Scouting Network

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
I wonder if there's been any mention of expanding our scouting network since promotion? I might have missed it.

There's obviously no justification to scout Europe regularly in League 1, but given the constraints we have financially, investment in it would seem like a sensible idea now.

I'd like us to get some Vikings in again.

I wonder if there's been any mention of expanding our scouting network since promotion? I might have missed it.

There's obviously no justification to scout Europe regularly in League 1, but given the constraints we have financially, investment in it would seem like a sensible idea now.

I'm not sure about Europe, there's a lot to cover, but we do need to keep improving our scouting. It's going to be vital for us going forward.

• Banned
I'm not sure about Europe, there's a lot to cover, but we do need to keep improving our scouting. It's going to be vital for us going forward.

I was thinking more about the 'cheaper' leagues. Ireland, also. It's just with this fiddling around transfer fees to get 3rd division players in when we could potentially get better and cheaper. Also countries with lower wages.

I was thinking more about the 'cheaper' leagues. Ireland, also. It's just with this fiddling around transfer fees to get 3rd division players in when we could potentially get better and cheaper. Also countries with lower wages.
If we stop freedom of movement after Brexit the old 'work permit' system may be introduced. That was quite stringent, you had to be an international playing for a decent country.

If we stop freedom of movement after Brexit the old 'work permit' system may be introduced. That was quite stringent, you had to be an international playing for a decent country.
Sky would nuke Brussels before allowing that to happen. Seriously.

Sky would nuke Brussels before allowing that to happen. Seriously.
It won't really have any effect on the PL as most of the players they sign are internationals for decent countries. There's always been a get out clause (I can't remember the precise wording) that has allowed the big clubs to circumvent the criteria. I'm not convinced Sky are that bothered about the FL.

But you could be right. The thing is, no one knows yet what will happen so it would be a risk to invest a lot of money in a European scouting network that we may not be able to use.

It won't really have any effect on the PL as most of the players they sign are internationals for decent countries. There's always been a get out clause (I can't remember the precise wording) that has allowed the big clubs to circumvent the criteria. I'm not convinced Sky are that bothered about the FL.

But you could be right. The thing is, no one knows yet what will happen so it would be a risk to invest a lot of money in a European scouting network that we may not be able to use.

I can't see paying a few folk a few euro to watch some football in France costing an arm or a leg. They could get a nice Brucie bonus if they find a good prospect that we sign.

Never any get out clause. Managers used to come to Sheffield to appeal decisions.

I think it will have a huge effect on the Premiership youth/development systems. Top clubs use smaller European clubs to basically get around the system to bring youth players in from outside the EU.

Didn't we once try bringing some player in by playing him at a European club first ?

the problem in bringing players from overseas is will they be able to hack it, and do we have time/funds to wait an see?
just remember fir every Ronaldo there's a Djemba Djemba - and that's in the £millions!

Fuck the foreigners.

Sharrow uber alles.

Hopefully Brexit will starve this country of cheaper foreign talent and force the prices down for our own players. Hopefully British players will get more exposure again at the top level and help the national side recover from its embarrassing, never ending slide

But we have the academy to fulfull our needs.

Ive got to know a few scouts abroad recently and it surprised me(dont know why it did) that scouts sometimes work for more than one club, always on a different level so there is no conflict of interest but some work with 2/3/4 clubs they see a player whilst watching another one and think he will suit that team at that level. Scouting appears to be not as expensive as I originally thought and you don't needs exclusivity over the scouts

Hopefully that bloke from Barcelona we signed has decent knowledge of La Liga and whatever is below that.

Hopefully Brexit will starve this country of cheaper foreign talent and force the prices down for our own players. Hopefully British players will get more exposure again at the top level and help the national side recover from its embarrassing, never ending slide
It's more likely to be the reverse though. If there are fewer foreign players the demand for English players will be higher.

Ive got to know a few scouts abroad recently and it surprised me(dont know why it did) that scouts sometimes work for more than one club, always on a different level so there is no conflict of interest but some work with 2/3/4 clubs they see a player whilst watching another one and think he will suit that team at that level. Scouting appears to be not as expensive as I originally thought and you don't needs exclusivity over the scouts

I believe quite a few do freelance scouting as well. So they'll make a number of clubs aware of a player at the same time. If someone signs him, the scout gets a fee. Kind of like an agent but no ties to players. These are often ex-pros or those who've worked within football in England.

[
I believe quite a few do freelance scouting as well. So they'll make a number of clubs aware of a player at the same time. If someone signs him, the scout gets a fee. Kind of like an agent but no ties to players. These are often ex-pros or those who've worked within football in England.
So we could have someone like Gannon doing a bit for us whilst he's scouting for Man City?

[

So we could have someone like Gannon doing a bit for us whilst he's scouting for Man City?

As someone mentioned earlier, scouts normally don't just work for one team. It's not like we're shopping in the same market as Man City, but I guess it depends on his contract. He's likely scouting specific targets but will notice others whilst watching games.

Answer from KM last night saying we have no overseas scouting network in place but plans for the future.

Answer from KM last night saying we have no overseas scouting network in place but plans for the future.

Would be good to know how far down the line we are on this. I understand why we don't pay stupid fees and I'm glad we don't pay those but if we are going to carry on as is we will need to cast the net a lot further

Would be good to know how far down the line we are on this. I understand why we don't pay stupid fees and I'm glad we don't pay those but if we are going to carry on as is we will need to cast the net a lot further
We got that Belgian bloke in. I'm guessing we'll see the benefits in the next window. We need to watch any player he recommends several times and do proper due diligence on them so we don't get our pants pulled down.

Back
Top Bottom