So after finishing in the top 10, when will we be allowed to call our players, who play in the premier league, premier league players? Snobbery again? Because CWAK sign unfashionable players for next to nowt, the majority whine like babies. Off the top of my head, I’m thinking Mcgoldrick instead of waghorn? The self harming on here is borderline contagious! Do you think that Spurs fans started a thread on their forum saying what we signed that 3rd division twat for, when they signed Ali? You couldn’t have found a more pessimistic Blade than me before CWAK came, but if history has taught me one thing, its that while ever CWAK are here, I go to bed every night knowing they won’t allow no shit at my club. 4 years in, we’ve got better every season, yet this bobbar still crops up like clockwork. If the 🐷 were in our shoes now, it’d be murder for us, trust me. Yet we, instead of rejoicing, have to carry on slashing! Lord have mercy.

Enjoyed reading that and I hope therefore this doesn’t come across as nit picking as that’s not my intention but to pick up your point about thinking that Arsenal, Spurs and Everton will have better seasons next season then this, where exactly do you see these teams finishing in the league because I don’t see them finishing any higher then where they will finish this season ?

I expect them to pick up more points than this season.

Interesting and insulting to our manager/staff and players at the same time? So after finishing in the top 10, when will we be allowed to call our players, who play in the premier league, premier league players? Snobbery again? Because CWAK sign unfashionable players for next to nowt, the majority whine like babies. Off the top of my head, I’m thinking Mcgoldrick instead of waghorn? The self harming on here is borderline contagious! Do you think that Spurs fans started a thread on their forum saying what we signed that 3rd division twat for, when they signed Ali? You couldn’t have found a more pessimistic Blade than me before CWAK came, but if history has taught me one thing, its that while ever CWAK are here, I go to bed every night knowing they won’t allow no shit at my club. 4 years in, we’ve got better every season, yet this bobbar still crops up like clockwork. If the 🐷 were in our shoes now, it’d be murder for us, trust me. Yet we, instead of rejoicing, have to carry on slashing! Lord have mercy.

Apart from Chris Wilder who described our players as championship/league 1, who said they're not Premier League players?

Apart from Chris Wilder who described our players as championship/league 1, who said they're not Premier League players?
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 There’s no hope for some people? I threaten to strangle my mrs and kids once every blue moon, but do you think I’d ever do it? Cabbage. just out of interest. Can you point me to anything you’ve ever wrote on here that praises the Blades? Just asking for a friend, like.

Elephant in the room

Second season syndrome

Tougher League

Funds

Apart from that though are you feeling positive?

Sometimes teams do poorly and someone has to get relegated. Sometimes that's going to be a team that did alright the year before. That's all there is to it. But when it happens to be a side in its second season, confirmation bias kicks in and people go "See, told you so!"

We might do worse next season. We might even get relegated. But if we do it sure as shit won't be because of some magical wizardry that makes your second season somehow harder than the first.

Can we just put it away with the other footballing myths?

Always said ,it, if your a Windyite your an optimist, if your a Blade your a pessimist, it goes with the territory....... :rolleyes: .
Bugger that, I predict after a slow start (as per) we'll be back on the ball and finish higher than this season........👍
As for the weedys, who cares......:tumbleweed:

Sometimes teams do poorly and someone has to get relegated. Sometimes that's going to be a team that did alright the year before. That's all there is to it. But when it happens to be a side in its second season, confirmation bias kicks in and people go "See, told you so!"

We might do worse next season. We might even get relegated. But if we do it sure as shit won't be because of some magical wizardry that makes your second season somehow harder than the first.

Can we just put it away with the other footballing myths?
I’ll go out on a limb now, and say this, despite CWAK this season fighting everybody else in this league with both legs and arms tied together, We still finished top 10. If they get the budget they need, we never go down. On the other hand, if the board take the piss, they’ll be gone in a flash, and I for one won’t blame them. Then we are f#cked. Until we get close to that scenario, I’ll sleep tight every night, no danger

Still waiting. Just one post with a tinsy, winsy, little bit of positivity will suffice.

No team has ever been relegated conceding less than 50 goals. Even if we see regression (we will, only 8 non-top 6 teams have ever conceded less than 40. They all conceded at least 20% more the next season) I think we can stay under that line.

Next season is all about goals. No team has ever got this many Premier League points from this few goals scored.

If we can score 45-50, concede about the same amount then we'll finish between 7th-15th. That would be a fantastic achievement.

The most important thing is that we get better, using good recruitment and working to improve the players we have at the club.

Everything else in terms of other clubs, poor luck with injuries etc. Is out of our control

If we don’t spend close to £40m again we will struggle. It’s down to the board

If we had anyone else in charge of be a tad worried, I'm a glass half full fan and believe we will be a top 10 team again, sir wilder of peroniville will have learned a lot from this season and know who he needs, and what he has to do to be a success next year. The futures bright the futures red and white

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 There’s no hope for some people? I threaten to strangle my mrs and kids once every blue moon, but do you think I’d ever do it? Cabbage. just out of interest. Can you point me to anything you’ve ever wrote on here that praises the Blades? Just asking for a friend, like.

You, the troll, stated that I called our players 'Championship Players'. I did not. I pointed out that our manager did after Leicester. You abused me.

Want to see me post something that praises the Blades? Read my the first paragraph of my original post.

Last edited:

You, the troll, stated that I called our players 'Championship Players'. I did not. I pointed out that our manager did after Leicester. You abused me.

Want to see me post something that praises the Blades? Read my the first paragraph of my original post.
I abused you 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I’m a troll? You are a slashing clown who never has a good word to say about the club. Can’t finish lower than 10th but come out with that self harming diatribe? What sort of world do you live in? All the experts tipped us to go down, everybody would have gladly given their right arm for 17th, yet after the glorious season we’ve had since 1975, you can only come up with shit like that, and all because we lost to Everton, who’s squad cost £650m. Now I’ll ask you again, name one time you’ve had something good to say about the club? 6,990 posts. 6,989 self harming, despite the best four years of our lives, on a budget of a bag of quavers and a bag of broken biscuits from the Sheaf market.

Back
Top Bottom